Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    FWIW - I'm in a 'union' - but we don't pay dues...it's the best way to have a union, IMO. I'm unsure of any other gubbern-ment workers on the board, so dunno; maybe none of us pay any dues, etc?
    Hell no, I don't pay dues. I neither want nor need the union's representation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    FWIW - I'm in a 'union' - but we don't pay dues...it's the best way to have a union, IMO. I'm unsure of any other gubbern-ment workers on the board, so dunno; maybe none of us pay any dues, etc?
    I'm a long time union member, and I think you might check or investigate closely about not paying dues.

You maybe paying a small dues via some deduction on your pay check stub, but it doesn't print out as, "Dues", but uses some other jargon.

I've been a Union Construction electrician for years, but now am retired, and we didn't send in dues payments, but had the dues deducted from our weekly pay checks. Also, our employer, or Electrical contractor contributed to our dues too.

I'd be surprised if you weren't contributing something to the union in a monetary way. It maybe coming from your employer's contribution in some way, and bypassing your pay stub.

Unions need "moola" to operate, to Lobby, to pay their business agents, and other operating costs. Unions usually have to send some of their moneys to the upper echelon or head office of the organization to.
    Now, back to charity: I don't think Marx was saying or indicting liberals per se', John Doe, for being hypocritical, but was bringing up the usual liberal mantra that the conservatives are not sensitive to the poor or charitable contributors. I think Marx was just saying that some folks put their collective mouths or words into action, and do something, and don't just wring their hands about the plight of the poor, and find some person/causation or scapegoat to "finger". He stated that conservatives are not lacking in empathy/sensitivity, anymore than the democrats or liberals, but have another methodology for helping that they see as more productive, and constructive in bringing or encouraging folks to climb out of poverty, or need of outside assistance.

Government assistance isn't too unlike, what psychologists refer to in their jargon, as "enabling". This word is used in addiction and abuse situations where people are helped in a way that does not encourage them to initiate in their own strength/initiative a desire to become more self-sufficient, and not reliant on the government "nipple".

Some politicians not named and were mayors of large cities, initiated a program that made it more difficult for "street people" to obtain government "dole" checks without first getting into job training or placement programs by the respective city agencies. Of course the liberal/Democratic politicians of "said" cities cried, "murder" over this alleged travesty of cruelty toward the "unfortunate".

The outcome of the program was an appreciable decrease in street or homeless folks. Not because the migrated to another city that was more lenient with the welfare, but because many became working, tax paying, city citizens.

Sadly, many folks do lose enthusiam or desire to help themselves, and a little push or threat of some perceived security concerning their regular welfare, forced many to go into programs.

There are things in my life that I don't want to do, and I should. We all get into habitual ruts in our lives, whether poor, middle class, or rich. Sometimes some outside prodding is needed. Maybe its a spouse, close relative, close friend, priest, pastor, health considerations, or just plain old life changing beyond our control, that forces us to lift our carcass off the sofa. Never the less, when we earn or gain something by our own effort, it sticks with us, and encourages us to continue further. It's the human nature of us. We aren't designed to stagnate, and sometimes we need a push, and sometimes it seems unwelcome, but maybe, just maybe, we will be thankful for the momentary/temporary discomfort of having to apply some effort of our own to help ourselves out.
    Anyway, conservatives are indeed cast in a bad light, as uncaring, insensitive, unfeeling, and ungiving. That is so far from the truth, and is so unfair.
    Regards, Eightballsidepocket

"Nothing should be said anonymously behind a P.C., that can't be respectfully said in person"