Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay
    No Ideas But in Non-Digital Things
    Jim Jarmusch’s Paterson tackles poetry, New Jersey, and the Internet.
    By Virginia Heffernan
    Adam Driver and Golshifteh Farahani in PATERSON. Image Courtesy of Mary Cybulski/Amazon Studios & Bleecker Street

A smartphone is a leash. This deadpan conviction of a bus driver-poet called Paterson (Adam Driver) sharpens Paterson, a new film by Jim Jarmusch that chronicles a week of stifled epiphanies in Paterson’s life. In its quietude and devotion to the modern lyric, the movie suddenly seems almost a revenge piece—a flat rejection of digital culture and the imperative to make placeless films, light on dialogue, to play across the polyglot Internet. Jarmusch’s film instead is narrowly circumscribed in time, place, and idiom, and emerges as an anti-postmodern poem about American poetry.

It’s supremely groovy ars poetica, then, involving two old souls, Paterson and his wife, Laura (Golshifteh Farahani), in an unassuming industrial town whose name means poetry to just about 250 living people.

And that’s the beauty of it; it’s vitally here. Paterson sets itself hard in Paterson, New Jersey, the valley under the mighty Great Falls of the Passaic River that inspired to verse the likes of Allen Ginsberg and the pediatrician-poet William Carlos Williams, whose epic about the city is an animating spirit of the film.

Jarmusch didn’t want to make a film about poetry without a poet on hand, and fortunately he knew a good one: Ron Padgett. “Jim told me he was thinking of doing a movie that would involve poetry and New Jersey,” Padgett told me, and Jarmusch asked Padgett to be his “poetry adviser.”

Who could refuse? “I just act important, spout off opinions, and go on my merry way,” Padgett thought. But that’s not how it worked out. Jarmusch asked, nonchalantly, to use some of Padgett’s existing poems for the film’s central character—Padgett agreed—and then wondered if his pal might write something new for the film. Padgett didn’t want to write on command, but somehow he couldn’t resist the call: he composed the poems “The Run” and “The Line.” This recent work, which appears in the movie alongside four of Padgett’s oldies, is stunning—or rather, as Padgett puts, it is “not embarrassing.”

In the film are no ideas but in things. Those things, lovingly longed for by Jarmusch’s nostalgic if digital camera, include 20th-century totems such as matchbooks, lunchboxes, and dog leashes. Smartphones here are presumably things too—but things sorely short on ideas. Or maybe they are things so closely allied with ideas that they’ve lost their mineral integrity.

The movie is also about a devilish English bulldog named Marvin. In his rounds, Paterson leashes, walks, and also despises Marvin, who represents boisterous competition for the affections of his beautiful wife. But Paterson is a steadfast man of his place, who does his duty by his wife, his bus, and even his rival.

The Guardian cited the runic film for its “almost miraculous innocence,” but I suspect the film knows, and even holds in non-innocent contempt, more than it’s telling. We are given to understand that out of the frame humans as dogs are leashed by their phones, slaves to an Internet overlord. Only here, in a shire unmolested by digitization, are they free. This whole film, in fact, may be as the sassafras leaves are to Williams in “Waiting”—the pure joy against which ordinary life seems to crush the spirit.

Ron Padgett’s poetry in Paterson—together with Eileen Myles’s work for Transparent—sets a high-water mark for the representation of poetry in TV and film. (Amazon Studios, which created Transparent, is also a producer of Paterson; it’s worth recognizing Amazon’s stealth commitment to poetry.) What’s more, Padgett’s simple lyrics are powerful tonic in an age of poltergeist Twitter dialect and sweetie-pie Instagram filters. Consider “Love Poem,” which is anchored around the line “We have plenty of matches in our house.” Padgett says the idea for that came in hearing himself say those words, and thinking “What? I’m half-moron to say that! Well, I'll just write this poem as though I'm a moron. And it evolved into a sincere and passionate love poem.”

Just as modernist no longer designates the contemporary, colloquial language may no longer be the actual demotic. (For that, see texts and Twitter.) But colloquial is what Padgett’s work here is, sturdy and wholesome, and then, in a sly flash, magnificent. Padgett’s broader opus has less Williams to it than it does, well, Padgett. Still, he told me, when he discovered Williams in high school in the 1950s, “I was very attracted to the fact that he could write in such simple, direct, immediate language—without rhyme, without metaphor—and I still thought it was poetry.”

In 1964, Padgett even found himself in Paterson, when he and a few friends—including the poets Joseph Ceravolo and Ted and Sandy Berrigan—realized there would be a wait for dinner at Ceravolo’s Bloomfield house and took off on a joyride to see the Falls and look for Williams’s house in Rutherford. They spied it and sent Sandy, who was fearless, to scout it out. Williams had been dead a year or so then.

At the house, they met Williams’s widow, Flossie, who gave the eager gang a tour of everything, pointing out a secretary desk lined with shelves that held some of the great man’s favorite books. On the way out, Padgett told me, “I looked down the driveway in the back of the house. And I saw a red wheelbarrow. Huh? Really? It was quite thrilling.”

The poem Padgett wrote about the visit remains unpublished—it “didn’t get through the turnstile,” as he put it—but at my insistence, he dug it up from cold storage. (It’s a delight, but by order of the poet, it’s for my eyes only.)

“Love Poem,” which unspools across the screen as Paterson, in the bus-driver’s seat, scribbles in his notebook, is perhaps the most Williamsian poem by Padgett in the movie. One passage is gloriously thingy:

... we discovered Ohio Blue Tip matches.
    They are excellently packaged, sturdy
    little boxes with dark and light blue and white labels
    with words lettered in the shape of a megaphone,
    as if to say even louder to the world,
    “Here is the most beautiful match in the world...

Dying things, such as flames and the matches they consume, and the body of a young wife, are the most beautiful things in Jarmusch’s Paterson sanctuary. But, being poor, real things, made of ash and clay, they don’t ascend to the Cloud. This is the surprise turn of the film; Paterson’s unleashedness to the Internet also leaves him with no cellphone in a bus emergency. And, when the dog Marvin shreds his notebook, he has no other copies of his poems, no duplicates, much less Google Docs. Suddenly, even this humble, Wi-Fi-non-enabled bus driver longs for immortality, for proper ambition, for the poet’s eternal life. (Marvin: Yeah, well, he’s not getting it.)

Paterson goes to sit solemnly by the roaring Great Falls. Maybe in his head are his—that is, Ron Padgett’s—ace verses about jealous love or human bodies in space, as in “The Run”:

I go through
    trillions of molecules
    that move aside
    to make way for me
    while on both sides
    trillions more
    stay where they are.

Or maybe, as happens to so many of us who have lost data to busted silicon or the family dog, Paterson can’t remember a damned thing. But paper is cheap, and he’s given some by a Japanese pilgrim to Williams’s mecca. As writers discover, the next pass, once the first is a ghost, is sometimes better. “Say it, no ideas but in things—“ Williams wrote:

nothing but the blank faces of the houses
    and cylindrical trees
    bent, forked by preconception and accident—
    split, furrowed, creased, mottled, stained—
    secret—into the body of the light!

Paterson still has his pen. In view of those loud waters, that kid is truly unleashed and starts to write again.

Originally Published: December 20th, 2016
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Defamiliarize Yourself
    by Wendy Vardaman

The Halo Rule, Teresa Leo
    Sister, Nickole Brown
    Ordinary Beans, Gwyn McVay
    Bonneville, Jenny Mueller
    The Gravity Soundtrack, Erin Keane

from Women's Review of Books, January / February 2009

Women's Review of BooksThe poetic voices emerging out of the collapsed dualism of deliberately obscure Modernism and deliberately transparent, but often plain and unadorned verse demonstrate a dynamic fluidity of thought. Oppositions—such as narrative and lyric, transcendent and transient, poetry and fiction, formal and free, personal and impersonal, human and nonhuman—coexist, inform each other, and often make for a far more gratifying reading experience than the poet-centered verse of the recent past. No matter how personal, on the one hand, or resistant to narrative and coherence, on the other, each of the five first collections of poetry considered here puts story at its center. And each tells its story in lines that reach for lyrical heights, embracing beauty and artful language and rhetoric, even when—or perhaps especially when—the story is anything but beautiful. All five also make interesting use of genre—chick lit, melodrama, science fiction, romance, memoir, adolescent and children's lit, and pop song—and despite the authors' formidable academic credentials, all are clearly written with the reader in mind, though they don't mind challenging those readers either.

Both The Halo Rule, by Teresa Leo, and Sister, by Nickole Brown, tell a single, unified story through individual poems, one about the breakup of a relationship, the other about a devastating childhood and its consequences. These two books resemble memoir, with dashes of melodrama and chick lit, and both, especially Brown's, also resemble the increasingly popular "verse novels" for adolescents in their focus on a life problem and in their use of plot, although to say that is to be reductive with respect to their language and lyricism.

The Halo Rule zigzags between carefully crafted free verse and free formalism, incorporating rhyme and rhythm in unexpected places. (There is even the occasional sonnet.) "Suite for the Possessed," for example, a free-verse poem about a kiss, ends with a heavily alliterated and dramatically effective line of metered verse:

When the doors open at 16, he pulls back (mal occhio),
    the bright heart a passage (jettatura),

then dread. I know the lateral and play it, that hand:
    first felony, last flight, no fold, this floor.

"Engagement Sonnet," an unmetered, unrhymed, and thus rule-breaking poem whose metaphors reference love and sports (as frequently happens in this collection) likewise moves between the supposedly opposite goals of "free" and "formal" verse. Throughout this collection, Leo's imagery erupts with the brutality of love and of conflict. In the powerful poem, "Storm Door," the lover "throws drinks at the wall / the way Ali threw punches, hard, without warning, / / roped dopes and blinding jabs. / With us, it's always more rock than paper." She reinvents Narcissus as a sociopath bent on sexual conquest in a series of persona poems that break up but inform the main narrative.

The last half of the collection becomes more predictable than the first, as it excavates the narrator's past with sexual coming-of-age poems and poems about ethnic and class identity. One of the final poems, "Love at the End of the 20th Century," uses the language of combat against itself, and suggests that The Halo Rule itself isn't, finally, about romance, but rather about the way the language of romance positions us to encounter each either and the world:

I loved like an army,
    at the brink of war—all battle plans, camouflage,

shoot-to-kill, seizures. The romance,
    first tear gas, then morphine, nights

of white heat, sutures, slash-and-burn, shock.
    But then, right at the end of the 20th century,

in the year of the hostage, as if dropped by
    chopper,
    a bomb that didn't explode—you,

conscientious objector, accident, rapture,
    and me, auto aim and rapid fire.

Then the words I'll carry to the other side changed:
    mercy, surrender, standdown, light.

Women's Review of BooksLike The Halo Rule, Brown's Sister straddles the poetry / memoir / fiction fence. Brown's website calls the book a "novel-in-poems," though the term "novel" appears nowhere in the book itself. It's hard to know whether this story about sexual abuse, violence, and the possibility of redemption would be more difficult to accept as truth or as fiction. Interestingly, the problem of authenticity that has made splashy headlines in the world of fiction and memoir has not yet publicly arrived in the poetry world, although poets ponder it among themselves.

Regardless of its classification, however, Sister tells a powerful female coming-of-age story with many familiar autobiographical elements—class, sexuality, powerlessness, and a growing command of language that finally frees the narrator, at least to the extent that any of us is free. Less familiar is the subject matter of pedophilia, especially treated poetically, and the attempt to humanize the pedophile. But sexual abuse is only part of the story in these often densely beautiful poems addressed to the narrator's younger sister. The narrator feels she has sinned against her sister by not speaking out, by not offering protection, by leaving and, worst of all, by not loving her. Confessing those sins as she simultaneously exposes her stepfather's crimes, the narrator attempts to understand the brutality in each of us, which begins with acts of not caring for the helpless.

As with Leo, violent imagery abounds in many of Brown's poems, which explore ugliness in language that often defies that ugliness, lifts off, then collapses back on itself—as in these lines from "What I Did, V":

When you were five, I took a
    thing that was yours, a jar
    of fireflies you spent all night
    plucking from the gloam, and while
    you hollered from the locked side
    of my bedroom, music and smoke curling
    under the door at your feet,

I set the bugs loose in the dark...

Against the plot's brutality runs a traditional chronicle of the narrator's growing command of language, as in the poem "Speak & Spell," in which she instructs her sister how to spell pedophile: "Who knew there was a word for it, much less a right way to write it down? / Pick up that crayon again, show me what you've learned, / make this into a word, make it a note left behind."

Although Sister seems aimed at female readers, anyone would appreciate the beautiful and carefully chosen language Brown uses to tell her story, particularly as it contrasts with the harshness of its events and enacts a choice between ugliness and beauty, as in this passage from "How She Conceived," in which the narrator imagines her own conception:

Count nine months back.
    Find June,

find the foxfire summer,
    find mama's fifteenth year,
    a dark undergrowth
    of fern and fertile knots of water
    moccasin down at the creek,
    high, green, and indifferent

to the trying of her new
    softness in a concrete slick
    basement where cave crickets
    fiddled in the moldy dark,
    or on a rooftop where shingles
    gripped her, black grit catch
    on her tender bare—

Women's Review of BooksAlthough the remaining collections do not have unified narratives, they are still very much interested in stories, readers, and fictional devices. Gwyn McVay's Ordinary Beans, the most deliberately detached of these books, is also the least troubled and most gentle. It often veers humorously into fantasy and spiritualism. The opening poem, "The Demoness," is a surreal account of an adventure-loving female devil's advice to the poet. "Her Superpowers" tells about a superhero-in-training who needs a little coaxing to believe in herself:

"I think you're ready," the guide said. "You know you're off-balance. Pull up your mittens, kitten. Listen: blood-red cherries."

She straightened her neck. "Blood-red cherries," she repeated. This was the signal at which she must act to become no longer a slave.

McVay doesn't limit her persona poems to human or even fantasy characters; others include "Song of the Pretty Sweater," "Gorilla Face in Crumpled Underwear," "The Griefs of Private Objects," and "Bulletin from Fantasy," in which Decay is considered:

Herself, the Right Grand Corvidess,
    First Feather of the Second Arrow,
    Significant Watcher at the Concrete Gate,
    picks trash.

Not all of McVay's poems involve coherent stories; some gather a collage of quasi-narrative events t

*******- continued--

Consider, for example, "Peninsula," which mixes images of landscape with those from film, so that the experience of nature is not firsthand but rather mediated by the camera:

The water
    played in a tape loop. Behind, the park hissed
    like the park in Blow-Up, a tape
    hiss—the pines started ringing
    like glass. We'll want
    to return here: we'll want
    to play back. In the chilly hotel,
    to have breakfast in fur.

Darling the campgrounds
    are sodden abandoned, their sites
    bitten in and the paths
    steeped in cold,
    chemical soak.
    An etching, a darkroom
    developing. We come in and flick on
    a switch, find ourselves
    in a circle of Technicolor mosses.

Likewise, the poem "Sundowning" takes the standard romantic/lyric devices of attributing human characteristics and transcendent power to Nature, and makes something creepy and menacing, rather than sentimental or safe, from them:

The crickets start praying to the porch lights.
    Their chant overtakes the god.
    Where, my darling, are your eyes?

Called back
    into the grass,
    your eyes at first sent down as spies.

Many of Mueller's poems work this way, but with slight variations: "The Donna Party," the title a play on the infamously cannibalistic Donner Party expedition, mixes the natural with the disturbed; "Northumbria" flows in and out of panicked fragments about getting a trapped bat out of the house and references to the Venerable Bede; and "Memorandum" describes a glass high-tech workplace on the Edens expressway: "The lobby holds a tortoise / a lion a horse and a lamb, / and a white stag roams unmolested." In an interesting bit of commentary on her own enterprise, "Lyric," addressed to that mode itself, asks what it has left for poets:

To look at the sky and beg wine,
    to barter the cardinal's neck
    for cocaine, this is a human's
    animal hell, and from what can I sing to you there?
    Better a false song about you?
    What will the world be
    when you give me nothing to say?

Women's Review of BooksErin Keane's The Gravity Soundtrack is, paradoxically, the most irreverent of the books considered here, as well as the most concerned with spirituality. Simultaneously playful and careful, her poems move, like Mueller's and Leo's, among free verse, form, and the appearance of form, with stanzas of the same number of lines, occasional syllabics ("Where the Wild Things Are"), numerous unrhymed sonnets, and a terrific, barely recognizable villanelle, "Science Fiction." As with the other authors, there's cross-pollination among Keane's poetry and other genres, most notably science fiction, children's lit, and popular music. The dominant mode of the collection, however, is the persona poem. The Gravity Soundtrack is peopled by Johnny Cash, Orpheus, Aphrodite, Aunt Molly, and a legion of characters from children's books.

Funny and dark, Keane takes on some of the same subject matter as the other authors, such as the brutality of childhood, which she captures especially wen in the sequence "Never-Ending Stories." These poems reinvent the histories of the main characters in classic children's books, a method familiar from feminist poetry and fiction, where it is used to show how traditional narratives exploit women. Keane cleverly turns the method toward children, whose narrative oppression is less familiar. Each of her virtuous heroes or heroines becomes a broken and exploited creature, and the narrator's persona through the sequence is cynical about belief and virtues—as are the characters themselves and the inscribed reader. Thus, at the end of "The Secret Garden," "it is Easter, but as we all know, / there's no big miracle, no empty tomb, only / your shovel, your mud, your marbles, your worms." "Little Women" imagines a Beth who has sex with Laurie when she knows Amy will see, then runs off to New Orleans. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is written from the point of view of a "bad kid" who mocks Charlie and the virtues he represents. There's humor here and pathos, as well as variety; the poems entertain while raising serious questions about the exploitation of children who, like the children'ssbook character Madeline, lack good parental care.

Although the other three parts of The Gravity Soundtrack do not cohere as tightly as this sequence, they possess a similar sensibility and return with biting humor to recurrent questions about the transcendent and the transient. The titles of each of Keane's sections imply that contradictory sensibility—"Eternal Playback," "The Express Line to Heaven," "Never-Ending Stories," and "Something Like Prayer"—in a poetic landscape where pop songs provide the liturgical music, a record store clerk is both a miracle worker and a bum, and technology will be the means through which we're brought to judgment, our sins displayed on electronic billboards in "The Jumbotron Nightmare." "The Laff Box" likewise posits an unlikely relationship between technology and spirituality, both of which come under attack in this funny but pointed poem:

Bury me
    with my Laff Box, so I can keep on chuckling
    right into the Afterlife—an endless marathon
    of reruns, my classic episodes, the "Applause"
    sign always lit, seasoned with just the right
    timbre of giggle to encourage my decomposing
    audience and the voracious, easily pleased worms.

It's the back and forth between these jarringly different registers that makes The Gravity Soundtrack unsettling and entertaining, intense and lightweight, all at the same time. As the title poem says, writing of a rise that suggests rebirth but isn't:

We were

scared, fatherless kids who couldn't
    name the men we loved .... We wanted to
    see how long we could hold our breath,
    waiting, waiting, for spots in our eyes,
    the burn in our bellies, for the slow
    false rise from the floor, the lifting,
    the dizziness that felt like floating.

Ultimately Keane's poems try to jolt us out of seeing God as something tidy and suburban. Think of him instead as "A Divine Infestation": "We're not even supposed to be talking about / him. We are afraid of betraying nonbeliefs. Still, / he dazzles."

Sometimes it's just hard to get out of your own sensibility—Hindu or Catholic, narrative or lyric, formal or free verse, academic or pop, East or West, human or nonhuman. As Keane's poem "Science Fiction" suggests: "How carbon-based we are, / hair, some bone, mostly water." These five poets work hard to create both a de-familiarization in our thinking and a realignment along more tolerant and sustainable lines, eclectically mixing the modes available to them, dwelling less on themselves than on the significance of their subjects, recognizing the reader's presence and challenging her to respond.

About the Author
    Wendy Vardaman holds a Ph.D. in English from the University of Pennsylvania. Her poems, reviews, and interviews have appeared in a variety of anthologies and journals; a poetry collection, Obstructed View, is forthcoming in 2009
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay on Poetic Theory
    Cracks in the Oracle Bone: Teaching Certain Contemporary Poems (2006)
    By Brenda Hillman
    Introduction

In 2006, poet Brenda Hillman delivered the lecture “Cracks in the Oracle Bone: Teaching Certain Contemporary Poems” at the University of California at Berkeley as part of the Judith Lee Stronach Memorial Lecture Series. Hillman—whose own poetry often brings together narrative fragments, language-led lyricism, ideas steeped in social activism and Gnosticism, and a deeply personal voice—here examines the role of complexity in contemporary poetry and the benefits that engaging such complexity can offer readers.

As an advocate of poems that some readers might regard as difficult and therefore intimidating or off-putting, Hillman offers close readings of several such works by tracking their syntactic, tonal, and imagistic shifts. Contemporary poetry, Hillman notes, “favors process over destination,” and her readings model a way to enter, rather than paraphrase, these poems.

While her students have often praised what they call “flow,” Hillman examines inventive or disruptive grammar as a means of indicating where “the yes of a brush stroke meets the maybe of a thought.” She notes that contemporary poetry should be read in its historical context, in the wake of Modernism, which challenged and redefined our relationship to the world as well as made room for disjunction and fragmentation in the arts.

Hillman organizes her lecture according to the four main ways in which she believes poetry can serve contemporary readers. First, she argues, poetry helps us see ourselves in the context of a range of environments, and thus to find our place in the world. Secondly, poetry displays the breadth of language’s power and potential. Thirdly, truly engaging with the matter of a poem can offer a reader a means by which to process emotion. Finally, poetry can help a reader tap into the precise beauty and strangeness of our days.

Hillman’s lecture draws on her experience as a teacher of poetry as well as her own poetry’s engagement with difficulty and complexity.

I’m thrilled to be presenting a lecture honoring Judith Stronach to many colleagues and friends, and I’m grateful to Ray for publishing this series of lectures by poets—I feel fortunate to be among such illustrious company.

When I began to work on this lecture some time ago, I had just received an email saying that former Attorney General John Ashcroft, having retired from the Cabinet, was seriously hoping to be selected as Poet Laureate of the United States. Ashcroft’s best-known poem, “Let the Eagle Soar,” was used at President Bush’s swearing-in ceremony:

Let the eagle soar,
    Like she’s never soared before.
    From rocky coast to golden shore,
    Let the mighty eagle soar.
    Soar with healing in her wings,
    As the land beneath her sings:
    “Only God, no other kings.”
    This country’s far too young to die.
    We’ve still got a lot of climbing to do,
    And we can make it if we try.
    Built by toils and struggles
    God has led us through.

I don’t want to spend too much time analyzing this poem. It makes a straightforward patriotic statement based on an image of a bird; it rhymes. The problem here isn’t straightforwardness, or rhyming, or birds; Dickinson, Hopkins, and Frost all employ those things. The problem is that Mr. Ashcroft has not used his imagination in his poem. He needs to sign up for my introductory creative writing class at Saint Mary’s, where we could help him begin his poetry studies in just two weeks. The fact that Ashcroft wants to represent American poetry officially and to be its servant is frightening. His poem reminds me of the 21-year old pipe-bomber planting his bombs all over the Kansas countryside in the shape of a gigantic smiley face. The world quite literally suffers from a lack of imagination.

Here is a poem with imagination, written by Lisa Fishman, It’s called “Note”:

Was wintered in
    unmade of stone and what-
    not

This compact poem, like the inverse of a dreamed place, invites a sense of uncertainty and of safety. Its three-line form suggests haiku, but it is not haiku. The lines hold an unbalanced number of stresses: 2-3-1. The poem has neither noun nor pronoun for its subject; who is speaking? It begins mid-thought: someone or something has been entrapped by winter. The second line, after an implied comma, seems an extension of the first thought; the someone or something being “unmade of stone” is either being released from a previous condition of being “made” of stone, or the “unmade” means “not yet made.” The third thought-perception is the colloquial, but not current, “what-/not,” broken in half by a hyphen and a new line: “what-not” points to the tentative quality of the initial perceptions. To live without expectation seems a particular terror and amazement in this brief structure.

Could the same thought have been expressed in any way other than in these nine words? A poem cannot be paraphrased. But it can be described, its effects analyzed to heighten appreciation for how such a delicate mechanism plays itself out. In poems, the meanings coincide with the rhythms of someone thinking them; they are the subjects of their own making.

My argument for this talk stems from the idea that it is all right for poetry to have made it into the twentieth century and beyond, and that it is a healthy thing for us that poetry engages with complexity, that this complexity is practical and aesthetically pleasing in ways that offer beginning and advanced readers more reality. Complexity and simplicity are not mutually exclusive. The paradoxical inevitability and openness of poetic expression make it both satisfying and mysteriously difficult to teach. To engage the mysterious or the difficult is not such a bad thing. It is mysterious and difficult to be alive and to express why. For lovers of poetry, there is disequilibrium between ourselves and the world that nothing restores to balance but poetry. The Stronach Lectures are meant to address issues of teaching poetry for audiences that have both scholarly and non-scholarly interests in the subject. I want to approach the topic in a fairly intuitive and jargon-free manner, and to present four survival tools for contemporary culture that poetry is especially good at providing: (1) the sense of who we are in our historical, cultural and—for want of a better term—natural (but I really mean “not man-made”) environments; (2) a sense of the power of language, of each word and phrase; (3) the ability to think through emotion on many levels—literal, abstract, concrete, metaphysical, figurative; and (4) an awareness of how particular and odd everything is, especially in moments of compressed thought captured in time. Taking delight in this four-fold toolkit provides my primary pedagogical energy. I think about these things when composing my own poetry and when teaching at all levels. Poetry is the most powerful method I’ve found for expressing the particular and extreme states life has to offer.

The idea for this talk came from hearing hundreds of questions over several decades—not only in the classroom, but also in conversations with friends and strangers—about the challenges of current poetry. “I can’t say I read much poetry; it really kinda loses me,” someone will say. “Why can’t they just say it normally?” or “Am I supposed to feel stupid when I read it?” as a friend recently asked.

The challenges of reading contemporary poetry also came up in a stimulating lunchtime conversation I had with Judith Stronach in the late nineties. We discussed stylistic difficulties of poetry in relation to states of mental suffering. Judith was troubled by a struggle she was having understanding a particular poem, and asked me whether poetry might not have a special obligation to present directly what might seem inexpressible. I said I thought poetry has the obligation to try to express what cannot be expressed, but that it could not always be done in direct ways. We talked about how the confusion of daily life, the impossibilities, the unredeemed moments of spiritual darkness, as well as massive social and political injustices, could all find shapes in poetry. I know Judith wrestled with these things, and I thought of this lecture as a way of continuing that conversation with her. Thinking about stylistic difficulty and the ineffable in poetry resonates in other types of hermeneutical reading I’ve done for decades—including literary theory, gnostic and occult writings of the second century, spam sent by pharmaceutical companies, and instructions for various pieces of technology. I would say all of these require considerably more interpretation than poetry!

A while back, my husband showed me a thrilling article in the magazine Representations by David Keightley, a Berkeley scholar, about the origins of writing in ancient China. I will try to summarize a few of the main points. Keightley discusses divination by fire (pyromancy), and the development of writing in neolithic Chinese culture. In the Shang dynasty (that’s 1200–1050 B.C.E.—around the time of the expulsion of the Jews from Egypt and of the Trojan Wars), the bones of ancestors and animals were used for this sort of pyromancy, often exhumed from burial grounds, and then reburied and exhumed again, and then burned for the purposes of divination. After the diviners interpreted the messages from the stress-cracks resulting from fire, they uttered sounds as they “read” the cracks, and the sounds of their spoken prophecies were carved deeply into the bones and emphasized with ink. It is in part from these painted carvings that the written Chinese language evolved. Keightley notes that these rituals of divination and writing were open only to a few, and that their interpretation remained a specialized field. He demonstrates that this form of Chinese writing kept the power of knowledge specific to the scholar classes over the centuries. It seems these individual logographic signs were different from the alphabetic or syllabilary scripts in other cultures (Microsoft did not recognize “syllabilary” and tried to suggest “salability” in my laptop)—for instance, those in Mesopotamia—that combined syllables or signs to make meaning. Nor were they pictographic. Each sign came with a single sound and a prediction, with its own meaning. When Bob and I were in Paris last summer we visited the Asian Museum and saw some of these amazing bones and turtle shells and my breath was taken away by the beauty of the markings—like the tracks of small animals surrounding their own absence.

The ability to produce and to interpret the cracks, to utter the sounds from the dead, and to carve the encoded signs became the most valued form of literacy. The signs produced in this manner were more stylized and abstract than those of ordinary writing. Because they came directly from the ancestors whose power was considered to be of an abstract and collective nature (unlike the Egyptian and Greek idea of the particularized soul existing after death), these writings had a powerfully generalized aesthetic function in the culture. I am intrigued by this idea of purely abstract, sound-based script—the signals from the ancestors. The value of these markings lay in their very mystery and abstraction, and in the fact that the accompanying sacred sounds had a social function. This oracle bone script exists between words and music.

A few weeks ago, a poet-friend, Lauren Levato, gave me an article about the development of nüshu, an encoded secret script developed more recently by women in the mountains of southern China for the purpose of sending secret messages men couldn’t read. It is thought that this script derived from the oracle bone tradition. The figures are graceful and stylized—even more so than the bone scratches—bird prints, chevrons, spiked angles. Both these scripts seem like modernist practices in the twentieth century. As Robert Kaufman reminds us that Theodor Adorno reminds us, the vast expressiveness of the abstract and the lyric—as in Kandinsky paintings—help aesthetic culture reconceive its social function. The oracle bone signs and nüshu script both remind me of Mandelstam’s poems criticizing Stalin in secret metaphors, and of reports that servicemen in Iraq are doing highly encoded rap and hip-hop in order to express criticism of the military hierarchy and of the presence of multinational corporations benefiting from their labors.

One of the big jobs of a teacher is to convince students that any effort whatsoever is worth it. In the remarks that follow I’m thinking mostly of introductory poetry classes, but the students might be of any age. Some of my students, especially those new to reading poetry, become afraid when they think they are supposed to understand contemporary poems and can’t. Slant or oblique styles of poetry make them feel stupid, even if the very same techniques are used in music videos. Panicked that they will produce the wrong response, students may grow impatient in an increasingly impatient culture, believing that if poetry does not have an immediate appeal, it is undemocratic and ungenerous. Even some grown-up, famous poets put forth these opinions—arguing that poetry should be easy, should give a quick story, should never make them feel as if a highbrow or academic trick is being played on them. My goal as a teacher is to bring students closer to the initiating impulses of the poem, so that what might have evoked a hostile response can move them to a sense of accomplishment, to the deep pleasures of finding multiple interpretations for what may have seemed obscure.

The fearful student and the equally fearful famous poet might need a small review of the basics of twentieth-century modernism, which redefined the nature of art in several important ways: (1) in light of—or in the dark of—the First World War, modernism broke from the past—but also brought a new consciousness of cultural history—think art deco with its Egyptian motifs; (2) modernism brought an interest—through Freud, but not only Freud—in the mind’s psychological processes, which inspired artists to incorporate images reflecting mental process; (3) modernism defined creativity in new ways (by redefining god and nature); and finally, (4) modernism recognized that the modern city—people living together as alienated beings—was as important to the subject matter of aesthetic expression as rural scenes had been to pastoral traditions. (Readers might want to take a look at Charles Altieri’s The Art of 20th Century American Poetry.)

To most of you this will seem basic, but I wanted to remind the reader that a little background goes a long way. These redefinitions—what we are, what art is, what nature/god is, what we are in cities in relation to our mental lives—and the fact that dramatically new forms of art can include the threadlike, the fragmentary, the unfinished, that objects can point to their own synthetic qualities—all these are concepts worth reminding students of—even if “make it new” is by now one hundred years old. Much contemporary poetry that readers find mysterious makes use of modernist modes, tones, types, levels, styles that we take for granted in other aspects of our lives. It doesn’t take more than half a day to present this summary to students, though it might take them many years to absorb the art itself. Not having arrived at the twentieth century is, incidentally, one of the many problems in Mr. Ashcroft’s poem.

The fact that art comes from other art as well as from non-art, that it should be current, that the dilemmas of our present poetry come from unresolved arguments about representation and expression in the nineteenth century should not dismay us—it is a good thing. As romantic emotion, symbolist moody alienation, surrealist wild irrationality or Russian formalist philosophy make their way into contemporary poetry, we can remind students that originality in art, as in the human genome, resides in the way things are reconfigured, not in some god-given attribute (though I personally talk to rocks, plants, birds and the piece of paper when composing my own poetry, and thus do not want to put down people who think an actual muse still exists). Oracle bones of ancient China speak metaphorically through their ancestors’ recirculating messages. An overwhelmed, busy, depressed, confused or mystified contemporary reader can depend on the poet to make expressive signs, to give meaning to—or even to undermine meaning in—the sounds of her time.

I want to go through the four-fold toolkit I mentioned earlier: the sense of who we are in our environments; the understanding that every word and phrase matters and can be of interest; the idea that meaning circulates on many levels; and the conviction that the strange mystery of our existence can be represented. To proceed inductively, I thought about some poems I have taught in the last few years, and recalled some of the pedagogical challenges they present.

I. The sense of who we are in our environments

Contemporary poetry has a huge range of approaches to this question of who we are. What we find in nineteenth-century poetry—Wordsworth’s hopeful meditations, Coleridge’s depressed intimate ones, the symbolist Baudelaire’s haunted outsider descriptions, Rimbaud’s hallucinatory narratives, Whitman’s capacious sweep, Dickinson’s uncanny metaphysical puzzles—provided twentieth century poetry with a satura—“satura” being a food medley, what the word “satire” comes from—of mental states. In that mix, for example, Stevens’s speakers are both Keatsian and très français; Eliot and Pound offer collage fragments of literature, polyphonies of urban, pastoral, medieval and Renaissance voices; Gertrude Stein assembles human thought patterns in abstract, cubist fashion; HD introduces vatic and oracular lyricism, while Williams uses concrete, everyday American speech, and so on.

Often the persona in poetry is assumed to be that of the poet recounting an experience, or series of thoughts, about an experience in narrative or meditative form. That this became the main mode in the twentieth century is probably because personal accounts have, and well continue to have, a particular appeal. When students first come to poetry, they are excited that it can address their own states of feeling, their questions: Who am I? What is my problem? The lyric poem is still going steady with the turbulent heart that loves its own turbulence. The basic desire for emotional identification, and the lack of it, brings most people to poetry in the first place. No poet forgets the power of emotion. My introductory students have often been drawn to Sylvia Plath’s poetry despite—or perhaps because of—the perilous nature of her metaphors. Here is one of her poems:

Morning Song

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
    The midwife slapped your foot-soles, and your bald cry
    Took its place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
    In a drafty museum, your nakedness
    Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I’m no more your mother
    Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
    Effacement at the wind’s hand.

All night your moth-breath
    Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
    A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
    In my Victorian nightgown.
    Your mouth opens clean as a cat’s. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
    Your handful of notes;
    The clear vowels rise like balloons.

Many students can enter this poem relatively easily. It seems to have a “single speaker,” and though Plath deploys wildly contradictory metaphors, her persona is a familiar figure—that of an exhausted new mother. The style is one of apparent realism: this could “really happen.” The poem depicts feelings and a setting most students, even if they don’t have children, recognize. The new parent in the poem feels alienated from her new baby. Students can follow how Plath builds her personal myth: the baby is an “arrival” in a museum, the mother a rather detached figure who moves between feeling like a cloud and like a cow. The images show the progress and irony of her condition as they range from surreal—moth-breath, a window swallowing stars—to a more hopeful, easier simile: vowels like balloons. When students are first studying poetry, they are often told it is bad to “mix metaphors,” but Plath, like Dickinson, wildly mixes metaphors in search of the transformation into a different realm. It’s good to question prejudices about inconsistency. In addition, I wanted to present this as an example of a poem with difficult metaphorical language that is relatively easy to teach.

It’s more challenging to teach poetry that confuses the issue of “who is speaking.” I’ve often taught a book-length poem, Muse and Drudge, by Harryette Mullen, of whom Sandra Cisneros has written, “Hip hyperbole, thy queen is Ms. Mullen.” The book, a lyric meditation which shakes up the question of “speaker” and “speakingness,” uses the style of a collage-voice, a composite of many types of utterance. Its playfulness ceaselessly undermines our expectations of poetic procedure, mixing common aphorisms, song lyrics, cultural truisms, mottos, clichés, asides. Written in unpunctuated quatrains, every page of this eighty-page book can be taken as a separate work. You can read each page by itself, each quatrain by itself; even each line can stand as a separate poem. The opening of the book, like any epic, invokes the muse figure—in this case Sapphire, punning on lyric poet Sappho with her lyre/liar:

Sapphire’s lyre styles
    plucked eyebrows
    bow lips and legs
    whose lives are lonely too

my last nerve’s lucid music
    sure chewed up the juicy fruit
    you must don’t like my peaches
    there’s some left on the tree

you’ve had my thrills
    a reefer a tub of gin
    don’t mess with me I’m evil
    I’m in your sin

clipped bird eclipsed moon
    soon no memory of you
    no drive or desire survives
    you flutter invisible still

In response to this poem, one student noted: “You know who is talking, but it’s confusing to know what she’s saying.” Another said: “You don’t know who is talking, but she has a really particular style of talking.” Not being certain of who is speaking in a poem isn’t always appealing to a junior English major endeavoring to “find herself” through poetry, to identify with a group, to find the money to buy a sweatshirt with a hood, or to believe someone will love only her. Poetry without an identifiable speaker or a single emotional register may be a hard sell. It is nonetheless inappropriate at every level to say to a student that it doesn’t matter whether she finds herself in poetry or not; it is also inappropriate not to include many alternative strategies for self-discovery—such as Mullen’s kind of poetry.

Mullen’s stanzas present multiple possibilities rather than assertions of bold certainty of what we are. Each line pursues its own logic in paratactic relation to others. The lines and phrases interact, and all interaction becomes the “who is speaking.” When students discuss the speaker issue here, the word polyvocal comes up—how the character in the poem pursues her cultural, sexual, ethnic critiques, taking references from jazz, literature from the Renaissance to the present, from mo ........................................

much more at link, great article but tis, very, very long..-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Essay on Poetic Theory
    Cracks in the Oracle Bone: Teaching Certain Contemporary Poems (2006)
    By Brenda Hillman
    Introduction

In 2006, poet Brenda Hillman delivered the lecture “Cracks in the Oracle Bone: Teaching Certain Contemporary Poems” at the University of California at Berkeley as part of the Judith Lee Stronach Memorial Lecture Series. Hillman—whose own poetry often brings together narrative fragments, language-led lyricism, ideas steeped in social activism and Gnosticism, and a deeply personal voice—here examines the role of complexity in contemporary poetry and the benefits that engaging such complexity can offer readers.

As an advocate of poems that some readers might regard as difficult and therefore intimidating or off-putting, Hillman offers close readings of several such works by tracking their syntactic, tonal, and imagistic shifts. Contemporary poetry, Hillman notes, “favors process over destination,” and her readings model a way to enter, rather than paraphrase, these poems.

While her students have often praised what they call “flow,” Hillman examines inventive or disruptive grammar as a means of indicating where “the yes of a brush stroke meets the maybe of a thought.” She notes that contemporary poetry should be read in its historical context, in the wake of Modernism, which challenged and redefined our relationship to the world as well as made room for disjunction and fragmentation in the arts.

Hillman organizes her lecture according to the four main ways in which she believes poetry can serve contemporary readers. First, she argues, poetry helps us see ourselves in the context of a range of environments, and thus to find our place in the world. Secondly, poetry displays the breadth of language’s power and potential. Thirdly, truly engaging with the matter of a poem can offer a reader a means by which to process emotion. Finally, poetry can help a reader tap into the precise beauty and strangeness of our days.

Hillman’s lecture draws on her experience as a teacher of poetry as well as her own poetry’s engagement with difficulty and complexity.

I’m thrilled to be presenting a lecture honoring Judith Stronach to many colleagues and friends, and I’m grateful to Ray for publishing this series of lectures by poets—I feel fortunate to be among such illustrious company.

When I began to work on this lecture some time ago, I had just received an email saying that former Attorney General John Ashcroft, having retired from the Cabinet, was seriously hoping to be selected as Poet Laureate of the United States. Ashcroft’s best-known poem, “Let the Eagle Soar,” was used at President Bush’s swearing-in ceremony:

Let the eagle soar,
    Like she’s never soared before.
    From rocky coast to golden shore,
    Let the mighty eagle soar.
    Soar with healing in her wings,
    As the land beneath her sings:
    “Only God, no other kings.”
    This country’s far too young to die.
    We’ve still got a lot of climbing to do,
    And we can make it if we try.
    Built by toils and struggles
    God has led us through.

I don’t want to spend too much time analyzing this poem. It makes a straightforward patriotic statement based on an image of a bird; it rhymes. The problem here isn’t straightforwardness, or rhyming, or birds; Dickinson, Hopkins, and Frost all employ those things. The problem is that Mr. Ashcroft has not used his imagination in his poem. He needs to sign up for my introductory creative writing class at Saint Mary’s, where we could help him begin his poetry studies in just two weeks. The fact that Ashcroft wants to represent American poetry officially and to be its servant is frightening. His poem reminds me of the 21-year old pipe-bomber planting his bombs all over the Kansas countryside in the shape of a gigantic smiley face. The world quite literally suffers from a lack of imagination.

Here is a poem with imagination, written by Lisa Fishman, It’s called “Note”:

Was wintered in
    unmade of stone and what-
    not

This compact poem, like the inverse of a dreamed place, invites a sense of uncertainty and of safety. Its three-line form suggests haiku, but it is not haiku. The lines hold an unbalanced number of stresses: 2-3-1. The poem has neither noun nor pronoun for its subject; who is speaking? It begins mid-thought: someone or something has been entrapped by winter. The second line, after an implied comma, seems an extension of the first thought; the someone or something being “unmade of stone” is either being released from a previous condition of being “made” of stone, or the “unmade” means “not yet made.” The third thought-perception is the colloquial, but not current, “what-/not,” broken in half by a hyphen and a new line: “what-not” points to the tentative quality of the initial perceptions. To live without expectation seems a particular terror and amazement in this brief structure.

Could the same thought have been expressed in any way other than in these nine words? A poem cannot be paraphrased. But it can be described, its effects analyzed to heighten appreciation for how such a delicate mechanism plays itself out. In poems, the meanings coincide with the rhythms of someone thinking them; they are the subjects of their own making.

My argument for this talk stems from the idea that it is all right for poetry to have made it into the twentieth century and beyond, and that it is a healthy thing for us that poetry engages with complexity, that this complexity is practical and aesthetically pleasing in ways that offer beginning and advanced readers more reality. Complexity and simplicity are not mutually exclusive. The paradoxical inevitability and openness of poetic expression make it both satisfying and mysteriously difficult to teach. To engage the mysterious or the difficult is not such a bad thing. It is mysterious and difficult to be alive and to express why. For lovers of poetry, there is disequilibrium between ourselves and the world that nothing restores to balance but poetry. The Stronach Lectures are meant to address issues of teaching poetry for audiences that have both scholarly and non-scholarly interests in the subject. I want to approach the topic in a fairly intuitive and jargon-free manner, and to present four survival tools for contemporary culture that poetry is especially good at providing: (1) the sense of who we are in our historical, cultural and—for want of a better term—natural (but I really mean “not man-made”) environments; (2) a sense of the power of language, of each word and phrase; (3) the ability to think through emotion on many levels—literal, abstract, concrete, metaphysical, figurative; and (4) an awareness of how particular and odd everything is, especially in moments of compressed thought captured in time. Taking delight in this four-fold toolkit provides my primary pedagogical energy. I think about these things when composing my own poetry and when teaching at all levels. Poetry is the most powerful method I’ve found for expressing the particular and extreme states life has to offer.

The idea for this talk came from hearing hundreds of questions over several decades—not only in the classroom, but also in conversations with friends and strangers—about the challenges of current poetry. “I can’t say I read much poetry; it really kinda loses me,” someone will say. “Why can’t they just say it normally?” or “Am I supposed to feel stupid when I read it?” as a friend recently asked.

The challenges of reading contemporary poetry also came up in a stimulating lunchtime conversation I had with Judith Stronach in the late nineties. We discussed stylistic difficulties of poetry in relation to states of mental suffering. Judith was troubled by a struggle she was having understanding a particular poem, and asked me whether poetry might not have a special obligation to present directly what might seem inexpressible. I said I thought poetry has the obligation to try to express what cannot be expressed, but that it could not always be done in direct ways. We talked about how the confusion of daily life, the impossibilities, the unredeemed moments of spiritual darkness, as well as massive social and political injustices, could all find shapes in poetry. I know Judith wrestled with these things, and I thought of this lecture as a way of continuing that conversation with her. Thinking about stylistic difficulty and the ineffable in poetry resonates in other types of hermeneutical reading I’ve done for decades—including literary theory, gnostic and occult writings of the second century, spam sent by pharmaceutical companies, and instructions for various pieces of technology. I would say all of these require considerably more interpretation than poetry!

A while back, my husband showed me a thrilling article in the magazine Representations by David Keightley, a Berkeley scholar, about the origins of writing in ancient China. I will try to summarize a few of the main points. Keightley discusses divination by fire (pyromancy), and the development of writing in neolithic Chinese culture. In the Shang dynasty (that’s 1200–1050 B.C.E.—around the time of the expulsion of the Jews from Egypt and of the Trojan Wars), the bones of ancestors and animals were used for this sort of pyromancy, often exhumed from burial grounds, and then reburied and exhumed again, and then burned for the purposes of divination. After the diviners interpreted the messages from the stress-cracks resulting from fire, they uttered sounds as they “read” the cracks, and the sounds of their spoken prophecies were carved deeply into the bones and emphasized with ink. It is in part from these painted carvings that the written Chinese language evolved. Keightley notes that these rituals of divination and writing were open only to a few, and that their interpretation remained a specialized field. He demonstrates that this form of Chinese writing kept the power of knowledge specific to the scholar classes over the centuries. It seems these individual logographic signs were different from the alphabetic or syllabilary scripts in other cultures (Microsoft did not recognize “syllabilary” and tried to suggest “salability” in my laptop)—for instance, those in Mesopotamia—that combined syllables or signs to make meaning. Nor were they pictographic. Each sign came with a single sound and a prediction, with its own meaning. When Bob and I were in Paris last summer we visited the Asian Museum and saw some of these amazing bones and turtle shells and my breath was taken away by the beauty of the markings—like the tracks of small animals surrounding their own absence.

The ability to produce and to interpret the cracks, to utter the sounds from the dead, and to carve the encoded signs became the most valued form of literacy. The signs produced in this manner were more stylized and abstract than those of ordinary writing. Because they came directly from the ancestors whose power was considered to be of an abstract and collective nature (unlike the Egyptian and Greek idea of the particularized soul existing after death), these writings had a powerfully generalized aesthetic function in the culture. I am intrigued by this idea of purely abstract, sound-based script—the signals from the ancestors. The value of these markings lay in their very mystery and abstraction, and in the fact that the accompanying sacred sounds had a social function. This oracle bone script exists between words and music.

A few weeks ago, a poet-friend, Lauren Levato, gave me an article about the development of nüshu, an encoded secret script developed more recently by women in the mountains of southern China for the purpose of sending secret messages men couldn’t read. It is thought that this script derived from the oracle bone tradition. The figures are graceful and stylized—even more so than the bone scratches—bird prints, chevrons, spiked angles. Both these scripts seem like modernist practices in the twentieth century. As Robert Kaufman reminds us that Theodor Adorno reminds us, the vast expressiveness of the abstract and the lyric—as in Kandinsky paintings—help aesthetic culture reconceive its social function. The oracle bone signs and nüshu script both remind me of Mandelstam’s poems criticizing Stalin in secret metaphors, and of reports that servicemen in Iraq are doing highly encoded rap and hip-hop in order to express criticism of the military hierarchy and of the presence of multinational corporations benefiting from their labors.

One of the big jobs of a teacher is to convince students that any effort whatsoever is worth it. In the remarks that follow I’m thinking mostly of introductory poetry classes, but the students might be of any age. Some of my students, especially those new to reading poetry, become afraid when they think they are supposed to understand contemporary poems and can’t. Slant or oblique styles of poetry make them feel stupid, even if the very same techniques are used in music videos. Panicked that they will produce the wrong response, students may grow impatient in an increasingly impatient culture, believing that if poetry does not have an immediate appeal, it is undemocratic and ungenerous. Even some grown-up, famous poets put forth these opinions—arguing that poetry should be easy, should give a quick story, should never make them feel as if a highbrow or academic trick is being played on them. My goal as a teacher is to bring students closer to the initiating impulses of the poem, so that what might have evoked a hostile response can move them to a sense of accomplishment, to the deep pleasures of finding multiple interpretations for what may have seemed obscure.

The fearful student and the equally fearful famous poet might need a small review of the basics of twentieth-century modernism, which redefined the nature of art in several important ways: (1) in light of—or in the dark of—the First World War, modernism broke from the past—but also brought a new consciousness of cultural history—think art deco with its Egyptian motifs; (2) modernism brought an interest—through Freud, but not only Freud—in the mind’s psychological processes, which inspired artists to incorporate images reflecting mental process; (3) modernism defined creativity in new ways (by redefining god and nature); and finally, (4) modernism recognized that the modern city—people living together as alienated beings—was as important to the subject matter of aesthetic expression as rural scenes had been to pastoral traditions. (Readers might want to take a look at Charles Altieri’s The Art of 20th Century American Poetry.)

To most of you this will seem basic, but I wanted to remind the reader that a little background goes a long way. These redefinitions—what we are, what art is, what nature/god is, what we are in cities in relation to our mental lives—and the fact that dramatically new forms of art can include the threadlike, the fragmentary, the unfinished, that objects can point to their own synthetic qualities—all these are concepts worth reminding students of—even if “make it new” is by now one hundred years old. Much contemporary poetry that readers find mysterious makes use of modernist modes, tones, types, levels, styles that we take for granted in other aspects of our lives. It doesn’t take more than half a day to present this summary to students, though it might take them many years to absorb the art itself. Not having arrived at the twentieth century is, incidentally, one of the many problems in Mr. Ashcroft’s poem.

The fact that art comes from other art as well as from non-art, that it should be current, that the dilemmas of our present poetry come from unresolved arguments about representation and expression in the nineteenth century should not dismay us—it is a good thing. As romantic emotion, symbolist moody alienation, surrealist wild irrationality or Russian formalist philosophy make their way into contemporary poetry, we can remind students that originality in art, as in the human genome, resides in the way things are reconfigured, not in some god-given attribute (though I personally talk to rocks, plants, birds and the piece of paper when composing my own poetry, and thus do not want to put down people who think an actual muse still exists). Oracle bones of ancient China speak metaphorically through their ancestors’ recirculating messages. An overwhelmed, busy, depressed, confused or mystified contemporary reader can depend on the poet to make expressive signs, to give meaning to—or even to undermine meaning in—the sounds of her time.

I want to go through the four-fold toolkit I mentioned earlier: the sense of who we are in our environments; the understanding that every word and phrase matters and can be of interest; the idea that meaning circulates on many levels; and the conviction that the strange mystery of our existence can be represented. To proceed inductively, I thought about some poems I have taught in the last few years, and recalled some of the pedagogical challenges they present.

I. The sense of who we are in our environments

Contemporary poetry has a huge range of approaches to this question of who we are. What we find in nineteenth-century poetry—Wordsworth’s hopeful meditations, Coleridge’s depressed intimate ones, the symbolist Baudelaire’s haunted outsider descriptions, Rimbaud’s hallucinatory narratives, Whitman’s capacious sweep, Dickinson’s uncanny metaphysical puzzles—provided twentieth century poetry with a satura—“satura” being a food medley, what the word “satire” comes from—of mental states. In that mix, for example, Stevens’s speakers are both Keatsian and très français; Eliot and Pound offer collage fragments of literature, polyphonies of urban, pastoral, medieval and Renaissance voices; Gertrude Stein assembles human thought patterns in abstract, cubist fashion; HD introduces vatic and oracular lyricism, while Williams uses concrete, everyday American speech, and so on.

Often the persona in poetry is assumed to be that of the poet recounting an experience, or series of thoughts, about an experience in narrative or meditative form. That this became the main mode in the twentieth century is probably because personal accounts have, and well continue to have, a particular appeal. When students first come to poetry, they are excited that it can address their own states of feeling, their questions: Who am I? What is my problem? The lyric poem is still going steady with the turbulent heart that loves its own turbulence. The basic desire for emotional identification, and the lack of it, brings most people to poetry in the first place. No poet forgets the power of emotion. My introductory students have often been drawn to Sylvia Plath’s poetry despite—or perhaps because of—the perilous nature of her metaphors. Here is one of her poems:

Morning Song

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
    The midwife slapped your foot-soles, and your bald cry
    Took its place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
    In a drafty museum, your nakedness
    Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I’m no more your mother
    Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
    Effacement at the wind’s hand.

All night your moth-breath
    Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
    A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
    In my Victorian nightgown.
    Your mouth opens clean as a cat’s. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
    Your handful of notes;
    The clear vowels rise like balloons.

Many students can enter this poem relatively easily. It seems to have a “single speaker,” and though Plath deploys wildly contradictory metaphors, her persona is a familiar figure—that of an exhausted new mother. The style is one of apparent realism: this could “really happen.” The poem depicts feelings and a setting most students, even if they don’t have children, recognize. The new parent in the poem feels alienated from her new baby. Students can follow how Plath builds her personal myth: the baby is an “arrival” in a museum, the mother a rather detached figure who moves between feeling like a cloud and like a cow. The images show the progress and irony of her condition as they range from surreal—moth-breath, a window swallowing stars—to a more hopeful, easier simile: vowels like balloons. When students are first studying poetry, they are often told it is bad to “mix metaphors,” but Plath, like Dickinson, wildly mixes metaphors in search of the transformation into a different realm. It’s good to question prejudices about inconsistency. In addition, I wanted to present this as an example of a poem with difficult metaphorical language that is relatively easy to teach.

It’s more challenging to teach poetry that confuses the issue of “who is speaking.” I’ve often taught a book-length poem, Muse and Drudge, by Harryette Mullen, of whom Sandra Cisneros has written, “Hip hyperbole, thy queen is Ms. Mullen.” The book, a lyric meditation which shakes up the question of “speaker” and “speakingness,” uses the style of a collage-voice, a composite of many types of utterance. Its playfulness ceaselessly undermines our expectations of poetic procedure, mixing common aphorisms, song lyrics, cultural truisms, mottos, clichés, asides. Written in unpunctuated quatrains, every page of this eighty-page book can be taken as a separate work. You can read each page by itself, each quatrain by itself; even each line can stand as a separate poem. The opening of the book, like any epic, invokes the muse figure—in this case Sapphire, punning on lyric poet Sappho with her lyre/liar:

Sapphire’s lyre styles
    plucked eyebrows
    bow lips and legs
    whose lives are lonely too

my last nerve’s lucid music
    sure chewed up the juicy fruit
    you must don’t like my peaches
    there’s some left on the tree

you’ve had my thrills
    a reefer a tub of gin
    don’t mess with me I’m evil
    I’m in your sin

clipped bird eclipsed moon
    soon no memory of you
    no drive or desire survives
    you flutter invisible still

In response to this poem, one student noted: “You know who is talking, but it’s confusing to know what she’s saying.” Another said: “You don’t know who is talking, but she has a really particular style of talking.” Not being certain of who is speaking in a poem isn’t always appealing to a junior English major endeavoring to “find herself” through poetry, to identify with a group, to find the money to buy a sweatshirt with a hood, or to believe someone will love only her. Poetry without an identifiable speaker or a single emotional register may be a hard sell. It is nonetheless inappropriate at every level to say to a student that it doesn’t matter whether she finds herself in poetry or not; it is also inappropriate not to include many alternative strategies for self-discovery—such as Mullen’s kind of poetry.

Mullen’s stanzas present multiple possibilities rather than assertions of bold certainty of what we are. Each line pursues its own logic in paratactic relation to others. The lines and phrases interact, and all interaction becomes the “who is speaking.” When students discuss the speaker issue here, the word polyvocal comes up—how the character in the poem pursues her cultural, sexual, ethnic critiques, taking references from jazz, literature from the Renaissance to the present, from mo ........................................

much more at link, great article but tis, very, very long..-Tyr

Folks, sometimes these articles present views I strongly disagree with and often that is about this new course , modern poetry takes.
    Yet one must read and try to understand a thing if its to be countered or commented on with any true wisdom, depth and authority.
    I hold that man should ever seek both truth and increased knowledge.
    For within that path wisdom lays hidden gems used to attach itself to the human mind.-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay
    Keats and King Lear
    For the poet, Sundays were not for church, but for Shakespeare.
    By Adam Plunkett
    Cordelia in the Court of King Lear (1873) by Sir John-Gilbert.

Early in the winter of 1818, in December, John Keats wrote to his brother George about their younger brother, who had died two weeks before. “The last days of poor Tom were of the most distressing nature”—Tom, the boy whom Keats had nursed through his tuberculosis in Hampstead after George had left with his wife for Kentucky. John and Tom had kept to the house that fall while John worked on his second epic poem and read Shakespeare, writing “Sunday evening, Oct. 4, 1818” next to the phrase “poor Tom” in his folio edition of King Lear. He himself would live just two more years .

“I have scarce a doubt of immortality of some nature o[r] other,” wrote Keats in his letter to George. “[N]either had Tom.” Keats imagined an afterlife with “direct communication of spirit” like that which he felt as he wrote to George and felt he could begin to approach by their reading “a passage of Shakespeare every Sunday at ten o’clock” on either side of the Atlantic. “And we shall be as near each other as blind bodies can be in the same room.” Sundays, not for church, were for Shakespeare.

He wrote a long letter to George the next spring about his ideas of salvation. “The whole appears to resolve into this; that Man is originally ‘a poor forked creature’ subject to the same mischances as the beasts of the forest.” Man could be saved by forming an identity in the face of hardship, through the world’s “vale of Soul-making” and not through any Christian otherworldly “vale of tears.” As Lionel Trilling points out, this is also the story of King Lear, “the history of the definition of a soul by circumstance.” This “tragic salvation” was “the only salvation that Keats found it possible to conceive”: “the soul accepting the fate that defines it.” And as it happens, Keats had introduced his “system of salvation” by slightly misquoting a line of Lear’s in which the king calls Edgar, disguised as poor Tom, a “poor bare, forked animal,” a scene before Edgar says, “The foul fiend haunts poor Tom in the voice of a nightingale.” Keats wrote “Ode to a Nightingale” early that May, shortly after his letter to George.

There are any number of ways to take this unfolding of genius. The stories of Keats’s life all burn brightest as they try to make sense of how his years of studying and suffering and hope found form that spring and summer and fall in the poems by which he is remembered for greatness, the best of the odes and “The Fall of Hyperion.” If the tropes that his story gets told with—tragic suffering, artistic immortality—seem to fit the material without letting it calcify into pious cliché, it’s because Keats thought in these terms with a perfect earnestness that let them shape his world. When he wrote, “Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire” at the end of his “prologue” of a sonnet on King Lear, it was less as a rhetorical device than as a prayer, inseparable from his faith in the “gradual ripening of the intellectual powers … for the purposes of great productions,” with which he prefaced the poem in a letter to his brothers in January 1818.

The rub is that other cliché, inspiration. How much can we hope to explain it, how much to trace the lines of influence onto his work, before we end up drawing all over the poems that we tried to explain? I always want to know where impressions end and genius begins, which is hard to see for Keats because his mind transformed so much matter so fully and quickly. But we can get some sense of his creative flame by tracing the thread of King Lear into the tapestry of his genius and specifically into the poems in which the play asserts itself most vigorously, “Ode to a Nightingale” and its double, “Ode on a Grecian Urn,” written later that May.

The second poem’s debt to the first is well known, as is that of the poems to the play and even the play’s to that other tragedy of the potential for salvation, the Book of Job. But if the fact of influence is clear, its texture and shape are obscure. The problem, I think, is that scholars and critics have tended to look for allusions that fit with the play as we know it, with the order and literalness of detached understanding, instead of trying to see the play as Keats saw it. He didn’t study Shakespeare: he lived it. Shakespeare was scripture for him, and the scriptures were not; Keats knew them but didn’t revere them. He cited Shakespeare as his highest authority all the time, with the remarkable depth and flagrant inaccuracy of associative and not literal memory. He recalled lines not by and for themselves but as they embodied perspectives, scenes, and whole plots, and recalled all of that as something like revealed truth as spoken by Shakespeare the “Presider,” whom he imagined hovering over him, as he wrote in his letters. I have found dozens of echoes of lines from the play in the poems, from which we can make out a pattern.

The poems are Keats’s version of Tragedy and, taken together, are a version of Shakespeare’s Tragedy. They form a version of the play’s doubled plot, with lines that trace the arc of one half of the plot, the story of Lear and Cordelia, in “Ode on a Grecian Urn,” and the other half, that of Edgar and Gloucester, in “Ode to a Nightingale.” The odes transfigure the characters’ conflicts into the inner conflicts of lyric poetry. They take on the drama’s problems in the abstract. As Lear, the fallen king, despairs over a world “unaccommodated” to him, and Gloucester, fallen gentry, despairs of accommodating himself to the world, “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is about the ways that the world will never accommodate us and “Ode to a Nightingale” about the ways that we try to escape the world and fail, the drugs and arts and other enchantments that leave mortality as it was and always will be. They take us through Keats’s vision of tragic salvation. “Examine King Lear,” he wrote to his brothers a couple of weeks before he sent them his sonnet, pointing out the play’s “Beauty & Truth.”

The Tragedy of King Lear is the story of trust betrayed and reestablished in two families. Cordelia loses the trust of her father when she doesn’t overstate her love for him as her sisters do, and Gloucester, an earl in Lear’s kingdom, comes to mistrust his good son (Edgar) after his wicked son (Edmund) convinces Gloucester that Edgar plans to kill him. As Lear and Gloucester turn some of their children against them out of not malice but unreflective selfishness, Lear’s stemming from vanity and Gloucester’s from shame, they suffer from forms of selfishness according to their ranks—the narcissism of a king and the complacency of minor nobility, egotism and ingenuousness, jealousy and envy. It follows that they respond differently when their betrayals cast them into the wilderness—Lear enraged that the world cannot accommodate him, Gloucester despairing that he cannot reconcile himself to the world. The former is the fall of egotism, the fall of a self that expects and demands too much of the world, whereas the latter is the call for the compromised and compromising self demanded by the world. Edgar takes up the construction of a self for his father, even if what the world demands is deception, while Lear’s concern is what in the world to trust if the beauty on which he had depended could prove to be false.

The odes take on these problems in the abstract, as they concern mortality, the lack of an afterlife, and the human capacity to fall. As in Gloucester and Edgar’s conflict, “Ode to a Nightingale” considers how to adapt oneself to the world, honestly or dishonestly. Its speaker wonders what forms of enchantment could help him to cope with “[t]he weariness, the fever, and the fret” of the human condition—alcohol, poetry, myth. There is no first person in “Ode on a Grecian Urn” but a speaker evaluating a world, albeit one in the condition of a static work of art, immortal and stuck. The question is whether the ideals it evokes are beautiful and true, whether to trust them.

“The foul fiend haunts poor Tom in the voice of a nightingale”: Edgar is acting when he says this, but the madness he feigns (or thinks he feigns) betrays his emotions precisely. He has had to shuffle off his habitual calm to react to his reversal of fortune, and this dissonance between the pain of his situation and his accustomed ease would plausibly haunt him in the way that Keats’s wretchedness infects the beautiful voice of the nightingale, Edgar’s new pain in the voice of his old self. One can see “Ode to a Nightingale” as a kind of monologue of that haunting, with the speaker in his heartache trying to become like the “immortal bird” whose song he listens to. If the visceral experience of reading the poem is of rapture, this shouldn’t obscure the pain that makes the speaker long for rapture in the first place. The speaker even dissembles like haunted Edgar—“’Tis not through envy of thy happy lot / But being too happy in thine happiness,” he says to the nightingale, unable to admit (or to see) any vice in himself—and dwells on the emotions that stoked Edmund’s resentment of Edgar, the “envy” of his “ease” of being legitimate and the “eldest child.”

To get a sense of how the echoes of the play in the odes trace the tragic arcs of the plot—the fathers’ separations from their good children, their reconciliations, their deaths—consider some parallels.

In the soliloquy in which Edgar decides to disguise himself as “poor Tom,” a kind of archetypal woodland beggar and madman, he becomes “of the trees” like the “light-wingèd Dryad of the trees” that Keats describes in the first stanza of “Ode to a Nightingale.” (Edgar escapes in “the happy hollow of a tree”—happy like the “happy lot” of the unseen nightingale—and plans to adopt the “numb’d and mortified bare arms” of “Bedlam beggars”—numb and subdued like the “drowsy numbness” that opens the ode.) When Edgar later finds Gloucester blind and wandering in the forest, Edgar, as Tom, leads Gloucester to what he pretends is the edge of a cliff that overlooks “the murmuring surge, / That on the unnumber'd idle pebbles chafes”—“murmuring” like the “murmurous haunt of flies” in the ode and “unnumber’d” like the “shadows numberless” of the nightingale’s grove. As Gloucester vividly imagines a scene he cannot see, he is in the position of Keats when he “cannot see what flowers are at [his] feet” but unseeingly guesses at a number of them. Keats contemplates suicide after that stanza—“Now more than ever seems it rich to die”—like Gloucester, who despairingly leans over the edge of the cliff he supposes is there.

For all the echoes of Keats’s ode in the pivotal scenes between Edgar and Gloucester, it is when Edgar, feigning madness still, meets mad Lear in the forest that we hear “the foul fiend haunts poor Tom in the voice of a nightingale.” Edgar also mentions in his mock-babble the “hawthorn” and “corn” that appear in the ode and asks—it is unclear who—“Sleepest or wakest thou, jolly shepherd?,” recalling the question that famously ends the ode, “Do I wake or sleep?”

“Beauty is truth, truth beauty,” the famous phrase near the end of the other ode, likewise has an echo in King Lear, whose first scene is a counterexample. The beautiful flatteries by his wicked daughters are false, but Lear trusts only them. “So young and so untender?” he asks Cordelia. “Tender is the night” in “Ode to a Nightingale,” and the night is treacherous like Cordelia’s sisters, whereas she is, in her own “plain” words, “[s]o young, my lord, and true,” although her father can’t understand her.

Lear’s speeches before Cordelia’s death express the depth of his misunderstanding of her. He imagines the two of them playing as though she’s a child, and imagines their living indefinitely, able to think of her youth and her innocence only in terms of her being a child. He cannot understand the nuance of innocence; he sees her as through a glass, brightly. Likewise, the speaker in “Ode on a Grecian Urn” attempts to make sense of characters about whom his point of view makes it hard for him to know much of anything, since he is aging and mortal and the urn’s figures are timeless. They have the permanent youth Lear imagines and, although it is romantic instead of familial, the endless possessive infatuation. If the ode is a vision of Lear’s wish for himself and Cordelia, of a world in which it would be possible, it also shows the dark side of Lear’s desire: a world that is neither possible nor desirable.

There is an exquisite sadness to the ode’s movement away from its enchantment with the world of the urn, the world of art. After three stanzas largely of rapture, it turns to a sacrifice:

Who are these coming to the sacrifice?
    To what green altar, O mysterious priest,
    Lead’st thou that heifer lowing at the skies,
    And all her silken flanks with garlands drest?

The image is startling in part because of the contrast of brutality and ornateness, in part because the heifer does not “understand the festivities,” as Robert Hass points out. She has “no terror in the eyes,” and in her incomprehension is like Lear and Cordelia on their way to the “sacrifice” that Lear mentions but has no suspicion will actually end in Cordelia’s death. Unlike the rest of the stasis—lovers who will never kiss, maidens ever struggling to escape their pursuers—the death provokes the speaker’s judgment, because the urn has permanently robbed the “little town” of its inhabitants. Without the progression of time, no one can go through pain or tell a story about it. It’s a tragedy of no Tragedy.

Having no one who could tell your story is a way to lose the immortality that art can afford, and this sense of mortality causes the emotional fall of “Ode to a Nightingale,” too. The poet’s enchantments—“Darkling I listen, and for many a time / I have been half in love with easeful Death”—begin to give way when he considers that he won’t hear the bird’s timeless song when he dies: “Still wouldst thou sing, and I have ears in vain— / To thy high requiem become a sod.” Only in life can he feel these enchantments, only with the potential for suffering. The poet says, “Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird!” although the poet was.
    Originally Published: February 11th, 2015

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

‘The beetle runs into the future’
    By Oli Hazzard

p17rc3ab8fnbh1pjh2o21gi310i54

It’s been a terrible year, so I’m going to spend the last day of it by just writing about a few things that brought me joy, and challenged how I think, in the hope that they do the same for someone who reads this. I’ve never told anyone about R.F. Langley who hasn’t been grateful for the tip, so I’ll start with him. A poet often associated with the Cambridge School, Langley, who died in 2011, published relatively few works in his lifetime, and many of these with small or independent presses. These have been definitively collected in his Complete Poems (Carcanet, 2015), edited by Jeremy Noel-Tod. It’s a book which, as with the complete Bishop and Larkin, derives a curious authority from its smallness. I’ve been reading it habitually over the past year, as a reminder of the possibilities and rewards of precision in seeing and describing. It’s his later lyrics that I love the most, poems which are so exact the language they employ seems to warp and ripple under the pressure of the attention which drives them. His “Blues for Titania,” one of my favourite poems, is one of his most intricate and agile syntactical performances, and it bears comparison with the best work of Marianne Moore. Its 11-syllable lines seem on first glance deliberately imbalanced, one syllable too long or short—but one of Langley’s gifts is to endow the awkward or the hobbled with grace and fitness. Curiously truncated fragments and winding, reticulated sentences, passages of electric alacrity and of pooling, languid slowness, are all integrated in poems which have an eerie, almost charmed consistency of tone and effect. And running through them is an unfailingly inventive and surprising music. Just listen to this opening:

The beetle runs into the future. He takes
    to his heels in an action so frantic its
    flicker seems to possess the slowness of deep
    water. He has been green. He will be so yet.
    His memory ripples emeralds. The wasp
    takes it easy. She unpicks her fabric of
    yellow and black, which slips from her fingers to
    land in the past, loop-holed, lacy, tossed off on
    the wing. The beetle is needled right through on
    one string.

The whole poem can be read, and Langley’s recording of it heard, at the Poetry Archive.

Another wonderful book I’ve been returning to is Mark Ford’s Nairobi, 1963, a pamphlet published by the newly-formed Periplum Press based at Plymouth University, who have also put out works by Peter Gizzi and Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin. Ford’s poetic output has been as tantalisingly slow as those poets mentioned above—roughly a book a decade—so each new publication is something of an event. Since his hilarious first book, Landlocked, each volume has signalled a radical change in approach and tone. In Ford’s new work, the strenuously exact descriptive passages, fragmentary translations, dreams, memories and zany quips from which his patchworks are assembled are increasingly likely to fray at the seams, as signalled by the frequent ellipses:

Ay de mi – a pin-
    prick of blood, scarcely
    more than a pore
    flaunting its friendship
    with a vein; bright
    as the flower
    of the flame tree that stained
    our drive, our lawn, and the roof
    and bonnet of our white
    Ford Taunus
    red … in piercing, heat-
    hazed dreams Tina
    the Turkey, fattening for Christmas in the dust
    of Kano, interrupts
    her pecking to fix
    me with a beady eye, to puff
    her breast and shake
    at me her scarlet
    beak and wattles. ‘The worse
    it is, the better,’ she cluck-clucks, sotto
    voce, from somewhere
    deep
    inside the labyrinth
    of my skull . . .

I find this poetry so light and fresh and crisp and witty, and even a little jaunty; I love the way the language skips and hops effortlessly down these perilously narrow, jagged lines, like one of those Nubian ibexes featured on Planet Earth II (another of this year’s joys). But then there are these sudden vents of feeling that catch with a whooosh and take the breath away. The pamphlet also features a series of beautiful miniatures—elliptically drawn memories from Ford’s past in Nairobi, Oxford, Lagos, Hong Kong, and New York—which become somehow both odder and plainer the more they are examined, like absent-mindedly assembled napkin swans. “Chicago, 1969” sets out an irresistible stall for this irreducibly strange and singular poet:

America developed my commercial streak: I sold
    Kool-Aid on our street corner, describing it
    to neighbours and passers-by as ‘indescribably delicious’.

I moved to Scotland this year, and commute between Edinburgh and St. Andrews a few times a week on the train, which runs along the Fife Coast. When I’ve not been looking out of the window I’ve often been reading Denise Riley’s new book, Say Something Back. After prolonged exposure to these poems the landscape has begun to conduct itself in a distinctly Riley-esque idiom. I can see very clearly the unintended sea through the window of this passage:

Suspended in unsparing light
    The sloping gull arrests its curl
    The glassy sea is hardened waves
    Its waters lean through shining air
    Yet never crash but hold their arc
    Hung rigidly in glaucous ropes
    Muscled and gleaming.

Riley’s book takes its title from a passage from W.S. Graham’s poem “Implements in their Places,” which also serves as the book’s epigraph: “Do not think you have to say / Anything back. But you do / Say something back which I / Hear by the way I speak to you.” This is a devastating formulation of Say Something Back’s central purpose, which is, to put it awkwardly, to experience an ongoing dialogue with the dead through the continuation of a monologue shaped by their imagined presence. (Though with an important modulation: in Riley’s hands, Graham’s assertion seems more like a plea.) The central, celebrated poem of the collection, “A Part Song,” is an elegy for Riley’s son, who died in 2008. This poem is remarkable for many reasons, not least of which is the wit and skill with which many voices from poetic history are arranged in unique configuration. Through its foregrounding of that synthetic process, the poem makes me preternaturally alert to my own responsiveness to it, and I get the weird feeling that the poem has somehow anticipated that future responsiveness and is already speaking back to it. I feel like I’m more in my body, more who I am, more situated in time, when I read her poems. These great lines from “Late March” do it:

This charged air has a keen and whitish feel
    that stings a little, but has gaiety. So, human you,
    I’ll hand you back to your own camouflage.

Finally, two books I brought back from a month in New York during the summer. Maureen N. McLane’s Mz N: the serial retains the intricate sonic patterning, punning slapstick and intimate address of her earlier work, but, in this verse-novel-memoir-sequence-I-don’t-know-what-it-is, she allows herself space to wander, ruminate and caustically scrutinise an array of spots of time, as well the woes of the present moment. This is conducted in a dazzling range of registers and rhythms, and packaged in some amazing visual forms: the long, billowy column that makes up “Mz N History of Philosophy,” for example, looks like it’s breathing. There is so much I would like to quote—including a wholly convincing manifesto for a return to both sonnets and bonnets (“Mz N embarks one day upon a sonnet / attracted by the knowledge that it’s dead / extinct like dinosaur dodo or bonnet / long replaced by baseball caps on heads”)—but it’s these lines, which seem to float upwards out of the white space that surrounds them, that I’ve been going back to:

Having reached a floating state
    of grace, surprised

by joy
    she wants to die
    life
    can only get worse
    the mountain
    receding below them as they climb

Ali Power’s A Poem for Record Keepers (Argos Books, 2016) is a long poem made up of short fragments, a journal or daybook with all dates and times removed, and one of the loneliest books I’ve ever read. Each of its forty-nine, seven-line sections has a kind of optional vertical density, but can also be skimmed lightly and semi-distractedly, since, to quote Edwin Denby (a figure these poems bring to mind) “Actual events are obscure / Though the observers appear clear.” The unusual, striking formal feature of the work is that each line is end-stopped. This starts out as rhythmically disruptive, and has odd effects on the inner ear as the lines are processed—each is given the chance to resonate, deeply or awkwardly or comically—but what’s really interesting is how frustrating, and eventually exhausting, this becomes. I find myself longing for the fluidity of a run-on line, for the stretching feeling of extended syntax, for something to break out of the pattern, to escape the terrible solitude of the enclosure. (I also start to feel the absence of the other, unanswering half of these semi-sonnets.) The lines act like they don’t know each other, even when they form part of a potentially continuous sentence; it’s like they’re sharing a commuter train. The cumulative pressure of each failed attempt to begin a dialogue drives the poem to ever more outlandish ice-breakers—in fact, it feels like a poem made up only of ice-breakers, or only of hurried sign-offs, and there’s never quite enough in each to fill the time you want to fill. It sometimes reminds me of reading the backs of cereal boxes, sometimes of Beckett. I’ll finish this last blog with one of these sections, which for me encapsulates some of the feelings and textures of this year. It’s bleak, hallucinatory, paranoid and sardonic, and at the last suddenly and precariously tender:

Was it curiosity or boredom that brought us here?
    I ask because it’s summer.
    And we’re always reorganizing our dreams.
    A glistening ecosystem of Dairy Queens.
    Taut cones.
    Not all women age so gracefully.
    Hurry home.

Tags: Ali Power, Denise Riley, Edwin Denby, Mark Ford, Maureen N. Mclane, R.F. Langley, W.S. Graham
    Posted in Featured Blogger on Saturday, December 31st, 2016 by Oli Hazzard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay
    Nurseries of Verse
    The only way to grow poetry is to make it a habit.
    By J. Patrick Lewis

In the halcyon amplitude of their mother’s lap, two children were once weaned on outsized, hoary orange gospels known as the Childcraft series. One of those eager tots was me; the other was my twin brother. Among Aesop’s treasures and the Grimm boys’ delights lay the verse creations of two dab hands who went by the names Edward Lear and Lewis Carroll. No children’s poets writing since have achieved such an impressive body of consistently eloquent nonsense as Lear and Carroll. Marvelous word turners, past or present—N.M. Bodecker, Charles and Guy Carryl, Charles Causley, John Ciardi, X.J. Kennedy, David McCord, Ogden Nash, Shel Silverstein—would readily admit that they stand on the shoulders of Lear and Carroll.

But a specter haunts children’s poetry—or verse—and the specter is mediocrity. Dana Gioia described it best more than 20 years ago when he referred, fleetingly, to “the cultural demimonde of light verse and children’s poetry.” Leave aside the arguments for the health or infirmity of adult poetry. The democratization of children’s verse, the notion that “everyone is a poet”—seen most clearly in the proliferation of blogs and the digitalization of treacle—is a view so entrenched that it is scarcely worth mentioning. Gorillas might enjoy a good laugh when one day they observe humans speed writing poetry with their thumbs.

What has all this meant for schoolchildren? First, like most bloggers, children are not poets any more than those who first climb up on a piano stool are pianists. Adults do children a great disservice by asking them to believe otherwise. They are, or should be, in it for the practice!

Second, in the teaching community, a rupture in the fault line has set “the choir,” that small band of true believers in the care and nurture of quality children’s poetry, sailing off to a quaint, remote island. But as a veteran of piping down elementary-school valleys wild (more than 500 of them), I am more often met by the mainlanders, those teachers who believe that poetry ought to be ladled out to the young in “units,” according to state-dictated standards, for two or three days out of the school year at most, the gods be thanked. (As Paul Verlaine once said about the word concept, when you hear standard, get up [at once] and leave the room.) To encapsulate the mainlander attitude, this quatrain will do as well as any.

The poetry unit is normally
    a pinch of Frost and Emily,
    a tickle of Jack Prelutsky, Shel,
    and … “Goodness, there’s the bell.”

Who can blame teachers? In their own college courses, pain trumped pleasure as they followed instructions to field-strip poems as though they were intractable M14s. Why should teachers project their own unpleasant experiences on children?

The trouble, of course, is that teachers who disdain poetry know nothing about it. For them, anything that rhymes is a poem. Incapable of winnowing wheat from the considerable chaff and unaware of the wealth that exists beyond the arts and literature, they would never think to look for poems in science and technology, biography, history, or even nature.

Begin with one ineluctable maxim: children will not gravitate to poetry. It must be brought to them. Here’s a modest proposal: give the most important room in the school—the library—a poetry-focused edge. As David Foster Wallace once wrote, “I do things like get in a taxi and say, ‘The library, and step on it.’” The bite of the library bug never heals.

The only way to grow poetry is to make it a habit, and the library can be its hothouse, a permanent nursery of verse. I have seen scores of schools in which librarians and teachers have done the heavy lifting, searching out classic work. In these schools, poetry becomes, as it should, a part of every child’s everyday experience.

Establish a poets’ corner where students come to read or listen to readings. Apart from the puerile doggerel that thrives on barf and boogers (the less said about it, the better), “let a hundred flowers blossom” with books of verse from every school imaginable.

Photocopy well-known poems, hide them in books throughout the library, and “reward” students with laminated bookmarks or some other largesse of the librarian’s creation.

Post a poem on a SMART Board every other day, and ask kids if they can find the poem in a library book. The first to unearth it might get a free book of children’s verse or young adult poetry.

Get rid of all poetry contests in schools. Writing verse is not a competition but its own reward. Usually, the winner composed a ditty merely to satisfy a requirement, a motivation that is unlikely to encourage the habit.

Let children discover in poems those “ah-ha” moments, their faces set in a rictus of wonder, when words become frosted fire, and young readers realize that they have never thought of a thing in quite that way before.

Open a poetry café. Invite parents to after-school readings but only if they are prepared to let ingenious, even devious, machinations become the purview of wily librarians and teachers devoted to rescuing poetry from the nurse’s office and sending it to the head of the class.

No one believes that poetry can become “the great flywheel of society,” as William James defined habit; most people have not read a book of poems in their lifetimes. That poetry is far from the American national pastime is hardly a reason to deny children the opportunity to go on the magical mystery tour that is their own language.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This essay was commissioned as a part of the Harriet Monroe Poetry Institute's project to collect ideas for getting children interested in poetry. For more ideas, download a free copy of the book Open the Door: How to Excite Young People about Poetry.

Originally Published: April 22nd, 2013
    A very enlightening and informative article..-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Prose from Poetry Magazine
    Losing It
    By Roxane Gay

When I was nineteen I wrote a poem called “Tears,” which should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of that work — overwrought, melodramatic, and sublimely tragic. I was mourning a breakup, of course. Poetry, I knew, was the language of love. I had read Elizabeth Barrett Browning: “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.” And so poetry would also be the language of the end of love. I cringe when I think of that poem now. It was so terrible, so artless. I decided to stick with prose and I have never regretted that decision.

Because I am a writer and I teach writing, people expect me to know things about poetry. In truth, I know very little about poetry even though I read a great deal. I am vaguely familiar with various forms — sestina, sonnet, cinquain, ghazal. I am very unfamiliar with the craft of poetics — line break, rhyme, meter, image.

What I do know is that when I read poetry, good poetry, I forget to breathe and my body is suffused with something unnamable — a combination of awe and astonishment and the purest of pleasures. Reading poetry is such a thrill that I often feel like I am getting away with something.

I will never understand why more people don’t appreciate poetry. 
Even when I am confounded by a poem, my world is changed in some way. Poetry makes me think more carefully about the lyricism and the language I use in my prose. It helps give shape to my writing, helps me bring the reader to the heart of what I want to say. Poetry gives me the strength of conviction to take chances in my writing, to allow myself to be vulnerable.

Take the poem “Trespassing” by Lisa Mecham, a poem about the night wanderings of teenagers: “Then on the plywood floor, it’s just a boy pounding away / and a girl, her quiet cries turning stars into doves inside.” There is so much captured in that moment — we are given a scene, all too familiar, that is uniquely rendered, haunting, aching, gorgeous.

Or “Cattails” by Nikky Finney, a prose poem, a rush of words, a story of love and distance, a whole world, and the exquisite phrase, “she is reminded of what falling in love, without permission, smells like.”

Or xTx, the poem, “Do You Have a Place for Me”: “I will collect your hair / with my mouth / Use the strands / to sew the slices / in my heart.” This was a poem I originally published in a magazine I edited. It was a poem I loved so much that I wrote a story with the same title so I could carry that poem with me forever.

Or Jericho Brown, on the violence black men and women experience at the hands of cops: “I promise that if you hear / Of me dead anywhere near / A cop, then that cop killed me.” I heard Brown read this poem live and found myself on the edge of my seat, my fingers curled into tight, sweaty fists as I tried to absorb the pain wrapped in the intense beauty of his words.

Or Eduardo C. Corral, who rocks as he reads his poetry before an audience, who blends English and Spanish and demands that we, as his readers, keep up. He writes of borders, erasing and challenging those that exist while erecting new ones. And then, there is a poem like “Ceremonial,” full of hunger and sorrow and eroticism: “His thumbnail / a flake // of sugar /   he would not / allow me to swallow.”

Or Aimee Nezhukumatathil, who often uses poetry to write of the wonders of the natural world, who writes about being brown in white America, who writes of being a daughter, of being a wife, of being a mother, of  being a woman making sense of  her own skin. Her poem, “Small Murders,” telling of Antony and Cleopatra, Napoleon and Josephine, how smells were woven through their loves, and a new suitor, admiring her perfume given by another, “by evening’s end, I let him have it: twenty-seven kisses // on my neck, twenty-
seven small murders of you.” The poem ends with such an elegant twist of a very sharp knife.

I could write of the poets and poems that reach into my mind, my body, and never run out of words. There is no shortage of excellent poetry in the world. As I sit here, I am surrounded by books by Jonterri Gadson, Solmaz Sharif, Warsan Shire, and Danez Smith. 
I can’t wait to lose myself in their poetry, to become suffused.

Originally Published: December 29th, 2016

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay
    Things, Boundlessly
    Is it finally time for Louis Zukofsky's “A”?
    By Justin Taylor
    Illustration: Jason Novak

Hugh Kenner said it was the most hermetic poem in the English language. Robert Creeley called it “art . . . without equal.” My friend Jared White, a poet and a bookseller, calls it the Book Group Killer. James Laughlin, the founding publisher of New Directions Press, called it “a great poem really rolling in all its power and splendor of language”—and yet he declined to publish it. I’m talking, of course, about “A,” Louis Zukofsky’s erstwhile pillar of American Modernist poetry, in and out of print for years but recently reissued by New Directions. The NDP edition is a paperback original with a fine and thorough introduction by the Zukofsky scholar Barry Ahearn. It is the first edition of the full poem to be published by a non-university press (the two previous editions were from the University of California Press in 1978 and Johns Hopkins University Press in 1993) and has a yellowed white cover that seems to say, “This is how discolored with age this book would be if we had published it when we should have.” It is not a handsome look, but it does neatly sum up the problem of approaching “A,” and perhaps Zukofsky in general: how to foment the re-discovery of something that never quite had a proper heyday in the first place?

Neither Zukofsky nor “A” has any real claim on the public imagination. Even among poets he doesn’t seem to be much read, discussed, or taught, except by a handful of deeply entrenched partisans. I started to investigate whether—and why—this might be the case, but then I realized that I was squandering a huge opportunity. The question of whether Zukofsky is truly neglected (and of whether said neglect has been just) is far less interesting than the simple fact that one can approach Zukofsky with a readerly freshness—an innocence, if you will—that is perilously hard to come by for such art without equal. This is in starkest contrast to Pound’s Cantos, which has never fully emerged from its author’s divisive personal reputation (and probably never will). “A” is perhaps the last major work of American Modernism to feel like uncharted territory.

“A” is a book-length poem divided into 24 sections, one for each hour in the day. Begun in 1927 and completed in 1974, “A” is self-consciously the major work of its author’s life, but it also seeks to present that life in something like real time. In a 1930 letter to Pound, Zukofsky explains that “A” will attempt “the objective evaluation of my own experience, an indigenous emotion controlling a versification which would (possibly) by my own and a natural ability (or perverseness) for wrenching English so that (again, possibly) it might attain a diction of distinction not you, or [T.S.] Eliot, or Bill [Carlos Williams] or anyone before me.” This is Zukofsky’s way of saying that he feels comfortable writing about himself. (In today’s world Zukofsky might have been a world-class blogger or Twitterer. On the other hand, “A” is 826 pages long—so maybe not.)

The earliest sections of “A” are very much enamored of Objectivism, the literary “movement” Zukofsky invented at the urging of Poetry magazine’s Harriet Monroe. It adhered strongly to Pound’s dictum that “the natural object is always the adequate symbol,” and it became the theory through which most scholars have looked in on Zukofsky’s poetry. But what lends distinction to what might otherwise seem like Pound-apprentice work is Zukofsky’s insistence on the primacy of the personal. “A”-1, for example, opens with “A / Round of fiddles playing Bach” because Zukofsky is attending a performance of St. Matthew’s Passion:

Composed seventeen twenty-nine,
    Rendered at Carnegie Hall,
    Nineteen twenty-eight,
    Thursday evening, the fifth of April.

From Carnegie Hall it’s a short trip down to the Lower East Side, where Zukofsky—the child of Orthodox Jews who immigrated from Eastern Europe—grew up, and where the multitude of languages and nationalities and politics inspired him to try and draw “the song out of the voices,” as he puts it in the concluding line of “A”-2. Music, it quickly becomes clear, is the art Zukofsky admires most. He takes seriously Walter Pater’s assertion that “all art aspires to the condition of music,” but his view of the problem is technical rather than metaphorical. In “A”-6, he asks, “Can / The design / Of the fugue / Be transferred / To poetry?”, and though he’s clearly posing the question to himself, he is not asking it rhetorically. “A” itself is his answer.

In her book The Senses of Nonsense, Alison Rieke writes that Zukofsky arranged words “as if they were musical notes that have been sounded previous to his own use.” Ahearn elaborates:

If we find ourselves lost in segments of “A” where meaning utterly escapes us, the fault lies not with the poem, but with our constrained definition of meaning. When we attend to the poem’s sounds, another dimension of the poem flowers.”

This in turn reminded me of a piece of advice I once got from Paul Violi, my teacher when I was an MFA student at the New School, and one of the smartest readers of poetry I have ever known. (He died earlier this year, and is never more sorely missed than when I’m working on things like this and cannot appeal to him for aid.) I had e-mailed Paul because I was struggling with the Cantos, finding Pound to be at certain times riveting in a way I’d hardly experienced before, and at other times exasperatingly obtuse or else just boring. Paul’s suggestion was to “[t]ake on the passages as if you were a musician playing a piece for the first time—you wouldn't expect to master it at first sight, right?”

This is wonderful advice for reading poetry of any kind, and greatly enhanced my theretofore fitful experience with the Cantos. It also didn’t hurt that in another e-mail, Paul validated my frustrations with Pound and shared some of his own. He bemoaned Pound's “impatience with the world” and said the poet was often “in too much of a rush, his mind leaping way ahead of his readers, a genius tripping over his own feet.”

The Cantos, for all of their moments of brilliance (and there are many), are nonetheless read primarily for their value as part of Pound’s case history. G.K. Chesterton once wrote that “the lunatic is the man who lives in a small world but thinks it is a large one.” If I can modify Chesterton slightly—Pound believed that the world was exactly the size of his fury with it, and therefore enormous. Zukofsky, in many ways Pound’s antithesis, knew that the world was large just because it was. His 24-section poem finds vastness in each hour of the day, but he also knows that his life’s work ultimately represents one single rotation of a planet so small in the universe it might as well not even exist.

This dual consciousness of the infinite and the infinitesimal both humbled and freed Zukofsky. A passage in “A”-13 seems to underscore Zukofsky’s own awareness of the fact:

I won’t say that “the world”
    Grows more attaching—
    The universe simply does;

The luxury, the magnificent waste
    Of thought fed, fed, consecrated
    Impingements on things, boundlessly

Elsewhere in “A”-13 and “A”-14 we find Zukofsky attempting to reproduce in English the flow of a certain kind of Japanese calligraphy. Pound has a cameo as a clue in the Times crossword puzzle. There’s some relineated Milton. “A”-16 consists of four words (“An / inequality / wind flower”) arranged on a single page. Then things start to get really weird. “A”-17 through “A”-23 contain a coronal, a play, and plenty of Hugh Kenner’s vaunted hermeticism. Ahearn’s and Rieke’s and Violi’s words of wisdom notwithstanding, I struggled with the later sections of “A.” Reading them felt as if the Hubble telescope of poetry was transmitting images of the cosmic soup that birthed the Language galaxy. If that sounds interesting to you, then run, don’t walk. Otherwise, take your time.

The final movement of the poem, “A”-24, takes up over a quarter of the book’s total page count and is—appropriately, perhaps inevitably—a musical score. But it’s not by Zukofsky. His wife, Celia, working in secret, chose passages from all across Zukofsky’s prodigious catalog of writings (poetry, prose, criticism, plays) and set her selections to music by Handel. She called the arrangement L.Z. Masque, and gave it to her husband as a gift in 1968. He liked it so much that he decided to make it the capstone of his life’s work.

It should go without saying that “A”-24 returned me once again to Paul Violi’s advice to approach a poem as a piece of music. What I found, though, is that the value of the metaphor was compromised by my attempt to literalize it. (This is not Paul’s fault, of course. Metaphors are agents of imagination; if they could be translated into nonmetaphorical terms, we wouldn’t need them in the first place.) Imagining myself as a musician hard at work on my craft lent dignity to the struggle to master difficult poetry, which in turn encouraged perseverance in the enterprise. Being confronted with an actual musical score, however, just reminded me that I can’t read music or play an instrument. I also have to admit that I wondered whether there ever existed a reader so dutiful that she would sight-read 200-plus pages of Handel even if she could. But perhaps I was missing the point. Celia Zukofsky, after all, had no expectation that her L.Z. Masque might be included in “A.” She was an accomplished musician who often set pieces of her husband’s work to music and performed them. There is little reason to think that Zukofsky lost sight of this when he added the Masque to “A.” Indeed, he probably regarded “A”-24 as the closest he could get to realizing the condition of music in poetry: the essential condition of music is the fact that it must be performed. As Ahearn notes, “‘A’ commences at a performance, but it ends as a performance,” one that is also a collaboration: not just between the Zukofskys and a two-centuries-dead composer, but also with anybody else who might decide someday to perform it again, anew.

At the Zukofsky page at the University of Pennsylvania's PennSound Archive, you can hear two performances of “A”-24, from June and November 1978. (The performances commemorate, respectively, Zukofsky’s death in May at age 74, and the publication of the University of California Press edition of “A”.) Bob Perelman plays the score on the piano while Lyn Hejinian and “an ensemble of Bay Area poets” talk over each other as the voices of Thought, Drama, Story, and Poem (a headnote emphasizes that “the words are NEVER SUNG to the music”). If you want to know how these voices relate to the characters (Cousin, Nurse, Father, and so on) or exactly what happens over the course of the piece’s two acts, you’ll have to ask Lyn Hejinian. The ensemble’s barroom exuberance is a welcome counterweight to the cryptic tumult of the text, but that in itself wasn’t enough to keep me listening for 77 minutes. It seems I’m just not that into “A”-24—indeed, I could do without at least a third of what’s in “A”—and I’m okay with that. “A” by turns yielded delight and frustration, edification and confusion, pleasure and boredom. Other readers will have those same responses but match them to different sections than I did. I’m sure something I glossed over (or that glazed my eyes over) strikes someone else as the glorious best that “A” has to offer. So be it. An 826-page poem is not a Facebook post, to be “liked” or else ignored. I feel free to say that I prefer “A”-13 to, say, “A”-20 in the same way I feel free to say that I prefer Brooklyn to Miami, or Hong Kong to Macau. “A” is like a big, strange country that for a long time was hard to get a visa to visit. That it is suddenly more accessible is cause for celebration in and of itself, irrespective of whether you ever decide to make the trip. For whatever it’s worth to you, I’m glad I went.

Originally Published: August 24th, 2011

10. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Strange Meetings
    Attraction and Defection in the January 2017 Poetry

Despite its diminutive name, “Microliths”—a collection of Paul Celan prose fragments featured in the January 2017 issue of Poetry—offers some grandly resonant ideas about poetry. “The poem,” Celan writes, “puts up with the shared cognizance of the one who ‘produces’ it only as long as is necessary for its coming into existence.” Rhyme is similarly touch-and-go:

a chance meeting at a place in language-time nobody can foresee, it lets this word coincide with that other one—for how long? For a limited time: the poet, who wants to stay true to that principle of freedom that announces itself in the rhyme, now has to turn his back to the rhyme.
    —Translated by Pierre Joris

Meeting, leave-taking, even alienation: for Celan, poetry embodies all of those phenomena.

Often enough, it describes them, too. This issue is full of strange meetings, of attractions and repulsions, doublings and rupturings. Take, for instance, Caroline Bird’s “Megan Married Herself.” Conventional marriages bond two people into a single couple, but Megan’s splits one person into two:

She arrived at the country mansion in a silver limousine.
    She’d sent out invitations and everything:
    her name written twice with “&” in the middle,
    the calligraphy of coupling.

Similarly, before kissing a mirror, she offers a mirrored vow—“I do. I do”—that suggests she consists of two “I”s, two selves. Bird shifts her pronoun use, affirming the transition:

Not a soul questioned their devotion.
    You only had to look at them. Hand cupped in hand.
    Smiling out of the same eyes. You could sense
    their secret language, bone-deep, blended blood.

From “she” to “they”: this marriage at once joins and sunders, or joins what was already sundered. (For doesn’t marriage to oneself suggest—along with a perfectly matched union—the existence of two divergent selves housed within a single person?) Bird’s language is familiar from descriptions of wedding scenes, though usually terms like “same eyes” and “blended blood” function metaphorically. What’s the effect of their literal use here? Might it point to our impossibly high expectations of identification within a couple—expectations satisfied only if you marry someone unfeasibly similar to you?

While the bride celebrates, another mirror image of her—in the person of a man named Derek—eyes his wife and remembers his old proposal to himself: “I’m the only one who will ever truly understand you. / Marry me, Derek. I love you. Marry me.”

“Is it too late for us to try?” Derek whispered
    to no one, as the bride glided herself onto the dance floor,
    taking turns first to lead then follow.

As earlier in the poem, Bird uses conventional language to describe an unconventional situation. A married man watches a newly married woman and whispers his longing—but he isn’t longing for her, he’s longing for himself. Or is he? He whispers his plea “to no one”—a reminder that this bride’s plan hints not just at her multiplicity but also at her singularity, her solitude.

Multiplicity and singularity are also at play in Hieu Minh Nguyen’s “Changeling,” another study of identification and difference. The speaker is a mirror image of his mother, who is (fittingly) gazing into a mirror:

Standing in front of a mirror, my mother tells me she is ugly
    says the medication is making her fat. I laugh & walk her
    back to the bed. My mother tells me she is ugly in the same voice
    she used to say no woman could love you & I watch her
    pull at her body & it is mine. My heavy breast.
    My disappointing shape.

One thinks of Bird’s term “blended blood”: this mother and son blur thoroughly. The mother used to insult her son as easily as she now insults herself, and as he watches, her body turns into his (in an echo, perhaps, of his birth). He mentions his “heavy breast”—a peculiarly maternal description of his form—and by the next line, he’s insulting himself, Mom-style, citing his “disappointing shape.”

Toward the end of the poem, Nguyen provides a “mirror-image” sentence: “I tell my mother she is still beautiful & she laughs.” It’s an inversion of what happens earlier in the poem: rather than insult, he praises; rather than his laughter, hers. And then something stranger happens: “The room fills / with flies. They gather in the shape of a small boy. They lead her / back to the mirror, but my reflection is still there.” Nguyen is playing with the tradition of the “changeling” child—the magical child once believed, in certain traditions, to be substituted by fairies in place of the real one. Here, a swarm of flies—symbol of disease, and thus a fitting match for this sickbed scene—is taking on his youthful shape.

The theme of change (if not of changelings) runs through the whole poem: the mother’s aging and illness; her anxiety about growing fat; her body’s transformation into his and his attitude into hers. Yet after flies adopt his childish form and lead his mother to the mirror, his reflection has stayed as it was before, beaming back at his mother, as if to assert that son and parent are, after all, one and the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Poem Related Content
    Discover this poem's context and related poetry.

What the Bones Know
    Related Poem Content Details
    By Carolyn Kizer

Remembering the past
    And gloating at it now,
    I know the frozen brow
    And shaking sides of lust
    Will dog me at my death
    To catch my ghostly breath.

I think that Yeats was right,
    That lust and love are one.
    The body of this night
    May beggar me to death,
    But we are not undone
    Who love with all our breath.

I know that Proust was wrong,
    His wheeze: love, to survive,
    Needs jealousy, and death
    And lust, to make it strong
    Or goose it back alive.
    Proust took away my breath.

The later Yeats was right
    To think of sex and death
    And nothing else. Why wait
    Till we are turning old?
    My thoughts are hot and cold.
    I do not waste my breath.

Carolyn Kizer, "What the Bones Know" from Cool, Calm & Collected: Poems 1960-2000. Copyright © 2001 by Carolyn Kizer. Reprinted by permission of Copper Canyon Press, P. O. Box 271, Port Townsend, WA 98368-0271, www.coppercanyonpress.org.
    Source: Cool, Calm & Collected: Poems 1960-2000 (Copper Canyon Press, 2001)

The later Yeats was right
    To think of sex and death
    And nothing else. Why wait
    Till we are turning old?
    My thoughts are hot and cold.
    I do not waste my breath.
    ---Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Poetry News
    A Certain Poetic History: Peter Gizzi’s Archeophonics
    By Harriet Staff

Peter Gizzi’s Archeophonics (Wesleyan, 2016) is reviewed by Martha Ronk at Constant Critic this month. “The book directly raises questions of how one is to go about the writing of poetry given the collapse of language and the self, as in an initiating quotation from Rimbaud: ‘For today’s tourist, orientation is impossible.’” More:

The songs that make up the book utilize the metaphor of “air,” an early word for song, and frequently turn to the air itself for inspiration, as Romantic poets often did and as others influenced by them (for example, Wallace Stevens) have done: “Looking out over the day, the pale performing day. / I always consult the air before composing air.” I am reminded of Coleridge’s “Aeolian Harp” or Shelley’s “Ode to the West Wind” and Gizzi’s own “Wind Instrument”: “Was that a cathedral bell / or the air conditioner? / Crisp air coming in.” Here “air” is also a voice talking as the air of the world moves into the speaking poet: “you do all the talking, / you do all the talking / and forget the world.” In thinking about this and Gizzi’s adoption of a specific tradition, I returned to M.H. Abrams’s suggestive “The Correspondent Breeze: a Romantic Metaphor”:

“Breathing” is only one aspect of a more general component in Romantic poetry. This is air-in-motion, whether it occurs as breeze or breath, wind or respiration—whether the air is compelled into motion by natural forces or by the action of the human lungs. That the poetry of Coleridge, Wordsworth, Shelley, Byron should be so thoroughly ventilated is itself noteworthy; but the surprising thing is how often, in the major poems, the wind is not only a literal attribute of the landscape, but also a metaphor for a change in the poet’s mind.

Thus the book takes a long view of the role of poetry both echoing poetry of the past and looking to the round of seasons and the future, adopting a generalized vocabulary and nature metaphors for the possibilities of revision. Two voices, it seems to me, characterize Archeophonics, the speaker-as-Poet placing himself in and defending Poetry and another that reads as specifically personal: “I hate that, when syntax / connects me to the rich” or “Next year my body will be 57; it was human, it was American, it was a piece of big data.” The representative “voice” of the book’s argument remains the significant, which is perhaps risky in the contemporary world of more political poetry, more specific lexicons, more fury. It posits an argument for a certain poetic history, for a range of different poetic projects, and for the ways in which poets can revitalize the so-called “old,” here represented by a familiar struggle between death and life, and by particular metaphors and vocabulary. In one poem, risk is acknowledged as a solo flight “back / into the old language.”

The full review can be found at Constant Critic.

Tags: Constant Critic, Martha Ronk, Peter Gizzi, Wesleyan University Press
    Posted in Poetry News on Friday, January 20th, 2017 by Harriet Staff.

Thus the book takes a long view of the role of poetry both echoing poetry of the past and looking to the round of seasons and the future, adopting a generalized vocabulary and nature metaphors for the possibilities of revision. Two voices, it seems to me, characterize Archeophonics, the speaker-as-Poet placing himself in and defending Poetry and another that reads as specifically personal: “I hate that, when syntax / connects me to the rich” or “Next year my body will be 57; it was human, it was American, it was a piece of big data.” The representative “voice” of the book’s argument remains the significant, which is perhaps risky in the contemporary world of more political poetry, more specific lexicons, more fury. It posits an argument for a certain poetic history, for a range of different poetic projects, and for the ways in which poets can revitalize the so-called “old,” here represented by a familiar struggle between death and life, and by particular metaphors and vocabulary. In one poem, risk is acknowledged as a solo flight “back / into the old language.”

Yes, I have found the elitism, snobbery and new age faithful intolerance of poems being written with deeper meaning and in rhyme and not as free verse/chaotic ramblings to be dominate at most internet poetry sites.
    Modern poetry(those whose influence govern whats lauded and promoted) wants no part(or else very little ) of deeper, more solid poems that present clear and/or moral messages to the readers!
    Sad and indicative of not only great error but arrogance, elitism and liberal politics invading to destroy the more solid forms of poetry IMHO.--Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay
    Advanced Sentiment
    On Eileen Myles and the transparency of fame.
    By Arielle Greenberg

“Fame is merely advanced sentiment.”

Eileen Myles wrote that line. If you follow contemporary American poetry, you probably heard of her years ago: she is the author of 19 books, has been a central player in the poetry community of downtown New York City for decades, is a lesbian literature superstar, writes about and collaborates with renowned avant-garde artists in other mediums, and has toured and taught all over the world. That said, she’s a poet, and even famous poets are rarely household names. Lately, though, she’s hard to miss: last fall, two Myles books were published: a reissue of one of her most famous titles, the 1994 novel Chelsea Girls, and a volume of new and selected poems, I Must Be Living Twice. She’s become a media darling, profiled everywhere from the Paris Review to New York Magazine and featured in not one but two articles in the same recent issue of the Sunday New York Times.

One of Myles’s earliest influences was Andy Warhol, so it makes sense that she seems to be approaching the sudden spike in her celebrity with a mixture of bemusement, scholarly curiosity, giddy enthusiasm, and Zen detachment. It is not lost on her that as a poet who has often written about fame, she is now as famous as a poet can get, and that this role is fraught. Famous people are of course the repositories for the hopes, dreams, and shames of the non-famous. Through depictions of their lives and choices—no matter how manufactured or one-dimensional the versions we receive might be—we see our own.

This is also perhaps the purpose of autobiographical literature: the Confessional poem, the memoir, the fictionalized account of a life we recognize as the author’s own, all of which are genres and styles Myles has played with over the years. Sometimes the reception of such a literary work generates fame for the author, and thus both the life-depicting work and the life itself are altered ever after by celebrity so that the art and the image are indistinguishable. This is the hall of mirrors in which Myles finds herself in now.

For example, Myles pops up in a recent New Yorker profile of television-show creator Jill Soloway, her current romantic partner. In the kind of meet-cute that usually happens only on sitcoms, Soloway had never met Myles until she began researching her as the basis for a lesbian poet-academic character, Leslie Mackinaw, for Soloway’s hit TV show, Transparent. The research led to a virtual crush, and after the two appeared on a panel together in Los Angeles, an actual relationship began. Although the New Yorker piece is about Soloway, not Myles, Myles has the last word in the piece: There is “the fiction of being alive,” she said, how with “every step, you’re making up who you are.”

In a conversation with Adam Fitzgerald for (Warhol’s) Interview magazine, Myles talked about Warhol’s impact on her generation of artists. “There were all these constructed identities, made-up selves. And even though my fake persona was my literal persona, I was constructing it. I got to New York in the seventies, and I remember looking at Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen—these are working-class kids from New Jersey—and I thought, ‘I'll be a working-class kid from Boston.’ Well, I was a working-class kid from Boston. … So it’s somewhere between constructing and believing, and I’ve been living that construction for as long as I can remember. But even before I was a poet, who hasn't been making up a self?”

It’s true, of course: we all make up a self. We invent and perform multiple selves. But writers—especially writers who choose an autobiographical first person, as Myles does—have a particularly bizarre relationship to that invented self because the construction is also the basis for the art. Then the art generates further ideas about the invented self, and sometimes the maker gets a bit famous, and now which is which? Is the constructed self the writer? Is the writer the work? Is the work the image, the fame? Is the image or fame the same as the life? There it is: the hall of mirrors.

I can distinctly remember being a young poet—nose ring, vintage dress, combat boots—browsing through the experimental literature section at Tower Books on Astor Place in New York’s East Village in the mid-nineties and stumbling across the distinctive, ribbed-matte-paper texture of a book from Black Sparrow. The book was Myles’s Chelsea Girls: in episodic chapters; a lesbian poet named Eileen Myles alternately recalls her childhood and gets into and out of all kinds of grown-up, sexy trouble—fights with cops, a momentary hippie experiment at Woodstock, drunken affairs with junkies. It’s rambling, graphic, direct, deliciously gossipy, and rife with badassery and insightful self-awareness: “I guess I was about 18 and I was driving in a car down the Southeast Expressway toward Cape Cod,” the Popponesset chapter begins:

I had a tall can of beer in my hand and it seems I see me in profile. How strange. I was riding in Louise’s car, a black Mustang. She was a short athletic constantly tanned girl. I had a strange feeling of excitement around Louise which compelled me to fulfill her idea of me.

Chelsea Girls is billed as a novel, but it reads more like a memoir in anecdotes. Or a tell-all of a certain moment in the American poetry scene, with the names changed to semi-protect the innocent. Myles herself calls it a “fuck you to the notion of genre.”

Chelsea Girls wasn’t the first time I’d heard of Myles. I was fresh out of undergraduate school, and my knowledge of contemporary American poetry wasn’t particularly deep, but I already knew Myles’s name and something of her reputation: I knew she was a lesbian who wrote about that, openly and proudly. I knew that although Chelsea Girls was prose, Myles mostly wrote poems, in a style associated with the second generation New York School style that I loved: casual, deceptively plainspoken, somewhat surrealistically discursive, intimately conversational, as in the opening of her early poem “Romantic Pain”:

And in the first bar
    the woman next to me said, “
    How would you like to be introduced
    to a couple of muscle-bound …”
    Then she talked about when she
    had been chef, “Moist juicy
    salad with russian dressing”
    I gulped my bourbon & walked
    out the door.
    The second bar was all women.
    Bartender, a chubby Diane Keaton.

I knew she wrote short lines in long columns, like Robert Creeley, as in this excerpt from her long poem “Merk,” from 1997’s School of Fish:

I am the daughter
    of substitution
    my father fell
    instead of the dresser
    it was the family
    joke, his death
    not a suicide
    but a joke

I knew she wrote in messy, manic long lines, like Allen Ginsberg, as in this excerpt from another long poem, “Whax ‘n Wayne,” from 1982’s Sappho’s Boat:

It’s the new god, the one that doesn’t know about me at all,
    who misses me in movies, restaurants, who doesn’t count my
    wheels spinning—who could count silence? that’s the one I love.

And I knew she was cool.

In 1994, Myles was cool by definition and by association: because I was a mildly punk rock (indie, we said then) riot grrl writer, most things queer were cool, and most things poetry were cool, and most things that referred to Andy Warhol were cool, and most things on St. Mark’s Place (including the Poetry Project, for which Myles served as director in the mid-eighties) and in the East Village (where Myles lives) were cool. She had studied with Alice Notley and Ted Berrigan, two of the most admired, most out-there poets of the countercultural New York literary scene. In a recent interview in the Guardian, Myles says of this time, “you just rolled in on Friday night with your beer and Alice Notley was teaching a workshop. You brought drugs.” She had worked as an assistant to James Schuyler, one of the original New York School poets. She may have come from a working-class family in Massachusetts, but if what impresses you are the avant-garde and renegade circles of New York City poetics, Myles’s pedigree is second to none.

At the time, in the mid-nineties, SoHo was becoming a high-end shopping mall: many newly arrived artists I knew were nostalgic for a downtown we’d never gotten to experience, the grittier version from the late seventies and the eighties that Myles wrote about and still represented. I remember attending a screening of experimental films and hearing that one of the impressive young directors was Myles’s girlfriend and that Myles herself was in the audience. This was presented as juicy, insider information. In the small world of innovative poets and artists, Myles was already universally acknowledged to be the height of cool.

Myles herself knows (I assume) that she was and is cool because she knows what it means to be cool: coolness is often the subject of the work and a word she uses often in her writing (including in the title of her novel Cool for You). In I Must Be Living Twice, the very first poem included from her very first book—The Irony of the Leash (1978)—begins “Oh, Hello. C’mon in. / You know I was just thinking about how you’ve / Always thought I was cool …” In many of her poems, Myles takes sex and drugs and rock ’n’ roll as subjects. She writes about cigarettes and bourbon and romantic love. She writes about living in the city. She writes about her dog and about the devil. She writes quite a bit about Joan of Arc, a figure who has come to be deployed in 21st-century Western culture as almost a cliché of renegade feminist cool. (Myles has written that she “loves clichés.”)

Of course, if it were all a veneer, all an act of coolness, Myles wouldn’t be cool at all. What makes Myles’s poems so resonant is, in fact, their reverence: she writes with swagger but also with honesty and vulnerability, a lesbian James Dean. They are urbane and fresh; they radiate energy and humanity. She writes about the time when she “had a small hole / in the shoulder of my white shirt, and another on / the back” and how she looked “just beautiful” (from her poem “Holes”). Her poem “The Honey Bear” begins with a typically louche scene: the speaker is listening to Billie Holliday and “standing in the kitchen / smoking my cigarette of this / pack I plan to finish tonight / last night of smoking youth.” But what follows are a series of admissions of frailty: rather than drinking whiskey, the speaker “made a cup of this funny / kind of tea I’ve had hanging / around.” And even though the tea’s “[a] little too sweet,” her “only impulse / was to make it sweeter.” Later she tells us, “I’m standing by the tub / feeling a little older” and yet “I’m not a bad looking woman / I suppose.” I think it’s this mixture of bravado and doubt, shamelessness and anxiety, that so endears Myles to her readers.

I find it wild how much of the recent media coverage of Myles’s newfound, larger-scale fame—her “retrospective moment” or “ascension into the mainstream,” as a host of big-name publications have recently deemed it—is about that fame itself and about the problems thereof.

Of course, it is weird for a poet to be famous, and no one feels this weirdness more deeply than poets themselves. It’s even more weird for a poet to be newly more famous—genuinely, glossy-magazine famous—in her mid-sixties, after writing 19 books, after being famous within that smaller world for many years prior.

So now Myles is famous in part for having been famous on that micro level for so long and stepping through the invisible boundary that keeps poetry celebrity from actual, A-list, American celebrity. Myles was once the kind of literary star who sits in a dark corner of a seedy downtown bar while the fellow poets gathered to talk excitedly to her. Now she’s the kind of star whose face or words show up on television or at the local Cineplex.

Even when the work is about the Self, we want and expect that others will weigh in on it, critically, as art. But many poets—especially, I wager, queer, feminist, marginalized, and young poets—read a Myles poem and see, beyond the work as literature, a vision of the self we would like to enact in the world: brash, confident, living large. This was true in the seventies and the nineties and is still true today: the colloquial language and loose-limbed structure of her poems, from the earliest to the most current, feel vibrant and risk taking and wild.

So, in a sort of fangirl way, I feel awkward writing about Eileen Myles the celebrity, the poetry rock star. Because, of course, she is also still Eileen Myles the actual person and the actual poet. (Like many people in the poetry community, she and I are generally acquainted—she wrote a blurb for an anthology I edited—but I do not know her well.)

Another reason I feel awkward writing this piece is that Myles is a living writer, completely capable of formulating and disseminating her own ideas about her reputation and her fame. She’s been doing just that with typical introspection and wit. For WIFEY, the feminist media site Soloway co-runs, Myles wrote a piece of lyric prose called “Copy, Copy” about her involvement with Transparent:

later on I was engaged in some emails with the wardrobe people about what such a character might wear and of course there are these ideas about lesbian academics or poets that they dress in sort of baggy masculine clothes so I suggested that such a character might wear tighter shirts and not such loose jeans. A vest they asked. Well maybe.

Later in the piece, she writes of the actor Cherry Jones, who plays Leslie Mackinaw, the character based on Myles on Transparent: “Slowly I’m thinking at least for now she might be a better copy of me than myself.” She writes about playing a cameo part as a friend of Leslie’s, which is to say she plays her own sidekick.

Myles also weighs in on how, in a climactic episode in Transparent’s second season, Leslie Mackinaw reads poetry at a fictionalized version of the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival. The poem she reads, “School of Fish,” is an actual Myles poem. Thus we have an alternate television reality, a (semi-transparent) palimpsest in which the poem that exists in our world is turned into a slightly tweaked version of itself at a slightly tweaked version of a real event. Of this Myles writes, “Just as Cherry Jones can play a poet Leslie Mackinaw based somewhat on an actual poet, Eileen Myles, so can a poem, this one called ‘School of Fish’ be pawned off as a poem written by someone else, the fictional poet Leslie Mackinaw. … The poem was on stage in Cherry’s mouth (kind of weird) cause now she had my poem and my clothes.”

Is there a need for me to write these thoughts about fame and coolness if Myles’s work has been about these very issues all along?

In a recent piece for New York Magazine about Myles, Rachel Monroe interviewed director Paul Weitz about the poet, whose lines are used as an epigraph to open his film Grandma. Lily Tomlin plays Elle, an aging lesbian poet, who, unlike Myles, has not seen her success build over her later years. She is currently down on her luck and has a grandchild. Explaining why he chose to evoke Myles, Weitz calls her a badass, an ass-kicker. “She’s incredibly literate, with an aspect of punk rock,” Weitz says. “That’s what I was hoping to capture with Lily Tomlin’s character—that somebody in their sixties can be more edgy than somebody in their teens.”

But what are the financial implications of “edginess”? There are maybe only two economic categories for the contemporary image of the Poet: glamorously broke, in a bohemian sort of way (garret apartment, getting by on charm alone), or glamorously rich, in a bohemian sort of way (louche attire, frequent travel, fabulous parties around a built-in stone fire ring). The Tomlin character in Grandma, Elle Reid, of the cut-up credit card sculptures and the broken-down vintage car, occupies the former category. The Cherry Jones character on Transparent, Leslie Mackinaw, of the outdoor hot tub and impressive feminist art collection in the Los Angeles hills, occupies the latter.

In real life, though, Myles is somewhere between: she keeps a sparsely furnished, rent-stabilized apartment in Manhattan and recently bought a house in the artsy rural town of Marfa, Texas. She has no graduate degree and has mostly worked part-time teaching gigs and pieced together literary awards and fellowships. Like most people from working- and middle-class backgrounds, Myles knows there’s no appeal in being actually poor. She has said, “Money is much dirtier than sex ever was. That’s why I write about it.”

In conversation with Ben Lerner for the Paris Review, Myles further attempts to explode the myth of the too-cool-for-school, cavalier, non-working poet. She says, “There’s a faux vernacular, as though the ambition must be hidden at all times, to be more, I don’t know, attractive? It’s the loafer posture, the veneer of ‘I don’t really need this.’… There’s a whole female industry engaged in materially supporting the illusion that the artist doesn’t work directly on his legacy, his immediate success. He’s just a beautiful stoner boy or an intellectual.” In opposition to this, and on political principle, Myles is honest about her “sense of preservation,” as she calls it in the poem “Life,” the fact that she is smart and hardworking. She tells Lerner, “I like turning that illusion [of not working] inside out. And making the work be literally about the field and the failures and even the practice.” That more nuanced reality—of getting by, of putting in the hours, of living on very little, of tireless self-promotion—is harder to translate into a depiction of coolness.

Part of the ongoing outsider appeal of Myles’s work is that the multiple invented and performed selves she embodies revolve around gender and/or sexuality. For many of us, these are crucial components to the way we understand ourselves in the world. On Transparent, a few of the most interesting (and heartbreaking) scenes depict generational tensions within the queer community on this very notion. Young queers and trans people were raised with a discourse around the notions of fluidity and gender as a construction; there can be disconnect with elders who came up viewing sexuality and gender expression and identity in more binary or fixed categories, often informed by political climates that made such hard lines feel like a necessity. For example, the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival famously had an “intention” that all attendees must be “womyn who were born female, raised as girls and who continue to identify as womyn,” thereby excluding trans women and other gender-nonconforming folks, which eventually made the event controversial among its own radical audience. This controversy is depicted on Transparent, through conversations between previous generations—Leslie and her older lesbian friends—and younger, differently politicized queers.

In the real world version of this generational chasm, Myles has been something of a poster dyke and as such has been chastised for making comments viewed as transphobic by some in the media. Others have questioned her statements that, had she been born decades later, she may have chosen to identify as genderqueer or to have transitioned. The truth is no doubt more complicated than any of those sound bites can relay: like many LGBTQ people, Myles has long invented her own rules around her relationship to sexuality and gender because the standard narrative never applied. A chapter from 1994’s Chelsea Girls holds this internal monologue, in the voice of a middle-school Eileen:

I was Mary’s boyfriend. I had always wanted to be a boy. To have women love me, to have extra rooms to go into, to be free. There on the soft couch in the Dolan’s parlor as we lifted our tall metal cups of Hawaiian Punch to our lips, the moment I was male and I was loved.

As always seems to be the case, in terms of deconstructing her own image, Myles got there first and wrote it better.

Why is the media so obsessed with Myles’s ascent into mainstream celebrity? I think a host of reasons are at play: the way Americans try to get “cultured” by osmosis so that stylish articles about poetry make us feel more intellectual, the “bootstraps” nature of Myles’s story, the novelty of someone who ran for president as a piece of performance art getting photographed for glossy magazines. I find myself thinking about a term used a lot in my circles in the early 1990s: co-opting. Back then, it seemed that everything authentic and revolutionary and vital—the riot grrl movement, grunge music, hip-hop—was quickly gobbled up by the establishment and spat back out in clean, shiny packages for mass consumption. I worry that the hoopla over Myles is an attempt by the media to take everything underground about her and her work and use it to make itself look cool.

Myles, however, seems to be thus far walking through the gauntlet of attention with her signature urban cowboy stride. Of the recognition, she told Lerner in the Paris Review, “Everything will ruin you; why not this?” and added, “It’s really creepy to be addicted to yourself or the performance of yourself. Like looking at your phone too much.”

So let’s let Myles think about her actual and constructed selves, and we can think about her image and her writing. The distinction between them all may get blurry, but so be it. As Myles said in the Los Angeles Times, the publication of poems drawn from lived experience is a kind of success in triplicate: first there’s the meaning derived from living through the experience itself, and then there’s the jolt of joy that comes from making a decent poem from the experience, and then there’s the publication and subsequent readership of the experience via poem, which, in the end, simply “makes a thing out of something that was always true.”

Originally Published: March 17th, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting read on modern poetry and what is believed to be great .....
    I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS MYLES, BUT THEN AGAIN , I AM A PRODUCT OF THE OLD-SCHOOL POETS THAT BELIEVE IN RHYME AND MESSAGE OVER ALL ELSE...

So shoot me for thinking that legendary poets of old , are legendary for a damn good reason!---Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 01-23-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Article for Teachers and Students

The Sonnet as a Silver Marrow Spoon
    Finding pleasure and insight where it lies hidden, using in a fixed poetic form
    By Adam O'Riordan

A line will take us hours maybe;
    Yet if it does not seem a moment’s thought,
    Our stitching and unstitching has been naught.
    Better go down upon your marrow-bones
    And scrub a kitchen pavement, or break stones ...
    —William Butler Yeats, “Adam’s Curse”

There is a restaurant in London that advertises “nose-to-tail eating,” and it prides itself that no part of an animal is left unused. I had a friend who when eating there would invariably order the bone marrow on toast. The dish came with a small implement, no bigger than a little finger, which the diner used to extract the marrow, a silver marrow spoon, perfectly engineered to slide inside the baked bone and remove its contents.

Perhaps it was the marrow and its Yeatsian echo that pushed my mind into a literary mode, but this elegant, antiquated tool always struck me as a metaphor for the sonnet: probing, incisive, finding pleasure and insight where it lies hidden, a form that allows poets to make use of what might ordinarily be overlooked or discarded.

As an eighteen-year-old undergraduate, I struggled for a long time to write a sonnet. It seemed like the correct form, the form I should be writing in. But I would become snagged in the intricacies of the meter and struggle for rhymes only to find that they felt forced.

I was at the same time aware of poems on both sides of the Atlantic influenced by the New Formalist school of poets: each iamb weighed, each volta perfectly placed, the rhymes fulsome and plangent but the sum of the whole, on second or third reading, saying very little whatsoever.

So I would strip the sonnet down to its simplest form: an idea or a story that, somewhere around the eighth or ninth line, is nudged or diverted slightly in its path so that it turns and says something else.

The thing I would like to put to a class of seniors is the sonnet in its loosest, least restrictive form. (In fact, some of my favorite sonnets are not sonnets at all. Richard Wilbur’s masterly sequence “This Pleasing Anxious Being” in Mayflies seems to me to do everything a sonnet should but over a more leisurely eighteen to twenty lines per section.)

Seamus Heaney’s sonnets in the sequence “Clearances,” from his collection The Haw Lantern, show how something as simple as a memory of peeling potatoes can be substance enough for a poem:

When all the others were away at Mass
    I was all hers as we peeled potatoes.
    They broke the silence, let fall one by one
    Like solder weeping off the soldering iron:
    Cold comforts set between us, things to share
    Gleaming in a bucket of clean water.
    And again let fall. Little pleasant splashes
    From each other’s work would bring us to our senses.

So while the parish priest at her bedside
    Went hammer and tongs at the prayers for the dying
    And some were responding and some crying
    I remembered her head bent towards my head,
    Her breath in mine, our fluent dipping knives—
    Never closer the whole rest of our lives.

Begin by directing students to the narratives, the secrets, the unshared, the family myths or legends. Have them think back to half-remembered episodes, stories or confidences older brothers or sisters or cousins or uncles might have shared with them, casually, unthinkingly, in passing, as such stories are often shared.

Ask them to tell a story as they remember it for the first eight or nine lines and then allow themselves to comment on it from their present vantage point. What do they know now that they did not know then? What light does the present cast back onto that particular story?

The sonnet’s volta is its turn, the point at which it shifts. We see this vividly in Shakespeare’s “Sonnet 18” with its declaration in the ninth line: “But thy eternal summer shall not fade”—the addressee of the poem has so far been compared to a summer day, but at that line things change. I’ve added a space here to indicate the shift:

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
    Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
    Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
    And summer’s lease hath all too short a date:
    Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
    And often is his gold complexion dimm’d;
    And every fair from fair sometime declines,
    By chance or nature’s changing course untrimm’d;
    But thy eternal summer shall not fade
    Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
    Nor shall Death brag thou wander’st in his shade,
    When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
    So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
    So long lives this and this gives life to thee.

The turn in a sonnet allows the poet to interrogate and cast new light on the previous eight lines. In the case of the above exercise, in which the students are relating some sort of narrative, the turn allows reassessment; it’s a chance to comment upon what came before or to include a twist.

Remind students that people carry these narratives around for a long time, and so when we gaze at them through the vehicle of the sonnet, there are things about them we will discover that we did not know we knew: twists, turns, reinterpretations of that intimate cache of stories and tales that accrue over the course of childhood. These seniors on the edge of adulthood might now want to reassess, or comment upon, these stories from childhood.

If students find the story pulling away from the truth, that’s OK. You might remind them that they’re serving the poem, not the story, which is simply the impetus, the fuel for the piece of art they find themselves making. You might remind them here of the old adage: “Trust the poem, not the poet.”

And that’s it, really. Show young writers the sonnet in its simplest, most stripped-back form. Direct them to the stories from their past. Let the sonnet, memory’s own silver marrow spoon, with its turn, its volta, generate within them comments on the stories they are telling. The writing of the sonnet—as with any poem—should be a form of discovery, a digging down into the self, like that dish in the London restaurant that most of us might balk at if it were placed before us: intimate and strange upon the tongue.

This essay was originally published in Open the Door: How to Excite Young People about Poetry (2013), a co-publication of the Poetry Foundation and McSweeney's Publishing, edited by Dorothea Lasky, Dominic Luxford, and Jesse Nathan.
    Originally Published: December 14th, 2015

Perhaps it was the marrow and its Yeatsian echo that pushed my mind into a literary mode, but this elegant, antiquated tool always struck me as a metaphor for the sonnet: probing, incisive, finding pleasure and insight where it lies hidden, a form that allows poets to make use of what might ordinarily be overlooked or discarded.

Exceptional article and very informative. Sonnets to me are the greatest poetry form.
    Their brevity(14 verses maximum) and purpose make sonnets the hardest poetry form to write, as in -- to write truly well/great/deep..
    I do try to break a few rules with some of my sonnets ,such as increasing syllable count from ten, all the way up to 15.
    However, on the whole, majority of the time I try to write in ten syllable verses... -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 01-24-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Essay
    First Loves
    A formative moment, fixed in poets’ minds.
    By Lynn Melnick and Brett Fletcher Lauer
    boy girl bench ice by allthecolor

The Goodwill near Hollywood in the late ’80s was filled with outdated lampshades, corny figurines, and myriad mugs. It was also where, for 50 cents each, one of us—Lynn, to be specific—purchased The American Poetry Anthology, edited by Daniel Halpern, and Dancing on the Grave of a Son of a Bitch, by Diane Wakoski. As for Brett, he didn’t have to search the used-book bins; when he began writing poetry as a teenager, his older brother sent home volumes from college: Sharon Olds’s Satan Says, Mark Strand’s Selected Poems, and the poetry anthology Walk on the Wild Side.

Years later, when the two of us were talking about our early discoveries, it became apparent how much these collections had provided a gateway for us into the world of contemporary poetry. It was with the hope of providing a similarly exhilarating experience to emerging readers and poets that we compiled our anthology Please Excuse This Poem: 100 New Poets for the Next Generation.

In editing, we felt it was important not just to bring contemporary poems to a younger audience but to bring contemporary poets to a younger audience. So much of the poetry taught in schools is written by long-dead poets, and we wanted the readers to get to know the poets as real people, with real, 21st-century lives.

To that end, we sent a questionnaire to all 100 poets included in the anthology, and we included excerpts of their answers in the biographical notes of the book. (You can view them in their entirety here.) We asked the poets questions such as “What is your favorite word?” and “What is the natural talent you would most like to have?” (One-third of the poets listed “singing.”)

For us, though, the most compelling answers were to the question “What was the first poem you read and loved?” For poets, this question seems to recall other first questions they might find themselves asked by a friend: Do you remember your first kiss, or the first concert you attended? It is a formative moment, fixed in poets’ minds, and each tells a story.

We realized that the poets’ answers to this question created a persuasive list for further reading, what we began to call a “shadow anthology.” The following is an edited selection of the responses we received on first-poetry loves, from what we consider to be some of the most exciting poets writing today.

Srikanth Reddy
    I probably read a lot of poems before I ever fell in love with one—you’ve got to kiss a lot of frogs, as they say—but I do remember the first poem that rocked my world: “Disillusionment of Ten O’Clock” by Wallace Stevens. I’ll never forget that drunk and dreaming sailor at the end.

Jennifer Chang
    One of the first poems I found and loved was in a book my grandfather left behind in our house, The World’s Best Poems, edited by Mark Van Doren, which I now keep on my office bookshelves. I was a gloomy little girl of about 11 or 12 and, upon reading that old book, went just crazy for Heinrich Heine, particularly the last stanza of “Mein Kind, Wir Waren Kinder”: “The children’s games are over, / The rest is over with youth— / The world, the good games, the good times, / The belief, and the love, and the truth.” I swooned over this gloomiest of poems and underlined those particular lines repeatedly, as if that would make the words spring to life.

Timothy Donnelly
    The first poems I remember loving were among the things I read in high school English class: poems by Dickinson, Keats, Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar (if that counts); Stevens’s “Sunday Morning” and Eliot’s “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” and The Waste Land. Later on I read Baudelaire, Plath, Rimbaud, and Sexton on my own, as well as other Stevens poems, including “Jasmine’s Beautiful Thoughts Underneath the Willow,” the first poem whose hold on me was so powerful I felt like I must have written it myself.

Hafizah Geter
    The first two books of poetry I ever owned were Been to Yesterdays: Poems of a Life, by Lee Bennett Hopkins, and a collection of Langston Hughes’s poems for children, Don’t You Turn Back. My mother was always reading Langston Hughes to my sister and me, and she would assign us poems from that book to memorize. At six I was reciting “My People,” and my sister, “Mother to Son,” for family friends. Been to Yesterdays was the first book of poems I ever picked out for myself. I remember staying up late at night and reading it under the covers with a flashlight. The experience of those two books is where I began as a writer. They’ve come with me on every move and are two of my most important possessions.

Dorothea Lasky
    Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea. I know it is technically a work of fiction, but it reads like a poem to me. I remember staying up one night when I was 10 to read it for the first time and feeling very proud by the time the morning sun arrived that I had finished. The images have stuck with me all my life. Then, years later, at age 15, I first read Sylvia Plath’s “Fever 103°” and I thought: “I want to write poems like this!”

Mark Bibbins
    When I was 12 or 13 I saw some E.E. Cummings poems and that was that—their weirdness was something that has sustained and challenged me ever since.

Erika L. Sanchez
    I first became enamored with poetry when my sixth-grade teacher had us read Edgar Allan Poe. I was a fairly lonely and depressed 12-year-old, so Poe’s dark and gloomy poems really spoke to me. I specifically remember reading the poem “Alone,” and my first thought was something like “Wow! This creepy guy really understands me!”

Shane Book
    The first poems I remember reading were “Alligator Pie” by Dennis Lee and Robert Service’s “The Cremation of Sam McGee,” though perhaps it was actually my father who read them to me while I stared at the black marks on the pages, saying the words a half-second after he did, a little echo curled into him on the couch. I do recall spending every spare waking moment for what seemed like a week but could have been a month, reading Homer’s Iliad and somewhere near the end of the book being stoked to find out there was a sequel and that it was called The Odyssey. Lying on my bed, in this two-minute break between ending one book-length epic poem and starting another I was seized by a feeling, a strange mixture of anxiety and adrenaline.

Adrian Matejka
    Other than almost everything in Where the Sidewalk Ends, the first poem I loved was Etheridge Knight’s “Feeling Fucked Up.” I didn’t know poetry permitted cursing. More than that, it was the first time I felt like I got a poem.

Ben Lerner
    My mom taught me “The Purple Cow” when I was very little. I loved it and the tragic story of the poet who could never outrun the fame of his nonsense verse, no matter how seriously he wanted to be taken.

CAConrad
    I grew up in rural America, where everyone worked in factories and didn’t read much. As a result books, especially poetry books, were hard to come by, but Emily Dickinson was on our local library’s shelf. I fell in love with her poems, and remain in love with them. Don’t listen to any of the stories you will hear about Dickinson being a sad, wilting lily hiding in her Amherst house writing her sad poems. She was courageous! It’s simply not possible to have centuries of poetry come up to your doorstep and reject it all and write something new, and not be absolutely courageous. Emily Dickinson is my American hero.

Metta Sáma
    My dad had about a thousand pens imprinted with the last two lines of “Invictus” by the poet William Ernest Henley: “I am the master of my fate; / I am the captain of my soul.” My memory tells me that he added the phrase “By God’s grace,” but that could be a false memory, something to do with having so much of my young life in and about church. Those lines have followed me around my entire life; it was the only poetry (or snippet of poetry) we had in our house, and I both loved and hated the lines. Loved them because, of course, they inspire us to be individual, to control as much of our destiny as we can. Somehow, having the words trapped on pens, particularly those pens with the eraser tops, the heavy tip, the heavier ink, that stayed stored in my father’s drawer, made me question what, exactly, “fate” and “soul” were, for my father, for myself, for this writer whose name I did not know, but whose words my father, beyond the pens, said to us. It was the first time in my (very very young) life that I understood the true nature of words: they are stored in our blood, scratched into our bones; our taste buds are words; fingerprints, words.

Originally Published: March 11th, 2015
    Very, very interesting essay..-Tyr