Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Paul Kantner, Jefferson Airplane Co-Founder & Guitarist, Dies at 74

Paul Kantner, Jefferson Airplane Co-Founder & Guitarist, Dies at 74
    Billboard 14 hours ago

Jefferson Airplane guitarist, vocalist and co-founding member Paul Kantner has died. He was 74.

Kantner passed away on Thursday (Jan. 28) of multiple organ failure, following a heart attack earlier in the week.

From 1965-1972, Jefferson Airplane was a pioneer in the Bay Area counterculture psychedelic rock scene, first defining what became known as the “San Francisco sound.”

Kantner and guitarist and vocalist Marty Balin formed the band in a bar called the Drinking Gourd, intending the group to be a folk-rock group. Amidst the city’s drug experimentation, they developed something far more interesting.

“Jefferson Airplane had the fortune or misfortune of discovering Fender Twin Reverb amps and LSD in the same week while in college. That’s a great step forward," Kantner told author and music historian Harvey Kubernik. "We went into it our normal selves…. The point is if you find something that makes you joyful take note of it. Amplify it if you can. Tell other people about it. That’s what San Francisco was about. Both musically, idealistically and metaphorically and every other way. That’s what we did here.”

As more and more flower children moved to San Francisco, Jefferson Airplane’s local following grew and it became the first of the city’s psych-rock bands to sign to a major label, releasing its debut Jefferson Airplane Takes Off in 1966. That same year, they became the first band to headline concert promoter Bill Graham’s now legendary Fillmore Auditorium.

By the following year, the band’s second album, Surrealistic Pillow, became a soundtrack to the Summer of Love. It hit No. 3 on the Billboard 200 with the help of singles "Somebody to Love" and “White Rabbit," as the rest of the country began following in San Francisco’s hippy footsteps.

"On our first U.S. tour we were in cities where all the kids came in prom gowns and tuxedos. Then we came back to Iowa a year later and they were having nude mud love-ins and everybody had their faces painted," Kantner told Kubernik.

Jefferson Airplane performed at the three most famous American rock festivals of the 1960s’ – Monterey in 1967 and Woodstock and Altamont in 1969. In 1996, Kantner was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his work with the band.

Kantner is the first of Jefferson Airplane's founding members to have passed away. He was also a founding member of the group’s spinoff band, Jefferson Starship. which took off in 1974.

Kantner is survived by three children: sons Gareth and Alexander and daughter China. Funeral arrangements are pending.

------------------------------------------------------

First Glen Frey , now Paul Kanter--folks our Rock n' Roll founders are dying off.
    Both were immensely talented individuals and both contributed so much..---Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Paul Kantner, Jefferson Airplane Co-Founder & Guitarist, Dies at 74
    Billboard 14 hours ago

Jefferson Airplane guitarist, vocalist and co-founding member Paul Kantner has died. He was 74.

Kantner passed away on Thursday (Jan. 28) of multiple organ failure, following a heart attack earlier in the week.

From 1965-1972, Jefferson Airplane was a pioneer in the Bay Area counterculture psychedelic rock scene, first defining what became known as the “San Francisco sound.”

Kantner and guitarist and vocalist Marty Balin formed the band in a bar called the Drinking Gourd, intending the group to be a folk-rock group. Amidst the city’s drug experimentation, they developed something far more interesting.

“Jefferson Airplane had the fortune or misfortune of discovering Fender Twin Reverb amps and LSD in the same week while in college. That’s a great step forward," Kantner told author and music historian Harvey Kubernik. "We went into it our normal selves…. The point is if you find something that makes you joyful take note of it. Amplify it if you can. Tell other people about it. That’s what San Francisco was about. Both musically, idealistically and metaphorically and every other way. That’s what we did here.”

As more and more flower children moved to San Francisco, Jefferson Airplane’s local following grew and it became the first of the city’s psych-rock bands to sign to a major label, releasing its debut Jefferson Airplane Takes Off in 1966. That same year, they became the first band to headline concert promoter Bill Graham’s now legendary Fillmore Auditorium.

By the following year, the band’s second album, Surrealistic Pillow, became a soundtrack to the Summer of Love. It hit No. 3 on the Billboard 200 with the help of singles "Somebody to Love" and “White Rabbit," as the rest of the country began following in San Francisco’s hippy footsteps.

"On our first U.S. tour we were in cities where all the kids came in prom gowns and tuxedos. Then we came back to Iowa a year later and they were having nude mud love-ins and everybody had their faces painted," Kantner told Kubernik.

Jefferson Airplane performed at the three most famous American rock festivals of the 1960s’ – Monterey in 1967 and Woodstock and Altamont in 1969. In 1996, Kantner was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his work with the band.

Kantner is the first of Jefferson Airplane's founding members to have passed away. He was also a founding member of the group’s spinoff band, Jefferson Starship. which took off in 1974.

Kantner is survived by three children: sons Gareth and Alexander and daughter China. Funeral arrangements are pending.

First Glen Frey , now Paul Kanter--folks our Rock n' Roll founders are dying off.
    Both were immensely talented individuals and both contributed so much..---Tyr
    Getting tired of these people dying without permission. RIP Paul. I loved Jefferson Airplane back in the day.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Getting tired of these people dying without permission. RIP Paul. I loved Jefferson Airplane back in the day.
    They were great as Jefferson Starship too IMHO.
    You know you are old when you start saying--"back in the day."
    I started doing that and only realized it after a couple months- "hey, that means I am old, damn it"..
    Quite a shock to me as I always figured I'd get killed/murdered before old age reared its usually ugly and painful head.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Edited thread title as BOLD tags and other attributes don't work in thread titles, looks neater this way.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Edited thread title as BOLD tags and other attributes don't work in thread titles, looks neater this way.
    Thanks.. -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    They were great as Jefferson Starship too IMHO.
    You know you are old when you start saying--"back in the day."
    I started doing that and only realized it after a couple months- "hey, that means I am old, damn it"..
    Quite a shock to me as I always figured I'd get killed/murdered before old age reared its usually ugly and painful head.-Tyr
    "Miracles" was my favorite song. Around Christmas 76. That was a Starship song.

You think YOU got problems? I never thought I's live past 40. Haven't figured out where that plan went wrong since.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post