Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Default Mt McKinley to be renamed to Mt Denali... executive order by Obama

Apparently, Obama is renaming Mt McKinley to Denali before he travels to Alaska.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us...nali.html?_r=0

NT, I'd be interested to know your opinion...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Apparently, Obama is renaming Mt McKinley to Denali before he travels to Alaska.

When are we to be rid of that stinking vermin?
    That arrogant bastard and lying sack of shat..
    Could he possibly ever be more conceited and arrogant?
    I would dearly love to be able to spit in his face.. as he so richly deserves it IMHO --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

3. Thanks Russ, NightTrain, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I would dearly love to be able to spit in his face.. as he so richly deserves it IMHO --Tyr
    Ha! I love that enthusiasm! Over a year until someone else gets elected, unfortunately, and 2 months after that before Obama 'pardons' every Dem in jail and then finally takes the limo to the airport. I can't wait.

5. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

There has been a bipartisan effort in Alaska to change the name, in fact a Republican introduced the bill in congress. The problem has been Ohio. Their representatives have been the fly in the ointment blocking the effort because McKinley was from, well, Ohio. This has little to do with Obama except that he may get the name changed outside the normal channels.

This may be the one instance where I have no problem with that process...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

7. Thanks Russ, revelarts, NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

We call it Denali and have for a long time... it's really not an issue. It's still occasionally called McKinley here and there, but I only do it when talking about it to people from the lower 48 because no one down there knows Denali = Mt. McKinley. I used to be against the whole thing, but I've changed my mind over the last decade or two. It's natural now. And, really, McKinley had nothing to do with the discovery - he had a Republican frontiersman / explorer fan back in the day and that's how that came about.

It's never referred to as 'Mt. Denali', or Denali Mtn or Denali Peak - it's just Denali. Kind of different.

I don't know why he decided to intrude on the matter, but it is what it is - it was going to happen anyway. Classic example of a politician running like hell to get ahead of a successful movement to claim responsibility. I guess anything to add to his 'legacy'! lol

On the downside, there's more than a few Air Charter outfits in Talkeetna with the name 'McKinley' in their name, so they're going to have to change so the tourists know what they're all about.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

9. Thanks Russ, revelarts, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    There has been a bipartisan effort in Alaska to change the name, in fact a Republican introduced the bill in congress. The problem has been Ohio. Their representatives have been the fly in the ointment blocking the effort because McKinley was from, well, Ohio. This has little to do with Obama except that he may get the name changed outside the normal channels.

This may be the one instance where I have no problem with that process...
    Seems like a decent thing to do. Seems a very small gesture.
    Not sure if it's within his presidential powers though. If so fine if not chalk up to another unconstitutional act for O.

But I'm more bothered by his "climate change" activity in Alaska. that crap just won't die.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

11. Thanks Russ, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    But I'm more bothered by his "climate change" activity in Alaska. that crap just won't die.

Yeah, we're all dreading the real reason he's up here.

It won't be good for us.

13. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    We call it Denali and have for a long time... it's really not an issue. It's still occasionally called McKinley here and there, but I only do it when talking about it to people from the lower 48 because no one down there knows Denali = Mt. McKinley. I used to be against the whole thing, but I've changed my mind over the last decade or two. It's natural now. And, really, McKinley had nothing to do with the discovery - he had a Republican frontiersman / explorer fan back in the day and that's how that came about.

It's never referred to as 'Mt. Denali', or Denali Mtn or Denali Peak - it's just Denali. Kind of different.

I don't know why he decided to intrude on the matter, but it is what it is - it was going to happen anyway. Classic example of a politician running like hell to get ahead of a successful movement to claim responsibility. I guess anything to add to his 'legacy'! lol

On the downside, there's more than a few Air Charter outfits in Talkeetna with the name 'McKinley' in their name, so they're going to have to change so the tourists know what they're all about.
    Well, my first response was to be against it, basically because Obama is proposing it, but I'm actually changing my mind and saying it's the right thing to do. In Obama's case, it's for the wrong reasons, but it is at least the right thing to do.

15. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Well, my first response was to be against it, basically because Obama is proposing it, but I'm actually changing my mind and saying it's the right thing to do. In Obama's case, it's for the wrong reasons, but it is at least the right thing to do.
    On this board, Obama never does the right thing. Even when it is the right thing, it's actually not.

If Obama really wanted to do something useful, he would give Alaska to Canada.
    Last edited by gabosaurus; 08-30-2015 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yeah, don't get me wrong... none of us want him to meddle in it. It is arrogance of the highest order to land in the State that hates you the most and change the name of the highest mountain in North America!

But we've got bigger fish to fry, and this was going to happen anyway. He's still a shithead.

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Ha! I love that enthusiasm! Over a year until someone else gets elected, unfortunately, and 2 months after that before Obama 'pardons' every Dem and black man in jail and then finally takes the limo to the airport. I can't wait.
    Fixed it for ya

So the liar in charge will be staying in DC so his kids can finish school there, you know he wouldn't want his kids to go the a public school in Chicago, to many killing and no guns allowed, where his kids go now they have armed guards , so it is just his kids that should be protected.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

20. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Fixed it for ya

So the liar in charge will be staying in DC so his kids can finish school there, you know he wouldn't want his kids to go the a public school in Chicago, to many killing and no guns allowed, where his kids go now they have armed guards , so it is just his kids that should be protected.
    Yes, perhaps he thinks that they might spawn another messiah like him!
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

22. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

My friend, there is VALID reason why our FIRST response to anything that worm wants to do is NO!
    And that is because over 95% of the time --hell no- is the right response to give. -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post

The republicans are the ones who have been pushing for this move in the state, with both sides of the aisle in support of the name-change. Apparently, some fanboy named it McKinley, instead Denali, which it's been named for a millenia before that.

Seeing it has popular support, had no actual history attached it, and was apparently the result of rampant fanboyism, gonna say McKinley was the Symbolism over substance here.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org