Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Why a Contested Convention Favors Cruz

I'm amazed at people who DEMAND the rules that call for a majority, which have existed since the founding of the GOP in 1856 be changed just for Donald.

Why a Contested Convention Favors Cruz

He points to Arizona as an example. Trump won the state’s primary on Tuesday evening, but regardless of what any campaign does, the majority of Arizona’s 58 delegates, who are unbound after the first ballot, are likely to defect to Cruz on subsequent votes.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...r-donald-trump
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

2. Thanks DLT thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    I'm amazed at people who DEMAND the rules that call for a majority, which have existed since the founding of the GOP in 1856 be changed just for Donald.

Why a Contested Convention Favors Cruz

National Review? Why not quote DU or PuffHo for anti-Trump rhetoric?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

4. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Maybe Cruz can convince the delegates that Trump has dropped out.

6. Thanks jimnyc, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Maybe Cruz can convince the delegates that Trump has dropped out.
    The same meme, even when the facts say otherwise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

A similar analysis from the Wall Street Journal if you prefer:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ted-cruz...ump-1458861959

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I can't help but think that a contested convention favors the voter. I believe that Trump has successfully made himself one of the most loathsome characters in recent political history. He is, from what I have heard, currently only garnering 19% support among women. I find it difficult to believe he wins the White House without more support from the gentler sex... People keep telling me that a vote for anyone but Trump is a vote for Hillary, I can't help but think that Trump winning the nomination makes Hillary a shoe-in for the job... Personally, I can't stand either of them and I can't see how any of us benefit by their presence in the Oval Office... The only way I cast my vote for the GOP this season is if by some miracle Kasich gets the nod and that's not fucking likely... The rest of them are a GOD damned embarrassment, if you don't think so then you haven't been paying attention... Or you are too blinded by bias and partisanship, two things that have driven this country to where it is now... I'd rather vote my conscience, pull the lever for Gary Johnson, and rest easy at night knowing I voted for the person I truly believe is the best for the job... At least when things get shittier under Trump or Clinton, and I firmly believe they will, I can say "Fuck you, I didn't vote for that turd..." It ain't much but it's something...

...end rant...
    Last edited by hjmick; 03-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

10. Thanks jimnyc, Noir thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    I can't help but think that a contested convention favors the voter. I believe that Trump has successfully made himself one of the most loathsome characters in recent political history. He is, from what I have heard, currently only garnering 19% support among women. I find it difficult to believe he wins the White House without more support from the gentler sex... People keep telling me that a vote for anyone but Trump is a vote for Hillary, I can't help but think that Trump winning the nomination makes Hillary a shoe-in for the job... Personally, I can't stand either of them and I can't see how any of us benefit by their presence in the Oval Office... The only way I cast my vote for the GOP this season is if by some miracle Kasich gets the nod and that's not fucking likely... The rest of them are a GOD damned embarrassment, if you don't think so then you haven't been paying attention... Or you are too blinded by bias and partisanship, two things that have driven this country to where it is now... I'd rather vote my conscience, pull the lever for Gary Johnson, and rest easy at night knowing I voted for the person I truly believe is the best for the job... At least when things get shittier under Trump or Clinton, and I firmly believe they will, I can say "Fuck you, I didn't vote for that turd..." It ain't much but it's something...

...end rant...
    First off I love your rants.

But if Kasich or even worse, someone no longer running, "wins" the nomination, there will be Hell to pay. I just don't know the degree of Hell..

12. Thanks hjmick, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

But if Kasich or even worse, someone no longer running, "wins" the nomination, there will be Hell to pay. I just don't know the degree of Hell..

It would certainly be interesting...

And thanks for the love...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

...end rant...
    Hell, I'll be the first to say that none of them are perfect, not even Trump, not Kasich, not Cruz, nor anyone else bounced out already. I suppose everyone is looking for a little something different, and what the priorities are on all of the things they are looking for. With that said, Trump is still clearly my man.

The last thing I want is what we have had before, and that is definitely what Hillary is offering, and I also believe the other from the GOP as well. Trump leads in everything "I" am looking for in a president.

If women run to Hillary it's because they are delusional and lead by a carrot on a stick from a career liar. At least with Trump I know where he is coming from, even if many don't like the way he says it.

And yes, I know a lot of this is followed by 'Planned parenthood - and a couple of other things' he has changed stances on over the years. I'm cool with that. There aren't a whole lot of politicians out there that haven't changed certain stances.

And be forewarned, and NOT FROM ME, but just as many will sit back IF you're end game is correct, and state that if folks went with the majority and worked in unity as a team, that Hillary wouldn't be in office. Saw that same blame game in the early 90's with Perot - and many to this day still blame Perot AND those who voted for him for putting Clinton in office. It's the nature of the game. Some are going to blame no matter what, from both sides of the aisle. Me? For years, and from day one this year - I have always said that I make a list of a ton of things that I would like to see, see who rates the highest based on that. Simply put, for me, Trump simply ranks higher in the things "I'm" looking for.

15. Thanks hjmick, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

First off I love your rants.

So there will be hell to pay if long-standing rules are followed? Trump's magic number is about 1175 delegates. At 1150, Trump will likely lose the nomination.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So there will be hell to pay if long-standing rules are followed? Trump's magic number is about 1175 delegates. At 1150, Trump will likely lose the nomination.
    Yes, within the rules, but ain't happening, so don't get your hopes up with a lot of the articles from upset folks lingering for this. If Trump falls 25 short, he will get the nomination.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes even if rules are followed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yes, within the rules, but ain't happening, so don't get your hopes up with a lot of the articles from upset folks lingering for this. If Trump falls 25 short, he will get the nomination.
    1237 is the majority. 1175 means convincing 62 delegates that he's "close enough ". If his deficit exceeds 60, more and more delegates will be convinced multiple ballots are necessary.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes even if rules are followed.
    That's another angle to attack Trump : his sense of entitlement. He expects centuries old rules to be changed just for him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

That's another angle to attack Trump : his sense of entitlement. He expects centuries old rules to be changed just for him.
    He doesn't expect rules to be changed at all, he is simply telling the truth. I understand rules are rules but if he goes in just missing the number and they give the nomination to one of their puppets well you can bet there will be hell to pay. Lets face it, the only reason Trump is doing as well as he is is that people are tired of the BS from both sides. And yes even though its within the rules people are going to raise hell, people are tired of others rioting and protesting over such things as chalk on steps ( that's right no riots there, they needed to suck their mamma's, well you got the idea ) The way they do the delegates doesn't mean he didn't get the majority and now we have these super pacs doing everything they can do to get folks to stray from him, yea some of us are smart enough to see what is going on and are pissed about it. You can bet your ass if he misses by 25 and they give it to someone else there will be hell to pay. Trump is what ya call a peaceful protest or a peaceful over throw of the government, let them try to slide a puppet in and it isn't going to be peaceful any more, JMO so I guess time will tell.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

22. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post