Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Categorized | Essays, This Month

“Is That Really the Best You Can Do?” Quincy Lehr on Poetry and Personal Style
    Posted on 17 January 2012
    When Solon declared that he learned something new every day (or was it Pericles?—some dead Greek guy, at any rate), he perhaps was not thinking of the utility of the Pratt-Shelby Knot when trying to keep a leather tie proportional enough that the thin end does not emerge at an inconvenient and insistent angle. However, after futzing around with the Windsor and half-Windsor (which rather vitiate the point of wearing a leather tie, don’t they?), I am quite convinced I’m right. I make no apologies for that.

The tediously ubiquitous Seth Abramson recently wrote in an essay on corruption in poetry that: “If you spend even 10% of the energy you spend on your writing on efforts to be a hipster in dress or manner or behavior or social proclivities, you may be a tiny bit corrupted.” And sure, everybody hates a hipster, but one suspects that Abramson, who still looks like the defense attorney he once was, means something else. That is, he means that excessive attention to one’s own appearance, social manners, and activities will distort one’s artistic output. This may well be true if one is the sort of little conformist shit who clogs the pipes of the poetry system in the U.S., but in such a case, the problem isn’t the ten percent of one’s energy that one spends adjusting one’s narrow-brimmed pork pie hat to exactly the right angle—the distressing thing is the ninety percent spent on poetry.

If Balzac is right that clothes “are the most tremendous modification social man has experienced,” then far from it being a question of dead time better spent cranking out the verse, one’s sartorial proclivities are important indeed. There is an amiability to Richard Wilbur’s ugly sweaters that is somehow the same amiability that suffuses his poetry, whereas there is a rumpled elegance in both Mark Strand’s verse and in his wrinkled white suit. They would be hard to mistake for anyone else (though Wilbur has a depressing number of imitators in the middle-to-upper echelons of New Formalism), not only in the way they write, but in the way they look and the way they act. Sadly, the same does not hold true for most contemporary poets. Indeed, there are some broad types, each of whom tends to be associated with certain kinds of verse.

One of the most depressing things about poetry is that it seems to attract preps to a far greater degree than most of the arts, though I suspect orchestral music may come close. You know the sorts—the “classic” American tailoring in the khakis and blazers (which unless you have linebacker shoulders or a huge case of being… well… huge, make it look like you’re wearing the collected sails of the Spanish Armada), the knit sweaters, the non-distressed, preternaturally tidy trousers, etc. And with the women, an older version of that girl in Advanced English II with the brown hair pulled back in a ponytail who’d never talk to you. (Okay, I imagine Chelsea Rathburn would have spoken to me in high school, but I wouldn’t have liked her tone.) Indeed, the prettier female examples can provoke some rather pathetic drooling and awkward jump-start conversations at poetry conferences.

And much as it happens in the Homo Prepiens species more generally, one gets a fair bit of gender demarcation. The women work their way through the Loeb Classics, interspersed with slightly saccharine words of thirtyish wisdom about… you know… relationships and feelings and shit. (All of this being naturally foul-protected as “women’s poetry,” even though it frequently reflects and perhaps even reinforces traditional gender roles.) As for the guys… Oh, you hated them in high school, and you hate them now. It’s either smug cleverness or slightly embarrassing earnestness, more typically the former, though the latter is often filtered through a gauze of WASP nostalgia. It’s bad enough when W. S. Merwin writes about Martha’s Vineyard. For the under-fifty crowd, it should be punishable by death.

As for the hipster dipsters, oh please. Anyone with a mustache that stupid has no right to be in the arts in any capacity whatsoever, and the sartorial gimmickry of depressing po-mo pastiche finds a mirror in the verse. Any resident of Williamsburg, Clinton Hill, or Fort Greene here in Brooklyn knows the type of poet I mean, the sort who looks like a walking advertisement for American Apparel and writes poems with titles like “Godzilla Battles the California Raisins.” If you don’t know what I mean, wander into readings at the Union Pacific on Fourth Avenue or Pete’s Candy Store on Lorimer. You’ll probably not have heard of the poets in question—they tend to be legends among the recent graduates of the Sarah Lawrence, Columbia, New School, and NYU MFA programs more than the general public. There are often flashes of brilliance in phrases and images, but, as is the way with hipster culture, they get buried in the worst kind of affectation—the “I don’t give a fuck, but I do, but you can’t know that, so I’ll make sure that I do whatever I do shittily” sort.

The end result is poetry that sounds like Michael Robbins knock-off—and Robbins (who’s based in Chicago, but same difference in this case) has the look down, though his receding hairline does ruin the effect somewhat. But look at his picture on the Poetry Foundation web site. The stubbly near-beard, the wink-nudge Slayer t-shirt (an indie band would be too obvious, see; metal is less cool and therefore more cool, if you follow), the glasses with thick, shitty frames, and the “retro” headphones around his neck—he has it all. May God have mercy on his soul. Oh, and his debut collection (named after a poem of his in The New Yorker) is Alien vs. Predator.

One could go on—the blah suburbanites and slubbish shapeless crowd, that thugged-out slam shouter, etc., but the point is that predictability in costume and verse too often march in tandem. An artist should craft one’s art from every fiber of one’s being, so why in the name of flame-broiled Jesus on a Kaiser roll would one coat that being in stereotyped, uninspired dress? The insistence that life imitate art is not an escape—it is a polemic against the homogenized late capitalist banality that surrounds us. Granted, there can be a certain pathetic holdover from the Counterculture of the 1960s and 1970s, and while Jorie Graham looking a bit like Judy Collins’s nightmare of herself may in fact say something, I’m pretty sure I’d as soon not listen.

Of course, the Godmother of Suburban Hausfrau Ennui, Oprah Winfrey—whose forays into poetry publishing and promotion remind us that our art’s waning popularity has its upside— has stepped into the breach. The March 8, 2011 issue of Oprah Magazine featured “rising poets” saying ridiculous things about poetry (even while looking quite female and photogenic). Here’s the bit on slam poet Suheir Hammad:

The author of Breaking Poems, and an original cast member of Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry Jam on Broadway, Hammad writes about “how people maintain their humanity in difficult circumstances.” She likes her clothes to tell a story, too: “I don’t always look the way people expect a poet to look. Onstage, you’ll find me in sequins.” For spring, a to-the-ankle skirt and sweeping chiffon duster make for a dramatic entrance. “Materials and shape interest me,” Hammad says. “There are no rules—just, ‘How am I going to make this work?'”

In the interests of “keeping it real,” one should note Hammad is pictured in a duster, flowing skirt, and dress that cost $582—never mind her shoes and accessories. Sarah Lawrence professor Rachel Eliza Griffiths is pictured in clothing worth in excess of $5,000. While the whole thing was a somewhat hokier (if more subdued) version of runway stereotype, it nevertheless indicated that one can be a poet and look good rather convincingly—even if, well, some of the outfits were a bit fucktarded and, as David Orr remarked in The New York Times (March 25, 2011), some of the models “are rising poets mostly in the ‘I get up in the morning’ sense.”

Despite this, though, and despite Winfrey’s magazine’s generally ham-handed handling of poetry (contrary to fashion’s generally ludic nature, much of the remainder of the poetry coverage focused on poetry’s putative moral and psychological benefits—YAWN!!!), its pairing of poetry and fashion was nevertheless by no means without merit. One is no less an artist for wearing good clothes—and $582 is not that much money where dressing up is concerned. (At the time of writing, I’m wearing $735 worth of clothing—which does, however, include shoes, underwear, etc.) But look, if you’re not an MBA poet like John Barr or Dana Gioia, money probably is a bit of an object for you, and besides you’re not an Enemy of the People, so why dress like you want that job laying off people in the Midwest in order to nudge stocks up by half a point?

Why is this even controversial? It’s probably rather deeply rooted in our culture. In the first place, there’s that tripe one hears from less responsible school teachers and workshop leaders about how “everyone is a poet” if they can only be inspired enough (“O Captain! My Captain!”). The concomitant is that if everyone is a poet, then everybody looks like everybody, and looking too different is a mark of… elitism perhaps. That people like me make hopeless accountants and operatic tenors never seems to even the ....
    --- more at link...

Gleaning truth and light from the piece -it helps if one has a solid base in understanding of the true definition of the words , 1.snob, 2.arrogant elitist. 3. blind self-worship 4. crying for fame and 5. bullshit
    Yet some small bits of gold were hidden within.
    Tho' it takes a keen eye, developed sense of humor and dancing irony along with the courage to say- even fools sometimes find favor -if the lights are dimmed just right!-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Today is a day of giving thanks. Thanks for our lives and the wonderful blessings that it gives.
    Love, family, beauty , etc.
    Here is to wishing you one and all a -- Very Happy Thanksgiving Day....--Tyr

Poems about gratitude, family, food, home, and giving thanks for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Classic Poems for Thanksgiving

“Thanksgiving Day” by Lydia Maria Child
    Over the river, and through the wood...

“The Thanksgivings” by Harriet Maxwell Converse
    We who are here present thank the Great Spirit...

“A Song for Merry Harvest” by Eliza Cook
    Bring forth the harp, and let us sweep its fullest, loudest string …

“A Thanksgiving Poem” by Paul Laurence Dunbar
    The sun hath shed its kindly light…

“Grace for a Child” by Robert Herrick
    Here, a little child I stand...

“A Thank-Offering” by Ella Higginson
    Lord God, the winter has been sweet and brief …

“Thanksgiving Turkey” by George Parsons Lathrop
    Valleys lay in sunny vapor…

“The Harvest Moon” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    It is the Harvest Moon! On gilded vanes...

“Thanksgiving” by James Whitcomb Riley
    Let us be thankful—not only because…

“The Pumpkin” by John Greenleaf Whittier
    Oh, greenly and fair in the lands of the sun...

“Thanksgiving” by Ella Wheeler Wilcox
    We walk on starry fields of white…

A Thanksgiving Poem
    ----Paul Laurence Dunbar - 1872-1906

The sun hath shed its kindly light,
    Our harvesting is gladly o’er
    Our fields have felt no killing blight,
    Our bins are filled with goodly store.

From pestilence, fire, flood, and sword
    We have been spared by thy decree,
    And now with humble hearts, O Lord,
    We come to pay our thanks to thee.

We feel that had our merits been
    The measure of thy gifts to us,
    We erring children, born of sin,
    Might not now be rejoicing thus.

No deed of our hath brought us grace;
    When thou were nigh our sight was dull,
    We hid in trembling from thy face,
    But thou, O God, wert merciful.

Thy mighty hand o’er all the land
    Hath still been open to bestow
    Those blessings which our wants demand
    From heaven, whence all blessings flow.

Thou hast, with ever watchful eye,
    Looked down on us with holy care,
    And from thy storehouse in the sky
    Hast scattered plenty everywhere.

Then lift we up our songs of praise
    To thee, O Father, good and kind;
    To thee we consecrate our days;
    Be thine the temple of each mind.

With incense sweet our thanks ascend;
    Before thy works our powers pall;
    Though we should strive years without end,
    We could not thank thee for them all.

This poem is in the public domain.

Thanksgiving
    Ella Wheeler Wilcox - 1850-1919

We walk on starry fields of white
    And do not see the daisies;
    For blessings common in our sight
    We rarely offer praises.
    We sigh for some supreme delight
    To crown our lives with splendor,
    And quite ignore our daily store
    Of pleasures sweet and tender.

Our cares are bold and push their way
    Upon our thought and feeling.
    They hand about us all the day,
    Our time from pleasure stealing.
    So unobtrusive many a joy
    We pass by and forget it,
    But worry strives to own our lives,
    And conquers if we let it.

There’s not a day in all the year
    But holds some hidden pleasure,
    And looking back, joys oft appear
    To brim the past’s wide measure.
    But blessings are like friends, I hold,
    Who love and labor near us.
    We ought to raise our notes of praise
    While living hearts can hear us.

Full many a blessing wears the guise
    Of worry or of trouble;
    Far-seeing is the soul, and wise,
    Who knows the mask is double.
    But he who has the faith and strength
    To thank his God for sorrow
    Has found a joy without alloy
    To gladden every morrow.

We ought to make the moments notes
    Of happy, glad Thanksgiving;
    The hours and days a silent phrase
    Of music we are living.
    And so the theme should swell and grow
    As weeks and months pass o’er us,
    And rise sublime at this good time,
    A grand Thanksgiving chorus.

Grace for a Child
    Robert Herrick - 1591-1674

Here, a little child I stand,
    Heaving up my either hand:
    Cold as paddocks though they be,
    Here I lift them up to Thee,
    For a benison to fall
    On our meat, and on us all. Amen.

Thanksgiving Turkey
    George Parsons Lathrop - 1851-1898

Valleys lay in sunny vapor,
    And a radiance mild was shed
    From each tree that like a taper
    At a feast stood. Then we said,
    "Our feast, too, shall soon be spread,
    Of good Thanksgiving turkey."

And already still November
    Drapes her snowy table here.
    Fetch a log, then; coax the ember;
    Fill your hearts with old-time cheer;
    Heaven be thanked for one more year,
    And our Thanksgiving turkey!

Welcome, brothers—all our party
    Gathered in the homestead old!
    Shake the snow off and with hearty
    Hand-shakes drive away the cold;
    Else your plate you'll hardly hold
    Of good Thanksgiving turkey.

When the skies are sad and murky,
    'Tis a cheerful thing to meet
    Round this homely roast of turkey—
    Pilgrims, pausing just to greet,
    Then, with earnest grace, to eat
    A new Thanksgiving turkey.

And the merry feast is freighted
    With its meanings true and deep.
    Those we've loved and those we've hated,
    All, to-day, the rite will keep,
    All, to-day, their dishes heap
    With plump Thanksgiving turkey.

But how many hearts must tingle
    Now with mournful memories!
    In the festal wine shall mingle
    Unseen tears, perhaps from eyes
    That look beyond the board where lies
    Our plain Thanksgiving turkey.

See around us, drawing nearer,
    Those faint yearning shapes of air—
    Friends than whom earth holds none dearer
    No—alas! they are not there:
    Have they, then, forgot to share
    Our good Thanksgiving turkey?

Some have gone away and tarried
    Strangely long by some strange wave;
    Some have turned to foes; we carried
    Some unto the pine-girt grave:
    They'll come no more so joyous-brave
    To take Thanksgiving turkey.

Nay, repine not. Let our laughter
    Leap like firelight up again.
    Soon we touch the wide Hereafter,
    Snow-field yet untrod of men:
    Shall we meet once more—and when?—
    To eat Thanksgiving turkey.

A Thank-Offering
    Ella Higginson - 1861-1940

Lord God, the winter has been sweet and brief
    In this fair land;
    For us the budded willow and the leaf,
    The peaceful strand.

For us the silver nights and golden days,
    The violet mist;
    The pearly clouds pierced with vibrating rays
    Of amethyst.

At evening, every wave of our blue sea
    Hollowed to hold
    A fragment of the sunset’s mystery—
    A fleck of gold.

The crimson haze is on the alder trees
    In places lush;
    Already sings with sweet and lyric ease
    The western thrush.

Lord God, for some of us the days and years
    Have bitter been;
    For some of us the burden and the tears,
    The gnawing sin.

For some of us, O God, the scanty store,
    The failing bin;
    For some of us the gray wolf at the door,
    The red, within!

But to the hungry Thou hast given meat,
    Hast clothed the cold;
    And Thou hast given courage strong and sweet
    To the sad and old.

And so we thank Thee, Thou most tender God,
    For the leaf and flower;
    For the tempered winds, and quickening, velvet sod,
    And the gracious shower.

Yea, generous God, we thank Thee for this land
    Where all are fed,
    Where at the doors no freezing beggars stand,
    Pleading for bread.

This poem was published in When the Birds Go North Again (The Macmillan Company, 1898). It is in the public domain.
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 11-25-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.