Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Civilian Speak vs Military Speak

Told ya' I was getting around to starting this thread.

We, the vets -- and especially those of us that spent career in the military -- don't understand you civilians anymore than you do us. You're always getting your little feelings hurt. Think we don't like you because we carry ourselves in a different way than you do. We always threaten to kill each other several times a day and y'all want to file a lawsuit.

Point is, if you think you make any more sense to us than we do you, think again. I don't understand a LOT of civilian BS mind-think. Y'all are spoiled, pampered brats to me. And I can go on and on about this one. I can make a meal in ONE (count it) pot and eat out of it. Y'all got to trash half the kitchen. Every dish you dirty is a dish that has to be cleaned.

There's a rhyme and a reason to everything for us. We have a plan. Y'all just scatterbrain around, don't care about the consequences of your actions, and wait for someone else to clean up after you. The consequences of OUR actions costs lives.

Y'all need to quit blaming everything on everyone else and take a look in the mirror at WHO is to blame for your actions.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Elessar, Bilgerat, LongTermGuy, Jeff, Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I do make a mess of the kitchen. But my food is sooooo tasty!

4. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    I do make a mess of the kitchen. But my food is sooooo tasty!
    See? Food either sucks to us, or it REALLY sucks. It's fuel. Nothing more. Tasty is not in my vocabulary. What I NEED is.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    See? Food either sucks to us, or it REALLY sucks. It's fuel. Nothing more. Tasty is not in my vocabulary. What I NEED is.
    Gunny, you silly monkey!! Don't you enjoy Thanksgiving dinner? If you never have before, then I need to send you some good food.

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Gunny, you silly monkey!! Don't you enjoy Thanksgiving dinner? If you never have before, then I need to send you some good food.
    Actually, no. I don't appreciate any kind of hog fest. I usually eat about 6-8 times a day, and small portions. I've done it for so long I can't eat even a whole plate of food at one time. I weight 200 pounds and just one of these girls can scarf down more in one sitting than I can.

I don't appreciate Thanksgiving at all. I hate turkey and I REALLY hate carving it. I usually manage to scrounge up some ham for me. When I was younger and could work out 4 hours a day I could eat anything in sight. I just got out of the habit of eating like that. I'm not even a deal at an all you can eat buffet anymore. Maybe Chinese or seafood, but Golden Corral is no deal. They'd have hated me in my 20s. Got asked to leave an all you can eat shrimp deal at Sizzler once.

I just have different eating habits than civilians who like to load themselves to gills 3 times a day. If y'all had to get up and move in the field you'd be puking all over the place.

10. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Actually, no. I don't appreciate any kind of hog fest. I usually eat about 6-8 times a day, and small portions. I've done it for so long I can't eat even a whole plate of food at one time. I weight 200 pounds and just one of these girls can scarf down more in one sitting than I can.

I don't appreciate Thanksgiving at all. I hate turkey and I REALLY hate carving it. I usually manage to scrounge up some ham for me. When I was younger and could work out 4 hours a day I could eat anything in sight. I just got out of the habit of eating like that. I'm not even a deal at an all you can eat buffet anymore. Maybe Chinese or seafood, but Golden Corral is no deal. They'd have hated me in my 20s. Got asked to leave an all you can eat shrimp deal at Sizzler once.

I just have different eating habits than civilians who like to load themselves to gills 3 times a day. If y'all had to get up and move in the field you'd be puking all over the place.
    I understand, sir. And again, I appreciate your service and what you have had to do.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I understand, sir. And again, I appreciate your service and what you have had to do.
    It's not about that. First, I'm not a "sir". I'm a Gunnery Sergeant. We work for a living. Officers who hang at the O Club and on the golf course are "sir's".

Second, my point is the difference in how we speak -- our cultures. I was pointing out the fact that y'all (not YOU specifically) never understand what we are saying. Other side of the coin is, we look at y'all with cocked head like little puppies. It's like WHAT can you be thinking.

And I admit, I'm worse than most. I grew up in the military then was in it. I wasn't out until I was 40 years old. And my dad was harder on us than any Marine I ever met. First Marine I got in a fight with I was 14 or 15 and I was holding my own and my dad suddenly showed up. The Air Force MSgt won. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't get my temper out of the sky.

I've also said more than once I make a lousy civilian. It's not a blame game though. We do what we do, and y'all do what you do. I just can't figure most of you out.

For instance, you mentioned Thanksgiving. Y'all pig out til your stuffed, then plop on the sofa and watch the Cowboys lose. My brain is: if I have to get up and fight I have to be able to move.

And you don't have to thank me for my service. I know who is and isn't sincere. For the most part anyway. This thread's more of an explanation of the differences between us.

14. Thanks Perianne, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

It's not about that. First, I'm not a "sir". I'm a Gunnery Sergeant. We work for a living. Officers who hang at the O Club and on the golf course are "sir's".

Second, my point is the difference in how we speak -- our cultures. I was pointing out the fact that y'all (not YOU specifically) never understand what we are saying. Other side of the coin is, we look at y'all with cocked head like little puppies. It's like WHAT can you be thinking.

And I admit, I'm worse than most. I grew up in the military then was in it. I wasn't out until I was 40 years old. And my dad was harder on us than any Marine I ever met. First Marine I got in a fight with I was 14 or 15 and I was holding my own and my dad suddenly showed up. The Air Force MSgt won. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't get my temper out of the sky.

I've also said more than once I make a lousy civilian. It's not a blame game though. We do what we do, and y'all do what you do. I just can't figure most of you out.

For instance, you mentioned Thanksgiving. Y'all pig out til your stuffed, then plop on the sofa and watch the Cowboys lose. My brain is: if I have to get up and fight I have to be able to move.

And you don't have to thank me for my service. I know who is and isn't sincere. For the most part anyway. This thread's more of an explanation of the differences between us.
    Maybe you don't understand it and don't want it, but I always call men I respect "sir". Including you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I understand the eating habits.

When I worked in Command Centers on 12 hours shifts, there was no guarantee of
    going to the galley and getting something.

I ate before I left home and always carried stuff to nibble on while on watch.
    Some times we were so busy, I could not even do that. I had to wait until I got home.

Aye....a different lifestyle all together.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Maybe you don't understand it and don't want it, but I always call men I respect "sir". Including you.
    Which is kind of my point. We speak differently. I always call civilians "sir" or "ma'am". Been locked onto THAT since before I remember. In military-speak, only officers are sir or ma'am. Unless you're a Drill Instructor. If a troop called me sir, there was an ass-chewing on the horizon.

I didn't take offense and I was just at you. But it DOES bear out the point of the thread, right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I understand the eating habits.

When I worked in Command Centers on 12 hours shifts, there was no guarantee of
    going to the galley and getting something.

I ate before I left home and always carried stuff to nibble on while on watch.
    Some times we were so busy, I could not even do that. I had to wait until I got home.

Aye....a different lifestyle all together.
    Trying to give me flashbacks? You know, last float I was on I got $20 for a can a peaches and $40 for a can of Copenhagen. From the XO, no less. And I don't even dip.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Trying to give me flashbacks? You know, last float I was on I got $20 for a can a peaches and $40 for a can of Copenhagen. From the XO, no less. And I don't even dip.
    Well...I certainly do not envy the MRE's that you had to use.

But Dad brought some K-Rations back from England and 'Nam.
    Some of them were not half bad!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

21. Thanks Gunny, Drummond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Well...I certainly do not envy the MRE's that you had to use.

But Dad brought some K-Rations back from England and 'Nam.
    Some of them were not half bad!
    I used to pack ziploc bags full of protein powder once they went to MRE's. I couldn't stand them. It was another one of somebody's "great idea" to feed us only the amount of calories it takes to sustain about a 5'1" 120 lb person. I was a powerlifter. During Desert Storm we got 2 MRE's a day. Screw all that. Gimme back my c-rats. My bones alone weigh more than 120 pounds and you have to get a damned waiver to get in at 5'!" and 120 pounds anyway. I was that size by 6th grade.

23. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Another thing I don't get ... I was questioned for eating stuff out of a can. Let's see, one empty can and plastic fork. Dishes are DONE. Y'all have to wreck half the kitchen to make ONE dish. As "Robot" used to say in Lost in Space: "Does not compute."

25. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Y'all need to quit blaming everything on everyone else and take a look in the mirror at WHO is to blame for your actions.
    What is the use of having a man around if you can't blame stuff on him?

27. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy, Elessar thanked this post