Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

My husband did not want to go through serious back surgery last summer. He was afraid it would hamper his ability to work. A doctor told him if he did not have surgery, he wouldn't be able to sit up, much less work at a desk job. That convinced him.

Perianne is right about not all surgeons having the same skill. He had his surgery done at the Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis.

2. Thanks PixieStix thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    ^^^ Couldn't agree more with AT. He knows what he's talking about. There's simply no reason to live in pain these days. Still think about things of course, but today's technology is great. I went in for my spinal surgery on my neck. Arrived at like 5am, was done and WALKING out of there at like 11am. Scary of course, and had to have some recovery and a little pain, but 5 hours and walking out? And after the recovery for the wound, that was it from that disc - pain gone.
    I have to disagree with that. I'm still capable of everything I've ever been able to do. I just suck up the pain. To have the surgeries requires a year of convalescence each where I would be pretty much helpless. I'd rather hurt than be helpless.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I have to disagree with that. I'm still capable of everything I've ever been able to do. I just suck up the pain. To have the surgeries requires a year of convalescence each where I would be pretty much helpless. I'd rather hurt than be helpless.
    I can't speak for these other surgeries. My decision was easier. I walked out of the hospital on the same day. Was back on my feet, although in pain, the next day. The pain from the recovery lasted a week or two. All done, no more dealing with pain. And these days I'm pretty confident they can do this with most spinal surgeries, with lasers and other hand aided devices.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I can't speak for these other surgeries. My decision was easier. I walked out of the hospital on the same day. Was back on my feet, although in pain, the next day. The pain from the recovery lasted a week or two. All done, no more dealing with pain. And these days I'm pretty confident they can do this with most spinal surgeries, with lasers and other hand aided devices.
    Not if they have to fuse your spine. They basically cut you in half and put you back together with some nuts and bolts and steel plates. In my case, both a hip and knee replacement require removal of the limb. You can't do crap for a year in each case. I know people who have undergone both surgeries. And I ain't sitting on no damn pansy-ass foam potty seat to make sure my knees don't go above my waist. I'd rather crawl on my hands.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Not if they have to fuse your spine. They basically cut you in half and put you back together with some nuts and bolts and steel plates. In my case, both a hip and knee replacement require removal of the limb. You can't do crap for a year in each case. I know people who have undergone both surgeries. And I ain't sitting on no damn pansy-ass foam potty seat to make sure my knees don't go above my waist. I'd rather crawl on my hands.
    Mine was a spinal discectomy w/fusion. They removed the disc from my neck and replaced with a cadaver bone. That bone is then implemented with cool gadgets which fuse the bone and that gadget, and eventually the bone is stronger than the original. The second surgery they also removed the disc, but then replaced it with some weird butterfly hardware device, which they say is stronger than the discs. This also fuses to the bones. You should see my cool x-rays, with "nuts and bolts" looking things running the length of those 2 discs! The doc says they have fully fused now and are stronger than ever.

Hips and knee - totally different ballgame there. No easy way to get past those surgeries, and the rehab and recovery involved.

But for me, worse, is I have degeneration in my neck. I'm confident that 6-7 is going, or 3-4, and that may be another surgery down the road. I don't want anymore though. Just trying to find ways to take care of it and avoid any pain.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Mine was a spinal discectomy w/fusion. They removed the disc from my neck and replaced with a cadaver bone. That bone is then implemented with cool gadgets which fuse the bone and that gadget, and eventually the bone is stronger than the original. The second surgery they also removed the disc, but then replaced it with some weird butterfly hardware device, which they say is stronger than the discs. This also fuses to the bones. You should see my cool x-rays, with "nuts and bolts" looking things running the length of those 2 discs! The doc says they have fully fused now and are stronger than ever.

Hips and knee - totally different ballgame there. No easy way to get past those surgeries, and the rehab and recovery involved.

But for me, worse, is I have degeneration in my neck. I'm confident that 6-7 is going, or 3-4, and that may be another surgery down the road. I don't want anymore though. Just trying to find ways to take care of it and avoid any pain.
    Well, I think Allah needs to fix all this shit so I can go back to work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Well, I think Allah needs to fix all this shit so I can go back to work.
    What? You mean the 72 virgins isn't enough for you?

10. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    1 of 72.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

F- THAT. I want 72 sluts that know what the Hell they're doing.

13. Thanks Black Diamond, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

F- THAT. I want 72 sluts that know what the Hell they're doing.
    Yes, but then, what would be the chances that they'd be virgins ?

You know, if Muslims thought about that more, maybe they'd be less enthusiastic about suicide bombings ?

Then again ... maybe that whole 'burkha' thing makes the 'how do I get to heaven, instead' thing that much more tempting ?
    Last edited by Drummond; 12-14-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

But, but, the real surprise isn't as everybody has been bragging for years. It was actually ONE 72 year old Goat Herder virgin they get for blowing themselves up....ALLAH ACKBAR....HOORAY
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

17. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Wrong Gunny. Sorry to pee on your cheerios here but...having had THREE spinal surgeries myself over many years. The longest convalescence period I had...before going back on ACTIVE DUTY, was three months. The doc's choosing. Not mine.
    And today. Many types of the same surgeries I had back then, can, and are performed as OUTPATIENT operations that take less than a DAY.

I still have Stenosis, but it is virtually Pain Free. Just limited to my age now, and the other meds I take for other things.
    Not having the surgeries to GET RID OF THE PAIN...is just a good excuse to get attention now.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Good luck with your decision, Pixie. I have been putting off fixing a labral tear in my hip for years. Russ can tell you how it has limited me. So, I understand not wanting to go through with it. If you do decide to go ahead, I will pray for your good outcome, if you'd like me to.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

20. Thanks PixieStix, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Wrong Gunny. Sorry to pee on your cheerios here but...having had THREE spinal surgeries myself over many years. The longest convalescence period I had...before going back on ACTIVE DUTY, was three months. The doc's choosing. Not mine.
    And today. Many types of the same surgeries I had back then, can, and are performed as OUTPATIENT operations that take less than a DAY.

I still have Stenosis, but it is virtually Pain Free. Just limited to my age now, and the other meds I take for other things.
    Not having the surgeries to GET RID OF THE PAIN...is just a good excuse to get attention now.
    You had a difference experience. My wife had a spinal fusion and it was like having a 50+ years old baby on my hands. And she was (and is) a total airhead) so getting her to follow directions was like herding cats. I think it has a LOT to do with age and being or not being a wimp. The ex is a total whiny wimp. But that surgery completely destroyed her.

Stepfather had his knees replaced. Jumping off trains for 50 years apparently doesn't agree with them. Also had a friend who had his hip replaced. It's not the same. I'm not in a position to be helpless. And if you recall correctly, you ain't exactly getting cream of the crop for surgeons in the military.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

You had a difference experience. My wife had a spinal fusion and it was like having a 50+ years old baby on my hands. And she was (and is) a total airhead) so getting her to follow directions was like herding cats. I think it has a LOT to do with age and being or not being a wimp. The ex is a total whiny wimp. But that surgery completely destroyed her.

Stepfather had his knees replaced. Jumping off trains for 50 years apparently doesn't agree with them. Also had a friend who had his hip replaced. It's not the same. I'm not in a position to be helpless. And if you recall correctly, you ain't exactly getting cream of the crop for surgeons in the military.

Of course, you're right. You're always right. Why should I bother to think a little friendly advice would make any difference to someone who doesn't want to get friendly advice? Forget all that I said. You know better.
    So, this is for them.