Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Default The Boy In the Striped Pajamas

A very good movie I recommend. The setting Nazi Germany.

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

2. Thanks Olivia, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I read the book.

Perhaps I had a somewhat sheltered childhood, being 5 in 1960, but my first friendship began when I was 3 and we really knew nothing of what each other's families believed or how they made their livelihoods.

Over the years, as we moved onto school, our experiences were very different. I went to parochial school, she to public. My grandparents were immigrants, her's came on the Mayflower.

We didn't care about any of that, we were friends.

Seems the story was so compelling to me for many of these same type of experiences.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 02-25-2015 at 02:14 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have seen it! I won't give it away! Very good movie.

Have you you seen the Grey Zone? Recommend it also!

6. Thanks PixieStix, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I have seen it! I won't give it away! Very good movie.

Have you you seen the Grey Zone? Recommend it also!
    No I have not seen the Grey Zone. I will look for it. Thanks Olivia
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I haven't seen, The Grey Zone, though this old Ebert review, while 5 stars, gives me pause:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...grey-zone-2001

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Oh wow, I will certainly be watching The Grey Zone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PixieStix View Post
    Oh wow, I will certainly be watching The Grey Zone.

I should say that I spent 2 years researching the Holocaust, including films and books, along with original documents. I became quite depressed.

Same with nursing homes, which I did with my ex, eventually getting published. Again, depression.

I avoid the worst of both now, while life is not as 'prosperous' as when I was studying, my propensity towards depression has improved.

11. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I'm about burn out on holocaust films and books as well.
    the preview of the grey zone reminds me of lline from "Man's Search for Meaning" where Fankl says paraphrasing
    "the best of us did not survive.".

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

13. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have had many questions about the holocaust, about why the Jews did not fight back. This movie addresses the fact that many Jews assisted the Nazis in killing Jews and burning them for the promise of living four more months! I guess I might die not understanding!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I have had many questions about the holocaust, about why the Jews did not fight back. This movie addresses the fact that many Jews assisted the Nazis in killing Jews and burning them for the promise of living four more months! I guess I might die not understanding!
    Really? Where did those questions come from?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

I am not sure what you are asking me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Saw this already too. Don't want to say much when others may not have seen it yet. Putting kids into it sure adds a whole different emotional element to things.

Then again, how long has this flick been out now? Gotta be able to speak about it sometime!!

*** Spoiler Alert ***

Holy shit, can you imagine? I'm betting Dad sure had a different perspective on the camps after that little screw up. But crap, gave me a look on my face for like 3 days, going wtf? did I just see. Always harder to digest when it's kids.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

18. Thanks PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Why did the Jews not fight back? Could it have been those that could, did? Most couldn't? They hadn't weapons?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Why did the Jews not fight back? Could it have been those that could, did? Most couldn't? They hadn't weapons?
    Yes there were a lot of reasons, One I think was most dominate was disbelief that it was so bad.

who could imagine that it would get that bad?
    what's the saying "1st they came for the .... and i didn't speak up.... then they came for me and there was no one left."

the soviet dissident Alexander Solzhenitsyn has a quote about How the Russian people didn't fight back against Stalin taking them from their homes to the gulags either.
    the gist of it is
    The police came to the house and took your neighbor away, it must be for a "good reason" right? Then later the secret police come and take YOU away. But you think well you'll have your day in court right? it will all work out.

Solzhenitsyn says when the cops came to the door he and his neighbors should have killed them on the spot. that would have stopped the round ups to the gulags.
    but people generally trust and support the gov't. sometime even when they tell you what they are going to do.

frankly i think we today are in a very similar position in the U.S.. The boiling frogs scenario. Presidential powers is off the charts, gov't spying is off the charts, track your cars, our phones, drones over head, gov't killing people without trials, jailing people without trials.
    If the gov't were to accuse your neighbors of being a "terrorist" and sent them to gitmo would you question it? how many would?

but it could never happen here i'm sure. we're the good guys right? at least the republican are.
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-25-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

21. Thanks Kathianne, fj1200, Olivia thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Yes there were a lot of reasons, One I think was most dominate was disbelief that it was so bad.

who could imagine that it would get that bad?
    what's the saying "1st they came for the .... and i didn't speak up.... then they came for me and there was no one left."

the soviet dissident Alexander Solzhenitsyn has a quote about How the Russian people didn't fight back against Stalin taking them from their homes to the gulags either.
    the gist of it is
    The police came to the house and took your neighbor away, it must be for a "good reason" right? Then later the secret police come and take YOU away. But you think well you'll have your day in court right? it will all work out.

Solzhenitsyn says when the cops came to the door he and his neighbors should have killed them on the spot. that would have stopped the round ups to the gulags.
    but people generally trust and support the gov't. sometime even when they tell you what they are going to do.

frankly i think we today are in a very similar position in the U.S.. The boiling frogs scenario. Presidential powers is off the charts, gov't spying is off the charts, track your cars, our phones, drones over head, gov't killing people without trials, jailing people without trials.
    If the gov't were to accuse your neighbors of being a "terrorist" and sent them to gitmo would you question it? how many would?

but it could never happen here i'm sure. we're the good guys right? at least the republican are.
    You may be onto something here, though neither I nor others wish to agree.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 02-26-2015 at 04:00 AM.