Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I've been sorely tempted to put a couple of people on 'ignore' while I've been here (John V tempted me the most, even if he was a fellow Brit !).

But I've never once done it, and I'm sure I never will .. because to me, giving in to that temptation would feel like a personal failure. Dealing with whatever DP has to offer, no matter what that is, is the only reasonable way to approach it. Creating a personally censored DP is tantamount to rejecting what the forum is all about, in my opinion.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I've been sorely tempted to put a couple of people on 'ignore' while I've been here (John V tempted me the most, even if he was a fellow Brit !).

But I've never once done it, and I'm sure I never will .. because to me, giving in to that temptation would feel like a personal failure. Dealing with whatever DP has to offer, no matter what that is, is the only reasonable way to approach it. Creating a personally censored DP is tantamount to rejecting what the forum is all about, in my opinion.
    If it is a disturbing and annoying senceless noise from outside I think it's better to close a window and concentrate on more pleasant thinks, as I believe that we all are here for a joy but not for fighting.
    Last edited by Balu; 06-08-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

4. Thanks Jeff, Perianne, red state, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    If it is a disturbing and annoying senceless noise from outside I think it's better to close a window and concentrate on more pleasant thinks, as I believe that we all are here for a joy but not for fighting.
    What ever floats your boat, as I said I have never put anyone on ignore and back a few years ago I should have, it is stupid to fight non stop in each thread posted, but as of late if I see someone post something ( personally attack say ) I feel for that person, because if that person has to be a tough guy behind a monitor, well it must be a real sad life for them.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

only ever needed the Ignore button 3x

Con-Hog

Robert_A_Whit

Billy_Bob

Arbo didnt last long enough for me to blot him out....

HEY JIM... Wanna let these three back on the Board??

LOL
    Last edited by Voted4Reagan; 06-09-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

7. Thanks red state, jimnyc, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What ever floats your boat, as I said I have never put anyone on ignore and back a few years ago I should have, it is stupid to fight non stop in each thread posted, but as of late if I see someone post something ( personally attack say ) I feel for that person, because if that person has to be a tough guy behind a monitor, well it must be a real sad life for them.

EXACTLY....if a "BOSS" or "COMMANDING OFFICER" or "TEACHER" has to continually remind their employees, troops/sailors or students that they are, indeed, the boss, CO or teacher....it is truly a sad reminder to us all that they are not (or at least not deserving of said titles).

Jeff, you get at least THREE of these:
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

9. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Good analogy from one of the new, annoying members. If I'm at a red light, enjoying the day, and some punk rolls up beside me listening to the boom, boom, boom CRAP. I'm gonna roll my window up instead of sitting there like some spineless liberal acting as though "I" am tolerant, fair and balanced or actually like the CRAP or as if it isn't bothering me.

Rev. hit it right and I'm personally gonna cut down on the scroll time and wish folks would stop replying to CRAP or at least stop quoting them (which makes the CRAP I've personally banned appear anyway). Ben Franklin or Crockett are worth quoting....not the CRAP on the board.

As another member put it.....perhaps logging off is the best option and I'll gladly do that if "IGNORE" bothers some or before I put up with the likes of an ARBO (a real boring oaf), jaFART or someone talking about how they knifed 100 enemy combatants in an hour's time. HA!!!! That $#!T is not worth my time and if you make my personal ban, you've earned it by spouting off $#!T. I may, from time to time, remove certain folks from a personal ban or "IGNORE" but usually, it is a permanent ban. it beats all the scrolling past them to some degree and could possible keep me from being banned.

If the board's good health is better served by using the provided IGNORE button, I'm all for it. I just wish it ignored posts where others have quoted the scum of the board. By the way, a few liberals have retained enough level of respect that I could never see placing them on an IGNORE list but if ever they stoop to the level of AGNOSTIC, ARBO or others who have earned the IGNORE button, I'll gladly, without hesitation, use it.
    Last edited by red state; 06-09-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

11. Thanks Perianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, sundaydriver thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I am putting everyone on Ignore, y'all suck .

Good Bye, Y'all are now on ignore, and just to prove I am doing like most that announce to the board they have used the ignore option, post something and I will respond.
    Oh goody. Now we can all talk about you behind your back and you'll never know it [evil snicker]....

13. Thanks LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    only ever needed the Ignore button 3x

Con-Hog

Robert_A_Whit

Billy_Bob

Arbo didnt last long enough for me to blot him out....

HEY JIM... Wanna let these three back on the Board??

LOL
    I still don't understand why Robert A. Whit got banned. Jim even told us he noticed the "Mr. Magoo" aspect of Robert. I still don't think he infuriated people on purpose.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    I still don't understand why Robert A. Whit got banned. Jim even told us he noticed the "Mr. Magoo" aspect of Robert. I still don't think he infuriated people on purpose.
    Yes, he did, and he's done so at quite a few other boards and found himself on the outside looking in. Magoo is ok when he's not breaking rules. Magoo was forgiven a few dozen times. But we aren't going to sit back and let someone continually break/flaunt the rules. And as far as "on purpose", not only did he say some nasty things in posts to staff and other members, he also did so via PM. I assure you 300% that he was given every chance imaginable and that his eventual ban was more than deserved.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Why not practice the skill of "leave it be" or "this person isn't worth the bother"? There's no ignore button at Wal-mart, a restaurant or a city park. Why would you need one on a message board? I think just glancing over bad posts with no reply is a better exercise in self-control.
    Some people can't handle the truth so they overreact and end up being temp-banned, thread banned or perm-banned. For them, the ignore function is a better option.

OTOH, I am like you. I just ignore the idiots and skip their posts.

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yes, and it is exactly what Jim has repeatedly asked people to do here.
    Very rarely will one person back off an use the ignore button while feuding with another member. 99 out of 100 times it's BOTH members feuding with one another. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have told members "leave it be when someone gets out of line, if it's only one person, then I will handle it. But as soon as you hit back, now it's a feud amongst 2 members, regardless of who started it" And then they go back and forth, and then both members expect me to take some sort of action against the other member, while both are guilty.

If someone REALLY has a problem with another, and doesn't want to see that person, and doesn't engage that person - then using the ignore button is a few second option, your issue goes away and you're back to normal.

But hell, I don't even care if folks hate one another and refuse to use this function. But then just don't come to me demanding action, and please don't ruin threads, and please take fights to the cage.

And then yet others will demand I go heavy handed and just ban anyone who refuses the ignore button and then slightly fights or gets out of line.

Members choose a lot of their own destiny. And of course when they make their bed, they will also be the first to complain about the board as a whole and how their "destiny" sucks. Well, YOU made it, and YOU could have made the majority of crap you're facing disappear.

The only downfall is what Red alluded to, that even on ignore you can still see some stuff, when others quote the person you have on ignore. It's not a perfect system. But hell, you may see a post or two per day from this person. If they were worthy enough to put on your ignore, you can't just bypass a few posts in addition to that?

^^ All the above is speaking in general, based on many, many users over 12 years, so please don't anyone think I'm poking at them.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

20. Thanks revelarts, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Max R. View Post
    Some people can't handle the truth so they overreact and end up being temp-banned, thread banned or perm-banned. For them, the ignore function is a better option.

OTOH, I am like you. I just ignore the idiots and skip their posts.

*Oh...yes agree Max!...I do the same....I use the mental ignore function...mind my own business .....unless they do something stupid... like waking me up by calling me.

22. Thanks Max R. thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

That's a good summation Jim.
    the ignore function is a good tool to minimize one or 2 people.

But if practically the whole board is after you, then what happens is the individual just leaves.

Gabby has put up with sporadic LOADS of crap from many over the time i've been here.
    I don't think Arbo(sp?) ever flamed or attacked anyone but he was hit pretty hard by lots of folks regularly if i remember. Maybe i'm thinking of another Muslim guy. but i can't think of one of the muslims that have visited here being rude. A few real liberals fired off a few shots right after walking in the door, but it's sad to see the "mob" hit on visitors with a lot of ridiculous personal attacks on their intelligence, morality, religion, citizenship, patriotism etc...
    maybe i'm not in sync with what people expect to do and hear on political board.

But there's no ignoring that kinda thing.
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-10-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

24. Thanks sundaydriver thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Very rarely will one person back off an use the ignore button while feuding with another member. 99 out of 100 times it's BOTH members feuding with one another. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have told members "leave it be when someone gets out of line, if it's only one person, then I will handle it. But as soon as you hit back, now it's a feud amongst 2 members, regardless of who started it" And then they go back and forth, and then both members expect me to take some sort of action against the other member, while both are guilty.

If someone REALLY has a problem with another, and doesn't want to see that person, and doesn't engage that person - then using the ignore button is a few second option, your issue goes away and you're back to normal.

But hell, I don't even care if folks hate one another and refuse to use this function. But then just don't come to me demanding action, and please don't ruin threads, and please take fights to the cage.

And then yet others will demand I go heavy handed and just ban anyone who refuses the ignore button and then slightly fights or gets out of line.

Members choose a lot of their own destiny. And of course when they make their bed, they will also be the first to complain about the board as a whole and how their "destiny" sucks. Well, YOU made it, and YOU could have made the majority of crap you're facing disappear.

The only downfall is what Red alluded to, that even on ignore you can still see some stuff, when others quote the person you have on ignore. It's not a perfect system. But hell, you may see a post or two per day from this person. If they were worthy enough to put on your ignore, you can't just bypass a few posts in addition to that?

^^ All the above is speaking in general, based on many, many users over 12 years, so please don't anyone think I'm poking at them.

SAVES TIME!
    Anther use is in the time it saves . When time is short, make the most out of it by cutting out the blather from a person that has no clue or only exists to try to rile you up. Methinks my 3 years of not using it for a certain poster then finally using it to save time was the right choice.
    Use or do not use, its a choice. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

26. Thanks red state thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    That's a good summation Jim.
    the ignore function is a good tool to minimize one or 2 people.

But if practically the whole board is after you, then what happens is the individual just leaves.

Gabby has put up with sporadic LOADS of crap from many over the time i've been here.
    I don't think Arbo(sp?) ever flamed or attacked anyone but he was hit pretty hard by lots of folks regularly if i remember. Maybe i'm thinking of another Muslim guy. but i can't think of one of the muslims that have visited here being rude. A few real liberals fired off a few shots right after walking in the door, but it's sad to see the "mob" hit on visitors with a lot of ridiculous personal attacks on their intelligence, morality, religion, citizenship, patriotism etc...
    maybe i'm not in sync with what people expect to do and hear on political board.

But there's no ignoring that kinda thing.
    A few real liberals fired off a few shots right after walking in the door, but it's sad to see the "mob" hit on visitors with a lot of ridiculous personal attacks on their intelligence, morality, religion, citizenship, patriotism etc...
    "the mob", really? What mob would that be exactly Rev.? That hit on visitors!
    Do tell.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

28. Thanks red state thanked this post