Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default My daughter has a date on Saturday

I have just been notified that my 9th grade daughter has a date on Saturday. Not a "meet up with other kids" thing or a "let's go to homecoming" occasion.
    A real live date where the guy (an 11th grader) comes by to pick her up and take her out for the evening.

I am officially terrified.
    Last edited by gabosaurus; 11-06-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Make sure she wears this.......

You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

3. Thanks jimnyc, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Weird...

How old do you need to be to drive out there? I thought I didn't get my license till later than that. What's their plans and where they going? It's weird you say that, as Jordan also has a date on saturday. His we are just dropping him off at her house in Darien, CT. More like a visit to play computer games and monopoly, with the parents in full view. Then a group friends get together on sunday. Which is awesome, as I get rid of him for the game!!

I don't trust kids driving at that age, all too retarded still. I know I did it, and that's exactly why I say what I do!! And yes, I know the kids need to learn sometime, but no need to practice at nighttime while my kid is in the car!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

In typical teen fashion, the guy asked Friday afternoon and my daughter accepted. I was then informed by text.
    You have to be 16 to get a driver's license. I believe this guy just turned 17. I don't know him, but my daughter is fairly discerning and does not suffer fools lightly. Teen dates here usually involve dinner and a movie.

Jim, isn't your son around 17? I am sure he is well disciplined considering his family background.

V4R's T-shirt made me LMAO. I need to find one for my husband.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    In typical teen fashion, the guy asked Friday afternoon and my daughter accepted. I was then informed by text.
    You have to be 16 to get a driver's license. I believe this guy just turned 17. I don't know him, but my daughter is fairly discerning and does not suffer fools lightly. Teen dates here usually involve dinner and a movie.

Jim, isn't your son around 17? I am sure he is well disciplined considering his family background.

V4R's T-shirt made me LMAO. I need to find one for my husband.
    Jordan turns 15 on the 28th of this month. He's been nagging about driving for like 3 years now. He seems to think I can change the DMV's mind somehow. As for dating, he is like me, a big big mouth on the internet and texting and such, but then the quietest shyest guy in the world as soon as he is alone with a girl or 2. But also similar to me, as soon as he is prodded to open up, you'll look for a way to stick him back in the jar and get rid of him.

Dinner and a movie is cool. Use psychology to make sure they aren't up to no good. Ask for picture of the coolest meal ever that she got. Same for the movie and everything else. Maybe accidentally call just once. Hiring a neighborhood kid $10 to follow them is up to you.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Have you met the guy Gabo?
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
    -George Orwell

Hegelian Dialectic
    Problem-Reaction-Solution

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Brinkley View Post
    Have you met the guy Gabo?
    I have not. But he has to come by and pick her up. We insist on meeting all guys she goes out with and she is OK with that.
    My dad didn't shadow my dates (his mistake ) and I will not do it. I told my daughter that I will trust her as long as she gives me reason to.

10. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have not. But he has to come by and pick her up. We insist on meeting all guys she goes out with and she is OK with that.
    My dad didn't shadow my dates (his mistake ) and I will not do it. I told my daughter that I will trust her as long as she gives me reason to.
    http://www.zazzle.com/protective+dad+tshirts
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

"He's a nice guy, mom. You and Dad will like him."

The fact that my sister and I used to say the same thing does not make me feel more comfortable.

13. Thanks Jeff, PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Good luck to the young lady, and yes I bet you are scared to death. I have boys ( 13 and 14 ) and am scared every time they go out on a date, I remember my dates at that age and well hell they are to young to play house.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I have just been notified that my 9th grade daughter has a date on Saturday. Not a "meet up with other kids" thing or a "let's go to homecoming" occasion.
    A real live date where the guy (an 11th grader) comes by to pick her up and take her out for the evening.

Have to meet dad to date MY daughter. And I do the "official terrifying".

Don't you worry a tad about this .45 I'm cleaning boy. What time you bringing the princess back?
    Last edited by Gunny; 11-07-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Well, that was certainly unexpected.

The parents of the guy who is taking out my daughter tonight called this morning and asked my husband and I over to their home for lunch. So we went over and met them.
    They were quite a proper duo, very (to my husband's pleasure) Republican. The husband works in offshore oil and gas exploration. They were rather suspicious of us, so I allowed my husband to do the majority of the talking.
    They have not yet met our daughter. Which is probably for the best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Your brave, I didn't let any of my kids start going on single dates until they were 16. Group dates and parents dropping them off at the movies or where ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Your brave, I didn't let any of my kids start going on single dates until they were 16. Group dates and parents dropping them off at the movies or where ever.
    My dad tried that. My ever rebellious sister just went out without telling anyone.

I allowed it starting this year. Providing that we get to meet the guy first. This is actually the first non-group date she has been on.
    I don't feel near as anxious after meeting the guy. He put up a good front, but my husband could tell the poor guy was petrified. Probably had an upsetting prior experience dating some Marine dad's daughter.
    He was very polite and respectful. He has a 10 pm curfew, so I didn't bother asking when they would be back.

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Of what?