Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Firefox 40.0

I was prompted to upgrade the browser the day before last. Ever since, it's been eating my memory like it was an oreo cookie. Sometimes as I type, the letters show up a few seconds later. Things hang. If I restart the browser it goes back to normal, but after like 10 minutes it starts up again. I refuse to use IE. I don't like Chrome, but am leaning more and more towards giving it another shot (and letting Google learn even more about my life).

Anyone else using FF? Anyone else upgrade, using 40.0?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I was prompted to upgrade the browser the day before last. Ever since, it's been eating my memory like it was an oreo cookie. Sometimes as I type, the letters show up a few seconds later. Things hang. If I restart the browser it goes back to normal, but after like 10 minutes it starts up again. I refuse to use IE. I don't like Chrome, but am leaning more and more towards giving it another shot (and letting Google learn even more about my life).

Have you got an app that shows which app is using how much space in your computer?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Jim, I use Firefox 40 and have to turn off Flash. I find Flash is the problem.

Also, at work I use Chrome. I like it, too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post

I have Firefox, but an old version of it. I haven't attempted to use it in ages, as I've always found Firefox to be heavy on memory. It's in the nature of that particular browser's setup. I can only imagine how demanding the latest version is !

Google Chrome, Opera .. they tend to be light on memory. Chrome is my browser of choice, and I almost always use it on here. There's also Comodo Dragon, a browser that looks very much like Chrome, with most of its resources. It's hard to tell them apart, in fact, when you use them normally.

A pity about Flock .. a good browser, but old. I have it loaded and have used it occasionally here, the last time several weeks ago. Pity it ceased to be supported since 2011.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indago View Post
    Have you got an app that shows which app is using how much space in your computer?
    But of course, but of course! I use 2, but even task manager is enough to see that the new version of FF is going up and down with CPU usage, and of course it lines up with the memory usage fluctuating.

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post

I use Flashblock and pretty much don't ever see flash unless I click a button and allow it. Flash will be gone within a year, IMO, hopefully. And while I do like Chrome, them Google bastards are modern day spies! Bad enough, if I go to any search engine and do a search for, headphones for example - the rest of the day I am hit with ads for headphones, on every other site I visit!! I know I can get around this, I just don't really care, until it messes with my speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I have Firefox, but an old version of it. I haven't attempted to use it in ages, as I've always found Firefox to be heavy on memory. It's in the nature of that particular browser's setup. I can only imagine how demanding the latest version is !

Google Chrome, Opera .. they tend to be light on memory. Chrome is my browser of choice, and I almost always use it on here. There's also Comodo Dragon, a browser that looks very much like Chrome, with most of its resources. It's hard to tell them apart, in fact, when you use them normally.

A pity about Flock .. a good browser, but old. I have it loaded and have used it occasionally here, the last time several weeks ago. Pity it ceased to be supported since 2011.
    It's a rock, and a hard place. Others have lighter footprints, but then offer less, IMO. I used to love Opera as it was the lightest of all, but haven't tried it in quite a few years. Maybe I'll try that and give it a whirl again!

You use Chrome consistently - they are likely watching you right now, taking pictures, watching what you eat and what TV stations you watch! LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Running FF 40.0.2

I do ctl-alt-del and leave the task manager running. At times, FF jumps between 25-50% CPU usage. It will also go anywhere from 500k - 900k of memory. Prior to reaching the 40.x series it would never go above 10% cpu, and over 200k of memory was a lot. Definitely acting weird since the upgrade and making my machine jumpy. Damn FF.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Zomg just switch to Chrome already!

I'm thinking maybe your FF is inefficiently using prediction service to help you type? Did you try turning that off?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Zomg just switch to Chrome already!

I'm thinking maybe your FF is inefficiently using prediction service to help you type? Did you try turning that off?
    Yeah, plus this issue never existed until like last week. Also, it happens while just browsing around. I can go to like CNN for example, and look at my task manager rising to say 800k as I hit through various pages. If I just leave it like that, I can slowly watch the memory go back down. Something they did appears to be eating the memory and taking too long to relinquish it.

And I refuse to give up! I can't walk away from a problem! LOL I think it's probably an add-on with latest version. Been playing with Win 10. Now I have to mess around with this machine and try to figure out which addon is causing this, one by one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Check this out, you should be able to isolate your memory hog :

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/08/wha...o-much-memory/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Check this out, you should be able to isolate your memory hog :

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/08/wha...o-much-memory/
    I think I got it, I think I got it!!

FBP - Facebook Purity

It's an add-on that basically removes advertising and other crap while you're on Facebook. I was already doing what you posted. Between apps that help, and one by one, it can be a royal pain in the ass to figure out bad add-ons.

Thus far it's been back to normal for 10 minutes or so. And normally I would reboot FF and couldn't go more than a minute or so before it started being bogged down. So I'm confident that was it. Sucks though, I kinda like that addon, and now I'll have to see junk and other crap on FB!! Better than a slow machine though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Turns out that it wasn't FBP. Then I thought I had it again, this time with the Adblock Plus add on. That addon is weird, as it's a KNOWN issue that it eats memory. So an add-on that is made to get rid of things for you, ends up causing memory issues. But even if I remove it, in addition to seeing all of the crap, it doesn't really fix the issue.

So now I have IE of course, which I pretty much never use. I have Chrome back again, and of course FF. Hell, Chrome ain't much better in the memory department. As soon as I launch it, task manager shows like 7 instances of "chrome.exe" running and each one with a substantial amount of memory used. Nothing noticeable to most...

But IE and Chrome don't even come close to allowing all of the add-ons and flexibility that FF does.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yeah, I'll have several instances of Chrome running in task manager, but it doesn't really eat up that much RAM - certainly nothing like you're describing.

Right now I've got 5 instances of Chrome running for a total of 160 megs of RAM... which is nothing. I'd start getting concerned with it if it was burning a gig or more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yeah, I'll have several instances of Chrome running in task manager, but it doesn't really eat up that much RAM - certainly nothing like you're describing.

Right now I've got 5 instances of Chrome running for a total of 160 megs of RAM... which is nothing. I'd start getting concerned with it if it was burning a gig or more.
    It's got 6 instances running for me right now, like 180 ram total. FF has one instance, and it fluctuates mostly between 140-800 (standard is usually 140-300). And when the ram increases, I get spurts of CPU increasing too. This causes little hiccups that annoy me and slow me down. I hate scrolling down a page and then it just stops, and then catches up with itself a second later. This didn't happen til version 40.0. They're quiet now, but hopefully this will be sorted with the next release. And flash sucks too, I can't wait till that disappears. I have it blocked anyway, but still annoys me.