Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Default Windows 10 upgrade shenanigans

I signed up a while back for the upgrade, and finally last night it tried to execute - and failed.

The message I got this morning was that my Nvidia GeForce 965M didn't have the compatible Win10 drivers. So I went to Nvidia and verified that I had the latest Win10 compatible driver. Manually tried to install the Win10 driver again, but got an error message saying it doesn't work with Win 8.1.... so I have it, and it's working, but it's not compatible. WTF?

Catch 22! Can't upgrade windows because 10 doesn't like 8.1's graphic driver. Can't upgrade driver because I don't have Win10.

Also, there was a cute little message under the 'Failed' report with a link to buy a new computer, when I just bought this damn thing.

Finally, I manually checked the normal Windows Update site where you get your patches and there it was. Gave it a click and it flawlessly upgraded my machine to Win10, which took about 30 - 40 minutes or so.

Anyway, I guess the message here is to manually start the process if you have issues, because the automatic upgrade has some very confusing conflicting messaging and bugs.

Also, at the end of the install there was an option to choose either Express Setup or Custom Setup. I'm generally suspicious of any kind of Express installation options, and I'm glad I checked. Microsoft wants to get reports of your browsing history, and of course wants to set defaults to receiving a bunch of information about you that they use and also to their mysterious 3rd Party Partners. I opted out of all of that, and I recommend that everyone else that cares about their privacy does, too. Naturally, they also wanted to install their new browser to the default browser and I changed that to Chrome.

It's running great, and there is a noticeable improvement in performance. I still need to customize a few things, but so far so good! I like it much better than 8.1.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

2. Thanks jimnyc, Perianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Drummond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

WHat's the major differences, my guinea pig friend?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    No shit. Let him screw up HIS computer. Then we can figure out why it doesn't work.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Thanks Max R., Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    No shit. Let him screw up HIS computer. Then we can figure out why it doesn't work.
    I always got advance copies of all the various OS's, because of the places I worked and the licenses with Microsoft. But hell, I always had spare machines I could simply just format if I didn't like!

I have some spare HDD's now, and would maybe have a machine I can go back and forth with, by swapping drives. But then I would need to install 7, then do the upgrade? Rick, can I just get the full version, or does it need to be an upgrade? For free I mean, I ain't paying to be a guinea pig!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I always got advance copies of all the various OS's, because of the places I worked and the licenses with Microsoft. But hell, I always had spare machines I could simply just format if I didn't like!

I have some spare HDD's now, and would maybe have a machine I can go back and forth with, by swapping drives. But then I would need to install 7, then do the upgrade? Rick, can I just get the full version, or does it need to be an upgrade? For free I mean, I ain't paying to be a guinea pig!
    I don't even like 7. 5 was the best. They keep trying to make something better that doesn't need it. I got an offer for 10. Got a droid for a phone too. Was up to me I'd have a flip still.

They're just selling stuff.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I don't even like 7. 5 was the best. They keep trying to make something better that doesn't need it. I got an offer for 10. Got a droid for a phone too. Was up to me I'd have a flip still.

They're just selling stuff.
    I still have Windows 3.1 on diskette if you would like it? I also have an old copy of 95. and an original NT (not that NT). I have DOS somewhere too, still more reliable than any OS yet!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Speed, for sure. I read somewhere that Win10 utilizes your processing power more efficiently.. and that rings true so far. Haven't loaded up any games yet, but I'm about to do that.

Just started delving into Cortana, I'll see how useful the Windows version of Siri is.

Bah! I'm actually pretty good at working on computers.

But if you see me suddenly crying and posting on my phone here, you'll know what happened.

10. Thanks jimnyc, Jeff, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yeah, gotta be an upgrade from Win7 or 8.1.

Took 6 days longer to get the install to begin than Balu did, I'm not sure if they're sorting the waves by Timezone (in which case I'm the last one on the planet) and he would be in one of the first ones... or if they're sorting it by when you accepted the offer to upgrade.

I think you'll like it. I'll take a few screenies and post some of the differences.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Speed, for sure. I read somewhere that Win10 utilizes your processing power more efficiently.. and that rings true so far. Haven't loaded up any games yet, but I'm about to do that.

Just started delving into Cortana, I'll see how useful the Windows version of Siri is.

Bah! I'm actually pretty good at working on computers.

But if you see me suddenly crying and posting on my phone here, you'll know what happened.
    So am I. Why I'm letting YOU do this. When you get back online in 6 months feel free to tell us what happened.

13. Thanks NightTrain, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

One bug that I noticed in 8.1 is that automatically checking for windows updates only executed some of the time - you'd arrive at the Windows Update screen and it said it already checked and there's nothing there, but if you hit the button to go look for updates, there would be several waiting.

That same bug appears to have carried over to Win10, I just found two updates after being told there was nothing there, but there they are after telling it to go look.

15. Thanks Gunny, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I still have Windows 3.1 on diskette if you would like it? I also have an old copy of 95. and an original NT (not that NT). I have DOS somewhere too, still more reliable than any OS yet!!
    FWIW ... backtracking to old computer systems is never a good idea, IF you intend to use them for online work. It gets ever harder to find anti-virus or firewall programs for the older ones that get current updating support.

My old workplace relied on NT ... but had to abandon it for that very reason.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    FWIW ... backtracking to old computer systems is never a good idea, IF you intend to use them for online work. It gets ever harder to find anti-virus or firewall programs for the older ones that get current updating support.

My old workplace relied on NT ... but had to abandon it for that very reason.
    ?

I can backtrack to 5.7" floppies that would hold about 3 pages. The Daisy Displaywriter anyone?

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

?

I can backtrack to 5.7" floppies that would hold about 3 pages. The Daisy Displaywriter anyone?
    Don't use old systems to connect online, and you'll be OK, for as long as they last out. Use an unsupported older system online, however, and security updates to guard against attack won't guard against the latest attack-programs, leaving your computer open to access by viruses, trojans, and the like.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-serv...-life-planning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Cortana is garbage. It'll probably get a lot more useful as Planet Earth beta tests it for Microsoft, but at this point it's useless and can't understand me, even though I don't have any kind of an accent. Jim is fucked.

I said, "Control Panel" and it popped up Microsoft Edge and searched for "metro vegetable"... I don't even know wtf that is. Maybe a mentally challenged hipster? And it used Bing to search for it.

Going to disable that feature until it becomes useful... I'd hate for my search history to show the results for when I drop a MF'r bomb.

Another bug that they fixed for this machine is the 'Automatic Maintenance' feature in 8.1. It would run all the time, and I could see the disk activity light working all the time. This isn't a Solid State Hard Drive, so that kind of constant activity will wear it out much faster than normal. I had to turn it off a couple times a day. Win10 fixed that, so there's another positive for it, although that was probably something specific to 8.1 and this laptop model & build.

21. Thanks Drummond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Cortana is garbage. It'll probably get a lot more useful as Planet Earth beta tests it for Microsoft, but at this point it's useless and can't understand me, even though I don't have any kind of an accent. Jim is fucked.

I said, "Control Panel" and it popped up Microsoft Edge and searched for "metro vegetable"... I don't even know wtf that is. Maybe a mentally challenged hipster? And it used Bing to search for it.

Going to disable that feature until it becomes useful... I'd hate for my search history to show the results for when I drop a MF'r bomb.

Another bug that they fixed for this machine is the 'Automatic Maintenance' feature in 8.1. It would run all the time, and I could see the disk activity light working all the time. This isn't a Solid State Hard Drive, so that kind of constant activity will wear it out much faster than normal. I had to turn it off a couple times a day. Win10 fixed that, so there's another positive for it, although that was probably something specific to 8.1 and this laptop model & build.
    Cortana .. that's the program that talks back to you, isn't it ?

I've seen adverts about it on those ads which are trying to sell mobile phones. I was struck (never more so than now) by the fact that the Cortana we have here, speaks to its user in a British accent.

Now ... does yours (or did it) ? If 'YES' ... maybe what you really need to do is speak back to it in a British accent ??

23. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post