I generally don't change my vehicles oil anymore myself. I'd rather pay someone else to do it.

But I change my own oil in the boat's Ford 302, and this Summer I had a friend that did a backflip off a truck up on the North Slope and broke both of his elbows and wrists... he was helpless and miserable for a large portion of the Summer, and his new wife probably had to do a few things for him that are unmentionable.

I went over to his house to visit with him and take care of a few things that he couldn't. One of the tasks was to change the oil in his boat's 350 Kodiak.

We changed the oil, greased her up, put the canvas on, and launched in the lake next to his house. He fired her up and we idled out into the middle of the lake. I lifted the doghouse to check the engine as we idled, and there was oil everywhere. Yikes! I yelled at him to shut it down, and we paddled it over to the launch & pulled it back out.

It turns out that the old oil filter had left the gasket on the block when I removed it. Of course, the new filter also had a gasket, so the result was a double-gasketed oil filter that naturally blew out when the engine fired up, spewing all that new Mobil 1 Synthetic all over everything. It was a FRAM filter.

From now on, I'm going to look at the old oil filter coming off the engine and make sure that the gasket is still there. Always before, those were glued securely to the filter, but it appears that's not the case anymore. It took less than 30 seconds to empty all 5 quarts of oil with the double-gasket arrangement, and we were lucky we caught the problem before it destroyed that 350 Kodiak.