Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default To my lover and my best friend....

I suspect the worst type of an intimate relationship is the type built on friendship; the type where the man and woman start out as BFF's then somehow evolve into intimacy/romance and all that. Friendship-based relationships seem more likely to devolve back into a friendship-based relationship - you've seen the type - where the husband and wife live as, essentially, roommates and pals with almost no real, deep connection. When a relationship starts out as merely friendship, I suspect in times of stress folks revert back to the baseline - friendship. I believe in times of stress - that's when intimacy, closeness, and all that is most-vital towards sustaining a couple. I'm still developing this thought, but that's what I think I think for now. Imagine breaking up with your spouse, and now you have no BFF with whom to counsel or talk or heal. Seems like insult added to injury. Further, might keep people in bad relationships because they may not have feelings for their mate, but they generally like their mate, as a person.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Thanks jimnyc, Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Perianne thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

further - I believe it's easier to build a friendship than to create feelings of intimacy, desire, love and what-not. Said another way, I can learn to like the specific areas I may not-yet know after initial attraction much easier and more-completely than learn to see somebody as attractive or develop attraction that wasn't there initially. Still thinking through this...
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

4. Thanks jimnyc, Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I have been thinking those very thoughts for many months now.

After my husband died my best guy friend was a shoulder to cry on. He had been my buddy for years and years, seeing me go through things that others had not. A few months later he wanted to take it to another level, and I went along for the ride. We got along so well that we decided to marry.

The marriage did not work out well. He left early this year to take a job in another city about four hours away. He told me in June that he was going to file for divorce. In the meantime I have met someone else and am head over heels.

About ten days ago my husband changed his mind and moved back to Lexington, wanting to give our marriage another chance. I like that he is back, but I want him to be my old best guy friend. What to do???

This sounds like something from an Ann Landers column. Geez.
    Last edited by Perianne; 08-18-2015 at 06:10 AM.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post

After my husband died my best guy friend was a shoulder to cry on. He had been my buddy for years and years, seeing me go through things that others had not. A few months later he wanted to take it to another level, and I went along for the ride. We got along so well that we decided to marry.

The marriage did not work out well. He left early this year to take a job in another city about four hours away. He told me in June that he was going to file for divorce. In the mean time I have met someone else and am head over heels.

About ten days ago my husband changed his mind and moved back to Lexington, wanting to give our marriage another chance. I like that he is back, but I want him to be my old best guy friend. What to do???

Playing Ann Landers:

If you're 'head over heels' in love with someone else, his hope for another chance is non-starting. As for wanting him to be 'old best friend?' "You can't always get what you want, but get what you need."

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Perianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The marriage did not work out well. He left early this year to take a job in another city about four hours away. He told me in June that he was going to file for divorce. In the mean time I have met someone else and am head over heels.

You're gonna need a bigger bed...

10. Thanks Perianne, darin, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    You're gonna need a bigger bed...
    lol

12. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

What you do, Perianne, is whatever gives you the best chance for maximum happiness. It's that simple.

Your husband can't be so great a prospect, if he's been playing a 'will I, won't I' game over divorcing you ... and you say you're 'head over heels' over someone else ?

Just follow your heart, that's what I'd say.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

14. Thanks Perianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post