Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Nope... none of our founders were Christians... Jeesh...

Try George Washington on for size:
    Please show where someone in this thread claimed none of our founders were Christians.
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope... none of our founders were Christians... Jeesh...
    Strawman.

Try George Washington on for size:

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.
    Thanksgiving Proclamation

[New York, 3 October 1789]

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington
    Yes, lets try <a href="http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/john_remsburg/six_historic_americans/chapter_3.html">Washington</a> on for size. In all of the above, NOT ONE MENTION OF CHRIST. Intersting omission for a Christian, certainly a serious ommission for a citation alleged to confirm Washington's Christianity--but not so interesting or serious if Washington was a Deist.<blockquote>"Washington was no infidel, if by infidel is meant unbeliever. Washington had an unquestioning faith in Providence and, as we have seen, he voiced this faith publicly on numerous occasions. That this was no mere rhetorical flourish on his part, designed for public consumption, is apparent from his constant allusions to Providence in his personal letters. There is every reason to believe, from a careful analysis of religious references in his private correspondence, that Washington’s reliance upon a Grand Designer along Deist lines was as deep-seated and meaningful for his life as, say, Ralph Waldo Emerson’s serene confidence in a Universal Spirit permeating the ever shifting appearances of the everyday world."
    --<i>Washington and Religion</i> by Paul F. Boller, Jr.</blockquote>Boller's not the only one:<blockquote>"I have diligently perused every line that Washington ever gave to the public, and I do not find one expression in which he pledges, himself as a believer in Christianity. I think anyone who will candidly do as I have done, will come to the conclusion that he was a Deist and nothing more."
    -- The Reverend Bird Wilson, an Episcopal minister in Albany, New York, in an interview with Mr. Robert Dale Owen written on November 13, 1831, which was publlshed in New York two weeks later, quoted from Franklin Steiner, <i>The Religious Beliefs of Our Presidents</i>, pp. 27</blockquote>And what did Washington think of religion and government?<blockquote>"If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution."
    --George Washington; letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789, in Anson Phelps Stokes, Church and State in the United States, Vol 1. p. 495, quoted from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, <i>The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom</i></blockquote>How about these apples?<blockquote>"I am persuaded, you will permit me to observe that the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction. To this consideration we ought to ascribe the absence of any regulation, respecting religion, from the Magna-Charta of our country."
    -- George Washington, responding to a group of clergymen who complained that the Constitution lacked mention of Jesus Christ, in 1789, Papers, Presidential Series, 4:274</blockquote>What else have you got?
    "... whenever any number of men, calling themselves a government, do anything to another man, or to his property, which they had no right to do as individuals, they thereby declare themselves trespassers, robbers, or murderers, according to the nature of their acts." - Lysander Spooner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dumbest post ever?

Pale Rider: No offense, but this was one of the dumbest posts ever made:

Well if the founding of America WASN'T rooted in Christianity, then where did all this come from?

IN GOD WE TRUST
    HISTORY OF THE MOTTO OF THE USA
    Becaue we trust in god, or believe in God, that doesn't make us a "Christian nation."

You do know there are other religions besides Christianity, right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post

Becaue we trust in god, or believe in God, that doesn't make us a "Christian nation."

Ya---Islam---When they take over everyone will be pretty appreciative of Christianity.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sure when they wrote that they were speaking of Allah and Buddah lol.

GW pull your head out of your ass and quit arguing against the unargueable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh no offense taken GW... fortunately I realize you don't know your ass from a hole in ground.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For what its worth, This country was founded with judeo-Christian values. So suck on that aclu.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    For what its worth, This country was founded with judeo-Christian values. So suck on that aclu.
    As much as the godless, Christian hating, liberal left would like to rewrite history and say it wasn't, they're just pounding sand.

America WAS founded on Christianity. Sure the founding fathers said we shouldn't write any laws condoning or protecting any religion, but THEY THEMSELVES were influenced by Christianity, because new America was itself, the vast majority, Christian. That's just the simple truth of the matter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Okay, our founding fathers were libertarian deists, hence why they made the government so small. Initially, they wanted a true republic, with no House, and no President, just the Senate and the Supreme Court. They purposely put in the first amendment separating Church & State, period. It's in the first amendment, for proof pick up ANY copy of the constitution and read, and then, while you're at it, go ahead and read the rest, it's really a good read.

Now, as to the whole christian nation thing, the argument is moot, and useless. You put up a challenge that a singer, who came around after the founding father had died off, wrote a single line in a song, and to you, that is proof that we were founded as a Christian Nation. I hate to break this to you, man, but we were founded in 1776, and recognized by England in 1783, which is just a might bit before that whole 1813 point.

Now, our most cherished principle read like this:

First Amendment – Freedom of religion, speech, press, and peaceable assembly as well as the right to petition the government.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Second Amendment – Right to keep and bear arms.
    A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Third Amendment – Protection from quartering of troops.
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
    Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Fifth Amendment – Due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, private property.
    No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
    Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and other rights of the accused.
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.
    Seventh Amendment – Civil trial by jury.
    In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
    Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail, as well as cruel and unusual punishment.
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
    Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    Tenth Amendment – Powers of states and people.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

I used the shortened version to catch the highlights, as well as to be brief about it. I have enough faith in Christ to put my cross down for the greater good. Many Christians I have seen lack such a strength of faith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Okay, our founding fathers were libertarian deists, hence .....
    Lost me here. Proof?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, america was founded as a Christain one but the consistuion of our nation was not. When america was founded we were part of the UK, like it or not so that really is not an arguement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Government is proscribed from interfering, in any manner whatever, in matters respecting religion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
    Government is proscribed from interfering, in any manner whatever, in matters respecting religion
    So, if a religious group practices the genital mutilation of pre-pubescent girls, they can do so with impunity? Or perhaps they dash the brains of babies out on the altar of their favorite deity. Is this behavior, this expression of religious faith, also protected.

Think before you post.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

America was founded on Christian values by Christians who had been persecuted for their beliefs and wanted to avoid the same thing happening...not as a Christian nation. These values can be clearly seen throughout the constitution...one of the biggest being "free will". It's funny how many American Christians want to take away basic rights of others, shouting that this nation is suppose to be a Christian one. Really? We are a theocracy? Interesting...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    America was founded on Christian values by Christians who had been persecuted for their beliefs and wanted to avoid the same thing happening...not as a Christian nation. These values can be clearly seen throughout the constitution...one of the biggest being "free will". It's funny how many American Christians want to take away basic rights of others, shouting that this nation is suppose to be a Christian one. Really? We are a theocracy? Interesting...
    You just threw a big bloody chunk of raw meat to the right wing-nuts...Or was that your intent?
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.