Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I really like the film "BRAZIL" I think it's GREAT.
    --Written and Directed by: Terry Gilliam--

But when i saw it in the theater one guy stood up about halfway through it and literally shouted in frustration
    "WHAT KIND OF MOVIE IS THIS!?" and marched out of the theater.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Cannonball Run

Smokey and the Bandit

Any Which Way But Loose

Blues Brothers - very old movie, but still one of the greatest car chase scenes in history! Plus, Ackroyd and Belushi were great in it.

The Book of Eli

Django Unchained
    I see you like those "cerebral" films.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

McClintock!
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    A lot of his movies are. The Birds. Vertigo. There is a movie in which Gregory Peck has amnesia I can't recall the name of.

Pun intended?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Depends. I like horror films from the 20s 30s and 40s. Once they turned into slasher flicks I'm out. Being gross and offensive just to be gross and offensive with no real plot? Nah.

If you want a movie with meaning, watch Metropolis. Was made around 1920 but it is a PERFECT prediction of what we have become.

I love the 60's Vincent Price, etc., horror movies. They are cheesy and fun; never any gore or slasher junk.

My absolute fave was the original House on Haunted Hill. (The remake was awful).
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I love the 60's Vincent Price, etc., horror movies. They are cheesy and fun; never any gore or slasher junk.

My absolute fave was the original House on Haunted Hill. (The remake was awful).
    I have that movie.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Torture movies are the best, like Hostel and Saw. There are some good foreign flicks like that too. Then you have classics like the disgusting "human centipede" flicks, Martyrs, The Experiment was great. swapping out prisoners with the guards and see how it plays out, Funny Games, 100 feet, Vile...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, Jackie brown.

Jackie Brown is the needle in the haystack

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    That ban was lifted like 15 years ago, following Kubricks death.
    Noir has to be right about that. I watched Clockwork Orange a couple of years ago ... shown by the BBC. Maybe it was edited down .. but it was definitely shown.

An old favourite of mine was & is Omega Man. In fact, I can't think of any Charlton Heston film I've ever watched that hasn't been good (the original Planet of the Apes, for example).

V for Vendetta is another favourite. Actually an American film, though set entirely in a dystopian future Britain. I'd challenge anyone to recognise it as American .. even so, the Wachowski Brothers (Matrix trilogy) were behind its action scenes.

Or, Vincent Price movies ... the Dr Phibes ones are great (tongue-in-cheek humour).

How about the Quatermass ones ? The BBC has just shown Quatermass & The Pit.

For sheer, priceless comedy, I'd recommend 'I'm All Right Jack' to anyone. Made by the Boulting Brothers, it was an anti-Union film - the Boulting Bros felt the need to speak out, even then (late Fifties) against British Trade Union lunacy. A Peter Sellers comedy.

Currently, I like any / all Hunger Games movies ...
    Last edited by Drummond; 10-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Noir has to be right about that. I watched Clockwork Orange a couple of years ago ... shown by the BBC. Maybe it was edited down .. but it was definitely shown.

An old favourite of mine was & is Omega Man. In fact, I can't think of any Charlton Heston film I've ever watched that hasn't been good (the original Planet of the Apes, for example).

V for Vendetta is another favourite. Actually an American film, though set entirely in a dystopian future Britain. I'd challenge anyone to recognise it as American .. even so, the Wachowski Brothers (Matrix trilogy) were behind its action scenes.

Or, Vincent Price movies ... the Dr Phibes ones are great (tongue-in-cheek humour).

How about the Quatermass ones ? The BBC has just shown Quatermass & The Pit.

For sheer, priceless comedy, I'd recommend 'I'm All Right Jack' to anyone. Made by the Boulting Brothers, it was an anti-Union film - the Boulting Bros felt the need to speak out, even then (late Fifties) against British Trade Union lunacy. A Peter Sellers comedy.

Currently, I like any / all Hunger Games movies ...
    I didn't understand V for Vendetta until I looked up who and what it was about. Didn't care for it anyway.

Charleton Heston and Burt Lancaster had unique qualities. BOTH actors made something out of nothing. They took lousy movies and made them into something on sheer personality.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Drummond, I am so happy you are still with us. I just wanted to get that out there.

Anyway, I have a question fer ya. You and I have discussed how I have a hearing problem that is a learning disability. I struggle to understand foreign languages like what you speak in Britain . Do you Brits struggle to understand American English?
    Last edited by Perianne; 10-28-2015 at 02:09 PM.

15. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    Drummond, I am so happy you are still with us. I just wanted to get that out there.

Anyway, I have a question fer ya. You and I have discussed how I have a hearing problem that is a learning disability. I struggle to understand foreign languages like what you speak in Britain . Do you Brit struggle to understand American English?
    Was he going somewhere?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Was he going somewhere?
    He went bye-bye for a little while. You know how it is, a week without Drummond is a week .... Tyr, finish this poetic sentence for me, please.

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

That's sweet of you, Perianne. Thank you !

Anyway, I have a question fer ya. You and I have discussed how I have a hearing problem that is a learning disability. I struggle to understand foreign languages like what you speak in Britain .
    You are, of course, referring to Welsh ... ... which definitely qualifies as a foreign language (and then some). That's beside the fact that I've been living in Wales for several years, now, and tried to learn it. I failed miserably ...

Not that it matters - Welsh is a dying language, and only a fairly small percentage of even the Welsh can speak it !

I can manage 'Bore Da' (Welsh greeting, meaning 'Good Morning' .. the 'e' in 'Bore' is accented). Just. I've been told I have a talent for pronouncing Welsh (though that's probably with a trace of a Cockney accent, as I'm from north London, originally) .. just not understanding any of it ...

Do you Brit struggle to understand American English?
    Basically 'no'. The type of accent normally associated with 'hillbilly-speak', maybe, otherwise, I'd have to say no, and I think that's true of Brits generally. An American accent is easier on the ears than many British ones are, even to me. I struggle with the Geordie accent, for example (North-east England, around Newcastle, Tyne & Wear), or maybe the more impenetrable Scottish variations.

I've seen both the British and American versions of the Jeremy Kyle show. I can honestly say that the American version is easier on the ears than the Brit one !
    Last edited by Drummond; 10-28-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

20. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

He went bye-bye for a little while. You know how it is, a week without Drummond is a week .... Tyr, finish this poetic sentence for me, please.
    We ALL have our things to deal with. I vanish when the baby gets dropped in my lap. And I usually don't get any notice. And there are about 4 boards that are duplicates of Jim's original board. The people bounce around. Just depends on who your "friends" are and who is "mad at you".

Besides. Drummond has not submitted an AA form requesting a transfer (which would be denied) so he isn't allowed to even die without permission.

22. Thanks Perianne thanked this post