Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Oh man - horrible :( dead bunny

While at work my 16y/o daughter called in hysterics. While she was mowing our yard she hit a nest of baby bunnies hidden in the tall grass. One died instantly one was scalped but alive. As I work an hour away from home, over the phone I talked her through putting-down the survivor with a whack of the shovel. That was one of the most-difficult things I've ever had to do; I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for her. What's more awful/traumatic - watching a bunny slowly die in the driveway, or doing something drastic to end the suffering? We live in the country; My kids shoot, fish, and that sorta thing. But it's awful. She just texted me: "I dont wanna talk about it. It happened, it sucks. Really really sucks but I cant change it and now they're gone to bunny heaven and I burried them"
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Jeff, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    While at work my 16y/o daughter called in hysterics. While she was mowing our yard she hit a nest of baby bunnies hidden in the tall grass. One died instantly one was scalped but alive. As I work an hour away from home, over the phone I talked her through putting-down the survivor with a whack of the shovel. That was one of the most-difficult things I've ever had to do; I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for her. What's more awful/traumatic - watching a bunny slowly die in the driveway, or doing something drastic to end the suffering? We live in the country; My kids shoot, fish, and that sorta thing. But it's awful. She just texted me: "I dont wanna talk about it. It happened, it sucks. Really really sucks but I cant change it and now they're gone to bunny heaven and I burried them"

That is horrible....Good luck with that...

4. Thanks darin, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default sad but necessary

A really horrible lesson for a kid to have to deal with but also a really useful one. It sounds like you raised a very capable child.

6. Thanks LongTermGuy, darin, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Ah man...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

8. Thanks darin, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

A life lesson. All things die and sometimes its very tragic but sometimes its not.
    Children have to learn sometimes , sounds like you raised her right-she listened to Dad and did as was instructed. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

10. Thanks LongTermGuy, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Dang that really stink for a young kid to have to go threw as well as Dad having to be so far and knowing her pain.

Heck I hunt and am a lot older than this young lady, when I first moved to SC I worked for the road department and they sent me out on a 10-20 ( don't remember the exact call number but it was to pick up a dead animal ) when I got there I walked over to the dog and just before I slid the shovel under it, it moved, scared the heck out of me. I got on the radio and called back telling them that I had a 10-20 & 1/2 they asked what that was and I told them the dog was still alive, well the poor animal must of had a broken back because it couldn't really move, but that was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, even though it was the most humane thing.

Hate y'all had to have that experience dmp.
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-17-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

12. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You made her do the responsible, humane and proper thing. A good life lesson. She'll turn out better for it.

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Her and my texts just after...

Attached Images Attached Images
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

16. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

My wife likes to mow the lawn and had the same experience recently. That's when I feel like less than a person. The best I could do is stand there like robot and ask "what do you want me to do?" Reminding her that wild rabbits only have a three year life span didn't seem to help.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Her and my texts just after...

I love how you tried to get out of dress shopping, but she soldiered on!

19. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next time have your doggy do a sweep of the area to be mowed before you mow. My dog would go ahead and kill them anyway, but at least it would be super quick.

21. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I'll never forget a news story on TV a few years ago. An elderly man was mowing his lawn on a riding mower, driving it in and around and backing up to get into tight spaces on his back lawn. He drove the mower into a corner and backed up to get another angle at the corner and heard and felt a crunch and it nearly stalled the mower. He couldn't imagine what had happened, there was nothing there when he drove into the area. he shut the engine off and got off the mower and lifted it up to see what had happened, and there was his two year old granddaughter. There was nothing they could do for her.

She loved riding on the mower with her Grandfather. She was taking a nap while he was mowing, and when she heard him running the mower, she got up and went outside and went to climb up on the back of the mower when he backed it up. He didn't look back when he backed the mower up. The whole family was devastated, especially the Grandfather.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Omg!