Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    From all I've read, it's not on the reservation. And I don't think they have 'sacred burial sites' off the reservation, do they?
    They claim it's too close to it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    There's a hippie living down the street, which is entirely too close, and I haven't burned any cars. Yet.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

3. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

There is a cemetery I visit that has a D&D about 50-100 feet across a small street, and has a Mcdonalds just adjacent to one side. Another one where I grew up is alongside a highway, and houses surrounding the other 3 sides. Every cemetery I pretty much see has housing around it and businesses right there. There's no such thing as "too close to it" unless you're a fraidy cat at night!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Are they are worried about a pipe bursting and spilling into the burial ground?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    There's a hippie living down the street, which is entirely too close, and I haven't burned any cars. Yet.
    I'll send you a safety pin.

8. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I'll send you a safety pin.
    My very first participation trophy!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

An oldie:

Do you know why they build fences around cemeteries?

Everyone is dying to get in.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

11. Thanks Black Diamond, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    An oldie:

Do you know why they build fences around cemeteries?

Everyone is dying to get in.

Yuckedy yuck yuck.

13. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

They can maybe even do similar to this one!!

I grew up going to a flea market just by me. The "US 1 Flea Market" was around my entire life, and they finally were taken over by a ciniplex theater about 10 years ago. Anyway, the entire time visiting this market - I had to pass by the "cemetery" each time, which was right in the parking lot!! Ok, maybe not cemetery. But a plot, and to give you and idea - in America - you will NOT NOT NOT NOT ever win a case over wanting space between a cemetery and anything else. Almost every single one is "near" something, or closer.

Anyway, here is the market signs from Route 1, and looks like they were taken when I was a kid! LOL

And the burial site.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

"Weird" and more about it. And my math was off, they killed off the market in '94.

It's original appearance:

And then as the theater was being built (imagine the native Americans being here, would they allow a movie theater to literally surround their grounds?)

The Final Parking Place of Mary Ellis

For the past 186 years Mary Ellis has resided on what she probably thought would always be a stately piece of property overlooking the scenic Raritan River. In actuality though, Mary had really just been monopolizing a prime parking space for the better part of the Twentieth Century. The legend of how poor Mary came to rest beneath the asphalt of the Loews Theater parking lot on Route 1 in New Brunswick is a romantic, and ultimately tragic story, not unlike a Bronte novel.

As the story goes, Mary Ellis came to New Brunswick in the 1790’s to stay with her younger sister Margaret. It was around this time that she met and fell in love with a man who was a sea captain, and former Revolutionary War officer. The Captain sailed down the Raritan and out to sea one day, vowing that when he returned he and Mary would be wed. He even left her his beloved horse to look after in his absence.

Every day after her captain’s departure, Mary would ride his horse from her sister’s house, on what is now Livingston Avenue, down to the banks of the river to eagerly await a glimpse of her lover’s returning ship. In 1813, she purchased a parcel of farmland overlooking the river from which she would maintain her daily vigil. Mary died there fourteen years later in 1828, still faithfully anticipating her captain’s return. She was buried on the property, and was eventually joined by with her sister and other family members, and according to local lore, the captain’s horse.

The plot, which was originally surrounded by an ornate wrought iron fence, lay in a rural, wooded setting well into the mid-20th Century. Over the years the ownership of the land changed hands several times, and the neighboring area has given bloom to a blight of strip malls, and discount outlets. Mary’s farm was paved over, and for many years was the site of the Route 1 Flea Market.

Stranded high and dry in the Market parking lot, Mary’s four-foot-high grave remained adrift in a sea of tarmac and bargain hunter-mobiles. For most of that time the small, grassy island was enclosed by a chain-link fence and sporadically maintained by Mary’s descendants. Often though, the weeds on the plot were so tall that one could park right next to the grave without even noticing the two-and-a-half-foot tall marble head stone inside.

After the demolition of the Route 1 Flea Market some twenty years ago the property was redeveloped and became the Loews Cineplex. The parking lot was re-graded, making Mary’s grave stand even taller than before. Still parked in a prime spot, Mary’s grave has been given a new retaining wall, and a few small trees have even been planted close by. The final resting-place of Mary Ellis seems to have been given an extended lease. It’s just too bad the theater isn’t a drive-in.

A curious side note to the story of the parking lot grave is that it was believed by many to be the inspiration for the 1972 AM radio smash hit “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)” by the band Looking Glass. The local rumor was that the band, which was formed at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, wrote and recorded the song as an ode to Mary Ellis. “Brandy,” according to the song’s lyrics, was in love with a ship captain who could not leave his true love, the sea, to marry her. Sounds like a familiar tale, doesn’t it? Look Glass band members have denied there is any connection between “Brandy” and Mary.

Rest here - http://weirdnj.com/stories/cemetery-...ing-lot-grave/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan