Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default Best Remakes

The Temptations released the original in 1966, but the better version was by Rare Earth in 1970.

The guy singing, the drummer, was Peter Hoorelbeke (aka Peter Rivera). I think he probably had the best voice of any drummer in rock 'n' roll.

2. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default Unchained Melody

The music was written by songwriter Alex North almost twenty years before it was ever heard by anyone. When a movie producer asked North to write a song for his upcoming 1955 movie Unchained, North then asked lyricist Hy Zaret to write some lyrics for the song. Zaret refused to put the movie's title in the lyrics. It was then simply known as Unchained Melody. The original movie version is . It was nominated for an Oscar.

The Righteous Brothers released a version in 1965. It was a B-side to another song, but disc jockies liked it better than the A-side song (Hung On You) and played it instead. The result is a classic and is still the best and most famous recording of the song.

I don't know how many times my beloved husband and I slow danced to this song in our living room. I miss him soooo much.
    Last edited by Perianne; 02-17-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    The music was written by songwriter Alex North almost twenty years before it was ever heard by anyone. When a movie producer asked North to write a song for his upcoming 1955 movie Unchained, North then asked lyricist Hy Zaret to write some lyrics for the song. Zaret refused to put the movie's title in the lyrics. It was then simply known as Unchained Melody. The original movie version is . It was nominated for an Oscar.
    The first time I heard it was sung by Al Hibbler, the blind singer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

First described in a parable from Jesus. A little girl was struggling, carrying her baby brother. When asked if she was tired, she replied "No. He's not heavy, he's my brother".

It's a song of love. Written by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell (died a year later from leukemia), it was first recorded by Kelly Gordon. But the world-wide hit version was recorded by The Hollies in 1969.

6. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Written by John Ellison and recorded by his group Soul Brothers Six, it reached #91 on Billboards in 1967. The better version, by Grand Funk Railroad, reached #3 on Billboard in 1975.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    First described in a parable from Jesus. A little girl was struggling, carrying her baby brother. When asked if she was tired, she replied "No. He's not heavy, he's my brother".

It's a song of love. Written by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell (died a year later from leukemia), it was first recorded by Kelly Gordon. But the world-wide hit version was recorded by The Hollies in 1969.

Oh, Lord....this one got to me.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

9. Thanks Perianne thanked this post