Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK Gun Laws

This is the UK situation with gun law -

As Britain's gun ownership system is criticised by inspectors, here are the key questions answered on the rules which apply in England, Scotland and Wales.
    :: Can anyone own a gun?
    In principle, yes they can. But you have to have a licence to own a gun and you have to comply with certain regulations in order to get a licence.
    :: So how do I get a licence?
    You would need to apply to your local police force asking for either a Firearms Certificate or a Shotgun Certificate.
    :: What's the difference?
    A Firearms Certificate (FAC) is for a rifle, certain pistols with overly long barrels, air rifles with a power of more than 12 foot pounds (12ft lbs) or a shotgun with a magazine capacity of three or more cartridges.
    A Shotgun Certificate (SGC) does what it says on the tin. It is for a smooth bore gun that does not have a magazine or a non-detachable magazine that holds no more than two cartridges, with a barrel not less than 24" (60.96cm) and a bore less than 2" (5.08cm).
    :: What about air rifles?
    Any adult can own an air rifle provided it does not exceed a power output of 12ft lbs which is the amount of energy needed to propel a pound in weight 12 feet into the air. Anything of 12ft lbs or over is treated like a firearm.
    :: So what happens after that?
    You decide what licence is appropriate for you and apply. There are only two reasons you can have a gun. One is for shooting at targets, i.e. at a gun club, while the other is for hunting.
    If you're looking to hunt (i.e. shooting animals) you have to have somewhere appropriate to shoot - either you own the land or you have the owner's permission to shoot there.
    It has to be land that's suitable for shooting, so it has to be safe so you do not present a danger to the public.
    If it's your first application, you will need a firearms police expert to come and inspect the land to ensure it fits the criteria - your back garden, for instance, unless it's a particularly large expanse, is unlikely to be considered suitable.
    :: Once I've got the licence and the gun, can I keep it at home?
    Yes, but the gun has to be under lock and key, in a cabinet attached to a wall - again the police will come to inspect.
    You also need somewhere separate to keep the ammunition, although this could be a mini locker inside your gun cabinet.
    :: Are there any reasons why I can't have a licence?
    There may be physical or mental health reasons why you will be refused a gun licence.
    You have to disclose them on your application form and it is an offence not to reveal relevant information.
    If you've been given a suspended sentence for a minimum of three months or more, you cannot hold a firearm for five years after being sentenced.
    If you have been in prison for three years or more, you are forever banned from having a licence.
    :: And, finally, can I have a gun purely to defend myself?
    No, never.

How do Americans view our situation? Apparently inspectors are not happy !!

2. Thanks Perianne, Drummond, Gunny, DLT thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post

As Britain's gun ownership system is criticised by inspectors, here are the key questions answered on the rules which apply in England, Scotland and Wales.
    In principle, yes they can. But you have to have a licence to own a gun and you have to comply with certain regulations in order to get a licence.
    You would need to apply to your local police force asking for either a Firearms Certificate or a Shotgun Certificate.
    A Firearms Certificate (FAC) is for a rifle, certain pistols with overly long barrels, air rifles with a power of more than 12 foot pounds (12ft lbs) or a shotgun with a magazine capacity of three or more cartridges.
    A Shotgun Certificate (SGC) does what it says on the tin. It is for a smooth bore gun that does not have a magazine or a non-detachable magazine that holds no more than two cartridges, with a barrel not less than 24" (60.96cm) and a bore less than 2" (5.08cm).
    Any adult can own an air rifle provided it does not exceed a power output of 12ft lbs which is the amount of energy needed to propel a pound in weight 12 feet into the air. Anything of 12ft lbs or over is treated like a firearm.
    You decide what licence is appropriate for you and apply. There are only two reasons you can have a gun. One is for shooting at targets, i.e. at a gun club, while the other is for hunting.
    If you're looking to hunt (i.e. shooting animals) you have to have somewhere appropriate to shoot - either you own the land or you have the owner's permission to shoot there.
    It has to be land that's suitable for shooting, so it has to be safe so you do not present a danger to the public.
    If it's your first application, you will need a firearms police expert to come and inspect the land to ensure it fits the criteria - your back garden, for instance, unless it's a particularly large expanse, is unlikely to be considered suitable.
    Yes, but the gun has to be under lock and key, in a cabinet attached to a wall - again the police will come to inspect.
    You also need somewhere separate to keep the ammunition, although this could be a mini locker inside your gun cabinet.
    There may be physical or mental health reasons why you will be refused a gun licence.
    You have to disclose them on your application form and it is an offence not to reveal relevant information.
    If you've been given a suspended sentence for a minimum of three months or more, you cannot hold a firearm for five years after being sentenced.
    If you have been in prison for three years or more, you are forever banned from having a licence.
    No, never.

I suppose that is why my thread on the other forum went over like a lead zeppelin.

4. Thanks Nonnie, Drummond, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    I suppose that is why my thread on the other forum went over like a lead zeppelin.
    With an air rifle, when not in use, you have to place a lock through the trigger part when not in use. The pellet is not allowed to leave the area where you have permission to fire it. If you are caught walking across private land with an air rifle without permission, it's a criminal offence, regardless if you have pellets on you or not.

And the inspectors are still not happy!!

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

There are only two reasons you can have a gun. One is for shooting at targets, i.e. at a gun club, while the other is for hunting.
    Folks, you can see why there are such differences between British and American culture. The above 'reasons' which permit a Brit to legally own a gun, are far removed from the American 'right to defence' argument .. which simply doesn't come within the range of reasons you are permitted to own one in Britain. The entire 'defend yourself with a gun' premise just does not exist in our culture.

Nonnie's piece, in any case, shows that within even these severely curtailed justifications, further restrictions apply, making it impossible for most to justify gun ownership.

But I found it appalling to see, on the Brit forum which Perianne spent a very brief time posting to, just how intolerant they were, there, to ideas not their own. Judgementality was rife, and it was all based on the narrow perceptions the British hold as to what can and should be seen to be 'right'.

I've said, and will always maintain, that the English 2011 riots, which spread across much of that country and persisted for the better part of a week, could've been stopped in their tracks if ONLY shopkeepers, etc had been empowered to defend themselves and their property. But, they weren't, and we saw where that led.

Ridiculously, Brits look at reports of American shootings, the reaction is to do a lot of 'tut-tutting', then the gun control debate begins again (for a little while). Always, the talk is one of 'are our laws tough ENOUGH'. And, why don't Americans toughen up their own laws ?

I don't recall any British commentator ever covering an Obama pronouncement on tougher gun laws with a critical approach to it. If views are expressed, it's always to sympathise with Obama.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-15-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

8. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I would say so ! But I think that a little more than that was at work. It's obvious that the forum has its share of Lefties. What you offered was a fresh perspective, and one cutting right across anything they could possibly tolerate. Shock, horror .. what if anyone actually reacted to you by thinking you were making good sense ??

That would never do. So, with all that at work, you had to be countered. A certain status quo long-since foisted upon us had to be defended from any 'foreign' ideas that might intrude on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I would say so ! But I think that a little more than that was at work. It's obvious that the forum has its share of Lefties. What you offered was a fresh perspective, and one cutting right across anything they could possibly tolerate. Shock, horror .. what if anyone actually reacted to you by thinking you were making good sense ??

That would never do. So, with all that at work, you had to be countered. A certain status quo long-since foisted upon us had to be defended from any 'foreign' ideas that might intrude on it.
    I sorta picked up on the thinking that I was there to get them to change their minds, to subterfuge.

Overall, it was a good experience for me. I learned something about how Brits view gun ownership. I am sure that courtesy of the BBC they only think of American as the wild west, where everyone shoots everyone over any dispute. And it IS sorta that way in the inner cities with the dark young men.

11. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I sorta picked up on the thinking that I was there to get them to change their minds, to subterfuge.

Overall, it was a good experience for me. I learned something about how Brits view gun ownership. I am sure that courtesy of the BBC they only think of American as the wild west, where everyone shoots everyone over any dispute. And it IS sorta that way in the inner cities with the dark young men.
    That's another aspect of what's not understood - the persisting depth of bad race relations, the inherent violence it suggests may be brimming beneath the surface. That's not to say that we don't have a form of equivalent in certain areas .. Brixton in London, for example, or Tottenham ... but, political correctness imperatives have such a hold on us, and have had, for so very long, that it just doesn't surface in our conscious minds in the same way.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-15-2015 at 06:51 PM.

13. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    That's another aspect of what's not understood - the persisting depth of bad race relations, the inherent violence it suggests may be brimming beneath the surface. That's not to say that we don't have a form of equivalent in certain areas .. Brixton in London, for example, or Tottenham ... but, political correctness imperatives have such a hold on us, and have had, for so very long, that it just doesn't surface in our conscious minds in the same way.
    Very wise, sir. I have seen it over and over and over here in America. And the people are are under its hold are not even aware of it.

15. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That is too restrictive and intrusive..

King George might be happy with it.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Thanks red state thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    That is too restrictive and intrusive..

King George might be happy with it.
    .... and, it creates a dependency culture, of course, since it means that you have to look to the authorities for your very 'right' to self defence.

Little wonder that the Left will work hard to maintain the status quo.

19. Thanks Perianne, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Here is the rub.

I generally believe brits to be more level-headed and responsible and informed than 'muricans. I can't back that up with proof.

Yet Brits do not trust themselves with gun ownership. I really wonder why Brits feel by-and-large they are incapible of handling the responsibility. What gives? Too many years under imperial control and folks have no self-esteem or wits about them? My AR15 has sat in the top shelf of my closet for three years and hasn't killed anyone. It sits there beside several loaded 30-round mags, few thousand rounds, and a 100 round drum magazine. Above my cooking area in the kitchen, about 7 1/2 feet high from the floor, rests a Glock 9mm, loaded with hollowpoints. It's been there two years just chillin'. Probably enjoying the wonderful smells because I'm a fantastic cook. Hasn't harmed a soul. And so-on with other weapons i own.

I really will NEVER understand how people give control of their freedom over to their respective govts. I will never understand the willfully nuetered.

I know the popularity of the Hunger Games books because Panem is REAL. It's real in the hearts of those who WANT to be lead by totalitarian governments. Our governments are moving, if inching, closer to that model. The last hope for true freedom is an armed populace. See, people do NOT want responsibility for their provisions. People want to lash out and blame because people lack the self-esteem to face the facts they are, by and large, nitwits and incapable. When 'the system' fails them, it's Not THEIR fault!!

So - people elect folks who blatantly lie (such lies are: Speed kills, Gun-culture, Rape-culture, Tolerance, etc, ad nauseam) and promise them "free" shit.

People believe BULLSHIT like:

"Oh! We will KEEP YOU SAFE by removing the best form of protection from violence! When seconds count, our Police are merely minutes away!"

Bullshit. Police have NO duty to risk their lives to protect citizens. Police have NO way to prevent ANY crime; merely to respond to one in progress or one completed.

"Oh! We will KEEP YOU SAFE by removing your ability to decide the safest way to operate the vehicle YOU maintain! We will impose revenue-generating limits on your travel AND....AND we will decide if your vehicle is safe! After all, can't have steering columns falling through the floor and possibly hurting others, now can we! If these measures SAVE EVEN ONE LIFE they are worth it!!"

Bullshit. Speed doesn't kill. Piss-poor decision-making while driving kills, regardless of speed - which is one of probably ten dozen OTHER and more significant factors in crashes. And the inspection bullshit - look, if people drive pieces of crap and those cars malfunction let the operator pay the consequence. And I cannot recall ONE major accident, EVER where it was purely mechanical failure of a car that caused or significantly caused a disaster. Moreover, even thinking of the one or ten? Actual cases where Toyotas years ago ran full throttle - no government-mandated inspection would have found and precluded it (keeping in mind probably 95% were operator error - maybe even 100 percent as folks didn't simply shut the car off, shift it out of gear or apply the brakes full-force).

There isn't much hope left folks. Dangerous Liberty trumps safe slavery - at least in the minds of the pure; the truly free.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

21. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Oh! And GREAT thread, Nonnie! Makes me pause and say a prayer of thanks for my nation's forefathers.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

23. Thanks Drummond, Nukeman thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

No, never.

Sounds like living in Illinois. Their way of skirting the 2nd Amendment is since they can't make you register a firearm, they require the OWNER to be registered.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I can kill a person with:

A Motor Vehicle
    A Knife
    A Club
    A Cricket Bat
    A piece of Iron Pipe
    A frozen Leg of Lamb
    A Rock
    A pair of Scissors
    A toothbrush
    A coil of rope
    A rolling pin

I dont need a gun to kill someone....

But I do need one to protect myself from the people that would use any of the above..
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

26. Thanks Gunny, darin, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    I can kill a person with:

A Motor Vehicle
    A Knife
    A Club
    A Cricket Bat
    A piece of Iron Pipe
    A frozen Leg of Lamb
    A Rock
    A pair of Scissors
    A toothbrush
    A coil of rope
    A rolling pin

I dont need a gun to kill someone....

But I do need one to protect myself from the people that would use any of the above..
    I used to laugh at some of this crap as a commercial electrician. I carried a whole pouch full of weapons.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke