Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Holy crap! My ass is gonna stay on the eastern coast! An earthquake is bad enough, but a tsunami scares the crap out of me!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Sounds pretty intense, would be interesting to see what level of funding is required for the 'early warning' system that is being denied.

And as an aside - it's a little embarrassing IMO that this host doesnt apparently know what a mathematical average is, or how is it applied to 'event over time'
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Sounds pretty intense, would be interesting to see what level of funding is required for the 'early warning' system that is being denied.

And as an aside - it's a little embarrassing IMO that this host doesnt apparently know what a mathematical average is, or how is it applied to 'event over time'
    I only watched like the first 4 minutes. What early warning system? Linky linky? Is such a system in place elsewhere? Cost?

Shit, I don't care the cost. If this is true, and this event is GOING to happen, sounds like an awful lot of lives can be saved, if this system is reliable in advance for earthquakes.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I only watched like the first 4 minutes. What early warning system? Linky linky? Is such a system in place elsewhere? Cost?

Shit, I don't care the cost. If this is true, and this event is GOING to happen, sounds like an awful lot of lives can be saved, if this system is reliable in advance for earthquakes.
    Its mentioned in the video that Japan use equipment to detect compression waves, that are effectively signals that are released a few minutes before the actual quake hits.
    They say in the video that funding for the system on the north east coast has so far been denied.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Its mentioned in the video that Japan use equipment to detect compression waves, that are effectively signals that are released a few minutes before the actual quake hits.
    They say in the video that funding for the system on the north east coast has so far been denied.
    I'm gonna go look on New Yorker, and take it from there. I assume there's a good reason, but with THAT many lives at stake, CAN there be a good reason?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'm gonna go look on New Yorker, and take it from there. I assume there's a good reason, but with THAT many lives at stake, CAN there be a good reason?
    I read the New Yorker piece a few days ago, very good. It seems that OR and WA don't want to spend $$ on possible problems.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here's the article the video is based off of - http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...really-big-one

I don't see the discussion of funding in that article, so now my search continues...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

If there is early warning, where would everyone go? The desert? Sounds like a logistical impossibility, except for the wealthy who can always pay to find a way out.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    If there is early warning, where would everyone go? The desert? Sounds like a logistical impossibility, except for the wealthy who can always pay to find a way out.
    Seems there would be a very tiny window, if I remember something like 20 minutes. Mind you, this would be following a devastating quake and impassable roads...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

14. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The rich can call up "The Rock" and get a helicopter ride to safety.

16. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Everyone in Texas and Louisiana runs to San Antonio. It's above the flood plain.

What we'll have is another Katrina and the left will spend more time pointing fingers than fixing the problem.

The issue is those that think for themselves will get the Hell out of Dodge. Those on the left waiting on the government to save them will probably drown. Darwin's Law.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Didn't W cause racist Katrina to swerve and hit Nawlins'?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

19. Thanks jimnyc, Gunny, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Didn't W cause racist Katrina to swerve and hit Nawlins'?
    You didn't here Kanye? He was killing black folk. Or that idiot Chavez declare we have a hurricane machine and did it on purpose?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You didn't here Kanye? He was killing black folk. Or that idiot Chavez declare we have a hurricane machine and did it on purpose?
    Oh boy, let ME get my hands on that machine.

22. Thanks Gunny, Jeff thanked this post