Thread: NCAA - Belpot.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default NCAA - Belpot.

For any followers of College Hockey - Four North Eastern teams are holding a 'Belpot' competition (also known as 'the friendship four, ew!) this week in Belfast, as far as I'm aware it's the first time NCAA games have been played outside of the states, and follows on from a few years ago when the Boston Bruins played in Belfast.

A stream to view the games will be available online, and via TSN for anyone interested

Friday 27th November Brown and Colgate Universities from the Eastern College Athletics Conference (ECAC) will battle it out for divisional points, with Northeastern University and University of Massachusetts Lowell also going head to head in a an all important Hockey East rivalry.Saturday 28th November will get underway with a 3rd/4th consolation game featuring the two losing teams from Friday before the grand final on Saturday evening where the two winners from the pervious day will compete to be first to get their hands on the Belpot Trophy.Aside from trophies and bragging rights, the outcome of both games on Saturday count in the teams cross conference standings so high tempo, hard hitting hockey can be expected all weekend long.

http://www.belfastgiants.com/archive...n-sale-friday/
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

2. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    For any followers of College Hockey - Four North Eastern teams are holding a 'Belpot' competition (also known as 'the friendship four, ew!) this week in Belfast, as far as I'm aware it's the first time NCAA games have been played outside of the states, and follows on from a few years ago when the Boston Bruins played in Belfast.

A stream to view the games will be available online, and via TSN for anyone interested

http://www.belfastgiants.com/archive...n-sale-friday/[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I've watched about 3 minutes of hockey total in my entire life. I'm not planning on increasing those 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Haven't watched even a minute of soccer. Not planning on changing that record either.

Why don't y'all damned limeys put rugby on the tube? THAT I could watch. Those guys look like real athletes.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I've watched about 3 minutes of hockey total in my entire life. I'm not planning on increasing those 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Haven't watched even a minute of soccer. Not planning on changing that record either.

Why don't y'all damned limeys put rugby on the tube? THAT I could watch. Those guys look like real athletes.
    Im not a Limey - That aside our local Rugby team are a pretty good one and most weekends you'd be able to watch Ulster vs X via BBC Northern Ireland. So if you have a way to view iPlayer as if from Northern Ireland, via proxy, you should be able to view weekly rugby online.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

One game down, Brown beat Colgate 5-0. No contest after Colgate looked the stronger in the first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I had to look it up, as I had no idea really either! Who knew it was originally "lime juicer"

---

Limey is a predominantly North American slang nickname for Britons, specifically people from England.

The term is thought to have originated in the 1850s as "lime-juicer",[3] and was later shortened to "limey".[4] It was originally used as a derogatory word for sailors in the Royal Navy, because of the Royal Navy's practice since the beginning of the 19th century of adding lemon juice or lime juice to the sailors' daily ration of watered-down rum (known as grog), in order to prevent scurvy. Initially, it was actually lemon juice that was used as the additive to grog on the British Royal Navy ships, and at the time, the terms "lemon" and "lime" were used interchangeably to refer to citrus fruits.[5] The ascorbic acid content of lemons helped make these sailors some of the healthiest at the time due to Vitamin C's ability to prevent scurvy.[2] However, the British Navy eventually switched from lemons (imported from Europe) to limes (grown in British colonies), not realizing that limes did not contain sufficient Vitamin C, thus lending a somewhat ironic twist to the "limey" appellation.[6]

Eventually, the term lost its naval connection and was used to denote British people in general. In the 1880s, it was used to refer to British immigrants in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.[4] Although the term may have been used earlier in the U.S. Navy as a slang word for a British sailor or a British warship, such usage was not documented until 1918.[4] By 1925, its usage in American English had been extended to mean any Englishman, and the expression was so commonly known that it was used in American newspaper headlines.[4] In contemporary times in the USA it is often used as a derogatory term for people from England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Btw, Rangers are 16-4 and are better than ya all limeys!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Im not a Limey - That aside our local Rugby team are a pretty good one and most weekends you'd be able to watch Ulster vs X via BBC Northern Ireland. So if you have a way to view iPlayer as if from Northern Ireland, via proxy, you should be able to view weekly rugby online.
    If I'm a gun-totin' redneck, Southern white Christian male .. you're a limey. Get over it.

My point is, I want to see sports where men are men. Not some gay-ass crap. Hockey was a yankee sport because they have ice. Goes back to the Southern thing. When they came out with hockey in the South I did and still do think it's ridiculous. And the whole game is absurd. Dress up in a suit of armour and go beat on each other chasing a Hostess Ding Dong with a stick. There's no strategy to the game. It's more like let's see who can catch the greased pig.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

UMass Lowell River Hawks beat the Northeastern Huskies 3-2 in overtime, after coming back from 1-2 down in the final minute of regulation. Championship games tomorrow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

If I'm a gun-totin' redneck, Southern white Christian male .. you're a limey. Get over it.

My point is, I want to see sports where men are men. Not some gay-ass crap. Hockey was a yankee sport because they have ice. Goes back to the Southern thing. When they came out with hockey in the South I did and still do think it's ridiculous. And the whole game is absurd. Dress up in a suit of armour and go beat on each other chasing a Hostess Ding Dong with a stick. There's no strategy to the game. It's more like let's see who can catch the greased pig.
    Ever watch Australian Rules Football? That...is Rough!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Northeast blow Colgate out of the water 7-1 in the runnerup game, 10 mins to faceoff of the Brown/UMass game, lets go Riverhawks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Ever watch Australian Rules Football? That...is Rough!
    EXACTLY! And eerily like we played football when I was a kid. We go out barefoot in shorts and whatever shirt you chose to not want anymore and we beat the crap out of each other. I wonder whatever happened to just being tough and taking instead of mommy filing a frivolous lawsuit?

14. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

UMass win!
    After a great game where they twice squandered a 2 goal lead, Brown took the lead 5-4 in the third, and for the second night in a row UMass scored in the final 2 mins -net minder pulled- to take it to overtime. With UMass scoring the only goal in penalty shots.

They also announced the Belpot would be returning in 2016

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

EXACTLY! And eerily like we played football when I was a kid. We go out barefoot in shorts and whatever shirt you chose to not want anymore and we beat the crap out of each other. I wonder whatever happened to just being tough and taking instead of mommy filing a frivolous lawsuit?
    Ohhh...we used to beat the dogshit out of each other. All Mom's would do was hand
    us a bar of soap and bandaid us!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

It's that time of year again!

This year we have the St. Lawerence Saints, Quinnipiac Bobcats, Vermont Catamounts, and Massachusetts Minutemen contesting the cup.

Tonight is UMass vs Vermont, and St Lawrence vs Quinnipiac.
    Game on

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Vermont win the first game 4-2 against UMass
    After UMasss took a 2-0 lead in the first, Vermont tied it up 2-2 by the end of the second, and took the lead midway through the third, Empty net goal with 2 seconds to go flattered a very tight game.