Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course the Founders, like all educated men of the period, were well-grounded in the Bible whether they were fervent believers or not: it was part of the general education of almost every literate person. It was an unavoidable part of their literary world. That should come as no surprise.

The 18th century Enlightenment was not an intellectual atmosphere particularly warm to literal belief in the Bible and fervent religious expression apart from Methodism, which was for a long time regarded as a lower and lower-middle-class phenomenon. Even mainstream Anglican and Episcopalian churchmen condemned what they called, in the language of their time, 'enthusiasm' in religion.

The Founders were classic men of the Enlightenment. i have my problems with the Enlightenment, but you have to see the Founders clearly, as they really were, not to make them out to be people you would prefer them to be and more in accord with your own beliefs.

2. Thanks Jeff, DragonStryk72, jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    Oh, fuck you.

This country was founded by a bunch of Deists and renegade Christians who had seen first-hand what dogmatic Christian dogma can do to wreck people's lives and they definitely were against identifying this country with any one religion.

You might argue that this is a Christian nation because most people are nominally Christian, but there is no official religion.

And most of the people who are nominally Christian couldn't give a rat's ass about going to church or practicing Christianity.

This country was founded by Christians, with a belief in Christian/Judeo beliefs and values. The layout of DC is in the shape of a cross. Our monuments are inscribed with religious mottos. Our money references God.

True, we have no official religion, but we do have freedom of religion. 80% of the country identifies themselves as Christian. When that number changes to say 80% identify themselves as
    Born Again Druids, then we'll discuss options. Until them IN GOD WE TRUST.
    bono malum superate

4. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
    This country was founded by Christians,
    Yes some of the people who founded the country were of the Christian faith, some were also Athiests, Agnostic, muslims and many other faiths. The real question is whether or not you actually believe the intent of the people who fought for the Colonies during the Revolutionary War did it with the intent of starting some Christian Government?

The layout of DC is in the shape of a cross. Our monuments are inscribed with religious mottos. Our money references God.
    Actually fun fact, George Washington initially chose the shape of Diamond for the Capital city. Which monuments are inscribed with religious mottos and what religion? I've always thought that placing 'In God We trust' on our money was more of a way of expressing our trust in Money. In capitalism, Money is God.

True, we have no official religion, but we do have freedom of religion.
    And freedom from it. What does this mean to you though?

80% of the country identifies themselves as Christian. When that number changes to say 80% identify themselves as
    Born Again Druids, then we'll discuss options. Until them IN GOD WE TRUST.
    What does it mean when you say that we are a 'Christan Nation'?

Thanks,
    Last edited by InExtremis; 10-03-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InExtremis View Post
    Yes some of the people who founded the country were of the Christian faith, some were also Athiests, Agnostic, muslims
    No Muslims helped in the founding this country that I know of. This is mostly revisionist propaganda based on the fact that Thomas Jefferson owned a Qur'an and was interested in its tenets as he was with other religions.

7. Thanks Gaffer, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

`The problem is that Liberals interpret he constitution as 'separation of church and state.'

There is no where in our Constitution that it says that. By creating a free nation, our founding fathers were stating that we were a Christian nation, but if you were not Christian, or did not want your child learning creationism in school... then you can freely start your own school, with your own money, and do what you please.

No one is stopping people from doing that and that is what our founding fathers had in mind. Liberals, well, check out 'If I wanted America to Fail' by freemarket America. Also, look at the documentary called 'Dreams From My Real Father' It's about Obama...`

`Now that Barack Obama is the official Democrat nominee his past words are coming under more scrutiny. In a June 2007 speech Obama said .........

~“Whatever we once were, we’re no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a
    Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation and a nation of nonbelievers”`~

`How much longer will God protect and bless this nation if we not only don’t act like a Christian nation, but also openly proclaim we are not a Christian nation? `

*Not a Christian nation? Here’s a sampling of quotes from just a few of the nation’s early leaders:

First Supreme Court Justice John Jay
    (served from 1789 to 1795)
    “Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the priveledge and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story
    (served from 1812 to 1845)
    “I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society. One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is a part of the Common Law. There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying its foundations.”

Supreme Court Justice David Brewer
    (server from 1890 to 1910)
    “This is a religious people. This is historically true. From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation … We find everywhere a clear recognition of the same truth … These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation.

John Quincy Adams
    (6th President of the United States)
    “The greatest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.”

9. Thanks Gaffer, PixieStix, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, DLT thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    No Muslims helped in the founding this country that I know of. This is mostly revisionist propaganda based on the fact that Thomas Jefferson owned a Qur'an and was interested in its tenets as he was with other religions.
    Hi, I know its a bit lost to history, and I can see some of the confusion with how I made that statement. However, there were many Muslim men who did indeed Serve in the First Continental Army under George Washington.

That may not constitute 'helping found this country' in your opinion, but it certainly does mine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    `The problem is that Liberals interpret he constitution as 'separation of church and state.'

There is no where in our Constitution that it says that. By creating a free nation, our founding fathers were stating that we were a Christian nation, but if you were not Christian, or did not want your child learning creationism in school... then you can freely start your own school, with your own money, and do what you please.

No one is stopping people from doing that and that is what our founding fathers had in mind. Liberals, well, check out 'If I wanted America to Fail' by freemarket America. Also, look at the documentary called 'Dreams From My Real Father' It's about Obama...`

`Now that Barack Obama is the official Democrat nominee his past words are coming under more scrutiny. In a June 2007 speech Obama said .........

~“Whatever we once were, we’re no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a
    Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation and a nation of nonbelievers”`~

`How much longer will God protect and bless this nation if we not only don’t act like a Christian nation, but also openly proclaim we are not a Christian nation? `

*Not a Christian nation? Here’s a sampling of quotes from just a few of the nation’s early leaders:

First Supreme Court Justice John Jay
    (served from 1789 to 1795)
    “Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the priveledge and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story
    (served from 1812 to 1845)
    “I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society. One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is a part of the Common Law. There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying its foundations.”

Supreme Court Justice David Brewer
    (server from 1890 to 1910)
    “This is a religious people. This is historically true. From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation … We find everywhere a clear recognition of the same truth … These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation.

John Quincy Adams
    (6th President of the United States)
    “The greatest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.”

Some of your quotes are suspect, but I do however like like this quote if it is indeed true:

"Whatever we once were, we’re no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation and a nation of nonbelievers”`~"

Thats a very good sentiment to have in this great melting pot of ours.

Thanks,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Some of your quotes are suspect, but I do however like like this quote if it is indeed true:

"Whatever we once were, we’re no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation and a nation of nonbelievers”`~"

Thats a very good sentiment to have in this great melting pot of ours.

Thanks,

Many `Americans` do not Like that quote....

`It is what it is...I find what I can....any of those quotes can be found...enjoy...

Last edited by LongTermGuy; 10-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.

13. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many `Americans` do not Like that quote....

`It is what it is...I find what I can....any of those quotes can be found...enjoy...

Hi, we can all produce quotes (supporting all sides) either real or imaginary that we would hope would somehow shed light on this controversial topic, however I like to think that that when we are honest with ourselves we understand that yes the Majority of Americans certainly identify as Christian. And to some degree yes Christian beliefs and ideals were present in the hearts and minds of the men who created our form of government. But to say that they were only of Christian faith is to to do a disservice to those same men. I like to think, that as with all intelligent people, they took elements of Christianity and elements of Natural religion and rationally decided which parts made sense and rejected those parts that did not make sense. These men for the most part believed that Jesus was a great moral philosopher, but many of them did not believe that he was a God. For instance, Thomas Jefferson did identify as a Christian, however he was quite vocal in his words and in his writings rejecting core Christian doctrine.

And then to make things more difficult, these same men would go on to update and change their beliefs as they grew older and perhaps wiser? or not. It is why the subject is so controversial, because there really is no clear and concise answer. The men who created our government were just men after all and to bestow on them some form of perfectness is perhaps asking too much. Because even if they were all Pagans or all Christians, it still doesn't actually speak one way or the other to the virtues of a Christian Religious government versus a Secular one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Hi, we can all produce quotes (supporting all sides) either real or imaginary that we would hope would somehow shed light on this controversial topic, however I like to think that that when we are honest with ourselves we understand that yes the Majority of Americans certainly identify as Christian. And to some degree yes Christian beliefs and ideals were present in the hearts and minds of the men who created our form of government. But to say that they were only of Christian faith is to to do a disservice to those same men. I like to think, that as with all intelligent people, they took elements of Christianity and elements of Natural religion and rationally decided which parts made sense and rejected those parts that did not make sense. These men for the most part believed that Jesus was a great moral philosopher, but many of them did not believe that he was a God. For instance, Thomas Jefferson did identify as a Christian, however he was quite vocal in his words and in his writings rejecting core Christian doctrine.

And then to make things more difficult, these same men would go on to update and change their beliefs as they grew older and perhaps wiser? or not. It is why the subject is so controversial, because there really is no clear and concise answer. The men who created our government were just men after all and to bestow on them some form of perfectness is perhaps asking too much. Because even if they were all Pagans or all Christians, it still doesn't actually speak one way or the other to the virtues of a Christian Religious government versus a Secular one.

`God Bless America....and give it strength to endure the cancer of Liberalism...`

16. Thanks DLT thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

`God Bless America....and give it strength to endure the cancer of Liberalism...`
    haha... I used to know these men who called themselves Monarchists, who seriously argued for a return to a Religious led Monarchy. They would have called you a liberal!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

haha... I used to know these men who called themselves Monarchists, who seriously argued for a return to a Religious led Monarchy. They would have called you a liberal!

I've been called worse..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What part of Freedom OF religion don't you understand IE? And please point me toward muslim's who served in any way during the revolutionary war. The Barbary Pirates were not on our side. There were also no Buddhists, Samurai or Hindu's serving in the Continental Army.

Jefferson kept a koran so he could study his enemy and what motivated him. Not out of any respect for the religion.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

20. Thanks PixieStix, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Yes some of the people who founded the country were of the Christian faith, some were also Athiests, Agnostic, muslims and many other faiths. The real question is whether or not you actually believe the intent of the people who fought for the Colonies during the Revolutionary War did it with the intent of starting some Christian Government?

Actually fun fact, George Washington initially chose the shape of Diamond for the Capital city. Which monuments are inscribed with religious mottos and what religion? I've always thought that placing 'In God We trust' on our money was more of a way of expressing our trust in Money. In capitalism, Money is God.

And freedom from it. What does this mean to you though?

What does it mean when you say that we are a 'Christan Nation'?

Thanks,
    Playing with words.

Western society is based on Judeo-Christianity. You can word-smith yourself all around the topic, but fact is fact. Our morals/values/laws are based on a religion. Guess it sucks to be a religion-hater.

Now, go ahead and explain how Judeo-Christian culture is inherent to homo sapiens.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

22. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Playing with words.

Western society is based on Judeo-Christianity. You can word-smith yourself all around the topic, but fact is fact. Our morals/values/laws are based on a religion. Guess it sucks to be a religion-hater.

Now, go ahead and explain how Judeo-Christian culture is inherent to homo sapiens.

Ha! I do appreciate the irony of your loaded and highly in-defensible statement. However I will not get bogged down in the swamp with you.

Thank you though!