Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Chili Cook-Offs

Hey All! It's been years since I posted on here. I mostly just stopped by to see if everyone was still here and doing ok. This seemed the most benign way to do it. Looks like the gang is mostly still here. I'm glad to see that.

All is well here in Los Angeles. I'm still at the same church I've been at for 20 years. I'm still married to my wife of 21 years. My kids are pretty much grown. My 20 year old daughter starts Chiropractic college is September. My younger son spends his time hanging out with celebrities and people of influence around the country plus he is developing an app and has an IT business. My older son is still managing a store. I bought and sold 2-1/2 years later a vacation rental cabin in ski resort town.

While I have only entered 2 larger Chili Cook-Offs it is my plan to enter several next year. I won People's Choice at a city wide event last year. I then joined the International Chili Society and competed against approximately 16 world champions (their wins in red chili, green chili and salsa) where I scored 5 points with one judge giving me a 1st place nod and two other judges giving me 3rd place nods. It wasn't enough points to place but it did get me a round of applause from the whos-who of chili. I learned a lot and had a great time with my wife as my sous chef. Now that I know what the judges are looking for I expect to make it to the world championship next year after I win a regional event.

Any of you all compete in Chili Cook-offs?
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Thanks Jeff, Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice to meet you. I'm a new and infrequent poster here.

I did my church (new member) chili cook off last winter. I made a traditional all meat chili with a bit of fire (medium) to it. All the winners were the vegetarian (lentil) and strange white chicken & white bean versions. Mine was the only one that was completely devoured. Go figure.

Have a good one. BJ

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I dont know you Crin63....

But you like Chili and thats good enough for me......

Welcome back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks! Nice to meet you guys.

Real chili is red chili with meat. No beans, No pasta.

My chili is made with tri-tip and pork. It has a bite that sneaks up on you. It starts out almost sweet and then grows into burst of spice that has just enough bite to get your attention but doesn't hurt you.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. Thanks AllieBaba, BJ_WA, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now I want chili.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love chili. More spicy the better.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

Sun Tzu

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Hey All! It's been years since I posted on here. I mostly just stopped by to see if everyone was still here and doing ok. This seemed the most benign way to do it. Looks like the gang is mostly still here. I'm glad to see that.

All is well here in Los Angeles. I'm still at the same church I've been at for 20 years. I'm still married to my wife of 21 years. My kids are pretty much grown. My 20 year old daughter starts Chiropractic college is September. My younger son spends his time hanging out with celebrities and people of influence around the country plus he is developing an app and has an IT business. My older son is still managing a store. I bought and sold 2-1/2 years later a vacation rental cabin in ski resort town.

While I have only entered 2 larger Chili Cook-Offs it is my plan to enter several next year. I won People's Choice at a city wide event last year. I then joined the International Chili Society and competed against approximately 16 world champions (their wins in red chili, green chili and salsa) where I scored 5 points with one judge giving me a 1st place nod and two other judges giving me 3rd place nods. It wasn't enough points to place but it did get me a round of applause from the whos-who of chili. I learned a lot and had a great time with my wife as my sous chef. Now that I know what the judges are looking for I expect to make it to the world championship next year after I win a regional event.

Any of you all compete in Chili Cook-offs?
    Just wanted to say that it's good to see you, been a bit. Hope all's well!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Just wanted to say that it's good to see you, been a bit. Hope all's well!!
    Thanks Jimmy! I've been keeping up with a few of the old timers on Facebook.

Things are good. How you doing?
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Thanks Jimmy! I've been keeping up with a few of the old timers on Facebook.

Things are good. How you doing?
    Not bad at all, I guess I can't complain. Glad to hear things are good on your side too! What do we need to do to keep you from disappearing again? Maybe tie a rope?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Not bad at all, I guess I can't complain. Glad to hear things are good on your side too! What do we need to do to keep you from disappearing again? Maybe tie a rope?
    I'll look around a bit but I probably won't engage in the discussions.
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'll look around a bit but I probably won't engage in the discussions.
    I applaud you for your honesty, but not the answer I was looking for! Still damn good to see you. Take care of yourself so that hopefully we can convince you otherwise in the future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Crin Stone Mountain has a big Chili cook off every year, the first year I moved down here I went to it and man they had some of the best chili I have ever tasted and some of the worst

But it's a pretty big competition, the year I went they had the Marshall Tucker band and 38 special playing, it is a all day thing ( for most of the cooks it is a all weekend thing ) but look it up, heck maybe you can make it out this way.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

17. Thanks Kathianne, crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BJ_WA View Post
    Nice to meet you. I'm a new and infrequent poster here.

I did my church (new member) chili cook off last winter. I made a traditional all meat chili with a bit of fire (medium) to it. All the winners were the vegetarian (lentil) and strange white chicken & white bean versions. Mine was the only one that was completely devoured. Go figure.

Have a good one. BJ
    I don't care for the lentil ones either, though my roommate makes them often enough. I eat them, but just ok. I do like white chili, though I'd say it's more a soup or stew than chili.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

19. Thanks Jeff, BJ_WA, crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

All this talk about Chili...

While in NJ, I ate at Wendy's a few times. I had burgers and a chicken sandwich. Maybe I should have had some chili, but it was too hot out. Their chili is good. I say that, as I'm not a fan of chili. I hate them effing beans. I like beanless chili.

21. Thanks BJ_WA, crin63, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like beans but prefer the ranch style rather in chili.

One day I'll take a stab at chicken chili. I dunno?

23. Thanks crin63, Kathianne thanked this post