Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default 'This Week'

I thought this might be worth sharing.

Unfortunately there's no recording of it I can post here ... the BBC's iPlayer won't play to anyone outside the UK, and I don't know of any podcast I can link to. However .. I have it loaded on my TV as I type, and I'm going to type a transcript, here, of what the soundtrack said, as I replay it.

[By way of introduction: 'This Week' (as Christie B will no doubt confirm) is a late evening current affairs programme the BBC transmits, with its 'anchor-person' one Andrew Neil, one of our more successful British journalists, broadcaster and one-time newspaper editor. Never one to particularly pull his punches, he let loose with (certainly by the BBC's standards !) an anti-IS 'tirade' to open his programme last night. One apparently aimed directly at the terrorists.]

Here's what he said (a few French names omitted, because I haven't a prayer in being able to spell them) .....

'Evening all, welcome to This Week. A week in which a bunch of loser Jihadists slaughtered 132 innocents in Paris, to prove 'the future belongs to them', rather than a civilisation like France.

Well, I can't say I fancy their chances.

France - the country of Descartes, Monet, Sartre, Renoir, Berlioz, Cezanne, Gauguin, Hugo, Voltaire, Matisse, Debussey, Bizet, Pasteur, Moliere, Franck, Zola, Planck .. cutting-edge science, world class medicine, fearsome security forces, nuclear power, Coco Chanel, Chateau Lafitte, Coq au Vin, Daft Punk, Liberte Egalite Fraternite, and Creme Brulee !

.. Versus ... WHAT ?

Beheadings. Crucifixions. Amputations. Slavery, mass murder. Medieval squalour and death cult barbarity that would shame the Middle Ages. Whether ISIS, Daesh, or ISIL, or whatever name you're going by ... I'm saying I'll call you IS .. as in Islamist Scumbags.

I think that the outcome of all this is pretty clear to everyone but you. Whatever atrocities you are currently capable of committing, YOU WILL LOSE. In a thousand years time, Paris, that glorious city of light, will still be shining bright, as will every other city like it. While -- you will be as dust, along with the ragbag of Fascists, Nazis and Stalinists who have previously dared to challenge Democracy ... AND FAILED.
    Trust me. This, transmitted by the BBC, is pretty strong stuff by their standards .. I'm surprised Andrew N didn't find himself subjected to disciplinary proceedings for it ! Maybe he escaped them by managing to be loyal to the BBC directive that the word 'terrorist' not be initiated by a BBC employee in broadcasts .. ?

Andrew Neil normally just introduces his programme, introduces his guests, and gets on with it. This was definitely a departure from procedure for him !

I say - good for him ! 'Way to go' Andrew !!
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-20-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!