Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
Even if i don't agree with her political views, I can appreciate the effort she took to poetically frame the commentary as well as she did.
it's not easy and she did a very nice job.

and personally i have no problem with her invective.

Personally i would not advise her to
simply turn it down.
But for her to understand that she CAN turn it up or down and that at various levels it will get different reactions.
That the tone itself is part of the voice and certain issues are far more sensitive than others and even a mild tone can be taken as an attack.

And I'm no poetry buff myself but I thought one of the points of poetry was to express the POETS feelings of love, hate, angst, outrage frustration, loneliness, hope etc.. Not just to reach a general audience in a pleasant non offensive way.

If this were a journalism piece or historical writing or something then the invective would be inappropriate, but poetry?
I don't understand the motives behind the teacher's comment or the narrowing of the poetic range to rule out politics.

And I'm no poetry buff myself but I thought one of the points of poetry was to express the POETS feelings of love, hate, angst, outrage frustration, loneliness, hope etc.. Not just to reach a general audience in a pleasant non offensive way.

True poetry is about expressing feelings,desires, hopes, wishes, imagination, loves , hates , heart message, soul and /or praise, thanks complaints and mankind's follies, goals, loves, lives, dreams etc..
And as a general rule tis to be done in a positive way.
Yet poetry has always also been about rebellion from the norm,status quo and powers that be too.
For such almost always fights the revelations that poetry brings and the very freedoms it lives and expresses
so adamantly and so well!
In that knowledge, I wanted the poem to stay even though it was a bit too political for the restrictions set for this forum.
And has now been decided by admin here (not by me), the tenants of the previous positives I cited outweigh the objections to and small eruption that resulted upon its first viewings here.
Thus the positives won out in this case.
Personal debates about its authenticity, purpose etc can be and or now relegated to the cage.

The realism in the poem is that it speaks of the great political divide we now have by delving into the acceptance of propaganda over that of truth. Always a grave danger and almost always the case when government rules and seeks to further restrict the people(We the People)...--Tyr

If this were a journalism piece or historical writing or something then the invective would be inappropriate, but poetry?
I don't understand the motives behind the teacher's comment or the narrowing of the poetic range to rule out politics.
Ahh, restrictions of free speech can be argued in every case under the sun my friend.
To limit this to creative writing,discussion of and commenting on- was the goal set by admin -to keep the political and personal fighting out. Thus not have another cage here methinks.

Thats my take on it, as I set none of the rules/restrictions.
Admin here may feel differently and/or add more splaining etc. ..
I just happen to be the monkey holding the keys in this room and writing a bit while doing so Rev. -Tyr