Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
They pay or they die. You're being simplistic. Our current government thinks everyone should pay for everyone else. You can't leave that out of the equation.
I am not being simplistic. I argue exactly what you say: "they pay or they die". Perhaps you haven't followed my previous statements concerning such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
In a Libertarian world? No one but themselves.
And for this, my appreciation of you increases (doesn't that just make your day! lol)

Again, I live in the world where (off the top of my head) more than half of all my patients suffer from conditions brought on by their own actions. For example (I'll use layman's terms):

Patient #1 has endocarditis (inflammation of the heart and valves of the heart) presumably caused by drug injections. He is 31 years old and has made choices that will now kill him. He is on Medicaid because he has low income. Should society have to pay for HIS choices?

Patient #2 has a diabetic ulcer on her foot. Without medical care this would likely result in death. She is 46 and weighs 320 pounds with uncontrolled diabetes. Had she chosen to eat less food, she would likely not have diabetes and certainly would not be morbidly obese. She is on Medicaid because she is morbidly obese and cannot work. Should society have to pay for her choices?

Patient #3 is 24 and is pregnant with her 5th child. She has no skills as she became a mother at 15 and dropped out of school. She and her children are on welfare and Medicaid. Now she expects free prenatal healthcare. Should society have to pay for her choices?

Where does it all stop? My philosophy is to live as you want (as long as it does no harm to anyone else) but be responsible for the consequences of those choices. That is the way I was raised and is the way I will be until my dying days.