Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The mentally ill -- jailed and desperate for help

Story Highlights

Mentally ill inmates in Miami are housed on the "forgotten floor"
    Judge Steven Leifman says most are there as a result of "avoidable felonies"
    While CNN tours facility, patient shouts: "I am the son of the president"
    Leifman says the system is unjust and he's fighting for change

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/13/bts...ane/index.html

I do feel bad for the ones in there that really do have a disorder and who need help. I think that we should do everything in our power to help them. That way when they get out they are less likely to re-offend. If we just warehouse them then release them they will still have their problems and not know how to deal with them and keep going down their distructive path. I think it's criminal not to help anyone in our society with a mental disorder who want's or need help.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Most states don't have institutions that hold the mentally ill anymore. They have a few hospitals for the insane but due to lack of bed space many are released early and most have no where to go. They are people that should be watched 24 hours a day, but they are put out on the street to make room for others sent in by the courts.

Most larger jails have a psych unit where they house these people, but even that's only temporary.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .............

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Most states don't have institutions that hold the mentally ill anymore. They have a few hospitals for the insane but due to lack of bed space many are released early and most have no where to go. They are people that should be watched 24 hours a day, but they are put out on the street to make room for others sent in by the courts.

Most larger jails have a psych unit where they house these people, but even that's only temporary.
    We have a hospital here for the Criminaly Insane. That's what most cities need to have. Most of those people who are in there are much worse then regular offenders and desperatly need treatment not just confinement, and those hospitals offer both.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

There are too few resources for families that have adults that need mental health treatment. Truth is, the mentally ill either have to be 'well enough' to claim need on their own or so sick that they've attempted to hurt themselves or someone else. Sometimes they kill and end up on death row, that is wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    There are too few resources for families that have adults that need mental health treatment. Truth is, the mentally ill either have to be 'well enough' to claim need on their own or so sick that they've attempted to hurt themselves or someone else. Sometimes they kill and end up on death row, that is wrong.
    I couldn't agree more. They need to come up with a better system to combat this problem, not just treatment but diagnosis. Maybe then they would be able to prevent some outbursts etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    I couldn't agree more. They need to come up with a better system to combat this problem, not just treatment but diagnosis. Maybe then they would be able to prevent some outbursts etc.
    They need to listen to families and friends. Truth is, that has been missing for years, since 'patient rights' took hold.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .............

They need to listen to families and friends. Truth is, that has been missing for years, since 'patient rights' took hold.
    Even their normal family doctor should be able to tell the warning signs. I think it should be mandatory at that point for a doctor to refer the patient to a mental health professional. The way it is now they have to be a threat to themselves or someone else, and that is good to a point. People can show starting sign's and if they get help at that point it probably won't get to out of hand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Even their normal family doctor should be able to tell the warning signs. I think it should be mandatory at that point for a doctor to refer the patient to a mental health professional. The way it is now they have to be a threat to themselves or someone else, and that is good to a point. People can show starting sign's and if they get help at that point it probably won't get to out of hand.
    at least in Illinois, the best family, friends, doctors can do for someone needing hospitalization is 72 hours, which isn't easy. To convince a court of more takes someone admitting the person tried to do something that could get them convicted of a crime.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ..............

at least in Illinois, the best family, friends, doctors can do for someone needing hospitalization is 72 hours, which isn't easy. To convince a court of more takes someone admitting the person tried to do something that could get them convicted of a crime.
    That's how it is here. If a Cop, EMT or Health Care Professional think they are a danger to themselves or someone else they will put them in for 72 hours, but they are usually released in a day either because of over crowding or because they don't have insurance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That's how it is here. If a Cop, EMT or Health Care Professional think they are a danger to themselves or someone else they will put them in for 72 hours, but they are usually released in a day either because of over crowding or because they don't have insurance.
    money, insurance, crowding has zip to do with it. It's 'rights of the patient.'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ................

money, insurance, crowding has zip to do with it. It's 'rights of the patient.'
    I think if the patient need's to be hospitalized then do it. Don't deny someone treatment because they can't afford it. A lot of these people would have been under better control if that were the case. They should have a hospital even if run by the state handling nothing but the mentally ill, even on an outpatient level. Helping them with counseling, medications and treatment plans.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I think if the patient need's to be hospitalized then do it. Don't deny someone treatment because they can't afford it. A lot of these people would have been under better control if that were the case. They should have a hospital even if run by the state handling nothing but the mentally ill, even on an outpatient level. Helping them with counseling, medications and treatment plans.
    For some reason, those with mental problems don't recognize it. The law is on the side of denial, unless of course, they commit a crime, then they are 'sane.' After loved ones tried unsuccessfully to have them committed for years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ............

For some reason, those with mental problems don't recognize it. The law is on the side of denial, unless of course, they commit a crime, then they are 'sane.' After loved ones tried unsuccessfully to have them committed for years.
    Yea but their family doctor can. They should be given the authority to intervene and get the patient into a program or get them on medication. I bet if that would have happened when the VT shooter showed all the sign's, that tragedy wouldn't have happened. I mean school official's were trying to get that guy help. That is exactly what im saying, if someone see warning signs like that then he should be treated immediatly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Yea but their family doctor can. They should be given the authority to intervene and get the patient into a program or get them on medication. I bet if that would have happened when the VT shooter showed all the sign's, that tragedy wouldn't have happened. I mean school official's were trying to get that guy help. That is exactly what im saying, if someone see warning signs like that then he should be treated immediatly.
    Actually no, at least in Illinois. If someone will not voluntarily commit, the best the doctor, whether family or psychiatrist can do is 72 hours. Then they can try to convince the person, but it's very iffy. Meds take awhile to kick in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There are also the many cases where the people don't have family. These kind end up on the street. The only time they get any help is after they have been charged with a crime. And that help is minimal.

Patients rights is just another liberal excuse for putting them on the street where they can can hurt themselves or others.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.