Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default College pre-title games

Clemson ended up pulling away on Oklahoma and won 37-17. Alabama just stomped Michigan State 38-0.

Clemson and Alabama will play for the national championship on monday the 11th. I'm hoping that Clemson finds a way to win this one, but Alabama is really looking good now.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Clemson ended up pulling away on Oklahoma and won 37-17. Alabama just stomped Michigan State 38-0.

Clemson and Alabama will play for the national championship on monday the 11th. I'm hoping that Clemson finds a way to win this one, but Alabama is really looking good now.
    I actually think they have cheapened the bowl games big time. Who DOESN'T get to go to one? The local community college? They used to have them all on New Year's Eve or Day. When there was like only 5. We need to get back to rewarding accomplishment, not losers.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I actually think they have cheapened the bowl games big time. Who DOESN'T get to go to one? The local community college? They used to have them all on New Year's Eve or Day. When there was like only 5. We need to get back to rewarding accomplishment, not losers.
    I could not agree more. There are something like 120-124 NCAA Div I schools that field teams. At the end of the year, roughly half of
    those schools get Bowl bids, even ones that had .500% or slightly above regular season records.

It is all about revenue, not competition.

And the idea of playoffs for an eventual national champion is preposterous. For one it would lengthen the season immensely.
    Secondly, those kids are "supposed" to be in school for an education. Thirdly more games played would destroy their bodies.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I could not agree more. There are something like 120-124 NCAA Div I schools that field teams. At the end of the year, roughly half of
    those schools get Bowl bids, even ones that had .500% or slightly above regular season records.

It is all about revenue, not competition.

And the idea of playoffs for an eventual national champion is preposterous. For one it would lengthen the season immensely.
    Secondly, those kids are "supposed" to be in school for an education. Thirdly more games played would destroy their bodies.
    I agree. except it's also about rewarding losers. No Child Left Behind. I've lost plenty of games and more than a few fights in the ring/on the mat. If I get beat, I get beat. There's no crying in baseball and I have ZERO empathy and/or sympathy for those that do. Take your ass-kicking and move on the next game. And if you don't make the grade, no bowl game/tournament. Try again or quit but you ain't getting crap out of me if you can't hang.
    Last edited by Gunny; 01-01-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke