Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Figured it out!!

A got a new motherboard. Then I figured it's not good without some more memory. Then a CPU. It looks much better when it's in a new case with more room to tie down all the cabling. I also got a device to connect all 5 of the internal fans to, which sits in a bay and I can turn the speed up and down when necessary. And of course a DVD burner.

So I'm only in the build stage in the other room. Got most of it together and just running tests before I move on. I turn the sucker on to make sure nothing explodes, the fans turn on, DVD opens and closes... all perfect - except it won't let me power it off!! I had to hit the power switch on my new power supply I installed. But why won't it let me power it off?

I tried for a day and a half, I don't want a computer that I have to turn off in such a manner. Since it was a brand new case, I figured maybe the switch was defective? But I didn't want to give up and I was in no rush, since I got this sucker up and running already. I tried various things I know myself. For the hell of it I took it all apart and put it back together too. No luck. I scoured the internet and no luck. Everyone said replace the switch.

10 cookies to anyone who can tell me what I did to fix the issue, what I FORGOT to do like an idiot the first time around!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    A got a new motherboard. Then I figured it's not good without some more memory. Then a CPU. It looks much better when it's in a new case with more room to tie down all the cabling. I also got a device to connect all 5 of the internal fans to, which sits in a bay and I can turn the speed up and down when necessary. And of course a DVD burner.

So I'm only in the build stage in the other room. Got most of it together and just running tests before I move on. I turn the sucker on to make sure nothing explodes, the fans turn on, DVD opens and closes... all perfect - except it won't let me power it off!! I had to hit the power switch on my new power supply I installed. But why won't it let me power it off?

I tried for a day and a half, I don't want a computer that I have to turn off in such a manner. Since it was a brand new case, I figured maybe the switch was defective? But I didn't want to give up and I was in no rush, since I got this sucker up and running already. I tried various things I know myself. For the hell of it I took it all apart and put it back together too. No luck. I scoured the internet and no luck. Everyone said replace the switch.

10 cookies to anyone who can tell me what I did to fix the issue, what I FORGOT to do like an idiot the first time around!!
    If you can figure out the configuration on this damned WIFI printer I'll send you two friggin boxes of cookies.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    If you can figure out the configuration on this damned WIFI printer I'll send you two friggin boxes of cookies.
    Easy if I were there! Do a self test on the printer and find out what IP address your router has assigned it. In your printer setup on your computer, tell it to print to the IP address instead of some stupid name - it's much more reliable. If you need help, gimme the make/model of your printer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Oh, and I'll hold you to those cookies, I'm a fat bastard!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Easy if I were there! Do a self test on the printer and find out what IP address your router has assigned it. In your printer setup on your computer, tell it to print to the IP address instead of some stupid name - it's much more reliable. If you need help, gimme the make/model of your printer!
    That would be the easy way out for you. Women have touched the computer. Figure THAT one out, Einstein.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That would be the easy way out for you. Women have touched the computer. Figure THAT one out, Einstein.
    When they are away:

1- Search on internet for your model, and how to do a self test -
    2 - Search on internet on "How to print to IP address windows X. with X being whatever your OS is.

It's "probably" gonna be the same no matter what. If you definitely have the printer WIFI turned on, and you can get that self test and IP address:

1. Ensure printer is turned on
    2. Open Control Panel / Device and Printers
    3. Click Add Printer
    4. Select Add Local Printer then click Next
    5. Select create new port, choose Standard TCP/IP from menu, then click Next
    6. Type static IP assigned to printer in Hostname or IP address field
      (port name is automatically IP_129.107.X.X where X is defined by static IP)
    7. Check option to Query Printer and Automatically Select Driver then click Next
    8. Click Finish in the Completing TCP/IP window
    9. If driver is not found in list click Have Disk and select Driver when prompted then click OK
    10. Use default name for printer then click Next
    11. Select option to Not Share Printer then click Next
    12. Click Print a Test Page to verify PC will print to printer then click Next
    13. Click Finish in the Completing add printer window

7. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

You two crack me up!

I am a hammer banger and get lost in techie shit!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

9. Thanks jimnyc, Gunny, LongTermGuy, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Have you checked the wires? Do you have a multimeter to make sure the wire between the switch and the pins on the motherboard is not defective? Have you also checked that the connector is properly connected to the pins on the motherboard? If it's shifted by one pin or put on backwards, you could get erratic behavior like that. Also, the BIOS could have a bug in it. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version? One last possibility is that the motherboard itself is defective.
    Last edited by tailfins; 03-19-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Have you checked the wires? Do you have a multimeter to make sure the wire between the switch and the pins on the motherboard are not defective? Have you also checked that the connector is properly connected to the pins on the motherboard? If it's shifted by one pin or put on backwards, you could get erratic behavior like that. Also, the BIOS could have a bug in it. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version? One last possibility is that the motherboard itself is defective?
    Keep in mind, I solved the problem already.

No multimeter needed. Nothing defective. All connectors were connected and snug. Bios is up to date that I am aware of. Motherboard is not defective.

The ONLY problem was turning the machine OFF. I could turn it on, but the switch would not turn it off. So think along the lines of a circuit going to turn things on and off...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Keep in mind, I solved the problem already.

No multimeter needed. Nothing defective. All connectors were connected and snug. Bios is up to date that I am aware of. Motherboard is not defective.

The ONLY problem was turning the machine OFF. I could turn it on, but the switch would not turn it off. So think along the lines of a circuit going to turn things on and off...
    You didn't have the switch grounded to the chassis.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    You didn't have the switch grounded to the chassis.
    Getting closer. But think about it, what case is going to have you ground it in such a manner anyway. You can see why this drove me nuts. So I just went through the entire process in my head like 20x. So think of anything at all when building your own computer, perhaps that could lead to some sort of grounding issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Getting closer. But think about it, what case is going to have you ground it in such a manner anyway. You can see why this drove me nuts. So I just went through the entire process in my head like 20x. So think of anything at all when building your own computer, perhaps that could lead to some sort of grounding issue.
    By not having all the components installed, the chassis wasn't completing the circuits for your various components!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    By not having all the components installed, the chassis wasn't completing the circuits for your various components!
    Nope, you went a little cold.

Power switch cable goes to motherboard...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Not certain without being able to see what you hooked up, and where. But my guess would be, one of the three prong plugs (if there are three, or four) is giving power to the wrong device.

I would remove all connections of the cables, and restart making sure the proper ones are in place.

Otherwise. Somebody else gets the cookies.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    You two crack me up!

I am a hammer banger and get lost in techie shit!
    Dude, I'm a retired marine and commercial electrician. I understand the techie shit right until a girl gets her hands on the computer. I'm surprised they can even boil water.