Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    Daaaamn. Well, it was a nice car...

I'm trying to come up with a foolproof method of stealing the black one that lives around here.
    I think you'd probably look like you belong driving it, unlike our thread lady.

When I look at the picture, I think "female mid-life crisis".
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Is the Soltice RWD?
    yes it is
    You can see the differential in this pic:
    Last edited by BBA; 06-28-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBA View Post
    yes it is
    You can see the differential in this pic:
    That's pretty nice. I was not aware GM had any RWD IRS cars except the Corvette. Have they been making the Caddys with this feature? I thought they were all FWD semi-cars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think you'd probably look like you belong driving it, unlike our thread lady.

When I look at the picture, I think "female mid-life crisis".
    I'm not sure I'll ever have a mid-life crisis, since I refuse to age beyond 29, and 29 isn't the middle of anything.

But, if I figure out how to swipe it, I'll let you know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's pretty nice. I was not aware GM had any RWD IRS cars except the Corvette. Have they been making the Caddys with this feature? I thought they were all FWD semi-cars.
    The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are both RWD with 4-wheel independent suspension.

As far as Cadillacs, I believe the CTS and STS are both RWD with 4-wheel independent suspension.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are both RWD with 4-wheel independent suspension.

As far as Cadillacs, I believe the CTS and STS are both RWD with 4-wheel independent suspension.
    Interesting. GM is making the same marketing mistake Ford did with the late 80's TBird/ Lincoln Mark 8.Those where both V8 RWD-IRS and no one knew about it. These were the finest riding vehicles on the road for the money and they stopped production of both due to dismal sales. As I recall the introduction of that chassis occurred along with their aquistion of Jaguar, long known for its IRS technology.

The Ford Explorer has been IRS for about 6 years now, and they redesigned the Expedition to use a similar platform about 2 years ago. They both handle unimproved, rutted roads like big cats yet the feature is not marketed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two roadsters, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, will be rear-wheel drive entries. Other rear-wheel drive GM cars include the Cadillac CTS and STS sedans, the Chevrolet Corvette and the Pontiac GTO.
    Source.
    Last edited by The ClayTaurus; 06-29-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Interesting. GM is making the same marketing mistake Ford did with the late 80's TBird/ Lincoln Mark 8.Those where both V8 RWD-IRS and no one knew about it. These were the finest riding vehicles on the road for the money and they stopped production of both due to dismal sales. As I recall the introduction of that chassis occurred along with their aquistion of Jaguar, long known for its IRS technology.

The Ford Explorer has been IRS for about 6 years now, and they redesigned the Expedition to use a similar platform about 2 years ago. They both handle unimproved, rutted roads like big cats yet the feature is not marketed.
    I'm pretty sure Car guys/gals are aware of GM's IRS cars. I didn't know anyone who knows what IRS is who wasn't aware of a shift back to rwd platforms by major manufacturers.

People in SUVs like IRS because it rides better. People in Trucks like Solid rear axles because they're stronger (no CV joints to snap, etc).

People in Sports cars prefer IRS because it typically handles better. People in Muscle Cars like solid rear axles for the same reason as truck guys (also, IRS has more of a tendency to wheel-hop under power, IIRC).
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The ClayTaurus View Post

The GTO has been stopped - But Chevy is making an All-new RWD impala in the coming years - AND bringing back the Camaro.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    The GTO has been stopped - But Chevy is making an All-new RWD impala in the coming years - AND bringing back the Camaro.

Stopped, yes, but still on the streets. The car was also about as under the radar as a sports car could be.
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Stopped, yes, but still on the streets. The car was also about as under the radar as a sports car could be.
    Yup - have you driven one? I test-drove a 2004 before buying my RX8. I liked it - until the first on-ramp.

Felt like I was riding in a car with mattress springs for suspension - HUGE amounts of body-roll, Vague braking, and numb steering. I'd never call it a "sports car".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure Car guys/gals are aware of GM's IRS cars. I didn't know anyone who knows what IRS is who wasn't aware of a shift back to rwd platforms by major manufacturers.

People in SUVs like IRS because it rides better. People in Trucks like Solid rear axles because they're stronger (no CV joints to snap, etc).

People in Sports cars prefer IRS because it typically handles better. People in Muscle Cars like solid rear axles for the same reason as truck guys (also, IRS has more of a tendency to wheel-hop under power, IIRC).

I searched Clay's source and found no mention of the works "independent" or "suspension", although there is plenty of mention of "rear wheel drive" and 'did not sell enough to justify'. This confirms my analysis that GM has failed to market the IRS cars properly, as Ford did.

US car manufacturers build fine products, but flunk out in marketing.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I searched Clay's source and found no mention of the works "independent" or "suspension", although there is plenty of mention of "rear wheel drive" and 'did not sell enough to justify'. This confirms my analysis that GM has failed to market the IRS cars properly, as Ford did.

No - it only means the Car was too heavy and ugly for people to buy. (shrug)

The GTO had near corvette levels of straight-line performance in a bathtub, non-exciting body. That was the real problem. IRS is so common nowadays I hardly think of it as a selling point - it's what is to be expected in a performance (other than straight-line performance) car.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

No - it only means the Car was too heavy and ugly for people to buy. (shrug)

The GTO had near corvette levels of straight-line performance in a bathtub, non-exciting body. That was the real problem. IRS is so common nowadays I hardly think of it as a selling point - it's what is to be expected in a performance (other than straight-line performance) car.
    I dunno about the weight issue so I won't comment on that, but ugly is a marketing failure, is it not? Several posters here commented positively on the OP car's looks, so it could be said that it is you who have not been marketed correctly.

IRS is only common on higher end vehicles, such as Volvo on up. Most lower priced cars marketed as "sporty" as simply FWD with trailer rear ends. So for a car in an reasonable price range to have RWD-IRS it is indeed someting to be flaunted.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I dunno about the weight issue so I won't comment on that, but ugly is a marketing failure, is it not? Several posters here commented positively on the OP car's looks, so it could be said that it is you who have not been marketed correctly.
    No, Ugly is a design failure - NOT a marketing failure. You were stating GM failed to market IRS correctly. I'm saying IRS isn't unique enough for ppl to get past the car's looks.

IRS is only common on higher end vehicles, such as Volvo on up
    I believe Volvo has no RWD cars. The ONLY volvos with IRS would be their Car-platform-based SUVs, or AWD cars.

Most lower priced cars marketed as "sporty" as simply FWD with trailer rear ends. So for a car in an reasonable price range to have RWD-IRS it is indeed something to be flaunted.
    Car guys aren't typically into FWD cars (which ALL have IFS -Independent FRONT Suspension, fwiw), save the Mini, and to some extent the 'tuner' variants of other pocket-rockets (Mazdaspeed3, Cobalt SS, etc). Frankly, IRS is the NORM for RWD cars nowadays - especially sports cars (Maybe we can thank the Miata for that, starting in 1989?) In fact, other than the Mustang, I can't think of another current RWD car with a solid axle.