Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Right turn on red

I'm about willing to vote for any candidate who fights to repeal this fiasco.

It started as a way to keep traffic moving, but ONLY when there is no one coming with a green light. It has turned into an opportunity to cut off anyone and everyone, regardless of who has the right of way.

Not only do these people turn in front of you when they shouldn't, they then GO SLOWLY in front of you.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks Gunny, Elessar, DLT, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

One of the first things they tell you at a Canadian visitors Centre is that you can't legally make a right on red
    Cross the border if you want to try it out.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I get more upset at the drivers who refuse to turn right on red. Because you don't have to. Or those people who drive like they are sight seeing. When they are actually texting.

5. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'm about willing to vote for any candidate that fights to repeal this fiasco.

It started as a way to keep traffic moving, but ONLY when there is no one coming with a green light. It has turned into an opportunity to cut off anyone and everyone, regardless of who has the right of way.

Not only do these people turn in front of you when they shouldn't, they then GO SLOWLY in front of you.

That's not really a problem here. I actually like the cameras they had in Virginia. The light turning red does NOT mean 6 more cars go.

Drivers in general are inconsiderate. They don't pay attention and don't care about anyone but themselves.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I get more upset at the drivers who refuse to turn right on red. Because you don't have to. Or those people who drive like they are sight seeing. When they are actually texting.
    Texting and driving is already unlawful in many states.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sounds like you aren't complaining about the law. You're complaining about people who violate it ("...when there is sufficient distance from oncoming traffic...").

The law varies by state.

You can turn right on a red light in most states I've lived in (California, Colorado, Minnesota) when it is safe.

You can't turn right on a red light in New Jersey, even if you're the only car within a mile of the intersection. You must wait till the light turn green. (At least that was true when I lived there in the 1970s.)

I much prefer the situation in the states where it's permitted.

In Minnesota, you can turn right on a red light... and you can even turn LEFT on a red light, if it's from a one-way street to another one-way street.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Right turn on red is a way of life where I live, I guess I'm used to it. What really pisses me off though are people who want to turn left out of a parking lot but stay way to the right so no one behind them can turn right. I've been tempted more than once to exit my vehicle with my baseball bat and do some damage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motown View Post
    Right turn on red is a way of life where I live, I guess I'm used to it. What really pisses me off though are people who want to turn left out of a parking lot but stay way to the right so no one behind them can turn right. I've been tempted more than once to exit my vehicle with my baseball bat and do some damage.
    I hate the ones that straddle both sides of the parking lot entrance so nobody can enter!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

12. Thanks Motown, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That shakes my grates....some idiot pulls out in front when there is nobody behind me, then putters up the damn road 10-15 mph below
    the speed limit!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

14. Thanks Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    Sounds like you aren't complaining about the law. You're complaining about people who violate it ("...when there is sufficient distance from oncoming traffic...").

The law varies by state.

You can turn right on a red light in most states I've lived in (California, Colorado, Minnesota) when it is safe.

You can't turn right on a red light in New Jersey, even if you're the only car within a mile of the intersection. You must wait till the light turn green. (At least that was true when I lived there in the 1970s.)

I much prefer the situation in the states where it's permitted.

In Minnesota, you can turn right on a red light... and you can even turn LEFT on a red light, if it's from a one-way street to another one-way street.
    Here's a twist. Come back from Okinawa and turn left on red. I was so used to driving in the left lane I was damned sure in the wrong place. Turned left under an under pass into the immediate left lane. I was looking up and it dawned on me those traffic lights weren't three lanes to the right for no reason.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'd like to see the "left turn on green (no arrow)" rescinded too. Why? Same reason. You've got the right of way and suddenly some idiot 'thinks' he's clear to turn (even though there you are, coming right at him) and YOU have to slam on your brakes. Idiotic laws and their intended (you won't convince me otherwise) consequences!

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Right turn on red sucks in NY. It's allowed, unless there is a sign saying "no turn on red", and then the majority of them have in small print that it's allowed during certain days/hours. And don't worry, if you don't see it, and it's allowed, the guy behind you will most certainly remind you!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

20. Thanks Jeff, Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the world of a truck driver. If I get cut off less than 10 times a day I have had a good day

22. Thanks Jeff, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Welcome to the world of a truck driver. If I get cut off less than 10 times a day I have had a good day
    That's GOT to suck. I've spent years on the road. I-10 and !-95 mostly. Seen people do some STUPID crap. Oh, you think that truck doing 70 can just stop on a dime because you decided to exit from the left lane at the last second? I can't even imagine driving a truck. Hard enough in a pickup to fend off the sorry morons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I hate the idiots that turn to cross traffic from right lane , thru my lane left of them instead of slowing to get in the clearly marked turn lane in the middle. Have almost had front of my car clipped by such blithering idiots at least a dozen times this year alone!! Dare I say what group does it most often around here???
    Yes , I do-- nine times out of ten its a black driver. Thats true and if truth is racist so be it..
    I have seen this crap increase every year around here for over 25 years.
    As every year the powers that be here, inform/command the cops to overlook more bad and dangerous driving by that particular group of drivers! A damn Fact. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

25. Thanks Jeff thanked this post