Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default 'Our Ports Flow Better' Than Ferrari's

http://wardsauto.com/10-best-engines...ohc-v-8?page=1

I'd love to have one of these in my stable. They've engineered the heck out of an already great "Coyote", added displacement, a flat-plane crank (first in a US car to my knowledge), an insane 8000 rpm redline, and achieved 110% volumetric efficiency. No turbos, no superchargers. 526 HP from 5.2 liters.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Love it!

4. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

That sure as hell didn't sound like any 318 I've ever owned!

My boat has the Ford 302 (5.0 L) and I'm only getting 300 HP out of it... she still gets with the program, though.

I'm very impressed that they pulled 526 HP out of a completely naturally aspirated 318 engine.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    That sure as hell didn't sound like any 318 I've ever owned!

My boat has the Ford 302 (5.0 L) and I'm only getting 300 HP out of it... she still gets with the program, though.

I'm very impressed that they pulled 526 HP out of a completely naturally aspirated 318 engine.
    Is your boat engine a Coyote motor, or the old small block? 300HP is pretty good for a small block Ford, which was originally developed in the 60's. Advanced for it's time, it's still a center cam, pushrod motor. These nodular iron block engines can be rebuilt many times and they will be around for a long time powering just about everything.

That was replaced by the "modular" engine line in the early 90's, designed with a 100mm bore spacing for manufacturing efficiency. That was developed as a 4.6L SOHC 2 valve motor, then 3V, then 4V, and ultimately a DOHC 4V with variable valve timing.

The Coyote motor enlarged the bore and lengthened the stroke to obtain 5L. It has DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, maximum 12mm lift, and higher compression ratio.

This new Voodoo engine increases bore, stroke, valve lift and compression. Most importantly it uses a flat plane crankshaft, which makes even left-right cylinder firing, allowing for increased intake and exhaust efficiency. All other US V8's, to my knowledge, have been cross plane.

Typical cross plane cranks result in left-right-left-right-left-left-right-right firing, giving the familiar "burble" exhaust note. The exhaust note for the Voodoo is left-right (repeat), and it will sound more like a European V8 car.

7. Thanks LongTermGuy, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Is your boat engine a Coyote motor, or the old small block? 300HP is pretty good for a small block Ford, which was originally developed in the 60's. Advanced for it's time, it's still a center cam, pushrod motor. These nodular iron block engines can be rebuilt many times and they will be around for a long time powering just about everything.

That was replaced by the "modular" engine line in the early 90's, designed with a 100mm bore spacing for manufacturing efficiency. That was developed as a 4.6L SOHC 2 valve motor, then 3V, then 4V, and ultimately a DOHC 4V with variable valve timing.

The Coyote motor enlarged the bore and lengthened the stroke to obtain 5L. It has DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, maximum 12mm lift, and higher compression ratio.

This new Voodoo engine increases bore, stroke, valve lift and compression. Most importantly it uses a flat plane crankshaft, which makes even left-right cylinder firing, allowing for increased intake and exhaust efficiency. All other US V8's, to my knowledge, have been cross plane.

Typical cross plane cranks result in left-right-left-right-left-left-right-right firing, giving the familiar "burble" exhaust note. The exhaust note for the Voodoo is left-right (repeat), and it will sound more like a European V8 car.

It's old-school, but a marine Redline version.

The amazing thing about it is the fuel economy. As long as I stay out of the secondaries on the Holley, I get about a 10 gallon round trip; whereas any other boat, including the 4-stroke outboards, is in the 15 to 20 gallon round trip economy range.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

9. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    It's old-school, but a marine Redline version.

The amazing thing about it is the fuel economy. As long as I stay out of the secondaries on the Holley, I get about a 10 gallon round trip; whereas any other boat, including the 4-stroke outboards, is in the 15 to 20 gallon round trip economy range.
    The small block Ford is still a good motor, durable, simple to fix, inexpensive and readily available parts. I've had several cars with them and they all got good fuel mileage.