Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Yes, i do often read your posts ^,^
    *Yawn*.

Want to try again? As a person who drove a crappy ass junker and lived in a trailer and had to beg my mother for money for formula, I think I got more to say here than you do. While you weak fucks sent me off to war.

My infant diaper-wearing daughter could walk and talk by the time I got to come back home so fuck YOU. Why don't you try believing in something greater than you and belt up your silk panties and fight for it? Or do you just think it's okay to sit around on your ponce ass and let the rest of us do your fighting for you?

SO you go on down to the Burger Doodle at the end of the road and flip you some burgers. Don't EVER question me nor my Marines. That Burger Doodle exists only because of US.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Noir, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Thus the inherent weakness on the "deserved" argument.

I'm not certain of your age, but i'd guess you were 19 around 1990?
    Which makes for interesting adjusted inflation numbers...

Earning $1.43 (almost 10%) more per hour than these burger flippers are asking for was a pretty good wage, no?
    Trust me, I worked for crap. When I worked for Roy Rogers (fast food), it was like 1984 or so, maybe 85? I was like 16-17-18 when I worked there. Started at like $3.25 an hour and I think I made up to like $4 an hour by the time I quit, and thought that was awesome!! Of course I couldn't live off that money, or get a place to live, or a car - or really anything at all with that money. But it was MORE than fair wages for a kid not even out of HS, or just out of HS, AND for what the job called for. That was pure minimum wage at the time, which is about what I think it's worth today.

I made more with the van driving, as it was a few years later, and my driving was a little more experienced (and I was able to pass a few tests to get the gig). Not to mention the interview was through a friend. And driving through 3 states to deliver things, starting at like 5am and often not getting back till dark, and often lifting very heavy crap. Also, being a lot was medicine related stuff, I also had to pass a background check and offer various references for security reasons. So I think $16-20 today would be fair for that job. But hell, do that calculator with $3.50 for when I worked fast food in 1985. Isn't that less than $10 for today with inflation?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Trust me, I worked for crap. When I worked for Roy Rogers (fast food), it was like 1984 or so, maybe 85? I was like 16-17-18 when I worked there. Started at like $3.25 an hour and I think I made up to like $4 an hour by the time I quit, and thought that was awesome!! Of course I couldn't live off that money, or get a place to live, or a car - or really anything at all with that money. But it was MORE than fair wages for a kid not even out of HS, or just out of HS, AND for what the job called for. That was pure minimum wage at the time, which is about what I think it's worth today.

I made more with the van driving, as it was a few years later, and my driving was a little more experienced (and I was able to pass a few tests to get the gig). Not to mention the interview was through a friend. And driving through 3 states to deliver things, starting at like 5am and often not getting back till dark, and often lifting very heavy crap. Also, being a lot was medicine related stuff, I also had to pass a background check and offer various references for security reasons. So I think $16-20 today would be fair for that job. But hell, do that calculator with $3.50 for when I worked fast food in 1985. Isn't that less than $10 for today with inflation?
    You were 16 in 1984? I remember when minimum was $2.35 and I was making $3.50 and thought I was hot shit.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You were 16 in 1984? I remember when minimum was $2.35 and I was making $3.50 and thought I was hot shit.
    In 1987, I was working in a convenience store, making $4.00 per hour. I was pregnant and in Nursing school. I made enough money to pay my way through college and help keep a household going. I gave birth in November and graduated in December.

6. Thanks Gunny, jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    In 1987, I was working in a convenience store, making $4.00 per hour. I was pregnant and in Nursing school. I made enough money to pay my way through college and help keep a household going. I gave birth in November and graduated in December.
    How do you make $4.oo per hour in 1987? Barefoot, pregnant and everything, huh?

I'm sorry. I don't what to say.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

How do you make $4.oo per hour in 1987? Barefoot, pregnant and everything, huh?

I'm sorry. I don't what to say.
    I did have shoes. Even Kentucky people wear shoes (mostly).

9. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I did have shoes. Even Kentucky people wear shoes (mostly).
    You had shoes? I did for Sunday School and first grade. We ran around barefoot.

And if you want to know about that war crap I ain't putting it on this board. I have a PM box.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

And if you want to know about that war crap I ain't putting it on this board. I have a PM box.
    I don't know what you mean. What war "crap"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I don't know what you mean. What war "crap"?
    Doesn't matter, does it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Doesn't matter, does it?
    I feel like I have said something wrong to you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I feel like I have said something wrong to you.
    Nah. I'm okay.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yeps, born in 1968. When I got a raise from like 3.25 to 3.50, I thought I was hot shit too, like some sort of great employee who got recognized with a huge raise, as many others only got like .10 or .20 after like 6 months or a year.

I was a kid though, and knew the industry and why they paid so little, and I knew I wouldn't be there forever. I used it as a job to gimme some cash till I move on, not as a job to raise a family, as that's NOT what these jobs are for.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yeps, born in 1968. When I got a raise from like 3.25 to 3.50, I thought I was hot shit too, like some sort of great employee who got recognized with a huge raise, as many others only got like .10 or .20 after like 6 months or a year.

I was a kid though, and knew the industry and why they paid so little, and I knew I wouldn't be there forever. I used it as a job to gimme some cash till I move on, not as a job to raise a family, as that's NOT what these jobs are for.
    Holy crap. 1968? Hell, I was running around in sandals then. And went to Hemisfare.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Holy crap. 1968? Hell, I was running around in sandals then. And went to Hemisfare.
    Old bastard!

And WTF is "Hemisfare"?

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

1968: joined the US Army; made $88 per month as a slick sleeve. Made E2 and made $92 per month. It was GREAT! LOL
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

21. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post