Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fun chat about mods and admins...in general!!!

First off let me say that this thread isn't in reference to any mod or admin here. It's generally speaking. This is just a generalization against a group of people and not a personal attack against anyone in particular. Please, no ad hominem attacks against anyone in this thread. I'm sure a mod or admin will give you the appropriate warnings and/or punishments that other posters have received if you engage in any personal attacks. Let's keep it civil. Just share your experiences and opinions about mods and admins in general.

It's been my experience that the more mods and admins a board has, the worse it is. Especially when a board is slanted to the left or right and everyone is good buddies with one another. Mods or admins who can't moderate and facilitate objectively are the worst though. IMO, mods or admins who engage in personal flame fests at the very hint of disagreement but then hide behind their ability to ban someone when they get it in return are a bunch of pussies. Those are the type of people who probably got their asses kicked everyday in high school and are now using their mod or admin powers to make up for the psychological abuse they took way back then. In fact, I believe those mods and admins who exhibit that type of behavior have a mental illness. Of course, I've no scientific proof that it's a mental illness but based on my experiences with mods and admins, it's my opinion that they might be. People like that should seriously seek help and be cured before they destroy the fabric of society. The next thing you know they're going to want to marry goats and shit. Seriously.

Again, I'm not talking about anyone in particular or even this board, even. Just speaking about a bunch of people in general. Thank God the mods and admins here are such great advocates of free speech and allow us to engage in generalizations about a group of people.

Anyone else got any experiences or stories they'd like to share about mods and admins in general?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Thread reinstated, carry on...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hit the nail right on the head and said it all

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

The single worst action Moderator can take: Acting 'just because' somebody complained. I've had moderators actually say this to me: "I didn't mind what you said...but I got a complaint, so, yeah...had to delete your post."

Wha? WTF, over?

The 2nd worst-action Administrators take is when they include rules which state 'anything offensive regarding somebody's gender, religion (unless it's christianity most of the time - dp), or sexual orientation will not be tolerated.'
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have found MOST moderators to be very laissez faire
    Last edited by darin; 01-29-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Edited out References to dp.com board actions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I have a problem believing that this thread isn't directed to staff here, especially considering your comments so closely resemble your complaints here at DP, but anyway...

Making a relation between someone's moderating ability to their experiences in high school is just silly. Claiming psychological or mental issues about them, if they don't moderate the way you wish, is even more silly. Trying to somehow relate your thread to their gay marriage beliefs is the silliest of them all.

Agreed about the free speech! With all of the bitching and complaining around here - we currently have ZERO banned posters. Threads and/or posts that wouldn't be tolerated on most political boards somehow end up remaining here on this board. Where other boards (DU) simply ban you because of which party you follow, that is not the case here. Where most boards run things the way they see fit, this board solicits thoughts from it's members and does it's best to implement suggestions. Where other boards simply dismiss complaints they receive, this board goes out of it's way to have an 'open door policy', and to try it's best to make members happy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I have a problem believing that this thread isn't directed to staff here, especially considering your comments so closely resemble your complaints here at DP, but anyway...

Making a relation between someone's moderating ability to their experiences in high school is just silly. Claiming psychological or mental issues about them, if they don't moderate the way you wish, is even more silly. Trying to somehow relate your thread to their gay marriage beliefs is the silliest of them all.

Agreed about the free speech! With all of the bitching and complaining around here - we currently have ZERO banned posters. Threads and/or posts that wouldn't be tolerated on most political boards somehow end up remaining here on this board. Where other boards (DU) simply ban you because of which party you follow, that is not the case here. Where most boards run things the way they see fit, this board solicits thoughts from it's members and does it's best to implement suggestions. Where other boards simply dismiss complaints they receive, this board goes out of it's way to have an 'open door policy', and to try it's best to make members happy.

I must admit Jim you are bending over backwards to try to please us and you are doing a fine job of it.I think we members and you admins and mods now have a pretty good idea of the boundaries.It is also nice to know I can rely on you to unban me every time I get banned Infact it may be easier if you check my account every few days and let me back in if I am locked out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
    I must admit Jim you are bending over backwards to try to please us and you are doing a fine job of it.I think we members and you admins and mods now have a pretty good idea of the boundaries.It is also nice to know I can rely on you to unban me every time I get banned Infact it may be easier if you check my account every few days and let me back in if I am locked out
    Just don't take advantage of his good nature.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    Just don't take advantage of his good nature.
    He knows when I am joking.............I hope

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
    He knows when I am joking.............I hope
    I'm sure he does. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, myself. Cheers.

now have fun children...and behave yourselves

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whaaaa....why Jim I'm shocked. You've addressed my complaints via PM and I thank you for that. I was actually referring to another board. Huh, must be coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    ?

I was speaking in general terms. Not all admins or mods who exhibit those types of behaviors have the same beliefs about gay marriage. Hey you're not implying that I was singling out somebody here are you? I'd never do that.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Honestly though, You've got a point Dirt.

We had a saying in the Army - the biggest Asshole is the guy who JUST made E5 (Sergeant). All of a sudden they have these 'powers' to f-with lower-enlisted. Generally, it goes to their heads.

I was and E4, pulling Guard-duty with another E4. We sat from 0000-0400 in a concrete shack cracking jokes; talking about friends and family. Two days later he got promoted to Sergeant. I walked up behind him and sorta bumped him to get his attention. I extended my hand when he turned around, to congratulate him. He said to me: "WHY did you just hit me? that's DISRESPECT to a NCO (non-commissioned officer). DROP!" and he put me down for push ups. After pushing a few times he told me to go and get my Team leader (another Sergeant).

My Team leader told me to stay where I was (away from the New NCO). He came back and asked me what I did. I told him the whole story. He said "Dude - that guy is an ASSHOLE. Seriously. He's a prick." Then he said the line to me about "the biggest assholes in the army."

Same thing happens Often (not always by any means) on forums. People get a little "power" and they lose their minds.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    I have found MOST moderators to be very laissez faire
    I have found those to be the best ones. Not singling anyone out but usually it's been my experience that someone who's user name starts with a 'J' like a Jefferey or Jill have always been great moderators. Again, I'm speaking in general terms and not specifically.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dirt mcgirt View Post
    I have found those to be the best ones. Not singling anyone out but usually it's been my experience that someone who's user name starts with a 'J' like a Jefferey or Jill have always been great moderators. Again, I'm speaking in general terms and not specifically.
    Ass-kisser....lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I challenge anyone here, to surf the internet blogs over, THOROUGHLY, and find one that is more lenient towards it's members than here.

Take your time.