Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Meet Boobies

That's right, that's her name.

I have the cichlids in the big tank, then had to move my frogs and tetras to a medium tank, so a bought a Betta to put in my small desktop tank. While I think she likes it, since it's bigger than the egg sized bowl they keep them in, the filter is a problem. You see the vent holes beneath her and behind those 2 plants. When I first put her in there within minutes she was kinda stuck to those intake holes. I then lowered the filter speed and the dolt was back there a few minutes later. I then turned it to it's slowest setting AND I put those 2 plants in front of it. A little while later she was wedged between the plants and the intake!! I don't know if she's really that weak, scared or what. I turned it off and she does move here and there. So now I can't use the filter. Most of these little fighters don't live in a full size aquarium anyway, and most without filters, but why not let her be in heaven with a perfectly clean tank? But the lame little wuss can't seem to fight the current!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Ack! More damned fish!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks LongTermGuy, Jeff, jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

ahhhhhh....you finally got a Betta...good...I have had a few over the years....that can live pretty long if taken care of....as you know they breath a little different than other fish.... Mirrors usually work well to get them exited...

`Betta Fish get excited when they see me`

6. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That's right, that's her name.

I have the cichlids in the big tank, then had to move my frogs and tetras to a medium tank, so a bought a Betta to put in my small desktop tank. While I think she likes it, since it's bigger than the egg sized bowl they keep them in, the filter is a problem. You see the vent holes beneath her and behind those 2 plants. When I first put her in there within minutes she was kinda stuck to those intake holes. I then lowered the filter speed and the dolt was back there a few minutes later. I then turned it to it's slowest setting AND I put those 2 plants in front of it. A little while later she was wedged between the plants and the intake!! I don't know if she's really that weak, scared or what. I turned it off and she does move here and there. So now I can't use the filter. Most of these little fighters don't live in a full size aquarium anyway, and most without filters, but why not let her be in heaven with a perfectly clean tank? But the lame little wuss can't seem to fight the current!

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    ahhhhhh....you finally got a Betta...good...I have had a few over the years....that can live pretty long if taken care of....as you know they breath a little different than other fish.... Mirrors usually work well to get them exited...

Get a couple more and you can take bets on who will win Think about it DP's fighting fish thread.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post

Mine sucks thus far, but it has only been overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Get a couple more and you can take bets on who will win Think about it DP's fighting fish thread.
    I don't like filter-less tanks, especially when small, as it'll get filthy. I can't believe this sucker can't handle the smallest of currents, but it is a small tank. I'm thinking of eventually placing him in the middle tank, where he would be with 2 small neon tetras and 2 African dwarf frogs. I couldn't care less if he killed the tetras, as they are lamer then him, but I'm concerned he might kill my frogs. Also, even in a bigger tank, I'll have to monitor and make sure he doesn't get caught up in the intake tube on that one!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Think about it DP's fighting fish thread.
    Kath would probably bet on that, hoping they would all croak! I'm thinking you may be onto something here. Put in as many fishies as participants, 10 bucks apiece - last man standing gets it all!!

11. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Raising fish is actually a very educational experience. It also builds diligence. Careless owner = dead fish. I would like to see Jim raise salt water fish. I hear that's a big league challenge. I don't care about fish per se. However, I like seeing someone succeed at it because it's no small feat.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

13. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Raising fish is actually a very educational experience. It also builds diligence. Careless owner = dead fish. I would like to see Jim raise salt water fish. I hear that's a big league challenge. I don't care about fish per se. However, I like seeing someone succeed at it because it's no small feat.
    I wrote out a lengthy reply about how I could be successful with a salt water tank, but WAY too expensive, like 5x that of freshwater, and browser crashed. Fricking little Nemo fish are well over $100. Don't get me started on supplies and filters!

Here is the Betta in with the others. I pan to the left to show the Tetras, and when I show the frog, he bolts for whatever reason. I know it wasn't because he saw me, as they are basically blind!!

15. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Btw, tank was only stirred up a tad from pouring in some new water and adding the betta. Normal that tank is crystal clear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Since the convicts are history I went and got 2 more fish. I got another blue Demasoni, but a little bigger. I also got a flower cichlid. They were nice bright blue colors but were light shaded by the time I got them home, which happens from stress/fear. Hopefully they'll be ok within a few hours. Also got some live plants to replace a few more of the fake ones, healthier for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I wrote out a lengthy reply about how I could be successful with a salt water tank, but WAY too expensive, like 5x that of freshwater, and browser crashed. Fricking little Nemo fish are well over $100. Don't get me started on supplies and filters!

Here is the Betta in with the others. I pan to the left to show the Tetras, and when I show the frog, he bolts for whatever reason. I know it wasn't because he saw me, as they are basically blind!!
    I want to try keeping sea horses for multiple years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    I want to try keeping sea horses for multiple years.
    Don't know much about them honestly. They used to sell "Sea Monkeys" when I was a kid, which were nothing more than brine shrimp!! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Don't know much about them honestly. They used to sell "Sea Monkeys" when I was a kid, which were nothing more than brine shrimp!! LOL
    Correct. If you want to see lots of "sea monkeys" (the kind you're talking about), go for a swim in the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Some talk about a different type of "sea monkey" on Miami Beach on Memorial Day, but I won't bring up that topic.

Last edited by tailfins; 04-26-2015 at 01:36 PM.