Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default I Get Angry

I have to work 7p-7a tonight, so I stayed up all night and tried to watch some stuff on cable TV. I'll sleep during the day.

I had heard that Veep was a good program. I never found out because every 7th word was an f-word.

I had heard that Nurse Jackie was a good program. I never found out because every 8th word was a f-word. Lots of other obscenities, too.

Why do profanity and sex need to play central roles in so many otherwise good programs? Is the world I live in different from everyone else's world, a world where profanity is not okay? I can work all week and never heard a bad word even once among the girls I work with. The TV and movie world seem to think that using bad words is okay and normal. It is not okay and I have decided to take a stand against it. If a program has an excessive amount of bad words, I won't watch it. I have already nearly stopped going to the movies because of the language.

The world is failing not because of Islamic jihadism, racism, homophobia, poverty, or any of the other themes. It is failing because of the lowered standards among civilized people. The things we tolerate nowadays is beyond belief. And for that I partially blame the women of this world. We as women have always drawn the line on acceptable behavior. The fact that so many men misbehave is our fault. We tolerate such despicable behavior, so it will continue.

There is hardly anything I find less acceptable than foul-mouthed women.

Okay, sermon over.
    Last edited by Perianne; 01-20-2016 at 06:39 AM.

2. Thanks Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The real world is full of profanity among men and women. Television shows reflect that and sometimes exaggerate it
    Last edited by Black Diamond; 01-20-2016 at 06:37 AM.

4. Thanks sundaydriver thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    The real world is full of profanity among men and women. Television shows reflect that and sometimes exaggerate it
    Seriously, @Black Diamond, if I didn't watch TV or get on the internet, I would rarely hear (or read) profanity.

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    Seriously, @Black Diamond, if I didn't watch TV or get on the internet, I would rarely hear (or read) profanity.
    That's amazing to me. I guess It's good if you don't want to hear it.
    You don't hear foul language in the emergency room? Now that's really amazing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    That's amazing to me. I guess It's good if you don't want to hear it.
    You don't hear foul language in the emergency room? Now that's really amazing.
    I don't work in the Emergency Room any longer, not for about two years. But yes, profanity among the patients AND nurses was common.

The floor I work on now has mostly older nurses. The younger ones take their cues from us, I suppose.

9. Thanks sundaydriver thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I don't work in the Emergency Room any longer, not for about two years. But yes, profanity among the patients AND nurses was common.

The floor I work on now has mostly older nurses. The younger ones take their cues from us, I suppose.
    That sounds right

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Is it a 'cultural thing' ... &/or maybe a lack of broadcasting standards controls ?

I'm sure the biases are different on British television.

What I think is true is that British television features far less of permitted profanity than its American counterpart(s). We also have a 'watershed' set at 9PM, after which the 'rules' are relaxed somewhat, to allow for underage viewing considerations.

Quantity is less. You'll hear far fewer such expressions on British television. That said ... the range of words permitted is greater. In believe it's true that certain 4-letter words can be said on British television that wouldn't be permitted in America - BUT - actual usage is a lot less.

I've seen several interviews of American stars over the years where one lets loose with a profanity, then suddenly wonders aloud if it'd be permitted in the UK for airing, followed by surprise when it is. A couple of times, that was followed by a comment saying that American television was different ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I have to work 7p-7a tonight, so I stayed up all night and tried to watch some stuff on cable TV. I'll sleep during the day.

I had heard that Veep was a good program. I never found out because every 7th word was an f-word.

I had heard that Nurse Jackie was a good program. I never found out because every 8th word was a f-word. Lots of other obscenities, too.

Why do profanity and sex need to play central roles in so many otherwise good programs? Is the world I live in different from everyone else's world, a world where profanity is not okay? I can work all week and never heard a bad word even once among the girls I work with. The TV and movie world seem to think that using bad words is okay and normal. It is not okay and I have decided to take a stand against it. If a program has an excessive amount of bad words, I won't watch it. I have already nearly stopped going to the movies because of the language.

The world is failing not because of Islamic jihadism, racism, homophobia, poverty, or any of the other themes. It is failing because of the lowered standards among civilized people. The things we tolerate nowadays is beyond belief. And for that I partially blame the women of this world. We as women have always drawn the line on acceptable behavior. The fact that so many men misbehave is our fault. We tolerate such despicable behavior, so it will continue.

There is hardly anything I find less acceptable than foul-mouthed women.

Okay, sermon over.
    i agree with you 100%. Excellent rant. When women lose their way, too, civilization crumbles.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

13. Thanks Perianne, Drummond, LongTermGuy thanked this post