Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Windows 10 - Should I?

So I restored the stupid little icon, the first step towards doing the upgrade. I have it installed on another computer, but I simply don't use it enough to know for sure. It's either do it, or don't do it. My main concerns are: 1) dying halfway through 2) hating it and being unable to go back.

Also, if and when I do it, if successful of course, I'll then be obsessed and toying with it relentlessly to figure things out.

Oh, and c) that all of my programs still work
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So I restored the stupid little icon, the first step towards doing the upgrade. I have it installed on another computer, but I simply don't use it enough to know for sure. It's either do it, or don't do it. My main concerns are: 1) dying halfway through 2) hating it and being unable to go back.

Also, if and when I do it, if successful of course, I'll then be obsessed and toying with it relentlessly to figure things out.

The only issue for me is that my computer sometimes won't wake up when it goes to sleep, or on the occasions it does wake up, no sound.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    The only issue for me is that my computer sometimes won't wake up when it goes to sleep, or on the occasions it does wake up, no sound.
    I went through the steps to reverse what I did before, which was hide the update. I also registered now to receive the update. All that will be left for me is to click the button to do the install. Now I have to think and debate and get feedback.

As for YOUR issue, why go into sleep mode? Is this a laptop? I never use sleep mode, I hate it, while I do understand why folks like it. Just plug the damn thing in and disable sleep mode. That will be $75 please.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I went through the steps to reverse what I did before, which was hide the update. I also registered now to receive the update. All that will be left for me is to click the button to do the install. Now I have to think and debate and get feedback.

As for YOUR issue, why go into sleep mode? Is this a laptop? I never use sleep mode, I hate it, while I do understand why folks like it. Just plug the damn thing in and disable sleep mode. That will be $75 please.
    If you are required to comply with HIPAA, you must never have your computer unattended without the screen locked. Sleep mode is invoked by <Window Key>+L .
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

If you are required to comply with HIPAA, you must never have your computer unattended without the screen locked. Sleep mode is invoked by <window key="">+L .
    Then use an advance screensaver program with security, but also doesn't put your devices to sleep (monitor, HDD, sound...)

</window>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe that Windows 10 spies on your PC for copied software and notifies the appropriate authorities.

7. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
    I believe that Windows 10 spies on your PC for copied software and notifies the appropriate authorities.
    That's what I heard a bit back too, but it's not as bad as we thought. It only pertains to Microsoft software and games (Xbox). If it were true, I "might" be in a world of hurt. But no, I already have one machine up and running and no issues.

Here's one article on a quick search, I can find more if you would like, but there's tons of articles out there on this, as you can imagine that loads of folks were a little nervous!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...e_not_so_fast/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

no...stay away from 10
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

10. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

If you are required to comply with HIPAA, you must never have your computer unattended without the screen locked. Sleep mode is invoked by <window key="">+L .
    Talifins, I am impressed with your spelling of "HIPAA". Even today, most people at my job spell it "HIPPA", as if it is a female hippopotamus.
    </window>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    no...stay away from 10
    Any reason to go along with that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10432300.html

"Microsoft also keeps tabs on your behaviour in order to target adverts to you - something you might be uncomfortable with, or might just find annoying.

If you're worried about your privacy then you might be put off by upgrading to Windows 10 - which is a shame, because early reviews all seem to agree that it's a really good operating system.
    Fortunately, it's possible to opt-out of these privacy policies, and Rock Paper Shotgun have explained how to do it.

Go to Settings - Privacy and turn off everything that looks dodgy

There are 13 screens you need to get through to cover every aspect of your machine, including what apps and programs have access to your location, contacts, messaging details and camera, amongt other things."

I think my next computer will have Ubuntu as my operating system. You can even over ride windows when you download this. But I would rather start new with Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Last edited by PixieStix; 11-10-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

14. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Any reason to go along with that?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/why-you-s...429649614.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Windows 10 is a bit confusing and not as smooth as 7 was.

The commands are different and adjustments hard to find for a
    hammer-banger like me.

I'll keep W 7 on my laptop
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post