Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    Oh, fuck you.

This country was founded by a bunch of Deists and renegade Christians who had seen first-hand what dogmatic Christian dogma can do to wreck people's lives and they definitely were against identifying this country with any one religion.

You might argue that this is a Christian nation because most people are nominally Christian, but there is no official religion.

And most of the people who are nominally Christian couldn't give a rat's ass about going to church or practicing Christianity.
    Wow. Someone has some serious issues.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Yeah, because you're a regular angel in this department
    Thanks for the acknowledgement...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    I find your tone appalling.....and uncalled for...
    when he first came on board he was fairly polite. As it was pointed out his method of thinking is wrong and absurd he has gotten progressively vulgar.

Such is with progressives, I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Most of the institutions and laws of this country are rooted in biblical tradition, libs know this but why they deny it is a mystery.

Only complete fools continue to reject the idea that America was founded upon Christian values by hardcore Christians. Don't remember any stories of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists etc. etc. coming over on the Mayflower.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    when he first came on board he was fairly polite. As it was pointed out his method of thinking is wrong and absurd he has gotten progressively vulgar.

Such is with progressives, I guess.
    IIRC, GW said he used to be conservative. That would explain his initial manners.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    Oh, fuck you.
    Hey GW, you wanna jump in the mud with me boy? Many here are goodhearted souls and will stay above this kind of shit but not me, i'm a dirtbag........i'll shove the mud down your throat and cut off your windpipe till you slowly suffocate. Maybe its best for lightweights like you to rethink starting off a debate by telling people to fuck off.

Just a friendly warning......friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    Most of the institutions and laws of this country are rooted in biblical tradition, libs know this but why they deny it is a mystery.

Only complete fools continue to reject the idea that America was founded upon Christian values by hardcore Christians. Don't remember any stories of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists etc. etc. coming over on the Mayflower.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hey GW, you wanna jump in the mud with me boy? Many here are goodhearted souls and will stay above this kind of shit but not me, i'm a dirtbag........i'll shove the mud down your throat and cut off your windpipe till you slowly suffocate. Maybe its best for lightweights like you to rethink starting off a debate by telling people to fuck off.

Just a friendly warning......friend.

Nice to see you're back in your best form, OCA. These last two posts were gawddam priceless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOki View Post
    Not a single mention of Jesus, or Christ. I think Hagbard is right about that Deist business, moreover those who demand this Christian Nation business never manage to overcome the ratification of the Bill of Rights which clearly sets the notion that the government of this nation is not contingent upon, or subject to, any ecclesiastic doctrine what-so-ever.

I will however concede that trusting in God is more appealing to me that trusting the Federal Reserve.
    Jesus Christ and God, one and the same.

This isn't really an argument that appeals to me, but, if I were to continue, I'm fairly well convinced it would be easier to defend the position that America's founding is more deeply rooted in Christianity than anything else. Denying that is just, well, dense.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-05-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its very simple Glock, they wanted religious freedom, they did not want to be forced to join the church of England, they wanted the choice to be Catholics, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Baptists etc. etc.......however they did not include Hasidic Jews, Shiite Muslims, cow worshiping dotheads, Tibetan monks etc. etc., and by most accounts the majority of signators to the Declaration Of Independence and drafters of the Constitution were in fact hardcore Christians and stamped this fervor all over the Constitution and Bill Of Rights.

You see though we've become a nation that would rather lie in order to ride the middle of the fence rather than tell the truth about this country's roots and maybe remove the wool from a few people's eyes.

The way I look at it maybe we should move ever so slightly towards merging religion and government, what could it hurt? Can't do any worse than secularism.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nice to see you're back in your best form, OCA. These last two posts were gawddam priceless.

I'm in a testy mood today friend, high humidity does that to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm in a testy mood today friend, high humidity does that to me.
    Git yer ass out west here then. What the fuck is a cowboy like you doin' fartin' around back east there with all the sons a bitchin' city slickers and flat landers anyway?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Git yer ass out west here then. What the fuck is a cowboy like you doin' fartin' around back east there with all the sons a bitchin' city slickers and flat landers anyway?
    Hmmph!

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jesus Christ and God, one and the same.
    Setting the aside the self-contradictory notion of the Trinity, this is only true for Christians. Not for Jews, not for Muslims, and not neccessarily for Deists. If this were a nation truly founded upon Christ, then Jesus would be prominent in the founding documents--as it turns out, such notions were contemplated and then pointedly rejected to specificly avoid the assertion that this is a Christian nation.

This isn't really an argument that appeals to me, but, if I were to continue, I'm fairly well convinced it would be easier to defend the position that America's founding is more deeply rooted in Christianity than anything else.
    You wouldn't defend it so well with evidence. I wouldn't start with the Common Law arguement--Jefferson took care of that one. Nor would I go with Patrick Henry, as his attempts to make this a Christian nation were roundly blocked. The best you will come up with is certain Founders justifying their actions as being something akin to "the Christian thing to do," but you'll not find a ecclesiastially based foundation for the Government of this country--rather, since our Founders just finished fighting a country run by a government whose legitimacy was contingent upon Christianity, you'll discover that our Founders were of a majority opinion to not follow in those neccessarily oppressive footsteps.

Denying that is just, well, dense.
    Those who demand that this country was founded upon Christianity assert nothing but a back-door attempt to establish their Christianity as the national religion of the US Governement and the USA--those who insist upon such demands can't hide their intent.
    "... whenever any number of men, calling themselves a government, do anything to another man, or to his property, which they had no right to do as individuals, they thereby declare themselves trespassers, robbers, or murderers, according to the nature of their acts." - Lysander Spooner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The writer of the US Constitution, Thomas Jefferson, was as far from a "hardcore Christian" as they come. He was a scientist to the core and his religious views most closely resembled those of Deism. By the way, he wasn't the only one--nor was he the exception to the rule. The founders charged him with writing the freakin' Constitution! Here's a few quotes and a little bit of info for you to chew on, starting with this one:
    I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Richard Price, Jan. 8, 1789 (Richard Price had written to TJ on Oct. 26. about the harm done by religion and wrote "Would not Society be better without Such religions? Is Atheism less pernicious than Demonism?")
    That's straight from T.J.'s pen. Here's some more:
    http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm

*Edit* I like this one too:
    Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814
    Who's the fool sandwich man?
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 07-05-2007 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.