Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Shooting the Tannerite in front of the cabin. We used a .300 Win Mag to do the honors.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks Jeff, LongTermGuy, BJ_WA, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Loralei thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Madison getting instructions on how to fire the AR-15 for the first time.

4. Thanks Jeff, BJ_WA, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

And my son Tanner firing the AR-15.

He really wants to shoot my .375, but even though he's a big 12 year old kid, I'm going to wait til he's about 15... that baby kicks like a mule and I can only shoot it twice before I've had enough.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

That's such great stuff, NT!

If you'd wanna learn to make your own tannerite, lemme know - I have a few successfull batches
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

7. Thanks NightTrain, BJ_WA thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    That's such great stuff, NT!

If you'd wanna learn to make your own tannerite, lemme know - I have a few successfull batches

Hell yeah! Lay it on me, Darin. That stuff is a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm flying to Bethel right now and possibly King Salmon after, so it might be a couple of days before I'm back online.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Hell yeah! Lay it on me, Darin. That stuff is a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm flying to Bethel right now and possibly King Salmon after, so it might be a couple of days before I'm back online.
    Hey - just thinking - if I mailed you some money, could you smoke a salmon and mail it back?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

10. Thanks Jeff, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the great pictures and tutorial. I've not been to Talkeetna in many years. My brother and I flew up and around the Moose's Tooth in the most incredible flight I've ever been a part of. He used to be chief pilot for K2 and fly climbers to the base camp. We were always going to go back and fish his grayling spots but it never happened. I've yet to add greying to my list of fish caught.

12. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Awesome pics!! I'm always so jealous when I see you guys off to the cabin. I'm starting to play the pick 3 and 4 again in addition to the mega millions.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

14. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Hey - just thinking - if I mailed you some money, could you smoke a salmon and mail it back?

I can mail you a jar of some smoked Salmon... we don't have any yet, but remind me in a month. And, no, money isn't necessary.

Now, about that Tannerite recipe...

16. Thanks BJ_WA thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I imagine a dumb question, but how good is salmon? What other fish would you compare it to, taste wise?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BJ_WA View Post
    Thanks for the great pictures and tutorial. I've not been to Talkeetna in many years. My brother and I flew up and around the Moose's Tooth in the most incredible flight I've ever been a part of. He used to be chief pilot for K2 and fly climbers to the base camp. We were always going to go back and fish his grayling spots but it never happened. I've yet to add greying to my list of fish caught.
    I've flown with K2 a few times, back in the day. They make bank with the tourists wanting to fly up to Denali (Mt. McKinley) and of course the hordes of climbers, especially the Japanese - it's a real cultural badge of honor in Japan to have been on that mountain, for some reason.

Funny thing about the Grayling population... we haven't seen any of them in the last few years in the Talkeetna, and there's always been a decent amount equal to the Rainbows and Dolly Varden. We were just talking about their absence last weekend and no one knows why they've disappeared. The Fairbanks area has been strict on releasing them for a few years now, so their decline isn't just a local thing.

19. Thanks BJ_WA thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I imagine a dumb question, but how good is salmon? What other fish would you compare it to, taste wise?
    I can send you some when I mail Darin some, and you can see for yourself!

I don't think there's really any other fish that tastes like it - salmon is high in oil content, the highly sought after ones (like Copper River Reds) are especially prized because they're higher in content than other runs. Not to say that it's oily, it isn't, but you really have to screw up a salmon to make it dry.

21. Thanks Kathianne, BJ_WA thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    If you like fish, you'll love salmon. Are you saying you've never had before? Really can't screw it up.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I can send you some when I mail Darin some, and you can see for yourself!

I don't think there's really any other fish that tastes like it - salmon is high in oil content, the highly sought after ones (like Copper River Reds) are especially prized because they're higher in content than other runs. Not to say that it's oily, it isn't, but you really have to screw up a salmon to make it dry.
    Surely, no doubt!! I'll try anything once, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    If you like fish, you'll love salmon. Are you saying you've never had before? Really can't screw it up.
    Never had any! I'm not a huge fish fan. I grew up loving the 'cheesewich' sandwich from Arthur Treacher's!! Lobster never impressed me, I like crab a little more, and a love shrimp cocktail!! As for fish... maybe fluke or flounder. Most of the time I prefer fish to be deep fried. My wife makes tilapia which isn't so bad.

24. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Farmed raised Atlantic salmon should be available in any super market in New York. I read, recently, where it is the salmon most chefs like to use because it's quality and price is relatively constant. With that said, you can't beat a salmon caught in Alaska or the Pac NW. I smoke cook salmon in a Weber with alder or plum for smoke and make a mustard and dill sauce for the side. I'm not much for rubs on salmon either. In the next few days I'll book a trip to Wesport for salmon and rock fish. I'm about out of the local canned tuna and need some canned (and fresh) crab, as well.

I'll do salmon on the grill tonight, take a few, pictures, and show you how I do it.

I've got a Model 700 .300 Win. Mag. my uncle gave me for college graduation. It's taken a moose but not by me. I loaned it to a friend who shot one in Alberta with it. The moose was excellent eating, too. I think I'm passed moose hunting now. :-)

My brother flew for K2 in the 90's, BTW. He may have flown you. I know he said he flew a lot of Japanese and especially Japanese news crews on the Iditarod.

I know of a river in northern B.C. that's loaded with grayling and dollies but a bit of a drive. It would be rough camping with griz and no gun.
    Last edited by BJ_WA; 07-11-2015 at 10:03 AM.

26. Thanks NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Kathianne, jimnyc thanked this post