Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

So I competed against a bunch of world champions 3 weeks ago. 22 competitors total. I didn't even make it to the final table.

I cured the oily problem with my chili this time, but it was still too sweet. I cut back on the sugar significantly but still not enough. A couple said it tasted like BBQ sauce. In local competitions (not official) it's the sweet start with the following bite that people really like about it. It just doesn't work at official events.

Out of 22 competitors, and 10 judges I had 2 judges put me in 1st place. So I improved from my last time up against these people. Still not good enough but my and I have a good time competing. She loves serving the chili to everyone and talking to them.

Next competition is May 7th. I have to practice a couple more times before then.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Hope you win in May!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Hope you win in May!
    Thanks Abbey! I'm trying to get my banners and signs made. I just had my logo done.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. Thanks Abbey Marie, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I love these things.

8. Thanks crin63, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

It's all a matter of taste. You could present the same chili to several different competitions with differing results.

10. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    It's all a matter of taste. You could present the same chili to several different competitions with differing results.
    The official ICS (International Chili Society) judges go to school in Vegas for 2 weeks to learn ICS judging. They have strict judging guidelines and most judges are cooks also.
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

12. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Thanks! Nice to meet you guys.

Real chili is red chili with meat. No beans, No pasta.

My chili is made with tri-tip and pork. It has a bite that sneaks up on you. It starts out almost sweet and then grows into burst of spice that has just enough bite to get your attention but doesn't hurt you.
    U-h-h-h-h ... you call THAT chili? Disgusting. Someone needs to teach you Californians how to cook.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Ok, so I spent the last week between physical therapy and getting ready for the chili cookoff. I didn't do as well as I had hoped but the pro next to us gave us tips and great info all day. It will really step up my game. He said you can make chili you like or play the game and make chili to win. 30 minutes of setup time, hang around for 2 or 3 hours, 3 hours of cooking, an hour of hanging around waiting for results.

My wife has so much fun out there that she wants to do a green chili in competition. We will need a 3rd person to do that.

My booth is still a work in progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. Thanks jimnyc, Kathianne, indago thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    U-h-h-h-h ... you call THAT chili? Disgusting. Someone needs to teach you Californians how to cook.

That's Texas chili Gunny! All the rules are from Texas chili.
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Ok, so I spent the last week between physical therapy and getting ready for the chili cookoff. I didn't do as well as I had hoped but the pro next to us gave us tips and great info all day. It will really step up my game. He said you can make chili you like or play the game and make chili to win. 30 minutes of setup time, hang around for 2 or 3 hours, 3 hours of cooking, an hour of hanging around waiting for results.

My wife has so much fun out there that she wants to do a green chili in competition. We will need a 3rd person to do that.

My booth is still a work in progress.
    Now I know where your avatar came from! I thought you were just a fan of some unknown hot sauce.

19. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Now I know where your avatar came from! I thought you were just a fan of some unknown hot sauce.

Yeah, it's $25 logo from fiverr. 2nd draft. 1st one the 2 chilis were so close to each other that their elbows overlapped and ended up looking like they were holding each other by the crotch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

So I made chili on Saturday for a birthday party. Worked out some of the bugs in the tips I got from another competitor. It had 1 tablespoon too much chili powder and needed just a bit more salt and jalapeno. Other than that I was ready for the next cook-off until I made chili today.

I made eatin' chili today for my doctor and her office. I played around with the recipe a bit more and tried a couple more new things. This was my best pot chili yet for eatin' chili. My wife thought it was too spicy (gave her hiccups) but everyone else thought it was just about right.

Between the 2 batches of chili, I'm ready to go compete but it probably won't be until October now and that's the beginning of the next season.
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

22. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

There's a sort of delicatessen in town that has various ghost pepper salsas for sampling (along with over 100 other sauces), they have little pretzels and corn chips, it even has a big warning signs about the heat. Still, the paramedics get called all the time, because someone eats too much and thinks they're having a heart attack. I've seen guys try to act cool with their friends, laughingly they take a huge scoop, then keel over. That ghost pepper salsa, a dew drop size of it will burn your tongue for an hour.

I want to be one of those official chili and BBQ tasters.

24. Thanks crin63 thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GravyBoat View Post
    There's a sort of delicatessen in town that has various ghost pepper salsas for sampling (along with over 100 other sauces), they have little pretzels and corn chips, it even has a big warning signs about the heat. Still, the paramedics get called all the time, because someone eats too much and thinks they're having a heart attack. I've seen guys try to act cool with their friends, laughingly they take a huge scoop, then keel over. That ghost pepper salsa, a dew drop size of it will burn your tongue for an hour.

I want to be one of those official chili and BBQ tasters.
    I love spicy food. But if you can't feel your tongue after the first bite, I don't see the point. I like to taste the rest of the plate and got nothing to prove. This whole ghost pepper think is just crap to me. Maybe back in my 20s. I live in the SW. I can get any of that stuff.

I'd prefer to not dance around for half an hour acting like an idiot. And I've seen more than a few do it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

26. Thanks crin63, GravyBoat thanked this post