Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I want my downloaded files to land on my desktop. Thus far, my searches lead me to believe I need to edit the registry in order to make changes to this download folder? I can do that easily enough, but sucks if they expect the everyday user to do so. Just a preference of mine to place them there. Outta sight and outta mind for me!

No need to play with your registry. Just go to settings on your browser and select where you want your downloads to go. In Chrome, open settings, at the bottom click 'Advanced Settings' and it's right there.

I like my files to go to the desktop as well... I've never liked opening folders to go look for something I just downloaded.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    No need to play with your registry. Just go to settings on your browser and select where you want your downloads to go. In Chrome, open settings, at the bottom click 'Advanced Settings' and it's right there.

I like my files to go to the desktop as well... I've never liked opening folders to go look for something I just downloaded.
    In Edge too? I should have clarified that's what I was using. Let me go take a peek where you are saying...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok, not changeable within the browser, needs to be done through file explorer (just for Edge)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...-location-edge
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Ok, not changeable within the browser, needs to be done through file explorer (just for Edge)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...-location-edge

That's really weird, you're right. Edge doesn't have that option. Looks like they really dumbed it down for the masses, there's hardly any settings in Edge.

May I suggest Chrome, my resistant roadie?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's really weird, you're right. Edge doesn't have that option. Looks like they really dumbed it down for the masses, there's hardly any settings in Edge.

May I suggest Chrome, my resistant roadie?
    I just installed FF on that machine and need to test for awhile and see if the hiccups in speed happen in Windows 10 or not too. I would prefer FF. I have Chrome on there as well And yep, Edge doesn't have a lot of settings. Seems they did exactly that, dumbed it down so no issues with the average user.

Gonna take more than that to move me to Chrome full time! Same as Yahoo being my "home" page for like 15 years now! LOL

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Gonna take more than that to move me to Chrome full time! Same as Yahoo being my "home" page for like 15 years now! LOL

Yahoo as your homepage?

I'm dispatching Jeff to your house to confiscate your Man Card.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I still have Windows 3.1 on diskette if you would like it? I also have an old copy of 95. and an original NT (not that NT). I have DOS somewhere too, still more reliable than any OS yet!!
    Hey, I liked windows 95. You can keep the floppies though. I remember the 7" ones you could get about two pages on.

Look at it this way, the only thing I do on my PC is post on this board, Google info, e-mail my daughter, and screw around with the programs to see what makes them tick.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yep, the upgrade was smooth as silk and it's been completely solid. No errors, no lost files, everything works fine. They did a good job with this one.

All works well, with the exception of Nvidia scrambling to kick out drivers... they claimed they were "Windows 10 ready" but that clearly wasn't the case. I had 3 Nvidia updates in one day last week... I think there's some engineers that got their asses kicked for dropping the ball there.
    This is not good news since my graphics is Nvidia. Think I'll refrain from upgrading from Win 7 and just buy a new pc with Win 10 (I'm still chicken).
    Last edited by DLT; 09-28-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    This is not good news since my graphics is Nvidia. Think I'll refrain from upgrading from Win 7 and just buy a new pc with Win 10 (I'm still chicken).

Nvidia just came out with another patch about a week ago, and it appears that they finally addressed the graphic card bugs. I haven't had any glitches since then and my GTX 965 M card is working beautifully.

On another note, it looks like I missed a step in the Cortana voice-command function - there's a step where Cortana asks you to read 5 sentences so it can get a handle on how you pronounce things. I did it yesterday and tested it out, and it works.

I said, "Hey, Cortana." and it acknowledged me by giving a little chime sound, that it was waiting for a command.

"Open Control Panel."

Cortana responded with : "Okay, opening Control Panel." and it did.

Very handy! Now you don't even have to stop and navigate to your different areas - you can still be doing other things and have Cortana get things ready for you to jump right in to when you're ready.

I tested it out with other areas as well - it opened Network Settings for me on command, but wouldn't disconnect me from the internet when I told it to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I just wish they'd quit changing shit. Just leave the shit alone if it works. I'm not going for a hostile corporate takeover. I post on a message board and listen to youtube.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I just wish they'd quit changing shit. Just leave the shit alone if it works. I'm not going for a hostile corporate takeover. I post on a message board and listen to youtube.

Careful - your Grandpa slip is showing!

I know what you mean and sometimes feel the same way, but when it comes to Operating Systems and new technology, I'm all for changing things up and moving forward (within reason, Win8 was wayyyy over the top with the start screen BS)... newer, faster, better are good things. Microsoft would be dead and buried long ago if they stuck with that God-Awful Win95 or Vista.

From Win10, I suspect it'll be seamless upgrades from here on out, if it goes according to plan. And it's close enough to Win7 that users upgrading won't be lost in the transition.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Careful - your Grandpa slip is showing!

I know what you mean and sometimes feel the same way, but when it comes to Operating Systems and new technology, I'm all for changing things up and moving forward (within reason, Win8 was wayyyy over the top with the start screen BS)... newer, faster, better are good things. Microsoft would be dead and buried long ago if they stuck with that God-Awful Win95 or Vista.

From Win10, I suspect it'll be seamless upgrades from here on out, if it goes according to plan. And it's close enough to Win7 that users upgrading won't be lost in the transition.
    My grandpa slip is all over this board.

15. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post