This is the UK situation with gun law -

As Britain's gun ownership system is criticised by inspectors, here are the key questions answered on the rules which apply in England, Scotland and Wales.
:: Can anyone own a gun?
In principle, yes they can. But you have to have a licence to own a gun and you have to comply with certain regulations in order to get a licence.
:: So how do I get a licence?
You would need to apply to your local police force asking for either a Firearms Certificate or a Shotgun Certificate.
:: What's the difference?
A Firearms Certificate (FAC) is for a rifle, certain pistols with overly long barrels, air rifles with a power of more than 12 foot pounds (12ft lbs) or a shotgun with a magazine capacity of three or more cartridges.
A Shotgun Certificate (SGC) does what it says on the tin. It is for a smooth bore gun that does not have a magazine or a non-detachable magazine that holds no more than two cartridges, with a barrel not less than 24" (60.96cm) and a bore less than 2" (5.08cm).
:: What about air rifles?
Any adult can own an air rifle provided it does not exceed a power output of 12ft lbs which is the amount of energy needed to propel a pound in weight 12 feet into the air. Anything of 12ft lbs or over is treated like a firearm.
:: So what happens after that?
You decide what licence is appropriate for you and apply. There are only two reasons you can have a gun. One is for shooting at targets, i.e. at a gun club, while the other is for hunting.
If you're looking to hunt (i.e. shooting animals) you have to have somewhere appropriate to shoot - either you own the land or you have the owner's permission to shoot there.
It has to be land that's suitable for shooting, so it has to be safe so you do not present a danger to the public.
If it's your first application, you will need a firearms police expert to come and inspect the land to ensure it fits the criteria - your back garden, for instance, unless it's a particularly large expanse, is unlikely to be considered suitable.
:: Once I've got the licence and the gun, can I keep it at home?
Yes, but the gun has to be under lock and key, in a cabinet attached to a wall - again the police will come to inspect.
You also need somewhere separate to keep the ammunition, although this could be a mini locker inside your gun cabinet.
:: Are there any reasons why I can't have a licence?
There may be physical or mental health reasons why you will be refused a gun licence.
You have to disclose them on your application form and it is an offence not to reveal relevant information.
If you've been given a suspended sentence for a minimum of three months or more, you cannot hold a firearm for five years after being sentenced.
If you have been in prison for three years or more, you are forever banned from having a licence.
:: And, finally, can I have a gun purely to defend myself?
No, never.

How do Americans view our situation? Apparently inspectors are not happy !!