Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parental Q

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Parental Q

Saw an interesting discussion about this the other day and thought it was worth posing here as many are/have been parents -

Where/When does your child privacy end?
    Is it decided by age, or self earning, is it decided by behaviour, or when they leave the home, or is their right to privacy fixed and respected from day dot.

Common examples;
    Reading phone/online messages,
    Opening posted mail,
    Going though their living area,
    Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc.
    Monitoring what monies are spent on.

Bonus Q - If you do keep such tabs, should it be done with them having full knowledge, or on the down low?
    Last edited by Noir; 10-05-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Saw an interesting discussion about this the other day and thought it was worth posing here as many are/have been parents -

Is it decided by age, or self earning, is it decided by behaviour, or when they leave the home, or is their right to privacy fixed and respected from day dot.

Common examples;
    Reading phone/online messages, Never felt the need.
    Opening posted mail, No one gets any these days.
    Going though their living area, Eh, maybe while cleaning up, but never on a witch hunt.
    Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc. Absolutely, yes. Kinda still do, lol.
    Monitoring what monies are spent on. Once the money is hers, she can buy whatever, long as it's legal. With her first career job, she puts half her paycheck directly into the bank for savings, so I think we did ok there.

Bonus Q - If you do keep such tabs, should it be done with them having full knowledge, or on the down low? As to where she is, and with whom, whatever gets the job done. Safety first, everything else second.

As to the overall question, a lot is determined by behavior. If a child earns your trust, it should be given. And assuming the worst in someone usually backfires.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Thanks fj1200, Perianne, darin, revelarts, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Reading phone/online messages: No

Opening posted mail: No

Going though their living area: No

Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc: I have to know the parents of anyone my daughter visits regularly or goes out with.

Monitoring what monies are spent on: Yes

5. Thanks Perianne, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Common examples;
    Opening posted mail,

Bonus Q - If you do keep such tabs, should it be done with them having full knowledge, or on the down low?
    The way I did this is when they left my house they had privacy...until then they didn't.

7. Thanks SassyLady, Gunny, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Once a parent, always a parent.

It depends on the child...

Reading phone/online messages:
    For the criminal child, you bet your ass. For the other two, wasn't necessary.

Opening posted mail: Never.

Going though their living area: If they left it a mess, in my house, and I was forced to clean it, tough shit for them.

Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc.: For the criminal, you bet your ass. For the other two, depended on the activity.

Monitoring what monies are spent on: If it was my money, yes. If it was during the course of teaching them financial responsibility, yes. Otherwise, meh... Not so much

Bonus Q - If you do keep such tabs, should it be done with them having full knowledge, or on the down low? For the criminal, both. For the other two, from time to time I would check up on them, just to make sure I could still trust them...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

9. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Once a parent, always a parent.

It depends on the child...

Reading phone/online messages:
    For the criminal child, you bet your ass. For the other two, wasn't necessary.

Opening posted mail: Never.

Going though their living area: If they left it a mess, in my house, and I was forced to clean it, tough shit for them.

Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc.: For the criminal, you bet your ass. For the other two, depended on the activity.

Monitoring what monies are spent on: If it was my money, yes. If it was during the course of teaching them financial responsibility, yes. Otherwise, meh... Not so much

Bonus Q - If you do keep such tabs, should it be done with them having full knowledge, or on the down low? For the criminal, both. For the other two, from time to time I would check up on them, just to make sure I could still trust them...
    I didn't know you adopted my daughter.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks hjmick thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I didn't know you adopted my daughter.

You have one too? Mine just started a four year stint...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    You have one too? Mine just started a four year stint...
    This what my uncle told me: "They go off to Mars for awhile but usually come back." Mine's a school teacher now and an Army vet.

Don't give up too soon. I thought I was going to have to kill her when she was a teenager. But she IS a chip off the old block.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

This what my uncle told me: "They go off to Mars for awhile but usually come back." Mine's a school teacher now and an Army vet.

Don't give up too soon. I thought I was going to have to kill her when she was a teenager. But she IS a chip off the old block.

This one is 32, pretty sure her course is set...

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Common examples;
    Reading phone/online messages, When he was much younger I monitored to an extent. As he's grown older, he's earned more privacy, based on positive results of prior privacy.
    Opening posted mail, Don't think he has ever gotten any? But mail is private, and gets respected. If it were addressed to "Parents of:" then of course we open.
    Going though their living area, Only for telling him to clean, and like the police "in plain sight" rules.
    Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc. I'm lucky there, kid doesn't really go out. I monitor his time used on phone, and on computer, but not data.
    Monitoring what monies are spent on. He gets an allowance and usually only buys things online through Amazone, wifes account, wo we know from that.

Full knowledge and understanding as to why we monitor. I believe if he fully understands why we would do such, he sees it more as us making sure all is cool, instead of it being some form of punishment. My kid may be a tad different though, and maybe from aspergers. He lives and breathes online, mostly playing games on Steam. He's perfect with his homework and grades, mostly. He's never done anything really to lose our trust, or to give us reason to monitor him like a hawk.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Full knowledge and understanding as to why we monitor. I believe if he fully understands why we would do such, he sees it more as us making sure all is cool, instead of it being some form of punishment. My kid may be a tad different though, and maybe from aspergers. He lives and breathes online, mostly playing games on Steam. He's perfect with his homework and grades, mostly. He's never done anything really to lose our trust, or to give us reason to monitor him like a hawk.
    You were allowed to procreate? God we ARE doomed now ....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

You were allowed to procreate? God we ARE doomed now ....
    And I think I may have created a mini-me as well. Sometimes I get SO frustrated with him that I need to just walk away. Maybe come upstairs here and take a deep breath. His way of arguing, and refusing to back down, is a little like his Daddy. Kinda hard to tell the kid he's wrong when he's doing things just like dear old Dad.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    And I think I may have created a mini-me as well. Sometimes I get SO frustrated with him that I need to just walk away. Maybe come upstairs here and take a deep breath. His way of arguing, and refusing to back down, is a little like his Daddy. Kinda hard to tell the kid he's wrong when he's doing things just like dear old Dad.
    Should meet my daughter.

She just got married again yesterday and as usual, she knows how to pick 'em like I do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Common examples;
    Opening posted mail,

I've never had a reason to snoop through my children's mail or phone records.

I do keep tabs on where they go and who they go with. It's better to stop bad behavior before it happens than clean up the mess afterwards. My two oldest are now in college, so things have changed. I've told them I don't bail them out of jail, so be smart about what they're doing.

I have been known to nose around their rooms if I suspect they aren't being truthful or I'm worried that they've gotten themselves into trouble that they're not telling me about. But this has only happened 2 or 3 times....not to shabby when you consider I have 4 kids. 3 of whom are teenagers right now.

22. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Reading phone/online messages: YES - Always maintain authority to check on young teens

Opening posted mail: For minors yes - might be illegal when older

Going though their living area: HELL to the YES. Parents who don't do this don't love their kids

Keeping tabs on where they spend time, who with etc: I have to know the parents of anyone my kids visit regularly or goes out with.

Monitoring what monies are spent on: Plastic Only - Paper money? Naw.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

24. Thanks Gunny thanked this post