Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default How to deal with a lying collision perpetrator

If someone is a bad driver, they likely have other character issues. Ahmed at work had this exact issue. Insurance companies don't like to pay out money. Their preferred fault determination is "50-50 fault", that way nobody gets paid anything. If somebody hits your car, use your body to prevent them from moving their car and take as many photos as you can establishing THEIR fault. Ahmed told me he did NOT do that. In the case of Ahmed, the person that hit him bragged "my dad works for an insurance company and taught me how to lie my way out of an accident".

I personally had an incident years ago where I was t-boned by a dump truck. Their avoidance technique was the "cold shoulder". I filed a small claims lawsuit AND filed paperwork to start the process of getting the driver's CDL (Commercial Driver's License) suspended. I got a call a couple of days later from an angry insurance adjuster telling me to come into their office. I came in as requested. They yelled at me and told me I needed to take a "chill pill" and decent people don't do things like that. I stood up and said, "Pay me or your insured will suffer the consequences. When will I get my money"? They told me 7 calendar days. That Impala was in weak #4 condition, possibly even a #5. They paid me for #3 condition, double what I paid for it.

ALWAYS file a small claims lawsuit THAT WEEK if somebody hits you and the damage is under $10K ($15K in Georgia). Remind the person that hit you that perjury is a crime and you will demand prosecution if they dare try committing perjury.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

2. Thanks revelarts, DLT thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    If someone is a bad driver, they likely have other character issues. Ahmed at work had this exact issue. Insurance companies don't like to pay out money. Their preferred fault determination is "50-50 fault", that way nobody gets paid anything. If somebody hits your car, use your body to prevent them from moving their car and take as many photos as you can establishing THEIR fault. Ahmed told me he did NOT do that. In the case of Ahmed, the person that hit him bragged "my dad works for an insurance company and taught me how to lie my way out of an accident".

I personally had an incident years ago where I was t-boned by a dump truck. Their avoidance technique was the "cold shoulder". I filed a small claims lawsuit AND filed paperwork to start the process of getting the driver's CDL (Commercial Driver's License) suspended. I got a call a couple of days later from an angry insurance adjuster telling me to come into their office. I came in as requested. They yelled at me and told me I needed to take a "chill pill" and decent people don't do things like that. I stood up and said, "Pay me or your insured will suffer the consequences. When will I get my money"? They told me 7 calendar days. That Impala was in weak #4 condition, possibly even a #5. They paid me for #3 condition, double what I paid for it.

ALWAYS file a small claims lawsuit THAT WEEK if somebody hits you and the damage is under $10K ($15K in Georgia). Remind the person that hit you that perjury is a crime and you will demand prosecution if they dare try committing perjury.
    What did the driver do wrong that you tried to take his livelihood away from him ?? As for the cold shoulder ( if I am understanding you right ) as a driver for many years I can tell you, the first thing any company tells you is don't say a word, let the lawyers do the talking.

As for the law suit, yea that is what ( I believe ) is destroying this country, BS like this screws everyone, so you got paid double what you paid for the car, I seriously hope you aren't one of those people that ask why the hell Insurance rates are so high.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Voted4Reagan thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I let one person get away with hitting my car back in the 80s due to their sob story. Big mistake. The damage to my car eventually caused it to become an unusable lemon, despite numerous and constantly required repairs after the collision. But I was soft-hearted back then. I learned the hard way.

Now, I enjoy the freedom of driving an old car...hehe. If they hit me they're the ones that will have damage (mine is like a Sherman tank). And yes indeed, they will get sued if they don't act in the proper manner (accept the blame).

6. Thanks tailfins thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What did the driver do wrong that you tried to take his livelihood away from him ?? As for the cold shoulder ( if I am understanding you right ) as a driver for many years I can tell you, the first thing any company tells you is don't say a word, let the lawyers do the talking.

As for the law suit, yea that is what ( I believe ) is destroying this country, BS like this screws everyone, so you got paid double what you paid for the car, I seriously hope you aren't one of those people that ask why the hell Insurance rates are so high.
    Had I not been driving a 5500 lb car, I would have been dead. The driver was speeding and overloaded. Was I just supposed to eat a totalled $5,000 car? That's exactly what would have happened, had I not gotten vicious. Ahmed has to eat a damaged vehicle because he DIDN'T sue.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-13-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Had I not been driving a 5500 lb car, I would have been dead. The driver was speeding and overloaded. Was I just supposed to eat a totalled $5,000 car? That's exactly what would have happened, had I not gotten vicious. Ahmed has to eat a damaged vehicle because he DIDN'T sue.
    Insurance would of paid for the value of the car, not double what it was worth, for starters, if the driver was overloaded and speeding he would of had tickets out the ass and again you would of been paid pronto. Most trucking companies would of been happy to pay out of pocket let alone you having to sue, so either 1) your full of shit ( this is the one I am guessing ) or 2) the driver wasn't over loaded and speeding. OOOppps both say your full of shit, yea I thought so.

Tf when you brag about getting double your money well I seriously doubt anything after that, now have you ever heard of a thing called the D.O.T. yes if a driver is in a wreck as bad as you speak of ( anytime a car is totaled ) they are usually are on the scene, DOT that is not just regular cops, but even if it was minor to where the regular police handled it all, there is a thing called a DAC report that immediately goes to the D.O.T. and they investigate, if that driver was doing as you say he would of been charged with at the very least, reckless driving which would of taken his lisc. ( yes any driver with a CDL Lisc. gets a certain amount of point at one time they lose their lisc. ) and the minute your insurance company seen it was a CDL driver involved they know this, it's a open and shut case, I know because I have been there. Now when you get some shit head that wants to make money and wont just take the payment for his vehicle and medical bills that is when the law suits begin, but truckers are at fault 99% of the time, at least that is what the public ( and unfortunately many cops think ) But the laws now a days are so strict if a ICC vehicle hits you that is the easiest thing in the world to collect from, that is why most companies run so much insurance on each truck it is unreal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Insurance would of paid for the value of the car, not double what it was worth, for starters, if the driver was overloaded and speeding he would of had tickets out the ass and again you would of been paid pronto. Most trucking companies would of been happy to pay out of pocket let alone you having to sue, so either 1) your full of shit ( this is the one I am guessing ) or 2) the driver wasn't over loaded and speeding. OOOppps both say your full of shit, yea I thought so.

Tf when you brag about getting double your money well I seriously doubt anything after that, now have you ever heard of a thing called the D.O.T. yes if a driver is in a wreck as bad as you speak of ( anytime a car is totaled ) they are usually are on the scene, DOT that is not just regular cops, but even if it was minor to where the regular police handled it all, there is a thing called a DAC report that immediately goes to the D.O.T. and they investigate, if that driver was doing as you say he would of been charged with at the very least, reckless driving which would of taken his lisc. ( yes any driver with a CDL Lisc. gets a certain amount of point at one time they lose their lisc. ) and the minute your insurance company seen it was a CDL driver involved they know this, it's a open and shut case, I know because I have been there. Now when you get some shit head that wants to make money and wont just take the payment for his vehicle and medical bills that is when the law suits begin, but truckers are at fault 99% of the time, at least that is what the public ( and unfortunately many cops think ) But the laws now a days are so strict if a ICC vehicle hits you that is the easiest thing in the world to collect from, that is why most companies run so much insurance on each truck it is unreal.
    The cop asked if I wanted an ambulance, I said no. They called a tow truck for me. Me and my car went home in the tow truck. My cops were County Sheriff (Forsyth or Gwinnett, I can't remember which). I don't know if tickets were written or not. The dump truck and cops stayed behind after I left. I didn't even get their insurance. All the cop said to do was "exchange information". The trucking company didn't return my calls. Nothing else would seem to work. Explain to me how it's my fault if I'm turning left, the dump truck can't stop, tries to swerve to the left and winds up T-boning me, pushing me though a fence and a field, bending the frame on a 1972 Impala.

And yes, most people would get angry with you for saying they are full of it, but this discussion is useful if in the future I'm ever in court and some lawyer is cross-examining me. You of course are playing the part of the other side's attorney.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-13-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

The cop asked if I wanted an ambulance, I said no. They called a tow truck for me. Me and my car went home in the tow truck. My cops were County Sheriff (Forsyth or Gwinnett, I can't remember which). I don't know if tickets were written or not. The dump truck and cops stayed behind after I left. I didn't even get their insurance. All the cop said to do was "exchange information". The trucking company didn't return my calls. Nothing else would seem to work. Explain to me how it's my fault if I'm turning left, the dump truck can't stop, tries to swerve to the left and winds up T-boning me, pushing me though a fence and a field, bending the frame on a 1972 Impala.

And yes, most people would get angry with you for saying they are full of it, but this discussion is useful if in the future I'm ever in court and some lawyer is cross-examining me. You of course are playing the part of the other side's attorney.
    Bro I told you I speak from experience, the wreck that comes to mind was in Atlanta where I was driving a dump Trailer loaded with 79,500 Lbs of stone, do you know why I remember the weight, because legally you can't carry but 80.000 lbs ( in a trailer a dump truck would be 65.000 lbs ) and did you also know that in all Rock Quarries there are scales, and they won't let you out the gate if you are over weight ? Now if he was coming off of a work site or something yes he could of been heavy,what was he hauling ?? Now when you made the left did you think about how much longer it takes him to stop than it does a car ?? The accident I got in down in Atlanta was similar, the guy was all over the road, he had just robbed the corner store, I watched him come out of the store and jump in the car while the guys that hung there where throwing stuff at him, he lost control of the car right away ( a firebird ) he was in all 4 lanes, as I tried to get out of his way ( but by this time I was in his lane trying to get into the parking lot ) he slid driver side towards me, I hit him and blew out all the glass, pushed the frame from one side to the other, and flattened all 4 tires, well he jumped out with a gun in one hand and a bag in the other, when the police came they found him a hundred yards away sitting on the RR tracks, seems his Bell was rung pretty good, here is the kicker though, even though I hit him in his lane of traffic he received ( if I remember correctly ) like 16 tickets ( yea you never leave the scene until tickets are given out, if none are than the cop is basically saying he can't tell who is at fault)

Another wreck I had was on Jimmy Cater in Gwinnett, I was stopped at a red light, about a half mile or so from it in the right lane, I left just enough room to see the rear of the car in front of me, well a woman came up the turning lane saw that opening and decided she would cut in there, when I took off ( Loaded of course ) it felt like I hit a pot hole, it wasn't until about 5th gear that I heard her tires screeching ( I was pushing her up the road sideways ) yea her neck and back where hurting her real bad but when the cop came he got up in my truck and realized there is no way I could of seen her, he told me to take off, of course I asked him who was at fault and he said she was ( at which point as she started screaming and cussing her neck and back all of a sudden seemed better )

Then I was on 26 in SC, I had my son with me, I passed a car running about 80 and there was no other cars in sight, so I rode out there for a few minutes than put my right hand blinker on and looked in my mirror and in the lower window on the bottom of the door and preceded to switch lanes, I felt a bump and my son said Dad there is a car here, so I pulled to the shoulder he pulled over with his brand new beamer and he explained that he was passing me on the right, when the cop got here he told the cop he was in a hurry heading to a appointment in Charleston, well as we left the cop didn't hand either of us a ticket, my insurance company called me and I told them the facts at which point they told me they weren't paying a dime, it was his fault, again he was in my blind spot, no way I could see him and he admitted to being in a hurry when I told the cop I was running over the speed limit ( which was 70 ) OOO and they where going to pay 50%, which would of made me 50% at fault and yea he called the trucking company as well, NO they wont talk to you. that is why they have insurance, just as the idiot in the beamer screwed himself with the he was late for a meeting sometimes you say things to incriminate yourself, so you leave it to the insurance company, first thing any company tells you is don't say a word and take a whole roll of film in pictures.

And all 3 of these wrecks are on my DAC report and all 3 say driver not charged, because the DOT did there inspection, that is how a new company hires a ICC driver, the report tells all tickets, violations and wrecks one may of had, So was it your fault, not saying that but I am not convinced it was his either, sounds like if they gave you 5 grand for a car they paid you off, hell the cost of the lawyers and all involved would of cost more than that, and then they may of got a liberal judge that knows nothing of driving a heavy truck, and he/she may of thought just like you did (you where turning ) and gave ya 5 times the amount.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Bro I told you I speak from experience, the wreck that comes to mind was in Atlanta where I was driving a dump Trailer loaded with 79,500 Lbs of stone, do you know why I remember the weight, because legally you can't carry but 80.000 lbs ( in a trailer a dump truck would be 65.000 lbs ) and did you also know that in all Rock Quarries there are scales, and they won't let you out the gate if you are over weight ? Now if he was coming off of a work site or something yes he could of been heavy,what was he hauling ?? Now when you made the left did you think about how much longer it takes him to stop than it does a car ?? The accident I got in down in Atlanta was similar, the guy was all over the road, he had just robbed the corner store, I watched him come out of the store and jump in the car while the guys that hung there where throwing stuff at him, he lost control of the car right away ( a firebird ) he was in all 4 lanes, as I tried to get out of his way ( but by this time I was in his lane trying to get into the parking lot ) he slid driver side towards me, I hit him and blew out all the glass, pushed the frame from one side to the other, and flattened all 4 tires, well he jumped out with a gun in one hand and a bag in the other, when the police came they found him a hundred yards away sitting on the RR tracks, seems his Bell was rung pretty good, here is the kicker though, even though I hit him in his lane of traffic he received ( if I remember correctly ) like 16 tickets ( yea you never leave the scene until tickets are given out, if none are than the cop is basically saying he can't tell who is at fault)

Another wreck I had was on Jimmy Cater in Gwinnett, I was stopped at a red light, about a half mile or so from it in the right lane, I left just enough room to see the rear of the car in front of me, well a woman came up the turning lane saw that opening and decided she would cut in there, when I took off ( Loaded of course ) it felt like I hit a pot hole, it wasn't until about 5th gear that I heard her tires screeching ( I was pushing her up the road sideways ) yea her neck and back where hurting her real bad but when the cop came he got up in my truck and realized there is no way I could of seen her, he told me to take off, of course I asked him who was at fault and he said she was ( at which point as she started screaming and cussing her neck and back all of a sudden seemed better )

Then I was on 26 in SC, I had my son with me, I passed a car running about 80 and there was no other cars in sight, so I rode out there for a few minutes than put my right hand blinker on and looked in my mirror and in the lower window on the bottom of the door and preceded to switch lanes, I felt a bump and my son said Dad there is a car here, so I pulled to the shoulder he pulled over with his brand new beamer and he explained that he was passing me on the right, when the cop got here he told the cop he was in a hurry heading to a appointment in Charleston, well as we left the cop didn't hand either of us a ticket, my insurance company called me and I told them the facts at which point they told me they weren't paying a dime, it was his fault, again he was in my blind spot, no way I could see him and he admitted to being in a hurry when I told the cop I was running over the speed limit ( which was 70 ) OOO and they where going to pay 50%, which would of made me 50% at fault and yea he called the trucking company as well, NO they wont talk to you. that is why they have insurance, just as the idiot in the beamer screwed himself with the he was late for a meeting sometimes you say things to incriminate yourself, so you leave it to the insurance company, first thing any company tells you is don't say a word and take a whole roll of film in pictures.

And all 3 of these wrecks are on my DAC report and all 3 say driver not charged, because the DOT did there inspection, that is how a new company hires a ICC driver, the report tells all tickets, violations and wrecks one may of had, So was it your fault, not saying that but I am not convinced it was his either, sounds like if they gave you 5 grand for a car they paid you off, hell the cost of the lawyers and all involved would of cost more than that, and then they may of got a liberal judge that knows nothing of driving a heavy truck, and he/she may of thought just like you did (you where turning ) and gave ya 5 times the amount.
    I got $10,000 for a $5,000 car. Other than what I did, how else would I have gotten paid? I didn't say much to the driver. I got out of the passenger side of my vehicle and the driver said he was worried that I was dead. I just laughed and said I feel like I just saw a ghost. He was dumbfounded that I wasn't injured. I did go to a doc-in-the-box (a quick clinic) to get checked out. They also paid that bill, but it wasn't much.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-13-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I got $10,000 for a $5,000 car. Other than what I did, how else would I have gotten paid? I didn't say much to the driver. I got out of the passenger side of my vehicle and the driver said he was worried that I was dead. I just laughed and said I feel like I just saw a ghost. He was dumbfounded that I wasn't injured. I did go to a doc-in-the-box (a quick clinic) to get checked out. They also paid that bill, but it wasn't much.
    OK 10 grand, a small amount paid out to protect the interest of the company, how to do it without suing, let the insurance companies fight it out, hell you may of wound up with more money, you sure enough would of gotten your car paid for and medical bills, of course that is if the driver was truly speeding and over weight, ya never did mention what he was hauling ( as I said most of what a dump truck driver hauls is weighed and he must be legal before leaving )

But like I said even at 10 grand they paid you off to quiet you up, when folks get in a wreck where they almost died and the driver was so at fault the people usually are awarded a lot more money than that, Hell I had a friend that sued the state of NJ for 7 grand for cutting his finger, so looks to me like maybe it was a 50/50 at fault ( at best ) and the trucking companies insurance company paid you to quiet ya up, let me guess the book value was around 8 or so for the car, sounds about right ( yea I know old car but some are worth 5 times that )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You could over-think boiling water.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Thanks Nukeman, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You could over-think boiling water.

16. Thanks Gunny, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

18. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post

I get it now! The Hydrogen Peroxide had a concentration exceeding 35%!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Tailfins, do you ever think about anything other than how to cheat or extort money from folks that have somehow (allegedly) wronged you?

My sister was involved in an accident and refused to allow her insurance to settle because she knew it was a scam. The guy's personal insurance company was a small fly by name operation known for such. My sister hired her own lawyer and filed charges for filing a false police report, harassment and a few other things.
    The other driver tried to end the case by dropping his charges, since his scam insurance company doesn't represent drivers in court. My sister refused, took it to court and won a judgment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Tailfins, do you ever think about anything other than how to cheat or extort money from folks that have somehow (allegedly) wronged you?

My sister was involved in an accident and refused to allow her insurance to settle because she knew it was a scam. The guy's personal insurance company was a small fly by name operation known for such. My sister hired her own lawyer and filed charges for filing a false police report, harassment and a few other things.
    The other driver tried to end the case by dropping his charges, since his scam insurance company doesn't represent drivers in court. My sister refused, took it to court and won a judgment.
    How is what your sister did any different than what I did? It would have really been cool if she pulled it off WITHOUT hiring a lawyer. It can be done.