Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Peter was considerate enough to send me this early this morn..

In that but not shown are the starting lyrics and musical score dealing with the first verse written in my poem,
    under the bold heading,
    A Vast And Exploding Night Sky, by Robert Jasper Lindley, American Poet.

Naturally, I deleted the musical score and lyrics as its a work in progress and the musical score is not to be displayed prematurely or where others could steal it from him.
    I after finding so many of my poems stolen and used without my permission am acutely aware of that happening often and just how it feels. -Tyr

Very cool that all this is happening. And nice to see it is someone with integrity.

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Very cool that all this is happening. And nice to see it is someone with integrity.
    Thanks.
    Yes, the man has integrity and is quite forthright in how he conducts his business. He has now sent me 6 emails since we started discussing this .
    Each one was both professionally presented and most kind and expressed his appreciation for my giving my permission.
    Also he has honored each of the three requests I've made!--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I just found this today, more recent information on famous composer, Peter Klatzow.....--Tyr

Composer Peter Klatzow chosen for 2015 JIMF
    Nov 25, 2014 • by In-house team • •

Cape Town-based composer Peter Klatzow is the Composer-in-Residence for the 2015 Johannesburg International Mozart Festival (JIMF) from 27 January to 8 February. Each year a South African composer is commissioned by JIMF to create a new piece of work for premiere at the Festival. Adding to this, the composer gives their expertise to the programme and world-renowned Peter Klatzow is JIMF’s 2015 choice.

Peter Klatzow, JIMF 2015 Composer in Residence
    Peter Klatzow, JIMF 2015 Composer in Residence
    Klatzow studied composition at the Royal College of Music in London, under the guidance of Bernard Stevens; piano with Kathleen Long; and orchestration with Gordon Jacob. Winning a number of awards at the College, as well as the esteemed Royal Philharmonic Award for Composition, he went on to study with Nadia Boulanger in Italy and France.

From there, Klatzow returned to South Africa to work as a music producer for the SABC before being appointed Director of the College of Music and Professor in Composition at the University of Cape Town.

Apart from winning numerous awards, both locally and abroad, Klatzow’s achievements extend to composing works for Hamlet, a full length ballet, scores for Drie Diere and Vier Gebede, both ballets, as well as concertos for various instruments including the piano, clarinet, organ, marimba, and a double concerto for flute and marimba which was performed for Yale University in America.

His musical ability extends to the visual art world where he was commissioned to write The World of Paul Klee (III), composed for the opening of the new Paul Klee Centre in Berne, Switzerland. Klatzow also composed music for Towards the Light - a work for double choir, marimba and organ commissioned for the opening of the new Peabody Concert Hall in America.

Locally, Klatzow was enlisted to compose works for a celebratory Te Deum for choir, organ and orchestra which were commissioned for a special service celebrating the 100th anniversary of St George's Cathedral in Cape Town. He composed a short opera for The University of Cape Town for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the South African College of Music (SACM) and went on to work with the South African Music Rights Organisation (SAMRO). Klatzow composed a setting of Thabo Mbeki’s speech “I am an African” to use in the International Vocal Scholarship Competition in September 2011. That same year he attended a major festival of his marimba works in Tokyo, where he also lectured and gave masterclasses at the Tokyo Music School.

His discography includes an impressive variety of recordings such as piano music, and works for marimba and strings to name a few. Klatzow also recorded a CD of his choral music entitled Towards the Light – the choral music of Peter Klatzow. His Marimba Concerto has been reissued in a new recording made by Markus Leoson and was published by the Swedish label NOSAG in 2006, further, releasing Myths, Magic and Marimbas – the music of Peter Klatzow in the same year.

In 2011 the South African Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns awarded him the Huberte Rupert Music Prize for his lifetime work. Klatzow attended a major international event, Peter Klatzow in the City, which was held in Rotterdam for one week and featured his music for marimba. There were three performances of his concerto for flute, marimba and strings with Tatiana Koleva and Eleonore Palmeijr and they premiered his new work Night Sky with Illuminations - commissioned by the Eduard von Beinum Foundation in Rotterdam.

“To compose music is to isolate yourself completely and to immerse yourself in a sea of imagined sounds. It is a solitary process in which the composer (usually with great difficulty) extracts from his/her imagination a structure which has not only beauty, but a pleasing form, thematic integrity and technical skill. If any of these are missing the work is structurally deficient. But in the making of this new work the composer must also take into account the role that the performer has to play. A work which fails to integrate the performers' contribution will never find its mark with receptive audiences,” says Klatzow when reflecting on his career as a prolific composer.

Being a Professor Emeritus at the University of Cape Town Klatzow was recently awarded the Helgaard Steyn prize for his work Lightscapes which was commissioned for The World Marimba Festival in Stuttgart in 2012.

“Peter Klatzow is not only one of the most eminent composers South Africa has produced, but the JIMF 2015 will also see him in his role as educator. As a Professor of Composition at the University of Cape Town he has trained generations of young South African composition talents and he is assuming this role once again as part of a collaboration with the Goethe Institut.” says Florian Uhlig, Artistic Director of the Festival.

In 2015 audiences can look forward to performances by the legendary flautist Sir James Galway who will appear as soloist with the Zurich Chamber Orchestra and two appearances by the distinguished pianist Melvyn Tan, among a wide range of artists as well as diverse performances, masterclasses and workshops presented by both local and international musicians.

Other highlights for the 2015 programme include the vocal scholarship scheme with the Musikhochschule Cologne in Germany; a choral workshop with Prof. Ekkehard Klemm- internationally renowned conductor, choir director and principal of the Musikhochschule Dresden; and the annual collaboration with the Goethe Institut in Johannesburg, this year featuring an interdisciplinary collaboration between photographer Lebohang Kganye and three young composers, coached by Peter Klatzow, who will produce newly commissioned works.

The annual ‘Orchestra from Scratch’ encourages music aficionados to take part in the JIMF 2015 programme. Open to anyone who can play a musical instrument (minimum of Grade 3); participation should be arranged through contacting the JIMF office on (011) 447 9264.

Full details of the programme for the 7th Johannesburg International Mozart Festival (JIMF) are available on the Festival’s website. Please contact 011 447 9264 or visit www.join-mozart-festival.org for more information, and “like” the Johannesburg International Mozart Festival page on Facebook for regular updates on Festival happenings.

Web site: http://www.join-mozart-festival.org

Related Event: Johannesburg International Mozart Festival
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

When I Slumber Where Rushing Waters Play

As my worries invade my tortured mind
    I wake to find another place to be
    Misery and despair both so unkind
    sending me racing to be gone and free

I run to the nearest water flowing
    soothing sounds blast into inner spirit
    Even better if soft breeze a blowing
    comfort abounds whenever I hear it

Soft waves of time ebb and begin to stop
    gurgling sounds grab onto wings of my soul
    All my loves racing upward to the top
    like waters rushing out of gaping hole

Man's spirit latches on to such great gifts
    Racing waters sends treasure that uplifts

Robert J. Lindley, 04-06-2015

---------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------
    Got this in my email this fine morn. Sonnet, When I Slumber Where Rushing Waters Play
    This poem has now been accepted for publication at Whispers.com.
    in November 2015.
    Also she relayed to me in that email, the other poems(4) submitted for consideration were great(very publishable) but alas, they all exceeded the 20 line limit at Whispers.com....
    Sonnets and short poems only are now on the menu at that on-line publishing journal. --Tyr

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I did. Called my buddy last night that is a lawyer, we discussed it and I decided to agree with no charge but he must cite me clearly as author of the lyrics. Sent that message. Have had no reply yet.
    Thanks for the advice my friend.... --Tyr
    Also.. see if you can be in attendance at the premier so your work can be acknowledged publicly. He is internationally famous and this should be no problem...
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    Also.. see if you can be in attendance at the premier so your work can be acknowledged publicly. He is internationally famous and this should be no problem...
    Thanks my friend!!!

Great idea, if I can swing the time and the money to travel to Capetown, South Africa ,
    which is the most likely venue for Peter to present his newest works!
    However, with his fame he may be able too present it anywhere IMHO.
    London, Paris--or even USA!!
    If in the USA, I can swing it easily methinks..-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Got an email today from noted composer Peter Klatzow that my poem- "The Vast And Exploding Night Sky"- has been written into a song complete with musical score .
    He finished it last night along with its companion poem/song by Lord Byron , both finished.
    As he presented both side by side , it looked like I was in a way answering Lord Byron's great poem--"She Walks In Beauty"..
    Yet I simply wrote down the thoughts that I once had looking up at the night sky long ago!

She Walks In Beauty .................................................. ......A Vast And Exploding Night Sky

She walks in beauty, like the night
    Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
    And all that's best of dark and bright
    Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
    Thus mellowed to that tender light
    Which heaven to gaudy day denies
    One shade the more, one ray the less,
    Had half impaired the nameless grace
    Which waves in every raven tress,
    Or softly lightens o'er her face;
    Where thoughts serenely sweet express
    How pure, how dear their dwelling place
    And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
    So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
    The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
    But tell of days in goodness spent,
    A mind at peace with all below,
    A heart whose love is innocent!
    Lord Byron

A Vast And Exploding Night Sky
    I dreamt of a vast and exploding night sky
    lights by the billions soaring on by
    Silence was fast dancing, I know not why
    waiting for message as night did fly!
    Each breeze flickered the big glowing sight
    and thoughts matched the echoes of glee
    Love touches waltzed with the beaming light
    each caressing the yearning heart in me.
    I dreamt of an angel, winging right on down
    whispering she sought true deep love
    As she fluttered there in her brilliant gown
    winged beauty from the Heavens above.
    No sound, the utter silence danced its tune
    So strangely missing, was the smiling moon!

Robert Jasper Lindley, American poet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Can not show the musical score here as it could possibly be copied and stolen.
    I can only wait now for his full concert composition to be finished and presented at its first performance date. -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Got an email today from noted composer Peter Klatzow that my poem- "The Vast And Exploding Night Sky"- has been written into a song complete with musical score .
    He finished it last night along with its companion poem/song by Lord Byron , both finished.
    As he presented both side by side , it looked like I was in a way answering Lord Byron's great poem--"She Walks In Beauty"..
    Yet I simply wrote down the thoughts that I once had looking up at the night sky long ago!

She Walks In Beauty .................................................. ......A Vast And Exploding Night Sky

She walks in beauty, like the night
    Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
    And all that's best of dark and bright
    Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
    Thus mellowed to that tender light
    Which heaven to gaudy day denies
    One shade the more, one ray the less,
    Had half impaired the nameless grace
    Which waves in every raven tress,
    Or softly lightens o'er her face;
    Where thoughts serenely sweet express
    How pure, how dear their dwelling place
    And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
    So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
    The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
    But tell of days in goodness spent,
    A mind at peace with all below,
    A heart whose love is innocent!
    Lord Byron

A Vast And Exploding Night Sky
    Each breeze flickered the big glowing sight
    and thoughts matched the echoes of glee
    Love touches waltzed with the beaming light
    each caressing the yearning heart in me.
    I dreamt of an angel, winging right on down
    whispering she sought true deep love
    As she fluttered there in her brilliant gown
    winged beauty from the Heavens above.
    No sound, the utter silence danced its tune
    So strangely missing, was the smiling moon!

Robert Jasper Lindley, American poet.
    Can not show the musical score here as it could possibly be copied and stolen.
    I can only wait now for his full concert composition to be finished and presented at its first performance date. -Tyr
    ------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------

UPDATE- 2/24/2016--
    I got this email this morn from Peter about my poem and his setting that poem to music etc.

Peter Klatzow <peteklat@mweb.co.za>
    To Robert Lindley Feb 23 at 8:00 PM

Thank you for this Robert.
    Benjamin Britten was commissioned to write a work for the rededication of Coventry Cathedral, which had been virtually destroyed in the 2nd WW. He interleaved the poetry of Wilfred Owen with the Latin text of the requiem. Owen's poems lamented the incredible loss of young life in war. It is one of Britten's finest creations.

Here's a quick link for you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Requiem

There are quite a few advantages to being left in peace to create. Although I am irritated that so many singers seem reluctant to engage with my songs, I know that in due time they will find a place, and once they are sung will pick up quickly. And so will your beautiful poems.

Best wishes,
    Peter
    PLEASE acknowledge this email, especially if it has attachments.

Peter Klatzow (Professor) DMus, LAkad(SA)

12. Thanks NightTrain, Russ, Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Very cool, Robert! Congratulations again!

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Be sure to let us know when the song is recorded and uploaded to YouTube!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

16. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Congrats Tyr! Such an honor.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Very cool, Robert! Congratulations again!
    Thanks my friend. He had told me in a previous email it was hard getting top Opera singers
    to do this type of music/songs and he would not go with any lesser singer to "just get it done",
    that eventually he will get the singer that he wants to perform it. And that he would not settle for less.
    There are ten songs in this production(mine is the only one in it written by an amateur poet ), and he has
    matched mine with that of Lord Byron's , She Walks In Beauty.
    As he felt in complemented that poem so very well....
    We exchanged over a dozen emails these last few months, gotten to know each other and are actually friends now.
    We have been sharing our family histories, medical issues and discussing several topics.
    I try my best not to bore him--him being a musical genius with world famous career and me only knowing how to play- a jukebox. lol
    He does play chess, write poetry but is not big on guns. All in all a great guy IMHO. -Tyr

20. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Be sure to let us know when the song is recorded and uploaded to YouTube!
    Thanks , will do that my friend. The song is likely only going to be performed the first time, live on stage IMHO.
    I try not to be too demanding by prying into how he is going to produce and orchestrate etc.
    He as given me his phone number there in Capetown, S. Africa but I have yet to actually call him.
    Its not like an old country boy like me has that much in common with a Brit/ music genius thats already world famous other than our age is fairly close and he writes poetry himself and plays chess (at slightly above average he said). -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Congrats Tyr! Such an honor.
    True, and at first not knowing he he was I almost said no..
    But the way he asked intrigued me to check out who he was, after that everything changed.
    Not everyday somebody of his stature asks to use one of me poems to put to music in a live performance
    on stage..
    Will be great once it ever sees light of day. Can not rush him as its his baby.--Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Peter Klatzow and I have exchanged well over 40 emails since he first requested to use my poem to set to music. A new request came in to me couple days ago, in regards to Millay's sonnet he is setting to music currently. I gave my advice and examples of my own sonnets that mirrored her's in subject matter , heart, honesty and message.
    He sent me another request this morn, I will block all other sentences in that long email as its personal and only show the new request.

Dear Robert,
    Thank you for both your emails. It is so good to be conversing with an active poet!

But I firmly believe: It's not what you WERE but what you BECOME that matters.

I love your sonnets. Can I investigate them with a view to setting them?
    I just sent my friend a reply answering yes he may do so . As its an honor.. Abbreviated short version of my in-depth reply to Peter.