Where I worked previously I had a long conversation with HR that I kind of disagreed with at the time. They told me at mattered very little what I thought about my own words. Let me give a little background...

While the place was huge, the tech room was just a bunch of guys. Of course, being away from the rest of the company, one door, no windows - we often spoke like we were at the local bar. Sometimes we called one another some names that weren't too nice if you didn't know us. We laughed at the names and were all the best of friends. We couldn't understand what the big deal was.

Perception. What they said mattered is what the people heard, and whether it was offensive to them or not. You call a friend a dirty name - in a friendly manner - all that matters is how they perceived the words you spoke. This also went various other ways. If someone you weren't huge friends with, they use bad words in front of you, even if meant friendly, all that matters is how you perceived it. Same with others who simply overhear the words.

What is my point? The perception we give off with racism on our board. And once again, am I one of the worst offenders? I often will start threads about Ferguson, Sharpton, crime statistics... Some perceive my words as racist in nature. I don't use the N word unless contextually necessary. I don't name call if I can help it, and I try my best to avoid what perceptions might be seen by guest readers. But I understand the world we live in, and some will see racism if you just write the word "black man" - or even "Obama sucks".

But I think the majority, the overwhelming majority, know the major differences. Perception can insult. Discussions really shouldn't. Someone shouldn't be offended if I discuss crime within their particular race. Nor when I discuss current major events that discuss racial aspects. Nor pointing out racists like Sharpton. But other things said, even if we don't realize it at times, could send off vibes that one is racist. And even that is OK to an extent, anyone is free to be racist if they like.

I created and deleted a subforum awhile back that catered to "race relations". I made it so that the threads didn't show up at the top of the board. Then I moved the threads and deleted that forum. I don't want to do that again, as it's not fair to either side.

Some of the problem is subjects "leaking" from one thread to another. Often there will be a thread with good discussion, and sometimes a piece of it may be continued in another thread. Problem is, now those words are out of context for readers. In a Ferguson thread, a mention about black crime may seem innocent enough. Mentioning black crime in a thread about Twinkies may not sound quite as nice.

Sometimes it's meant as humor. But sometimes on man's humor is another man's insult.

ALL I'm asking is to please think of context. Keep threads on topic. Think about the perception of DP. Think of us as "family", and do you want your family looked upon a negative fashion? Do you know if we have black members or readers? What about other races? And please don't say you don't care, as this is a community, and we need to think about all of us as a package deal.

I'm sorry for things I have said that may have been perceived negatively, whether stated as such, or perceived incorrectly. Sometimes I don't write very well. Sometimes my out of control posts poke others into following suit.

And please don't yell at me for this. This isn't censorship or being a nazi or any of that crap. I'm not saying "you can't do this?" I'm simply speaking to the community, those who want this place to grow, explaining things, taking my responsibility, and hoping we can be a little better contextually and/or think about how we write things and how it may be perceived by the masses.

If I'm that way off base, you are free to ignore me, or politely explain how this is a wrong request.