Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Server slowness

A short while ago we had severe slowness. Figured out that we had about 4,500 users online, and of course about 4,400 of them being "bot spam". There were many IP's hitting us, and searching the forum for indexing or whatever.

Nighttrain was kind enough to get on the phone with me. Took forever due to the slowness, but one by one we started blocking IP subnets. Eventually it started picking up speed. We still have 3,000+ online, but they will disappear soon as they have been blocked. I will block more if I find them.

Most of them were foreign, and one massive USA company that apparently we were getting nailed by. Hopefully we'll be back to normal soon.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Drummond, Perianne, Balu, aboutime, Loralei and 4 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    A short while ago we had severe slowness. Figured out that we had about 4,500 users online, and of course about 4,400 of them being "bot spam". There were many IP's hitting us, and searching the forum for indexing or whatever.

Nighttrain was kind enough to get on the phone with me. Took forever due to the slowness, but one by one we started blocking IP subnets. Eventually it started picking up speed. We still have 3,000+ online, but they will disappear soon as they have been blocked. I will block more if I find them.

Most of them were foreign, and one massive USA company that apparently we were getting nailed by. Hopefully we'll be back to normal soon.

I suspected something of the kind (.. and posted on it ..). Yes, this site is now loading at something approaching normal speed. Glad to see that it's being sorted out. Thanks to all concerned ... I'd hate to see this site rendered inoperable !
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Thanks jimnyc, LongTermGuy, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

That was fun.. I've never participated in defending a site against a botnet before.

So, I'm just curious as to who the butthurt party was. Was it the hippie from CA? A random liberal that doesn't have the balls to debate?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Thanks jimnyc, Drummond, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Rick sat on the telephone with me, he was reading off multiple IP's to me to look up and helping me identify and block them. We would still likely be down/slow right now if not for his help!!!

I don't know if it was an "attack", or if it was runaway bots. Usually it would be just one bot scouring the entire site, where in this case it was a bunch. For example, there were many in the USA, and also a few from Romania!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Rick sat on the telephone with me, he was reading off multiple IP's to me to look up and helping me identify and block them. We would still likely be down/slow right now if not for his help!!!

I don't know if it was an "attack", or if it was runaway bots. Usually it would be just one bot scouring the entire site, where in this case it was a bunch. For example, there were many in the USA, and also a few from Romania!!
    'A bunch' suggests targeting to me. If it was a wholesale attack against many such sites in the US, surely there would be news reports saying that such a thing had happened. It'd surely also make the news, even in the UK ? But I've come across no such report. So your site was chosen ?

Jim, if so ... should you be flattered ?? Seems that someone out there is really bothered about your site's successful operation.

Stands to reason that a targeted attack comes from a source that finds outright attack preferable to attempts at debate ? To testing out standpoints publicly, instead, to test their worth ?

... so, from a Leftie source, then .. ? My thinking may be speculative. Seems to fit, though ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

10. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Jim. Romania? Really? Ring any bells....maybe???
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

12. Thanks jimnyc, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    'A bunch' suggests targeting to me. If it was a wholesale attack against many such sites in the US, surely there would be news reports saying that such a thing had happened. It'd surely also make the news, even in the UK ? But I've come across no such report. So your site was chosen ?

Jim, if so ... should you be flattered ?? Seems that someone out there is really bothered about your site's successful operation.

Stands to reason that a targeted attack comes from a source that finds outright attack preferable to attempts at debate ? To testing out standpoints publicly, instead, to test their worth ?

... so, from a Leftie source, then .. ? My thinking may be speculative. Seems to fit, though ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Jim. Romania? Really? Ring any bells....maybe???
    Guys, I'm no network expert like this. I'm good on certain things, but identifying and finding attacks are difficult. It wasn't even until I saw the users online that I realized something was up. We set a record today! LOL

I would have thought if it were someone commandeering, via a botnet from malware/virus, we would have seen IP requests from thousands of machines. We had thousands of requests during that time, but it was from about 12 IP addresses in total.

I've seen Google bots come here and have about 150 of their IP's here at once, and the same for MSN. I've seen it from foreign search engines as well, but I block most of them.

Could have been a few search engines gone awry, but I don't think so. I believe some weird behavior going on for sure, but it doesn't always mean it's directed. Could have been random too. Who knows.

Suffice to say, I'll be keeping a close eye on things. I have the webhost looking into a few things for me as well.

14. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

So this was YOUR fault? I was dismantling my freakin' computer and checking connections. You owe me a steak or something.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Thanks jimnyc, Drummond, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So this was YOUR fault? I was dismantling my freakin' computer and checking connections. You owe me a steak or something.
    Nevermind the geeky guy in the closet playing with the wires!!

18. Thanks Gunny, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Nevermind the geeky guy in the closet playing with the wires!!
    I think you did it on purpose because Jeff and I were talking about you.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I think you did it on purpose because Jeff and I were talking about you.
    Hmmmmm.... Ever hear of the old "tachy goes to coventry" in the older vbulletin days? I think you were able to set a member as such, and they can login, post and do everything, only the rest of the board wouldn't even see any of it. Kinda like putting that person on everyone's ignore list! LOL

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Hmmmmm.... Ever hear of the old "tachy goes to coventry" in the older vbulletin days? I think you were able to set a member as such, and they can login, post and do everything, only the rest of the board wouldn't even see any of it. Kinda like putting that person on everyone's ignore list! LOL
    I only did it to ONE person.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I only did it to ONE person.

Please tell me it was PsychoBabble.

24. Thanks Gunny, Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Please tell me it was PsychoBabble.
    Nah. It was some railroad mouth from NC that was worse. And yes, I said "worse". I only used it once because when you do the math, if you take the person out of tachy goes to coventry it screws up your board by inserting posts everywhere.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Nah. It was some railroad mouth from NC that was worse. And yes, I said "worse". I only used it once because when you do the math, if you take the person out of tachy goes to coventry it screws up your board by inserting posts everywhere.
    Ahhh yes, I never thought of that. Suddenly all those old posts would show up as new posts... that would get confusing.

I suppose once Tachy does go to Coventry, it would be best to extend that ban eternally. That would be even more entertaining than miserable user.
    Last edited by NightTrain; 07-21-2015 at 05:39 PM.

27. Thanks Gunny thanked this post