Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Holy Crap!

After work I went to the park to relax. Afterwards I was driving out and nearly hit a wild pig! Damn if there weren't three others with him, all scurrying away! My heart is still pounding!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Those things are mean and dangerous.

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    After work I went to the park to relax. Afterwards I was driving out and nearly hit a wild pig! Damn if there weren't three others with him, all scurrying away! My heart is still pounding!

Look at it this way if not messed up too badly that would have been some good eatin'. BBQ TIME ...
    Just be careful driving my friend... -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

6. Thanks Kathianne, Max R. thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

...and you didn't bring home the bacon? Those are supposed to be awesome eating.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

8. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    ...and you didn't bring home the bacon? Those are supposed to be awesome eating.
    Hell, I was scared and was in the car! LOL! I saw the pic of the Grizzly, I'd probably have screamed even with him dead!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks NightTrain, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Those wild pigs are delicious !!! We use to Hog hunt a good bit while I lived in SC, and a buddy use to cook the ribs, man they where without a doubt the best Ribs I have ever had.

Talk about Hogs on the side of the road, South Florida is getting infested with them, when I go down to see my Dad I see them walking along I 75, heck one night coming back from somewhere late at night on the bikes we almost hit a Hog that had already been hit and killed, he was so big that if any of us had hit him we would of went down sure enough.
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-03-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Welcome to Arizona. They are everywhere. We have them come to the fence out back to drink the water we put out for the wildlife. They are always raiding my daughter's garbage cans and she goes out with a baseball bat and tin can garbage can lid and bangs on it to scare them off. One time she had to hit one of them. They have really poor eyesight and we think it was just trying to get out of the way. Really stinky critters.

Oh, and they aren't pigs. They are peccaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

13. Thanks Jeff, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Welcome to Arizona. They are everywhere. We have them come to the fence out back to drink the water we put out for the wildlife. They are always raiding my daughter's garbage cans and she goes out with a baseball bat and tin can garbage can lid and bangs on it to scare them off. One time she had to hit one of them. They have really poor eyesight and we think it was just trying to get out of the way. Really stinky critters.

OK that explains things.

We have wild Hogs down here and no, you wouldn't go out in the yard with a bat and a garbage can lid, they are nasty. I have been in the woods where one chased a guy up a tree, the hog then battered the tree with his head time after time trying to get the guy out, the guy finally had to shoot him.

But they sure look a lot a like, heck they may taste as good as well.

I grabbed a picture of a wild Hog, man they sure look a like. But the Hog looks bigger.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-03-2015 at 05:17 AM.

15. Thanks Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post

LOL! I now 'knew' all this. After I calmed down, I went and read about them from AZ Department of Wildlife. Seems they migrated tens of thousands of years ago from South America. Oh Trivial Pursuit, add this question!

The site does say though, humans should NOT give them food or water. There's too many already, they reach maturity at 6 months!

17. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

They're not pigs. They are peccary's. Welcome to the Southwest.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    They're not pigs. They are peccary's. Welcome to the Southwest.
    Do y'all hunt them and eat them the same as a wild Hog ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    OK that explains things.

We have wild Hogs down here and no, you wouldn't go out in the yard with a bat and a garbage can lid, they are nasty. I have been in the woods where one chased a guy up a tree, the hog then battered the tree with his head time after time trying to get the guy out, the guy finally had to shoot him.

But they sure look a lot a like, heck they may taste as good as well.

I grabbed a picture of a wild Hog, man they sure look a like. But the Hog looks bigger.

Wild hogs, especially Arkansas Razorbacks get very much larger than peccaries. And Razorbacks are damn good eatin' if they are not too damn old and grisly --(kind like some of us men are. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

22. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Wild hogs, especially Arkansas Razorbacks get very much larger than peccaries. And Razorbacks are damn good eatin' if they are not too damn old and grisly --(kind like some of us men are. -Tyr
    The boy I talked about that cooked those ribs, man they where good ( dang getting hungry ) but he told me the bigger and older the Hog the longer he would cook the ribs, hell he cooked them on a low heat for hours, but when you ate them they feel off the bone ( not over cooked ) but just perfect.

24. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The boy I talked about that cooked those ribs, man they where good ( dang getting hungry ) but he told me the bigger and older the Hog the longer he would cook the ribs, hell he cooked them on a low heat for hours, but when you ate them they feel off the bone ( not over cooked ) but just perfect.
    True, a great cook makes a huge difference but I was told by an old timer that had shot well over a hundred Arkansas razorbacks in his long time on earth that the really old and big boars do not make great eatin'. And he admitted having to shoot 'em that were charging him to rip him up with those damn tusks. And most often they will flee from a guy but sometimes the big bad boars will just charge a deer hunter out of pure meanness.
    Place I hunted below Pine Bluff Ark had many of them I always kept a slug as my first shot in my 12 ga. just in case I had to blast a charging Razorback .
    I rarely ever hunted in a tree stand back then so running into one was a clear possibility.
    Trust me on this , an Arkansas Razorback boar can kill a man and have done so before--they are not to be taken lightly.--Tyr